Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the whole idea was that Bad25 sold like shit even with the promo. So they don't see why they should do it anymore.

I might be greedy but i hope the next album comes soon enough, I'm always happy to see people talking about MJ

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but does anyone else think it’s possible that Rod Temperton’s estate might be standing in MJ’s estate’s way?

It’s very suspicious to me that the Temperton material simply isn’t being addressed at all, other than “Got the Hots” (which we’ve had for almost 15 years now). “Hot Street” and “Roll the Dice” weren’t chosen for T40, and “Groove of Midnight” mysteriously couldn’t be located for use on B25. I also recall hearing that Temperton asked for a hefty fee to allow “Thriller” to be used in This Is It, so there seems to be some bad blood there to begin with.

Perhaps we’re seeing another Steve Porcaro/will.i.am/Cory Rooney/RedOne situation, where the release is being blocked by the opposite party? Even for the estate, it seems odd that they’d say, “Rod is considered to be one of the best songwriters MJ ever worked with. Let’s just not use his stuff. Who needs it?”

Edit: there’s also “Starlight,” but the argument could be made that a demo of “Thriller” is an easier sell than a completely new track.
I've always thought this. I believe that's why it's so easy for them to do so many posthumous Prince releases. He was mostly a one-man show. Michael worked with so many people that aren't going to come cheap.

they then continued to sort of share information regarding the track list without actually saying what the tracks where,
This literally was not a problem if you go to the MJ website. I hate to say that because the website is awful. But it's not their fault Twitter/Instagram have character/format caps.
Sunset Driver LOL
Is literally from 1982. Only the MJ just dance game made any of us think it was OTW. Kinda hilarious but not really worth a mental break over.

Meanwhile Nite Line and Hot Street rot in the vault.
No, they're being saved for future albums and more ears. Quality over quantity.

BUT we simply can’t expect a top 10 success when they have been so, so poor with promoting it. Not a single thing has been done apart from those strange exhibits in Germany showing Beat It streamed on a dialup connection.
Since when are catalog album reissues chart toppers? Aside from the pop catalog chart, which this release can and easily will make. Won't put a dent in the Billboard 200 though. That's for the actual Thriller at #20 to do.

30+ years as a fan of Michael Jackson and I have everything Michael has released to date, pre and post death, but this takes the final straw, for those of you that can take something from Thriller 40 congratulations and I wish I felt the same, but I think the manor in which the estate have run not only this campaign but multiple since 2009 has been nothing short of embarrassing bar a few exceptions.

They are a multi billion dollar business and how they have handled this entire Thriller 40 campaign from announcement to today is shambolic, the original font on the Thriller album concept was embarrassing, they had to be pressured by fans, they then continued to sort of share information regarding the track list without actually saying what the tracks where, they used squashed up repetitive font on a white background, they have completely failed to advertised and promote the album and the most inexcusable of the lot is the fact they have left of legitimate Thriller outtakes and replaced them with already released Off The Wall era tracks, a complete embarrassment.

The estate do not care about the fans, they just want to make money and boost their own ego, I'm done with them, I was given them a chance to redeem with this and they have completely messed up, as expected, and all they had to do to give the fans what they want is just do simple, effective work that the fans are after.

They could have announced the tracks week by week on their IG and Twitter by playing a 3 second teaser and the reveal should have been a black background with the textbook and classic Thriller writing we all know naming each track one by one, simple and effective, the album/vinyl should also just be something like, completely black with Thriller across the front and the classic reverse with the new titles writing in the old font (there is a concept of this somewhere and it looks incredible - Found it

A BAD25 style package with Album, Victory Tour, Thriller vids in 4k and vintage poster or something - A complete wasted opportunity

Apologise for ranting and understand people have different opinions but I'm just annoyed.

Sunset Driver and CGOTR LOL

Meanwhile Nite Line and Hot Street rot in the vault. Genuine Thriller outtakes.

Jokers
Also if this is your breaking point but fake songs and pitbull guest features, then tbh, where have you even been? I can't imagine that your responses were any different than now, yet here you still are. 10 years ago, pitbull on an MJ classic track. 10 years later, a couple songs that we've heard before on an album that wasn't promising only unheard material. Time heals all wounds don't it.

Thanks for this great community spot. I still enjoy all your writings, the common sense, knowledge, respect, dedication, ideas, frustrations and (artistic) creativity. And most fans are quite courteous. Above all, there is one shared energy: the love for Michael Jackson's music and for what he really stood for, despite everything that crossed his path... Thriller 40 might not "fully" live up to the expectations, but hey, on 30 november 1982 an Afro American kid gave us a universal and timeless R&B gift. Not Bad! 🤎

Last edited:
What are the possibilities that Hot Street is being kept behind to be released as a single with The Weeknd?

Make it more modern but keep the 80s vibe in a "blinding lights" type of way? It is arguably the best Thriller unreleased track.
I'd say it's anyone's guess, really. The estate has contemporized unreleased tracks, in the past. I wouldn't doubt if it appears down the line on a project. In my opinion, it's one of the strongest unreleased tracks to have been completed.

This literally was not a problem if you go to the MJ website. I hate to say that because the website is awful. But it's not their fault Twitter/Instagram have character/format caps.

Is literally from 1982. Only the MJ just dance game made any of us think it was OTW. Kinda hilarious but not really worth a mental break over.

No, they're being saved for future albums and more ears. Quality over quantity.
1/ Website is atrocious and everyone knows to get attention of the masses, social media is the avenue
2/ Fair point re. 1982 (technically it was recorded between 79-82 so has validity for OTW), tbh I'm more confused at the inclusion of CGOTR, I can be OK with SD if we had maximised all other Thriller material
3/ Haha - Yes, save two original Thriller outtakes for an album thats not related to Thriller - Think they call that a swing and a miss

Last edited:
Also if this is your breaking point but fake songs and pitbull guest features, then tbh, where have you even been? I can't imagine that your responses were any different than now, yet here you still are. 10 years ago, pitbull on an MJ classic track. 10 years later, a couple songs that we've heard before on an album that wasn't promising only unheard material. Time heals all wounds don't it.

At what point did I say I was OK with the three "Michael" songs and the pitbull remix? Both of them are atrocious.

You are literally putting words in my mouth, I also never said "promising only unheard material" but if you can hand on heart, tell me that the inclusion of CGOTR was a better option than Nite Line, Hot Street, TGIM Demo or any other Thriller demo then OK

If you are fine with non existent promotion and material for the worlds best selling album then kudos to you, just be happy about it and stop being over concerned about my opinion because its different to yours

Nah man I'm sorry but even the posts on the website read like they were written by a 5 year old with barely any info about the songs. Twitter having less characters has nothing to do with them not mentioning what song was being announced in the post, either.

Nah man I'm sorry but even the posts on the website read like they were written by a 5 year old with barely any info about the songs. Twitter having less characters has nothing to do with them not mentioning what song was being announced in the post, either.
It was literally embarrassing, as you said, it was like most of them were cropped articles written by someone years ago, one or two of them didn't even mention the song title and I cannot remember which but the history of the tracks has misinformation.

When the fan base is constantly correcting the estate, not for preference, but for factual information they have got wrong, then there are fundamental issues.

It was literally embarrassing, as you said, it was like most of them were cropped articles written by someone years ago, one or two of them didn't even mention the song title and I cannot remember which but the history of the tracks has misinformation.

When the fan base is constantly correcting the estate, not for preference, but for factual information they have got wrong, then there are fundamental issues.

I lost all respect for them from the moment they used E-Casanova's pic thinking it was MJ right after MJ died.

photo_004.jpg

Not to mention how they butchered MJ's posthumous legacy with fake songs on "Michael". Fake picture, fake songs, that tells a lot about who's been in charge of managing MJ's legacy.

I lost all respect for them from the moment they used E-Casanova's pic thinking it was MJ right after MJ died.

photo_004.jpg
.... ummm.... WHAT?!?

I had no idea this happened. I am a newer fan. They did that right after he died?!? I am floored. Holy... wow. Ok. I need a minute to process this.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but does anyone else think it’s possible that Rod Temperton’s estate might be standing in MJ’s estate’s way?

It’s very suspicious to me that the Temperton material simply isn’t being addressed at all, other than “Got the Hots” (which we’ve had for almost 15 years now). “Hot Street” and “Roll the Dice” weren’t chosen for T40, and “Groove of Midnight” mysteriously couldn’t be located for use on B25. I also recall hearing that Temperton asked for a hefty fee to allow “Thriller” to be used in This Is It, so there seems to be some bad blood there to begin with.

Perhaps we’re seeing another Steve Porcaro/will.i.am/Cory Rooney/RedOne situation, where the release is being blocked by the opposite party? Even for the estate, it seems odd that they’d say, “Rod is considered to be one of the best songwriters MJ ever worked with. Let’s just not use his stuff. Who needs it?”

Edit: there’s also “Starlight,” but the argument could be made that a demo of “Thriller” is an easier sell than a completely new track.

At the time I was dissapointed with how little attention Rod Temperton got in The Bad 25 documentary, especially in comparison to the basketball player. I was afraid Spike Lee wanted to make MJ's legacy more 'black' or whatever, but maybe there actually was a copyright thing going on with Temperton's heirs

.... ummm.... WHAT?!?

I had no idea this happened. I am a newer fan. They did that right after he died?!? I am floored. Holy... wow. Ok. I need a minute to process this.
Yep, and when they realized the fans were outraged they removed it.

@ niteline, cool idea !!

Let me shell out my grades & comments for each track

Starlight - 2/5 (Demo to an actual Album song, imo doesn't fit with the rest, should be on digital expanded edition, along with TGIM solo)

Got The Hots - 3/5 (previously released and so NOT rare - as it is 2 klicks away on the iTunes Ultimate Fan Extras Collection, but a true Thriller outtake)

Who Do You Know - 5/5 (perfect!!!)

Carousel - 3/5 (previously released and so NOT rare - as it 2 klicks away on the iTunes Ultimate Fan Extras Collection, but a true Thriller outtake)

Behind The Mask (Mike's Mix) - 4/5 (Demo/alternate version of an already released song, could go up to 5/5 if this will be my main version to listen to in the future)

Can't Get Out Of The Rain - 0/5 (prev. released, NOT rare/ is on iTunes, plus to me clearly The Wiz/OTW era)

The Toy - 4/5 (Demo/alternate version of an already released song, could go up to 5/5 if this will be my main version to listen to in the future)

Sunset Driver - 0/5 (prev. released, NOT rare/ is on iTunes, to me clearly OTW era)

What A Lovely Way To Go - 5/5 (perfect!!!)

She's Trouble - 5/5 (perfect!!!, ZERO blame for releasing leaked material)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back