What music videos was filmed with “film cameras”?

Well yeah I'm not gonna expect the estate to suddenly stop lying about everything and anything now.

20230719_154840.jpg

This goes out to all the people on here who be defending Branca. Will these people say he's not lying now?

to play the devils advocate here, by saying “professionally filmed” I’m certain he means filmed in HD (film) with the intention of being released because even he can’t say something that stupid considering they released a professionally filmed bad tour in bad25 lol. But when you think about it he directly contradicts his own words in the next sentence when he says that they’re searching for it haha.

We know the bad tour was both professionally filmed and shot on film. Whether they’ve found the footage is an entirely different matter.

Maybe the show isn’t complete on film? Just songs from different locations

People hated Bucharest because of that very reason
That was not the reason people “hated” Bucharest. The big reason was because of how it was edited (the crowd footage, crowd noise, angels etc.) I’ve actually never come across someone who hated it because of some small parts from other concerts.

Last edited:
People hated Bucharest because of that very reason
That was not the reason people “hated” Bucharest. The big reason was because of how it was edited (the crowd footage, crowd noise, angels etc ) etc. I’ve actually never came across someone who hated it because of some small parts from other concerts.
I'll go even further.

It was released as "The Dangerous Tour: Live in Bucharest", so anyone would be expecting authenticity.
If they do have random songs from random shows that could be compiled into a single show, it could be released as a Bad Tour concert film, not a specific concert/date.

It's a whole different game.

to play the devils advocate here, by saying “professionally filmed” I’m certain he means filmed in HD (film) with the intention of being released because even he can’t say something that stupid considering they released a professionally filmed bad tour in bad25 lol. But when you think about it he directly contradicts his own words in the next sentence when he says that they’re searching for it haha.
Well, here's an excerpt of the official Bad25 PR. They were stupid enough to announce content that didn't make it onto the final product.

A CD of the re-mastered original BAD album

• A CD containing previously unreleased material recorded in Michael’s personal studio at
Hayvenhurst. This material includes early demo versions of songs from the album as
well as demos for songs not included on the final album. All of this material is being
released as it was recorded during the BAD sessions. Nothing has been added. In
addition, this CD will also include new remixes from internationally renowned
DJ/producers

• A CD showcasing the audio from the sound truck recordings of the July 16th Wembley

That was not the reason people “hated” Bucharest. The big reason was because of how it was edited (the crowd footage, crowd noise, angels etc.) I’ve actually never come across someone who hated it because of some small parts from other concerts.
As one reviewer put it, they also stood fast to the 5 second rule, which means that no scene should last more than 5 seconds.

The negative thing of that is all these quick scenes (that come one after another) can literally cause nausea to the viewers.

Also, from a marketing perspective it makes sense why they included so many crowd/fans footage: they wanted to show what means for a fan to be in a Michael Jackson concert, which would boost ticket sales of Michael Jackson's upcoming concerts.
It was released as "The Dangerous Tour: Live in Bucharest", so anyone would be expecting authenticity.
Hardly anyone realized that there were some small parts from other concerts that were inserted into Bucharest concert.

At least 1 Wembley show was completely shot on film. Thanks to Warren Eagles article. https://icolorist.com/grading-michael-jackson/
I wish the estate knew/talked to Frank about this before he passed. He is the last person that we know of who had the film.
I've just read through his page and something caught my eye. He says that 2 out of the 5 July Wembley shows were shot, but how's that?

Both the official music video and the 2012 montage have footage from the 22nd. Meanwhile, the montage also has footage from the 14th (black mic), but there are some angles on the mv that I could swear are from the 15th since they don't seem to match the 14th.
Also the behind the stage angle on the 2012 montage that shows a silver mic, but doesn't match the 22nd amateur footage.

Well, here's an excerpt of the official Bad25 PR. They were stupid enough to announce content that didn't make it onto the final

• A CD containing previously unreleased material recorded in Michael’s personal studio at
Hayvenhurst. This material includes early demo versions of songs from the album as
well as demos for songs not included on the final album. All of this material is being
released as it was recorded during the BAD sessions. Nothing has been added. In
addition, this CD will also include new remixes from internationally renowned
DJ/producers
To be fair, Al Capone can technically be regarded as an “early demo version” of Smooth Criminal. But I’m pretty sure they did not mean that by “early demo versions”.

I've just read through his page and something caught my eye. He says that 2 out of the 5 July Wembley shows were shot, but how's that?

Both the official music video and the 2012 montage have footage from the 22nd. Meanwhile, the montage also has footage from the 14th (black mic), but there are some angles on the mv that I could swear are from the 15th since they don't seem to match the 14th.
Also the behind the stage angle on the 2012 montage that shows a silver mic, but doesn't match the 22nd amateur footage.
It appears that he was wrong about it, which begs the question how well he remembered the fact that, not just a few songs, but full shows were allegedly shot on film. There is definitely July 15th footage in that music video and the behind the stage angle must be July 23.

It appears that he was wrong about it, which begs the question how well he remembered the fact that, not just a few songs, but full shows were allegedly shot on film. There is definitely July 15th footage in that music video and the behind the stage angle must be July 23.
Good points. Probably just a minor mistake on his part. Maybe he was only told/present/involved for 2 nights? Regardless, you wouldn't mistake editing/grading one or two songs compared to an entire concert. He also had a VHS copy. He's also
active on twitter (and has confirmed a full show was filmed several times)

All of the Bad era music videos certainly are preserved on Film. Martin Scorsese has Bad for sure. Moonwalker in HD should have been posted on the main YouTube channel.

Who Is It definitely was filmed. It would be great in 4K.
Whether or not it was shot on film, it still could have been edited on videotape. If that is the case, they would have to get the original film and edit it over if they aren't going to use the tape edit. If there are any computer effects, those would have to be done over from scratch, which would mean it's not exactly the same video. Like when they added new effects on the blu-ray version of the 1960s Star Trek TV show. Isn't there 2 videos for that anyway, like one with some old footage? Like there's the regular Smooth Criminal and the speedy version that was sometimes shown on MTV.

Black or White is absolutely, 100% shot on film based on that photo. That's a Panavision camera - potentially the Panavision Platinum Panaflex, from 1986.

Which would mean it was shot in 35mm film - which would scan to 4k easily, 6k res at a push.

There are a LOT of digital FX on that short film though, so I'd imagine it would be very costly and time consuming to replicate those.

Whether or not it was shot on film, it still could have been edited on videotape. If that is the case, they would have to get the original film and edit it over if they aren't going to use the tape edit. If there are any computer effects, those would have to be done over from scratch, which would mean it's not exactly the same video. Like when they added new effects on the blu-ray version of the 1960s Star Trek TV show. Isn't there 2 videos for that anyway, like one with some old footage? Like there's the regular Smooth Criminal and the speedy version that was sometimes shown on MTV.
Yes that's true and likely. There's minimal effects in that video though. David Fincher can easily come around to doing that. The estate should ask.

And yeah, there's a goofy music video compilation, that was the result of the pivot from Who is It to Give In To Me: this was the actual biggest reason Dangerous' chart performance started to suffer.

Back