What Are You Listening To?

@zinniabooklover ah I know iko iko, is that her song or a cover? It was fun, so that full concert is on youtube.

Don’t know that second song, who made it famous if it is a standard? It rings a bell, didn’t Scott Walker sing this too?

She’s got a good voice

@zinniabooklover ah I know iko iko, is that her song or a cover?
Cover version. One of those songs everyone does. There's various stories about it's origin but is usually described as a New Orleans song from the 1950's written by ... ?

It was fun, so that full concert is on youtube.
Yes. Go to the Cyndi Lauper Fans Channel on YT. Or just Google Cyndi in Paris, the whole thing should come up. If you go onto the Fans channel version you get good quality (pretty much the same quality as the actual video) and time stamps for each song.

Don’t know that second song, who made it famous if it is a standard?
Dead famous. Loads of peeps cover it. French song written by, IIRC, Jacques Brel.

It rings a bell, didn’t Scott Walker sing this too?
Yep, he did.

She’s got a good voice
Her voice is freakin' awesome!

@zinniabooklover oh yes of course I know the Jacques Brel version. Belgiums greatest artist ever lol, it is just that my French stinks but Brel is a genius songwriter and passionate performer.
I prefer Scott Walkers Brel covers because I understand English but not French.

Scott Walker’s first 4 albums I think are chock full of Brel songs, each one of them is brilliant. I played these albums a lot when I was in college 150 years ago, Incredible vocalist!

Brel does them better but yeah French…

Scott Walker’s first 4 albums I think are chock full of Brel songs, each one of them is brilliant. I played these albums a lot when I was in college 150 years ago, Incredible vocalist!
He really is. I adore him.

Brel does them better but yeah French…
I just don't cope well with arty French peeps, lol. I'm fine with Edith Piaf and Guesch Patti but that's more or less it. I am a pleb!

I just don't cope well with arty French peeps, lol. I'm fine with Edith Piaf and Guesch Patti but that's more or less it. I am a pleb!
Me neither 🤣 but it is really awesome to see Brel perform his songs. So passionate and that in combination with the accordion etc. Such a great sound. When I see translations of his lyrics I’m always amazed how good it is. He is our Dylan you know. Not French! He also has a couple of songs in Dutch.

A french tune I love is Gigi L’amoroso by Dalida. Love those lyrics.

Luther Vandross / Dance with My Father

4m 19s

Edit: Cameos by Stevie Wonder and Quincy Jones!

Last edited:
Wow Bill I can’t believe you wrote this after gentle sweet songs like grandma’s hands, let me in your life or lean on me
The 70s had some great troubled relationship music: blood on the tracks by Dylan, Here my dear by Marvin Gaye, Over by Peter Hammill and now this scathing track. Withers goes hard in this one!

Wow Bill I can’t believe you wrote this after gentle sweet songs like grandma’s hands, let me in your life or lean on me
The 70s had some great troubled relationship music: blood on the tracks by Dylan, Here my dear by Marvin Gaye, Over by Peter Hammill and now this scathing track. Withers goes hard in this one!
He never lost the funk!

I had no idea she was a singer herself, there is a lot I don't know.
I've only listened to a handful of her songs. There's only two I know well. The one I already posted and this one:

Lisa Marie Presley / Don't Cry Daddy - 1997

Last edited:
Ray Perez & Perucho Torcat - They Do It
perez_raype_theydoit~_101b.jpg

I have just discovered this brand new song by a Polish band called Riverside. I have no background info on them.
A blend of 80s synth pop with some heavy guitar parts mixed in. Very catchy stuff

Back