What's the latest on Thriller 3D?

Regardless whether they release it on 3D Blu-ray or not (or in theaters at all) it at least needs to be released on regular 2D Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray since they did the 3D conversion from the 4K negative so they for sure have that ready to go.

Nite Line;4226999 said:
Who cares about 3D anymore? If Thriller 3D is the only thing that gets released in 2018, I’ll be extremely disappointed. But I suspect it won’t happen thankfully, as there is hardly any demand for it.
I'm sure most people don't want it because of 3D. They want it because it is in HD.

The BBFC have now passed both 'Michael Jackson's Thriller [IMAX 3D]' and 'Michael Jackson's Thriller [IMAX 2D]' for cinema exhibition in the UK with a 12A certificate!

Given the other re-certification I posted about a few days ago, it certainly looks like an IMAX release followed by a home release.

I am genuinely surprised.

The BBFC have now passed both 'Michael Jackson's Thriller [IMAX 3D]' and 'Michael Jackson's Thriller [IMAX 2D]' for cinema exhibition in the UK with a 12A certificate!

Given the other re-certification I posted about a few days ago, it certainly looks like an IMAX release followed by a home release.

Wow!!! IMAX!!! This is going to be better than I thought!

really? source?

IMAX?? - WOW, that sure is great news - and both 3D and 2D - even better.

I wanna see both versions in IMAX - and can't wait for it to be released.

Can't believe Thriller had a certificate 15

But - for those who was worriede this proofs that both a 2D and 3D version is avalable - so both versions will be released one day.

Hope I get to see it this year.

That's good news ! Hopefully we will have the home release for Halloween !

I don't think it will be real IMAX. They have just cropped or changed the picture somehow.

What do you mean real IMAX? I mean, we all know Thriller was not filmed with IMAX cameras. But neither are the majority of feature films that are exhibited in IMAX theatres.

What do you mean real IMAX? I mean, we all know Thriller was not filmed with IMAX cameras. But neither are the majority of feature films that are exhibited in IMAX theatres.

Is there a reason to show them in IMAX then? How does Thriller benefit from it?

Is there a reason to show them in IMAX then? How does Thriller benefit from it?

IMAX screens are larger, often with superior visual and sound reproduction but that would depend on the set up at your local theatre. The biggest IMAX screens in the world are truly something to behold in sheer height and width with really incredible sound.

But what people tend to pay tickets for at IMAX theatres are those converted to fit the IMAX standard. I don't tend to pay the extra money for those.

What about the us?

Also, to add to this, IMAX is 70mm which basically means you get can get more picture in a frame (just an image). Thriller was 35mm which means you could get less in a frame.

However, when you scale 35mm films up onto an IMAX screen, which is how most films are (at least near that resolution digitally), as not many films are actually shot in 70mm (to my knowledge, Christopher Nolan shoots mostly in this, but not for every frame in the movie). As ChrisC pointed out, it's still amazing to watch even if it's not shot in 70mm.

I will say that my explanation was fairly "old school." A lot of movies aren't actually shot in film nowadays, proper celluloid film, so you mainly just get films shot on high-resolution digital cameras and that is then scaled up to a massive screen (you have to watch out for pixelation though) or the aspect ratio is cut.

Last edited:
What about the us?

I'm sure this won't just be for the UK. But unless you find any clues anywhere then you'd have to wait for the Estate to announce it. I reckon they'll say something over the next few weeks.

Yes I agree this is good news. Expect an announcement soon. My guess is it'll be announced before mid-September to allow for a bit of promotion time.

EDIT: I just found out my local Odeon is still open and has IMAX. I thought it closed earlier this year. If it's still here in October then I'll have somewhere local to see Thriller, otherwise it's a long drive to the next one and I probably wouldn't bother.

Last edited:
EDIT: I just found out my local Odeon is still open and has IMAX. I thought it closed earlier this year. If it's still here in October then I'll have somewhere local to see Thriller, otherwise it's a long drive to the next one and I probably wouldn't bother.

My local Odeon IMAX is really pitiful. I don't know if they're all built to the same specifications at Odeon but you want to get to a real impressive IMAX screen. My local Cineworld IMAX is dramatically better.

I contacted Alicia about the new development but her reply was extremely vague, failing even to acknowledge the existence of the project. Silly really given the cat is already out the bag...

Back