What's the max you think Invincible could have sold overall

At this point, who cares anymore. The only thing worse than Invincible is this FREAKING DEBATE EVERY DAY.

Just leave it here and just stop ever talking about it again. Agree to disagree and all that.

It's far from disrespect. I don't see the point in deluding ourselves. No reasonable person would think Invincible was Michael's peak on any level. Justifications to the contrary are frankly bizarre. It would be like saying "I actually think Matthew Perry's peak was after Friends when he went on a 10 year drug binge". It would make just as much sense, no disrespect meant to Matthew Perry of course.

The album is average at best. You can be a huge fan of an artist and admit they released a dud album.

Last edited:
It is average for Michael Jackson. I still like it.

I didn't say it's disrespectful not to like it, but I don't want anyone speaking for me. Love or hate, I am not your equal.

Plenty of artists release average albums, their whole career is built off "average" albums as far as I'm concerned. Some artists are one hit wonders. But as far as I'm concerned, MJ did no wrong musically, and I will always feel that way. Invincible for me is still way more listenable than Janet's "average" or JT's "average" or even Beyonce's "best". So sue me, I commit to a unique standard.
It would be like saying "I actually think Matthew Perry's peak was after Friends when he went on a 10 year drug binge". It would make just as much sense, no disrespect meant to Matthew Perry of course.
Everything about this registers as disrespectful to me. Horrible example. Keep his name out of your mouth.

It is average for Michael Jackson. I still like it.

I didn't say it's disrespectful not to like it, but I don't want anyone speaking for me. Love or hate, I am not your equal.

Plenty of artists release average albums, their whole career is built off "average" albums as far as I'm concerned. Some artists are one hit wonders. But as far as I'm concerned, MJ did no wrong musically, and I will always feel that way. Invincible for me is still way more listenable than Janet's "average" or JT's "average" or even Beyonce's "best". So sue me, I commit to a unique standard.

Everything about this registers as disrespectful to me. Horrible example. Keep his name out of your mouth.

Waah, everything is disrespect. It was an apt analogy so deal with it.

And it might be better than the average of some popular artists but at the same time a new thread every day as to why it was great and we should respect it is a bit ridiculous, is it not? And I am not sure if it is better than the average of the artists you cite. Maybe if it were cut down a lot of the fat you might be able to say that.

The problem here is also the Sony blaming and the wondering why it didn't sell more. It was an average album and sold around about what it should have sold. Usher's 8701 sold less worldwide and that album is a better album with way more hits. You can like the album but to pretend its anywhere near his best stuff is ridiculous and laughable. I'd say Invincible is half as good as HIStory and sold about half the sales. Sounds about right to me.

And I'll qualify that statement with this -

Scream - better than anything on Invincible
You are not alone - better than anything on Invincible
They dont care about us - better than anything on invincible
Stranger in Moscow - better than anything on Invincible

It's not to you get to deep cuts like Tabloid Junkie and Money that you draw comparisons with something like You Rock My World or Whatever Happens

Last edited:
And it might be better than the average of some popular artists but at the same time a new thread every day as to why it was great and we should respect it is a bit ridiculous, is it not?
Am I the one insisting on shoving down our throats? No, I'm not. This is irrelevant to me.

And I am not sure if it is better than the average of the artists you cite.
I've gotten more out of Invincible than Man of the Wood, and I like that album. Got more out of it than Discipline, by Janet. I've even gotten more out of it than Victory by the Jacksons, and that was MJ at his peak of his powers.

You can like the album but to pretend its anywhere near his best stuff is ridiculous and laughable.
You're like a broken record. Stop saying this already.

You named a few songs that are all S Tier and as good as the best off Thriller and Bad. And also You Are Not Alone, which has aged as well as a carcass.

But sure, it's all better than Cry and Privacy, I'll agree with that. But I'll take Unbreakable and Butterflies over D.S or Superfly Sister. For God's sake, be reasonable.

The album is average at best. You can be a huge fan of an artist and admit they released a dud album.
Invincible is not just average album, it's one of the best albums, Michael have ever created. It's definitely better than Thriller or History.
Michael said himself, that it's one of his strongest project, he have ever worked on.
A lot of people delusions, because they consider popularity of album as indicator of quality. That's a delusion

HAHAHAHAHA šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ omg. Really???
SIM is the strongest song from History album along with Earth Song, but both songs are weaker than Whatever Happens. WH is better than any song from History, Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad. It's one of the best songs, Michael have ever created

Am I the one insisting on shoving down our throats? No, I'm not. This is irrelevant to me.

I've gotten more out of Invincible than Man of the Wood, and I like that album. Got more out of it than Discipline, by Janet. I've even gotten more out of it than Victory by the Jacksons, and that was MJ at his peak of his powers.

You're like a broken record. Stop saying this already.

You named a few songs that are all S Tier and as good as the best off Thriller and Bad. And also You Are Not Alone, which has aged as well as a carcass.

But sure, it's all better than Cry and Privacy, I'll agree with that. But I'll take Unbreakable and Butterflies over D.S or Superfly Sister. For God's sake, be reasonable.
No, Shaun. Unbreakable is one of the best Invincible songs. It's better than Thriller or Dirty Diana

^ it's a bit (but not surprising) disappointing to see you say that Whatever Happens is better than any song on Michael's classic albums.

The fact you could rank it higher than some of the best songs ever created in music history is remarkable I must say.

Looking back on your previous few posts, I see the hard trolling is back in full swing.

Waah, everything is disrespect. It was an apt analogy so deal with it.

And it might be better than the average of some popular artists but at the same time a new thread every day as to why it was great and we should respect it is a bit ridiculous, is it not? And I am not sure if it is better than the average of the artists you cite. Maybe if it were cut down a lot of the fat you might be able to say that.

The problem here is also the Sony blaming and the wondering why it didn't sell more. It was an average album and sold around about what it should have sold. Usher's 8701 sold less worldwide and that album is a better album with way more hits. You can like the album but to pretend its anywhere near his best stuff is ridiculous and laughable. I'd say Invincible is half as good as HIStory and sold about half the sales. Sounds about right to me.

And I'll qualify that statement with this -

It's not to you get to deep cuts like Tabloid Junkie and Money that you draw comparisons with something like You Rock My World or Whatever Happens
Sales did not really have to do with the quality of the included new songs in these 2 albums.

Keep in mind that the 'HIStory' album was released with an additional disc (disc one) that included some of his classic hits (which gave a boost to the sales of the entire 'HIStory' album).

Also, according to music industry insiders, the 'HIStory' album was supported by one of the most expensive promotional campaigns ever, like:

The 'HIStory' album came with a mammoth world tour around the globe (82 concerts).

They released 8 singles from the 'HIStory' album, and some of them were very expensive in their making.

Aside the HIStory Tour, Michael Jackson also actively promoted the 'HIStory' album by giving various interviews during the 'HIStory' era.

On the other hand, the 'Invincible' album did not have any of the above, hence its lower sales compared to the 'HIStory' album.

Sales did not really have to do with the quality of the included new songs in these 2 albums.

Keep in mind that the 'HIStory' album was released with an additional disc (disc one) that included some of his classic hits (which gave a boost to the sales of the entire 'HIStory' album).

Also, according to music industry insiders, the 'HIStory' album was supported by one of the most expensive promotional campaigns ever, like:

The 'HIStory' album came with a mammoth world tour around the globe (82 concerts).

They released 8 singles from the 'HIStory' album, and some of them were very expensive in their making.

Aside the HIStory Tour, Michael Jackson also actively promoted the 'HIStory' album by giving various interviews during the 'HIStory' era.

On the other hand, the 'Invincible' album did not have any of the above, hence its lower sales compared to the 'HIStory' album.
Considering History came off the back of the allegations in 93 it needed a mammoth promotional campaign and tour to limit damage control.

Plus it had some brilliant self penned songs that MJ needed to put out.

This was the follow up to Dangerous and MJ was still very much in demand.

In 2001, Michael was considered even more of a weirdo and was aged 43. Too old and and less relevant than he had ever been.

Invincible needed to be brilliant, it wasn't and that's the reason why it didn't perform as expected. It was dead by 2002.

Back