Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t like Jagger’s voice so I hate his State of Shock duet. I am a big Freddie fan so I know that I would have loved his State of Shock duet.

I don’t like Jagger’s voice so I hate his State of Shock duet. I am a big Freddie fan so I know that I would have loved his State of Shock duet.
I've actually always liked Jagger's voice a lot. But it's funny, since becoming an MJ fan I find no one's voice does anything for me anymore in comparison. Everyone else is just noise to me now 😂

Maybe that will change once I've been a fan a lot longer, but I don't know. I'm addicted to his voice.

The only explanation to this is they are planning a 2-LP edition so it's a fitting duration.
I don't think so. There are plenty of albums that come out today that don't fill up an entire CD. It means nothing.

MJ dropping mediocre songs for Victory is bullshit. Be not always is one of his best ever songs and state of shock with Mick Jagger screams hit material (which it was going top 5 in the US).

Also someone here said he rehearsed be not always for the victory tour so I’m sure he held it in high regard himself
Is your favorite thing to do here serving up bad takes?

I'm kidding, actually. I think Victory is pretty underrated. I love Be Not Always as well. It's like the perfect answer to Earth Song or songs of a similar caliber.

State of Shock would've been a hit if Freddie Mercury had stayed on. As it was released, adding Mick Jagger was like pouring nice firm concrete onto my tires.

If I am grading each of the track reveals out of 5:

Starlight - 4.25/5
Got The Hots - 2/5
Who Do You Know - 5/5
Carousel - 4/5
Behind The Mask (Mike's Mix) - 4.75/5
Can't Get Out Of The Rain - 0/5
The Toy - 4.75/5
Sunset Driver - 3.75/5
What A Lovely Way To Go - 5/5
She's Trouble - 4.75/5.

Despite being unhappy with the inclusion of CGOTTR and Got The Hots, I am overall quite happy with the track list. Sure, I would have liked to have seen songs like Nite Line, Hot Street, Rolling The Dice but maybe, we get them on Thriller 50.
Tbf, it is really hard to hear Can't Get Out of the Rain these days outside of YouTube. Butttt, that's why you put it on the Disc 3.

“Be Not Always” is nice, but I always got bored with “State of Shock” after the first minute or so. It doesn’t really go anywhere or do anything particularly interesting. I’d love to hear them put Freddie Mercury’s voice over the finished instrumental though; like SmoothGangsta said, I don’t think Jagger’s voice complements Michael’s at all. MJ and Freddie blended far better.

If he was still with us, we wouldn’t get what we are getting now. The terrible thing is he is gone, but we are fortunate enough to be blessed with new music.
If he were still here, we would be getting a lot of new songs, i would have seen hem multiple times live in London, I prefer him alive for that. I love unheard music, but he would have released great music by now!

I'm told there are 5 videos in the campaign. three are clearly Billie Jean, Beat It, and Thriller. Other two I don't know. Let's wait and see.
What are the chances that one of those videos is a performance of one of the thriller songs from victory tour?

Roll The Dice might be a very rough demo that might not really be releasable. All we know is that it was supposedly done in a day. Typically Rod would recycle songs that never made it so I'm surprised it never resurfaced with another artist.
Even if the song is releaseable it probably isn't a good song to begin with seeing how MJ himself said it wasn't good enough and never worked on it again afterwards lol. Who Do You Know might be a better song.

Even if the song is releaseable it probably isn't a good song to begin with seeing how MJ himself said it wasn't good enough and never worked on it again afterwards lol. Who Do You Know might be a better song.
Where and when did he say that? Please add sources to such statements so others can follow your discussion.

30+ years as a fan of Michael Jackson and I have everything Michael has released to date, pre and post death, but this takes the final straw, for those of you that can take something from Thriller 40 congratulations and I wish I felt the same, but I think the manor in which the estate have run not only this campaign but multiple since 2009 has been nothing short of embarrassing bar a few exceptions.

They are a multi billion dollar business and how they have handled this entire Thriller 40 campaign from announcement to today is shambolic, the original font on the Thriller album concept was embarrassing, they had to be pressured by fans, they then continued to sort of share information regarding the track list without actually saying what the tracks where, they used squashed up repetitive font on a white background, they have completely failed to advertised and promote the album and the most inexcusable of the lot is the fact they have left of legitimate Thriller outtakes and replaced them with already released Off The Wall era tracks, a complete embarrassment.

The estate do not care about the fans, they just want to make money and boost their own ego, I'm done with them, I was given them a chance to redeem with this and they have completely messed up, as expected, and all they had to do to give the fans what they want is just do simple, effective work that the fans are after.

They could have announced the tracks week by week on their IG and Twitter by playing a 3 second teaser and the reveal should have been a black background with the textbook and classic Thriller writing we all know naming each track one by one, simple and effective, the album/vinyl should also just be something like, completely black with Thriller across the front and the classic reverse with the new titles writing in the old font (there is a concept of this somewhere and it looks incredible - Found it

A BAD25 style package with Album, Victory Tour, Thriller vids in 4k and vintage poster or something - A complete wasted opportunity

Apologise for ranting and understand people have different opinions but I'm just annoyed.

Sunset Driver and CGOTR LOL

Meanwhile Nite Line and Hot Street rot in the vault. Genuine Thriller outtakes.

Jokers

Last edited:
His vocals are superb on Be Not Always. But the song itself is boring and depressing.
I also found "Be not always" boring and repetitive. Until I heard this remix, which opened up the beauty of the vocals for me:

The mix could be better and for me a bit too much rerverb - but in this version I can enjoy the song.

I think that the actual release we are getting although not perfect is good. Hopefully Sony! Not estate as some of you are forgetting do something with the new unheard songs. However I would even release some of the songs from Thriller that just did not even make it to singles.

See Dangerous 1991 this is what makes me feel as if your not a huge fan, Mike did not exactly get it right , you want everything for you or just the fans. Commercial relevance does not work like that, yes I agree it could of been better and yes there is not huge amounts of brand new songs on this but then it also depends if you listened or downloaded the leaks. Even if you did your getting in the best quality going.

For me I carnt wait for Friday. I hope this is a success and possibly hits top 10 or better. At least that way it will tell the estste/Sony that there is still demand. This for me is like a new album.
Maybe the reason they have not included some other songs is that there is a 50th anniversary that if they put everything on this one then you would say oh already have thus on 40! So no win situation anyway.
I tbh see them testing the water with 40 anniversary I don't see it as a milestone at all but I am glad to get nearly a new albums worth of NEW release for ME!

Why don't some of you fans(i say this loosely!) make a thread where you can take the P** out of the estate if you like but not include it in the news and discussion thread. As I don't see a discussion viable where its not actually either discussing this release either in a constructive positive or negative way with some proper feedback and not petty remarks. I can do that in lots of forums I come here and have been way before TII days or Michael's untimely death to celebrate and participate in Michael discussion.

See Dangerous 1991 this is what makes me feel as if your not a huge fan, Mike did not exactly get it right , you want everything for you or just the fans. Commercial relevance does not work like that, yes I agree it could of been better and yes there is not huge amounts of brand new songs on this but then it also depends if you listened or downloaded the leaks. Even if you did your getting in the best quality going.

For me I carnt wait for Friday. I hope this is a success and possibly hits top 10 or better. At least that way it will tell the estste/Sony that there is still demand. This for me is like a new album.
Maybe the reason they have not included some other songs is that there is a 50th anniversary that if they put everything on this one then you would say oh already have thus on 40! So no win situation anyway.
I tbh see them testing the water with 40 anniversary I don't see it as a milestone at all but I am glad to get nearly a new albums worth of NEW release for ME!
Agree to a degree. I have my CD preordered and am waiting for Friday. Can’t wait.

BUT we simply can’t expect a top 10 success when they have been so, so poor with promoting it. Not a single thing has been done apart from those strange exhibits in Germany showing Beat It streamed on a dialup connection.

It’s not good enough & if you remember MJ himself was all about promo. I saw the statue float down the Thames. I got the cardboard cutouts from the shops. He was EVERYWHERE. I don’t expect it to be the same, of course - but it’s the complete opposite now. Absolutely 0 promo. No word of anything anywhere.

When we rightly complained about them reworking the logo they asked us to focus on things we didn’t know about yet, promo efforts and more. None of which is happening! It’s a joke to have so lazily put this together with no effort at all to even spread word.

Are they sabotaging themselves intentionally so that they don’t have to bother anymore? Can focus on musicals, films and more that aren’t actually MJ? It’s absolutely mind boggling

Woaaahh, what gives you the authority to question my integrity as a fan? I could say the same for you but Im not that rude, ignoring the thousands of pounds on Michael Jacksons material pre and post death, my MJ tattoos, my wife walking down the aisle to MJ, but yes you are right, Im "not a huge fan" because I dont lap up everything the estate spew up

If you are happy with Off The Wall tracks on Thriller 40 then you go ahead and enjoy

If you actually read my message correctly, I said if fans can take celebration and enjoyment on this release then congrats and I am envious.

Also this is a forum, open for discussion, if you want everyone to agree then you are in the wrong place

I do remember this of course , plus you had an artist that was alive and could promote his product. I think what we need to find out is it the estate that's lazy or Sony. Look at the rest of the releases after Michael passed. I just think that this is a testing of the water. Is there any demand? Without throwing everything at it? I wonder what this week brings? I wish someone could contact them. See what they have to say.

I do remember this of course , plus you had an artist that was alive and could promote his product. I think what we need to find out is it the estate that's lazy or Sony. Look at the rest of the releases after Michael passed. I just think that this is a testing of the water. Is there any demand? Without throwing everything at it? I wonder what this week brings? I wish someone could contact them. See what they have to say.
Yep agree. I think it is probably Sony? No idea how it works

Xscape had amazing promo but that was a full studio album.

Bad 25 which is a direct comparison had way more promo too but post LN maybe it is a way for them to show companies the MJ brand is still strong

If there had to be a remix....I'd want Bruno to do it. I could see him turn The Lady In My Life into something great. What if Bruno did verse 1 then you hear Michael sing the chorus and second verse that was cut from the song? That would be cool to hear....though they'd need to put the full length original on there as well.
I'm with you on this! My TOAT ! (Tune of all time! ) The way Bruno sings on slow ballads is perfectly matched with Michael's.!

Reactions: ssj
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back