When was Michael Jackson considered the most successful ever?

rsggamer123

Proud Member
I got thinking about this the other day. Just when exactly was he first considered 'the most successful artist/entertainer of all time'? Was it once Thriller became the most successful album ever?

I remember that kind of talk coming into the picture after he cleaned house for Thriller at the Grammys and it really kicked up a notch when he purchased the publishing rights to The Beatles' catalog. He was breaking all kinds of records, all kinds of barriers like no one has ever seen before. I was shocked by it myself; he just BLEW UP and raised the bar so high no one has come close to reaching it to this DAY.

Unfortunately, the higher one sits on the throne, the bigger the fall is. That's when I began to see the truly tasteless tabloid trashing of him, too. :(

That's right-the clean up of the Grammys and then the unbelievably successful Victory tour-everyone wanted to see him perform after "Motown 25"-and the press coverage was crazy. He was on the cover of everything.

And you're also right-same year as the Beatle catalog purchase-first tabloid trash started.

Back