What genre were the up-tempo songs on Invincible?

Ok so b4 this thread turned into "my favorite and poorest" songs from Invincible, I was hoping we could figure out what genre the songs mentioned on the first post were. So there is a pop feel to it and a slight R&B... WHAT ELSE DO Y'all think?

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Industrial Pop

Always wondered this 'cause I could never accept the fact that MJ made simply band boy pop, makes me cringe thinking about it. That's not an insult to boy bands, just putting him in his rightful place above them. The thing with genres is that they overlap a lot so you can't always put something in one and with how MJ always had R&B mixed with something else it's even harder. The term Industrial Pop seems right, but what does Industrial imply exactly. I mean I know bands like NIN would be industrial rock. Someone once said this was MJ's own brand of Hip-hop. Anyone have something to say on that? Personally Industrial Pop fits better. Unfortunately these are MJ's poppiest songs IMO (bleh).

I'm a new member so my posts have to be verified, but I forgot to add this to my post (moderators please merge my posts):

What's a middle eight? I'm guessing it's referring to something about the music maybe the tempo?

I'm a new member so my posts have to be verified, but I forgot to add this to my post (moderators please merge my posts):

What's a middle eight? I'm guessing it's referring to something about the music maybe the tempo?

Middle eight is the bridge

Quench, some people refer to the bridge as "middle eight". Another term some use is also "release".

"Middle eight" used to refer to the length of said bridge- about 8 bars long. (4 beats per bar times 8).

^^Sounds extremely schematic and many bridges are definitely not 8 bars long. There are also attempts to explain the bridge in its tonality- on what chord to end the bridge with- so that it can be tied back to the next verse or chorus.
(our ears are basically expecting certain progressions that make music "repeatable" and recognizable to us :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_(music))

I define bridge more along the lines of: "Something that's neither chorus or verse".

Some of the up-tempo songs resemble those on HIStory and Dangerous. But I don't think they're really new jack swing songs either. Industrial pop, as someone mentioned above, seems about right.

My list goes:

Excellent
Unbreakable
Speechless
Whatever Happens

Good
Heartbreaker
Break Of Dawn
You Rock My World
Butterflies
The Lost Children

Okay
Invincible
Heaven Can Wait
2,000 Watts
You Are My Life
Privacy
Threatened

Poor
Don't Walk Away
Cry

They are pop songs, just with electronic/industrial production.

I think a more interesting question is, would MJ be making K-Pop music if he was alive? He loved all nations. How diverse would his taste be?

Heartbreaker is somewhat hard to place in a genre…

Some traces of New Jack Swing… mostly in 2000 Watts.

They are pop songs, just with electronic/industrial production.

I think a more interesting question is, would MJ be making K-Pop music if he was alive? He loved all nations. How diverse would his taste be?
K-Pop? I don’t think so.

K-Pop basically owes everything to Michael (and Janet) so I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch. it’s an absolute beast at the moment, he’d definitely be looking at what’s going on over there.
And he gave People of the World away to J-Friends. He cared about multinational artists.

K-Pop basically owes everything to Michael (and Janet) so I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch. it’s an absolute beast at the moment, he’d definitely be looking at what’s going on over there.
Yes, but I wouldn’t know how to “do K-pop” unless you’re a Korean artist. It’s not really a musical genre.

Back