When was the first time Michael came into your lives

I was born in '88. I don't remember ever not knowing Michael Jackson. If I'm being really technical, my first memory of Michael is probably the Jam video. It is an incredibly foggy memory, but I remember asking my father to repeatedly explain to me the difference between Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson lol. Still, I also feel like there was never a time I didn't know him.

My parents weren't fans of Michael, but they never said a single bad thing about him. I recall watching the Beat it and Bad music videos a lot for some reason. I also have a strong memory of making my Barbies dance like Michael (inspired by a 'leather' Barbie jacket). I recall being VERY curious about Michael as a child. I used to read my parents encyclopedias for fun, and I remember reading about him wearing 1 glove and immediately marching up to my father and demanding an explanation for why a person would wear 1 glove. I thought it was an amazing concept and I think I wore 1 glove around the house for a few days after that, lol.

But these are all memories I forgot about until becoming a fan in December 2021. I had completely forgotten all of this, but these memories have trickled back to me since then.

Was born in 07, heard Beat It as my first song when I was about 3-4, those gongs in the beginning bring me back

I was born in '88. I don't remember ever not knowing Michael Jackson. If I'm being really technical, my first memory of Michael is probably the Jam video. It is an incredibly foggy memory, but I remember asking my father to repeatedly explain to me the difference between Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson lol. Still, I also feel like there was never a time I didn't know him.

My parents weren't fans of Michael, but they never said a single bad thing about him. I recall watching the Beat it and Bad music videos a lot for some reason. I also have a strong memory of making my Barbies dance like Michael (inspired by a 'leather' Barbie jacket). I recall being VERY curious about Michael as a child. I used to read my parents encyclopedias for fun, and I remember reading about him wearing 1 glove and immediately marching up to my father and demanding an explanation for why a person would wear 1 glove. I thought it was an amazing concept and I think I wore 1 glove around the house for a few days after that, lol.

But these are all memories I forgot about until becoming a fan in December 2021. I had completely forgotten all of this, but these memories have trickled back to me since then.

Ok I have to comment on the Barbie's thing. My sister and I and a couple of friends acted out the entire Thriller video using our Barbies. I had (still have) an MJ doll back from 1984 that came with a Beat It jacket so we used that. I also had Beauty and the Beast dolls so I used the beast mask for the werewolf mask. We even had a gray poodle skirt with a pink shirt for the Barbie we used for Ola. We had a bunch of Barbie backup dancers and cut up their clothes and drew on their faces to make them look like zombies. It was the best hehe

Sitting in the back of my dads car and getting all excited about this great song on the radio and he telling me - oh that's Michael Jackson! The next day he made me a mix tape of thriller and of the wall and I was hooked for life. The song on the radio was Billie Jean :)

Are you kidding me? 7.30pm? We all built our lives around 7.30pm on a Thursday. As a child and as a teenager, TOTP and the Sunday chart rundown ruled my entire life, lol. Excitement city! :D
I was so sad when they discontinued it thur night was never the same again I had a little tandy pink radio and i would record the crap iout of everything
it broke !
Oh, I have no doubt that you were a dangerous kid. :ROFLMAO:
i love how you just get it haha

Sitting in the back of my dads car and getting all excited about this great song on the radio and he telling me - oh that's Michael Jackson! The next day he made me a mix tape of thriller and of the wall and I was hooked for life. The song on the radio was Billie Jean :)
that sounds amazing to me to have parents who cared i wish i had that story i did not
my fandom was everthing đź’—

I was so sad when they discontinued it thur night was never the same again
I had pretty much stopped watching TOTP by the time they binned it but I was upset all the same. For all I know, it was crap at the end but, omg, the end of an era. I loved that show, loved it to bits. So many awesome performances over the years. Jimi. Black Sabbath. Alice.

I had a little tandy pink radio
I can't explain it but nothing has ever sounded quite as good to me as the songs that came at me out of our little mono radio, lol.

and i would record the crap iout of everything
I didn't do too much recording. I was too much in the moment, in the zone, wend. :ROFLMAO:

it broke !
:( That was a hardworking little radio!

Back