What do you think of Michael's performance with N*Sync at the 2001 MTV VMAs?

I can appreciate different 'modern' artists showing respect for Michael Jackson but there wasn't a lot about the Invincible era that I liked. The handful of live performances I remember weren't very good and lacked the enthusiasm he usually had. Really seemed to be going through the motions for the entire thing. The last time he really performed like Michael Jackson was MJ and Friends in 1999.
I’ve always felt like this. The craziest thing is, it’s just two years between 1999-2001. What happened during this short time?

If only Mike had been ready to release Invincible in 1999, he looked sharp, focused, healthy and he seemed ready.

I love watching MJ and Friends because it's some of his best performing in years, his moves are really sharp and fluid. He didn't look 40 at all.

Such a shame about the accident in Munich, it clearly affected him more than we realised

I’ve always felt like this. The craziest thing is, it’s just two years between 1999-2001. What happened during this short time?
I wonder if the bridge accident at one of the shows in 1999 had anything to do with it? That caused him to have a really bad back injury and I wonder if that made him addicted to pain killers again.

I wonder if the bridge accident at one of the shows in 1999 had anything to do with it? That caused him to have a really bad back injury and I wonder if that made him addicted to pain killers again.
Oh that’s a good point. I forgot about this. I believe you’re right, it spiraled downwards after that. Both accidents that had a major effect on his life both happened on stage and happened due to carelessness and negligence. I wish he would have sued these companies to oblivion.

I didn't think the bridge incident looked too bad and that the injuries were exaggerated.

Michael was already suffering from a bad back on the History tour judging by him holding it whenever he did the little hop skip move

The last time he really performed like Michael Jackson was MJ and Friends in 1999.
damn thats crazy i always thought the opposite. i thought he looked to be in bad health, looked like he was even skinnier than he was during the bad tour (and he was already small) and the lack of live vocals made these shows just "ok" for me. the only song is rewatch from these shows is dangerous cause that version goes hard

This was because his record company wanted to introduce Michael Jackson to the young generation (via a connection with a successful at that time boy band), hence his short performance with NSYNC.
MJ doesn't need to dance with the Backstreet Boys for a few seconds to be introduced to the younger generation lol

I was disappointed that he was only there for a short time. I was hoping that he would come back with a solo performance, unfortunately no

MJ doesn't need to dance with the Backstreet Boys for a few seconds to be introduced to the younger generation lol
It was the record company that forced him to do certain things back then in order to better promote his image and his new album.

The record company also forced him at that time to sit down and to sign copies of his new album for a bunch of fans at Virgin Megastore (in 2001).
Michael had some of the worst luck. Pepsi commercial, spider bite, the bridge accident in 1999. Poor man couldn't get a break
The spider bite was apparently a lie on his part.

Michael Jackson did not like the unflattering court photos (of him) taken the previous day, he got angry about that, and he apparently decided to come up with an excuse (alleged spider bite) in order to avoid appearing in court the following day.

Michael Jackson used to come up with excuses in order to avoid appearing in court on certain days.

MJ at age 42 clearly ain't Usher at age 42, physically. Usher in his prime still wasn't as interesting, to me, as MJ clearly past his.

Usher is clearly healthier, no lupus, back pain, or anything else glaring. But again, does that interest anyone here really? There's just such a large divide, it's about that aura. It doesn't go away.

MJ at age 80, if he lived that long, would still be fascinating to see.

The spider bite was apparently a lie on his part.

Michael Jackson did not like the unflattering court photos (of him) taken the previous day, he got angry about that, and he apparently decided to come up with an excuse (alleged spider bite) in order to avoid appearing in court the following day.

Michael Jackson used to come up with excuses in order to avoid appearing in court on certain days.
It was not a lie. Even his autopsy report noted a large scar on his right shin where the spider bite was. But of course the media pretended it was a lie, like they did with his vitiligo.

I saw the performance for the first time in a while. Michael's dancing was quite sharp, given his very short cameo. N*Sync showed great respect for him at that show.
I am Michael Joseph Jackson I am still alive here's proof my website
tiktok.com/@michaeljackson1singer

It was not a lie. Even his autopsy report noted a large scar on his right shin where the spider bite was. But of course the media pretended it was a lie, like they did with his vitiligo.
doesn't look like a lie
The spider bite was apparently a lie on the singer's part, considering also what certain experts stated about that.

For example, entomologist Rick Vetter (at the University of California) stated back then:

"The fact that Michael Jackson says he has a spider bite is a bunch of crap … [Michael] Jackson has no idea what he's talking about" (Rick Vetter)

Rick Vetter also noted that spiders rarely bite people.

Also, video producer Marc Schaffel revealed that the wound was not by a spider bite, but by a self inflicted heroin needle:

"[Michael Jackson] had the IV (intravenous) stuff back then. It wasn't a spider bite. It was an IV he pulled out of his leg. The needle broke off" (Marc Schaffel, The Globe Interview)

Marc Schaffel was very close to Michael Jackson at that time.

The spider bite was apparently a lie on the singer's part, considering also what certain experts stated about that.

For example, entomologist Rick Vetter (at the University of California) stated back then:

"The fact that Michael Jackson says he has a spider bite is a bunch of crap … [Michael] Jackson has no idea what he's talking about" (Rick Vetter)

Rick Vetter also noted that spiders rarely bite people.

Also, video producer Marc Schaffel revealed that the wound was not by a spider bite, but by a self inflicted heroin needle:

"[Michael Jackson] had the IV (intravenous) stuff back then. It wasn't a spider bite. It was an IV he pulled out of his leg. The needle broke off" (Marc Schaffel, The Globe Interview)

Marc Schaffel was very close to Michael Jackson at that time.
There's zero proof that Michael lied. Michael said it was a spider bite and then provided photo proof, so I'll believe Michael over tabloids. Marc Schaffel is NOT a credible source and "experts" who get paid to say whatever tabloids want to hear are even less credible.

Your first version was this:

But now you changed your mind and decided to go with the needle story?

If only Mike had been ready to release Invincible in 1999, he looked sharp, focused, healthy and he seemed ready.

I love watching MJ and Friends because it's some of his best performing in years, his moves are really sharp and fluid. He didn't look 40 at all.

Such a shame about the accident in Munich, it clearly affected him more than we realised
The Billie Jean dance moves looked a bit stiff in 1999. Not as good as in HIStory Tour.

Every thread is full of absolute garbage by the same users over and over.

Horrible quotes by failed business partners and liars as if it’s gospel.

So boring to read
But no random pivots to Invincible?

We're back to business basically.

Every thread is full of absolute garbage by the same users over and over.

Horrible quotes by failed business partners and liars as if it’s gospel.

So boring to read
ok then. here is what I think:
no one of these Breakfast Boys could've moved as fast and sharp like MJ did that day in 2001

The Billie Jean dance moves looked a bit stiff in 1999. Not as good as in HIStory Tour.
Hey each to their own mate. I thought Mike had more energy and his moves seemed more smooth than in 97.

Mike did seem like he more lean that he was during the HIStory tour, maybe that had an affect?

95 was the peak of MJs performance prowess, I think that's fair to say. There's nothing really at any point after that year that surpasses it, but I enjoy the complexities of the later choreography more than the raw more unrefined energy of the earlier tours. Still, Bad Tour reigns supreme.

Back