When was Someone Put Your Hand Out recorded?

Spaceship

Proud Member
I read that it was originally recorded for Bad under the name of "Someone Put Your Hand Down", then rerecorded for Dangerous and finally rewritten and rerecorded after Dangerous in 1992? Is the version on The Ultimate Collection from 1991 or 1992?

Last edited:
According to Discogs, first prerssing of SPYHO promo single was distributed in 1991, in Japan.

I don't have the book "All The Songs" right now but I think it was recorded in '89
That or Monkey Business

From the book "Man In The Music":

“Someone Put Your Hand Out” was an outtake of the late Bad era. The song was pulled out of the vault during the Dangerous sessions, as Jackson further developed it with Teddy Riley. “Teddy loved it, I loved it, and we made some changes, just changed the verse and I gave him cowriter’s credit,” said Jackson in 1993. Final tweaks were made to the recording and mix in April 1992, after Dangerous was already out. The song was released that May as an exclusive Pepsi promo to help promote the Dangerous World Tour. Only five hundred thousand copies were made, making it a rare collector’s item for years. It was subsequently released on Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection in 2004.

If I was to make an educated guess on this I'd say

The original was recorded in 1986 I believe, given it's a B Team demo most of them weren't recorded at Westlake.

The completed version I'd guess early 1991, because that's when Teddy came on to the project and Mike and him loved it, Teddy helped with the bridge of the song.
So it could have been around the same time Mike presented Teddy with Jam and Dangerous to complete

I remember I read on this forum, that it was Bruce Swedien that suggested making it a ballad to Michael, not sure how true that is but given that the completed version is slower in tempo than the demo who knows.

Apologies about the song post

Back