Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Funimation

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

PoP

Proud Member
Country
Canada
To all Dragonball Z fans here, I gotta ask which English Dub do you prefer best? There's Ocean Group in Vancouver, BC and Funimation in Fort Worth, TX. In the episode "Ginyu Assault", the dub changed from Ocean Group version to Funimation version in Canada, Netherlands, UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. However in the episode "Android Explosion", the version switched back to Ocean Group accociated with Westwood in Netherlands, UK, Ireland and Canada. I'd prefer Funimation dub, I find the voices is much more accurate to the characters than Ocean Group.

What's your pick?

Man this is hard....

The 2008 uncut Funimation dub is good because it features new dialouge as well as the old (more so after the Saiyan & Namek Saga).

Although, I do enjoy the Ocean Dub because it's the original (for the first few sagas) and its like when I used to watch when it first came out.

As a fan I've collected all of the different Dubs, so this is like asking me to pick my favourite child :p

I remember got my first Dragonball Z VHS 10 years ago for Christmas which is a Funimation one. I also got a couple more VHS, then I got a few DVDs and what I got last is the Season 1.

Here's the first video I thought I'd share for comparison.

Here's one for Goku's Super Saiyan 3 transformation

[YOUTUBE]c_a-tz6lqhI[/YOUTUBE]

The first is Funimation, then Ocean and finally the origianl Japanese versions. Goku plays by Sean Schemmel from Funimation, Kirby Marrow from Ocean and Masako Nozawa in Japanese.

I think Sean Schemmel is the better Goku. Mabye I'm just too use to his voice. The Ocean Dub worked well in the first two seasons, but when they switched from Ocean to Funimation then back to Ocean, it just sounded weird.

I prefer Schemmel's version.

I also like the new Kai's script

I read that Funimation wanted to "correct" the mistakes they made with the first dub

Schemmel is the perfect Goku. If you notice the one the Ocean version, the sound effects were dubbed over the original, I hated when they do that and Funimation keeps the original sound effects.

Here's another I found yesterday. The best line in Dragonball Z ever. "It's over 9,000!!!"

[YOUTUBE]2nuEm61cxyo&[/YOUTUBE]

Brian Drummond plays a good Vegeta, possibly his best line doing Vegeta. Sabat fits Vegeta much perfectly.:hysterical: Sorry, I find the Funimation/Kai version sounded funny to me, I just couldn't stop laughing.

hehe cool thread! I had friends who were into it so i'll vote on their behalf :p It's never really appealed to me though, personally.

They debated over the dub? Nobody has ever asked me about it. I remember when I saw the episode during the Frieza saga, when Vegeta wanted to have the 3rd wish from Porunga (Namek's/Original Dragon) I noticed the voices changed, then a little later I find that Funimation is way better than Ocean.

Check this out

Have Fun Kakarott
[YOUTUBE]k4POEDWIi98&[/YOUTUBE]

This is from the original 2000 DVD release, during that time Chris Sabat who voiced tries to sound to like Vegeta's original voice by Brian Drummond, guess he did good earlier, btu then he changed Vegeta's voice to sound even deeper and I like it that way.

I heard recently that the Ocean version of Dragonball Z Kai is on DVD in Canada & UK. God, honestly I'm a little sick of Ocean version now, but I still watch the Funimation version on the CW anyways. Now way I'm getting Ocean DVD of DBZ Kai.

Neither? I used to watch Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid (and loved it). However, I watched the Latin American dub, not the English, so I can't really vote on English dubbing, having never watched it that way.

Well, good thing for YouTube. You may check the the dubs of Funimation and Ocean if you want. If you don't then that's fine. Look at the one I've uploaded months ago.

Well, good thing for YouTube. You may check the the dubs of Funimation and Ocean if you want. If you don't then that's fine. Look at the one I've uploaded months ago.

True that, but I find non-English dubs tend to stay truer to the original Japanese dialogue than the English ones. I shall look at the Funimation and Ocean dubs with a bit of trepidation, knowing that, but I'll YouTube them anyway.

A bit off-topic, but:

I died. This is one of the funniest things I've seen--ever.

Last edited:
Funinmation with out a doubt. Sean's version of Goku was simply Epic. :)

Last edited:
Sean Schemmel's the best Goku.

I got em' all! I've collected the entire Dragonball Z series!

[YOUTUBE]QX0bwFN-K9w&[/YOUTUBE]

Back