What's the Most Overrated MJ Album?

Which One?

• Total voters
Bad for me. It just has no flow and no consistency. For me it's a "singles" album but not an album as a whole with a concept and a flow to it

As far as highbrow music critics are concerned, Bad is very disjointed and sounds like a collection of unrelated songs (each one had a different writer after all), but it’s one of his more popular albums. After Dangerous, everything tapered off in popularity, but his first four albums are very well known.

Off the Wall is genre-locked in disco, although it’s easily among the best of the genre. Thriller is excellent, but very overhyped; some of the love songs are incredibly cheesy. Dangerous has the same corniness but more from him trying to do social commentary tracks (“Heal the World” is the most early 90s song ever written. That’s not a compliment.)

Shoot, this is turning into a critique of his whole career... uh, to answer your question I’d say it’s a toss up between Thriller and Bad as to which is more overrated. Probably Thriller, since it’s been mythologized over the years and is now considered almost untouchable among fans and non-fans alike.

i don't think 'thriller' is overhyped by fans at all. look at the results of this poll. if anything, they take it for granted and often refer to it as 'carefree pop fluff'. ignoring the lyrics and music of; 'startin' somethin', 'beat it', 'billie jean', 'thriller', and 'human nature'. all of which created the foundation for his later work - including the videos

Invincible is a better album that deserves more acclaim than Dangerous and History from my point of view. I find the latter overestimated while I find it artistically very average and clumsy as an album (the lyrics are rather poorly written). Off The Wall is not overestimated I think, quite the contrary. It is underestimated by the general public and has it fanbase. Bad and Thriller are also very valued but clearly they deserve it they are excellent albums.

I think Dangerous is not bad but honestly when some tell me that it's his best album, I don't agree. It's already well below what he's used to us.

I would still go on Dangerous (which I like) and History because I almost never hear negative remarks about these two albums.

Back