Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... ummm.... WHAT?!?

I had no idea this happened. I am a newer fan. They did that right after he died?!? I am floored. Holy... wow. Ok. I need a minute to process this.
Yep, after seeing it, I have had hard time believing MJ's wanted that Estate to manage his posthumous legacy in his will.

"Buffalo Bill" and "Al Capone" are two separate tracks. "Buffalo Bill" was done earlier, during the Victory era (83-84), while "Al Capone" was done during the early Bad sessions (85).

As far as numbers of tracks go, it varies. If I recall correctly, in the Mexico deposition, he claims to have written "fifty to sixty" songs for each album. That's not to say all were recorded, though.

He worked on many ideas during the creation of his records - some were finished and released, while the rest exist in varying stages of completion. A handful are complete, others may only have scratch vocals or a chorus.

John Barnes commented "sixty to sixty-five" songs were demoed for Bad. Brad Sundberg quoted "fifty" ideas for Dangerous. But, the numbers vary, according to the person giving the statement.
Thank you!
I thought there was a slight possibility since the lyrics 'Who shot Buffalo Bill? They said shot a lot, did I ever get killed?' kinda/sorta matched the
'Why did you let him get away? After the staring, what did you say?' in my head and Al Capone also has a bit of a Thriller-era melody if you think away all of the mid-80s instrumentation. In my head that is, lol

I will partake.

Starlight 4/5 - Pretty cool we'll be getting this in (hopefully better quality) as the leak sounds pretty wonky and like it's ripped from an unstable source

Got The Hots 1/5 - Already been released and really no reason for it being sold back to us, any Thriller album track demo would have been a better inclusion

Who Do You Know 5/5 - Excited to hear this one

Carousel 3/5 - Gave this one more points because as far as I know it has not been released in full, still, a song that has already been sold, and any leaked album track demo would have been a better inclusion

Behind The Mask (Mike's Mix) 4/5 - Excited to hear this one, always wanted to hear the original version of this track

Can't Get Out Of The Rain 1/5 - Already been released, no reason for it to be here, leaked album demo would have been better inclusion

The Toy 5/5 - Another one I've been dying to hear, can't wait

Sunset Driver 1/5 - Already been released, no reason for it to be here, leaked album demo would have been better inclusion

What A Lovely Way To Go 5/5 - Excited to hear another unheard track on here

She's Trouble 4/5 - No problem with this inclusion, I am hoping it is the more complete demo as we already have the earlier demo in lossless quality.

I think the whole idea was that Bad25 sold like shit even with the promo. So they don't see why they should do it anymore.
Did it have good promotion? I wasn’t around a fan forum for T25 but I knew it was coming out, I still wasn’t around for B25 and I had no idea this was happening.

Might as well hop in.
  1. “Starlight” - 3/5. Even though this is one of those no-brainer inclusions, I have no interest in listening to it beyond a one-time quality comparison with the leaked version. Rod really wasn’t pulling his weight with the lyrics on this one; thank god MJ intervened.
  2. “Got the Hots” - 1/5. Easily the worst song we’ve yet heard from MJ in all respects.
  3. “Who Do You Know” - 5/5. Getting an unheard song is exciting enough, but learning that MJ liked it enough to consider it for Thriller AND Victory is the cherry on top.
  4. “Carousel” - 3.5/5. So long as it’s the full version, I’m okay with this. I really enjoy this one and think it would’ve been a nice B-side back in 1982-83.
  5. “Behind the Mask (Mike’s Mix)” - 3/5. My interest is definitely piqued, but if it’s similar to the Phillinganes version, I probably won’t listen to it more than once. The 2010 mix is still an absolute home run in my opinion.
  6. “Can’t Get Outta the Rain” - 1/5. Why isn’t this on the digital-only disc 3?
  7. “The Toy” - 5/5. Very interested to see how this one holds up in comparison to “Best of Joy,” which is far and away one of my favorite posthumously released songs.
  8. “Sunset Driver” - 4/5. I understand the disappointment, but I LOVE this one and welcome the opportunity for it to reach a wider audience.
  9. “What a Lovely Way to Go” - 5/5. Surprised they’re including a song that’s complete enough to be used on a proper album. Cannot wait to hear it.
  10. “She’s Trouble” - 4/5 - Easily my favorite Thriller outtake. I’m docking .5 points out of fear that they’ll use the scratch vocal version.
Overall, I’m more than content and think T40 offers more than enough to warrant buying. But even though I understand why all 10 songs were chosen, I can already predict that some will be permanent skips. I also can’t wrap my mind around why CGOTR and GTH weren’t put on the digital disc 3.

Even so, I stand by the argument that, faults and all, this is objectively the best Thriller reissue, and the second-best reissue overall.

I may as well chime in

1. Starlight. 3/5 makes sense given it's the demo to the title track and technically unreleased.
2. Got The Hots. 1/5 weak song and previously released a few times but it might have been considered for Thriller
3. Who Do You Know. 5/5 I can't wait to hear a truly unheard MJ song. Its been too long, I've been intrigued since hearing the title in the 93 deposition.
4. Carousel. 2/5 not really rare but it almost made the record so I guess it fits. Never gelled with this one.
5. Behind The Mask. 5/5 can't wait to hear Mike's version. I'm hoping the backgrounds are similar to Greg's version but I do love the 2010 mix too
6. Can't Get Out Of The Rain. 0/5 I'm almost offended by its inclusion honestly 😅 Hot Street or Nite Line would have been better
7. The Toy. 5/5 another unheard song!! Can't wait to hear the original idea for Best Of Joy, I love BOJ
8. Sunset Driver. 1/5 I like the song but I don't think it fits here. Really hoping it's a later version because if it's the TUC version, I'd say it's the most of out of date song Mike ever recorded. The instrumentation sounds like it belongs on Destiny of 1978 not Thriller 1982.
9. What A Lonely Way To Go. 5/5 I can't wait to hear another new Michael Jackson song!! It's been so long. I've been excited about this ever since the deposition when he sung to himself
10. She's Trouble. 2/5 really not fond of this song but I don't mind it being included because it's Thriller era and it was leaked after all. Hoping it's not the scratch vocal

I'm so excited to hear a few genuinely new unreleased Michael Jackson songs a week today. It feels surreal given how long we've waited. It's amazing because we know nothing about 2 of them as well

I hope they add Nightline and Hot Street though. Maybe as hidden tracks? Come on, why releasing Trouble and not Nightline and Hot Street?

@filmandmusic it was a physical release. IJCSLY on side A, DBMA on side B. I think the initial plan was to release the singles the way they were for the OG Bad album. But sadly it sold poorly. I got the single, though and the collector's boxset with the DVD and Poster.

It's no joke. As much as I appreciate E-Casanova as a looklike, I was disgusted to see that the Estate had no clue about MJ's world.
FYI, the Estate has taken note of your criticism. All pics of E-Cas will be replaced with more authentic ones.

Fgt-xKAVsAEgRmF

Here's my take on Disc 2:

Starlight (3/5): Never been a favorite of mine, but it's inclusion was to be expected.

Got The Hots (3/5): Really enjoy the music, not so much the lyrics. Definitely "b-material".

Who Do You Know (5/5): If Michael truly considered this for two projects, there may very well be some charm to it.

Carousel (5/5): Easily one of my favorite outtakes, across his entire discography. Deserves inclusion.

Behind The Mask (5/5): Finally ! - the original vision for this track. Psyched !

Can't Get Outta The Rain (0/5): No further comment.

The Toy (5/5): Will be interesting to hear the earliest known version of BOJ.

Sunset Driver (4/5): (Setting aside the era confusion) Always thought this was a solid, funky track, in its own right. That bass !

What A Lovely Way To Go (5/5): Finally get to hear what MJ was humming in the deposition. Supposedly a full vocal, too ? Wow !

She's Trouble (3/5): I understand why this was left on the cutting room floor, but I can respect this one, for what it is. Deserves a listen, here and there.

can’t wait to hear the following
STARLIGHT In high quality
WHO DO YOU KNOW can’t wait for this
CAROUSEL please the full uncut thing 4mins not 3:40
BEHIND THE MASK yes please
THE TOY I love best of joy, hopefully it’s as good as or better
WHAT A LOVELY WAY TO GO hoping for gold
SHES TROUBLE in high quality a win for me if it’s the latter version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back