Hot topic What unreleased demos and remixes do you think will be on Thriller 40 Disc 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mind if I join in? šŸ™ƒ

Starlight (3/5): No surprise it's here, this song is the definition of re-issue material. Will be interesting to hear it in HQ.

Got The Hots (2.5/5): The song already came out on Thriller 25 but only on editions from Japan, I would've preferred another song but at least it's nice to see it be available worldwide.

Who Do You Know (5/5): While I and a lot of people expected for Chicago 1945 to be announced this is a really nice surprise, a song that no one has any detail about? Bring it on!!!

Carousel (0/5): The song has been available for 20 years now and has been released in 3 albums, it's as disappointing of an inclusion as Sunset Driver and CGOOTR.

Behind The Mask (3/5): I'm not that interested in hearing the demo because there are already fan-recreations on YT, at least it's a song that we technically haven't heard before and not another re-issue.

Can't Get Outta The Rain (0/5): A song from Off The Wall? Seriously??? At this point I won't be surprised if Bad 40 gets material from Thriller era.

The Toy (5/5): One of the songs that I'm really excited to hear, just a while ago I was thinking about the rarity of this song and now we're gonna hear it in 1 week. Unbelievable.

Sunset Driver (0/5): I don't buy that this song is completely from the Thriller era and even if it was they shouldn't have put a song that's already been released, I would've preferred if they chose to go for Slapstick or Nite Line instead.

What A Lovely Way To Go (4.5/5): While it is a new song and I'm pretty excited to hear I wonder if the song isn't that much of a good song to begin with, seeing how they skipped on releasing the song on the Michael album and went on to put it on a re-issue album instead.

She's Trouble (3/5): Pretty average song Imo, not much to say about it. Thankfully it's not a re-release and hopefully it's the completed version in HQ.

All in all, I'm really excited for this album.

I'll listen to the new songs in following order

1 Who Do You Know
2 Behind The Mask
(this was going to be my #1up untill WDYK was unveiled yesterday)
3 & 4 The Toy / What A Lovely Way To Go (not sure which one's gonna be #3 - I'll decide this after I've listened to # 2 and 3)
5 She's Trouble
6 Starlight

I'll rate these later

"[...] was still working on it in February 1982 [...]"

Isn't the copyright register also dated Feb 1982?
I personally have a feeling they're just going to use tapes sourced from the US copyright office instead of being bothered to hunt down the original masters, maybe slap an EQ or something onto the audios.

i think it was showed beat it at that framerate to deter anyone from leaking the footage early as its going to be thrown out around the world for the next eek.
I think the reason why this is happening is that the venue is a museum, and those tend to have these sorts of technical faults. I don't even think the museum computer or whatever can handle running that file on it lol.

Hope you won't mind me joining the party šŸ˜…

Starlight (3/5): It does make sense for it to be here and it really suits the disc. Also I won't mind the quality upgrade.

Got the Hots (1/5): Weakest Thriller outtake and previously released. I don't care if it's limited, it's fairly easy to find a second hand copy of some random KOP edition with it. Would much prefer Hot Street over it.

Who Do You Know (5/5): Just for being an all-new track it's already worth it for me, and having MJ considered it for two albums shows he must have seen some potential in it. Hoping for the best.

Carousel (4/5): One of my favorite MJ outtakes ever. Although it's been released and leaked, again I won't mind the quality upgrade if they're putting the uncut version here.

Behind the Mask (5/5): I've been dying to hear it since 2010 and now I'll finally get to. I see some people being concerned it might be similar to either YMO's or Greg's versions, but I don't care. This song showcases the quintessencial 80s sound (the good one) and I love it so bad.

Can't Get Outta the Rain (0/5): Tell me more about how a rework with impromptu ad-libs only can be considered a freaking song after all.

The Toy (3/5): Don't know what to expect, but Best of Joy is a good song and if it evolved from that, it must be good also.

Sunset Driver (3/5): Great song, but come on. It better be a different master to the '04 one to make it worth it being here.

What a Lovely Way to Go (5/5): Another all-new track. Back when we're midway through the weekly reviews, I spent some time watching the 1993 Mexico deposition just to check what songs MJ would namedrop that could be here and it really caught me how he mumbled this one a bit to remember it. Again, hoping for the best.

She's Trouble (4/5): After being used to the unfinished version for so long, I was just listening to the lower quality finished one and it's a bomb. I'm really hoping that's the one they picked. It's really infectious.

It's a decent reissue overall and, for the sake of my sanity, I'll just pretend GTH, SD and CGOTR aren't here.

If I am grading each of the track reveals out of 5:

Starlight - 4.25/5
Got The Hots - 2/5
Who Do You Know - 5/5
Carousel - 4/5
Behind The Mask (Mike's Mix) - 4.75/5
Can't Get Out Of The Rain - 0/5
The Toy - 4.75/5
Sunset Driver - 3.75/5
What A Lovely Way To Go - 5/5
She's Trouble - 4.75/5.

Despite being unhappy with the inclusion of CGOTTR and Got The Hots, I am overall quite happy with the track list. Sure, I would have liked to have seen songs like Nite Line, Hot Street, Rolling The Dice but maybe, we get them on Thriller 50.
Starlight - 4.25/5. I am excited to hear this one in good quality. The only complaint I have is that it should have been on deluxe edition bonus tracks disc.
Got The Hots - 2/5. Very boring song that has already been released.
Who Do You Know - 5/5. Never before heard song and the fact that it was considered for both Thriller and Victory tells me that this one might be a gem.
Carousel - 4/5. I really like this song and I have only ever heard the version on Thriller 25, which is less than two minutes long. I hope this one is a more complete version.
Behind The Mask - 4.75/5. BTM is one of my favourite posthumous tracks so I am excited to hear the original version of the song.
Canā€™t Get Out Of The Rain - 0/5. Might just be the worst song Michael ever recorded.
The Toy - 5/5. My all time favourite posthumous track. I have been dying to hear The Toy since 2010.
Sunset Driver - 3.75/5. Love the song and I am glad it is getting released on Thriller 40, as the ultimate collection isnā€™t accessible to me anymore. However, Iā€™m not convinced that this isnā€™t an Off The Wall era track.
What A Lovely Way To Go - 5/5. Never heard before song.
Sheā€™s Trouble - 4.75/5. I have only heard the low quality demo which I like, so I am excited to hopefully hear a better quality version of Trouble.

Although everyone's opinion here differs I like how we all collectively agree in one thing, CGOOTR should NOT have been on the album lmao.
Had they put Hot Street instead, I could let SD slide. No joke.

It looks like I will be the only one on the dance floor when the DJ plays got the hots. That's cool then y'all get to see my awesome moves.

Hoping Who Do You Know is a dance floor tune. Really don't know what to expect. We know The Toy and Lovely Way are ballads.

I am curious, is there someone who is happy that CGTOR is part of this release?

Maybe some here enjoy the song, but do not participate in the discussion. Let us know! :D

After we hear What A Lovely Way To Go I'm curious to hear the 2010 remix, I wonder if it differs that much from the original version. Hopefully that one leaks in the future.

Interesting that MJ pushed ā€œWho Do You Knowā€ for two consecutive albums (possibly three, if it was considered for Triumph) then abandoned it. Absolutely crazy that some songs made it so far before getting canned. Iā€™ll never forgive the man for leaving ā€œIā€™m So Blueā€ in the vault for 25 years.

Maybe some here enjoy the song, but do not participate in the discussion. Let us know! :D

Well, it is not about if I enjoy that song. At least it shouldn't be.
I personally enjoy almost any MJ song, though admittedly there are a handful of weaker songs. MJ could sing the alphabet & I would enjoy listening to him.

That's also not the way I rated the 10 tracks when I did, after @Niteline came up with that great idea.
IMO you can't rate "Who Do You Know" 5/5 & "CGOTR" 0/5, simply because you never heard "WDYK".

My rating was solely based on:
Does it fit the project? Does it fit the CD2 track list? Does it fit the Thriller era? Is it truly unreleased? Is it a rare track? Do "they" make me pay for a song again, which I already bought?

"CGOTR" is not the strongest MJ song, but that's not the point, I enjoy listening to it.
BUT:
- I bought it already from an official release
- I also have the more interesting and complete "You Can't Win", 7 minute version, which I also bought via official release
- It is readily available, only 2 klicks away on iTunes (Ultimate Fan Extras Collection, Price 1.29 Euro)
- It is NOT Thriller era, this song part was first heard as the adlibs to "You Can't Win" in 1978 (Wizard Of Oz Movie Soundtrack)

That all said:
Like some of you mentioned, I also don't get the flaming/hate that "Got The Hots" is receiving. It's in line with the other Thriller outtakes (Hot Street, She's Trouble, Niteline). Maybe HS & ST are the stronger ones and NL & GTH are a bit weaker, but they are not far off, like some are making out to be. @filmandmusic I would dance with you ;)

Last edited:

Me. :D

I've only listened to it once. Couple of weeks ago. Loved it. Made me wanna dance all day. I think it's a good song.

I think ā€œCanā€™t Get Outta the Rainā€ is so obviously an overdubbed afterthought that it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I can listen to the second half of ā€œYou Canā€™t Winā€ and have a blast, because itā€™s a solid disco-funk workout. But you can clearly hear the background vocalists saying ā€œcanā€™t get outta the gameā€ beneath MJ, which gives the impression that they didnā€™t even pull out the multitrack when they recorded it.

Itā€™s just lazy imo, and the only space on the second disc that I feel truly shouldā€™ve been filled by something else.

Me! I have only heard it maybe 2-3 times. It came up once randomly on YouTube and I instantly loved it. Listened to it back-to-back and was very excited. However, I avoid most unreleased material since I want to fully exhaust the entire discography before diving deep (I do know a lot of unreleased songs, but I've heard almost none of the T40 tracks so far).

It can be a little tough to share because there are STRONG opinions here lol. But that's ok. I am glad you asked this question!

Also, similarly, I heard Got the Hots randomly on YouTube in the same way and also instantly loved it. Maybe listened to it twice? Thought it was fantastic šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Reactions: MJ5
Like some of you mentioned, I also don't get the flaming/hate that "Got The Hots" is receiving. It's in line with the other Thriller outtakes (Hot Street, She's Trouble, Niteline). Maybe HS & ST are the stronger ones and NL & GTH are a bit weaker, but they are not far off, like some are making out to be.
Got the Hots is meh at best imo. It's abysmal.
Siedah's more polished version does the song justice.

Interesting that MJ pushed ā€œWho Do You Knowā€ for two consecutive albums (possibly three, if it was considered for Triumph) then abandoned it. Absolutely crazy that some songs made it so far before getting canned. Iā€™ll never forgive the man for leaving ā€œIā€™m So Blueā€ in the vault for 25 years.
Any of those unreleased tracks from BAD25 would've been better than Just Good Friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back