Which songs from his big six albums (Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory, Invinicible) were originally going to be singles but weren’t?

they didn't promote it enough.
To be fair Michael didn't do much to promote it himself either. He did a signing at a record store, performed You Rock My World at the 30th Anniversary shows and did a radio interview. That was it. He could haved performed more songs from Invincible at The Apollo, American Bandstand and United We Stand, but instead choose to perform songs from his previous albums instead.

I never said it was the best album ever.
Sony manipulated the tracklist and they didn't promote it enough. They knew how to kill his music.
How do you know? How old were you when Invincible was released?

The lack of promotion excuse is garbage. I seen lots of huge billboards, adverts on tv/ newspaper reviews etc and hype around the time it was due to be released.

It was even hyped for apparently costing 30 million to make and the fact that MJ was having specific vocal lessons to make his voice deeper - I remember this hype well.

MJ's reputation in 2001, especially America was that he was this old weirdo has-been unfortunately. They were more interested in his personal life than his music.

MJ was very stubborn and could have performed songs from Invincible anywhere, yet he did nothing at all. Why should Sony waste any more of their money if the artist is not willing to go out and perform? It works both ways.

MJ was very stubborn and could have performed songs from Invincible anywhere, yet he did nothing at all. Why should Sony waste any more of their money if the artist is not willing to go out and perform? It works both ways.
Exactly. Imagine if he did the 1993 Superbowl and didn't perform any song from Dangerous but did 3 songs from Off The Wall instead

It was a very tricky situation for Michael Jackson, because at that time he was in conflict with Sony and he did not want his new album to generate profits for the record company.

If he performed new songs from the 'Invincible' album on certain award shows, TV shows, tour concerts, etc, then this would boost sales of his new album (which would be a good thing for him), but at the same time this would also generate profits for Sony.

I always wonder what the original vision from Michael of the singles, especially since he curated each song to be single worthy. Invinicible would be the most interesting to me since, among other things, it was the first album MJ had NO say in the choice of singles.
Michael Jackson planed to create at least 10 singles for this album four of them could have a video full mini film The most interesting part in that story that unbreakable video already had an director and even have a concept I read somewhere that the video included Michael dancing in the fire that could be a real banger!
Also he planed to shoot video for a Threatened and Whatever Happens Michael wanted to make some kind of story we could see through these four videos but unfortunately Sony ruined everything only Sony...

Dangerous was cancelled after the allegation. The YRMW short film was invented from the dangerous one that was meant to be shot.
He also shot the cover for Smile, which was eventually cancelled with opposition from Chaplin's family.

Unbreakable was supposed to be the first single from Invincible, but Sony didn't want to invest that much in the short film and eventually postponed the idea.
What??? Really??? YRMW is took concept from canceled DANGEROUS VIDEO??? OH MY GOD! 😳 I never heard of it! I didn't know Michael wanted to shoot video for this song! But that make sense!

The 'Invincible' album was planned to have at least 4 singles.

'Whatever Happens' was planned as the 4th single, according to Gil Cang (the co-writer of it).

'Heaven Can Wait', 'Threatened', 'Speechless', and 'Unbreakable' were also meant to get a release as singles ('Speechless' and 'Unbreakable' were released as promo singles in certain territories).
10 singles and 4 mini fims!!! That's very important! ☝️

as the 2nd single, it would've boosted Invincible to eternal fame
complete failure on Sonys side
MJs legacy carries the load on its shoulders for all time
got it, ESTATE?
Well that's true! With good decent promotion Invincible could become a real banger! that's pretty obvious because that's one of his best albums and lack of promotion is one of his biggest problems

MJ was no victim and was also to blame for his falling out with Sony; he had overblown the album's budget, delayed the album many times, kept saying that he was moving on to another music company, refused to tour and called the CEO a devilish racist. Had it not been for that he could've released as many singles as he wanted. This, and him backing out of the 2 Seas Records contract even though they had helped and supported him right after the trial are one of the times I catch myself angry at MJ.
That's not true. Michael Jackson was innocent man. Sony ruined everything

It was a very tricky situation for Michael Jackson, because at that time he was in conflict with Sony and he did not want his new album to generate profits for the record company.

If he performed new songs from the 'Invincible' album on certain award shows, TV shows, tour concerts, etc, then this would boost sales of his new album (which would be a good thing for him), but at the same time this would also generate profits for Sony.
Both as bad as each other resulting in the album to be a complete flop and forgettable in a year.

I disagree that it was all because of Sony, It's not the narrative the other die hards want to hear though, they can look no further that to blame the record label and only them...

Even if it was promoted remarkably and had 10 music videos, it still wouldn't match what was expected of MJ. He was no longer cool in 2001.

to my ears Invincible had enough hit material
Butterflies, Speechless, Break of Dawn, Whatever Happens, 2000 Watts, Heartbreaker
That's pretty obvious about most songs from Invincible album are real bangers I mean more than a half an album are hits that were destined to become a banger

To be fair Michael didn't do much to promote it himself either. He did a signing at a record store, performed You Rock My World at the 30th Anniversary shows and did a radio interview. That was it. He could haved performed more songs from Invincible at The Apollo, American Bandstand and United We Stand, but instead choose to perform songs from his previous albums instead.
he wasn't allowed to perform songs from Invincible

on American Bandstand he had the outfit from the YRMW video
michael-jackson-you-rock-my-world-Cover-Art.png

American-Bandstand-50th-Anniversary-michael-jackson-7176109-1200-1089.jpg

😂, you've embarrassed yourself there ffs, not quite Aaron Carter level post but not far behind.

I do find it slightly worrying though that you're making up lies to fit your narrative.
don't act like a bully
you're one of the reasons I'm starting to hate this forum
I didn't know he wore that outfit before
I made a mistake
I'm sorry
maybe I should leave
I'm too stupid for this forum
this is my last post

Last edited:
don't act like a bully
you're one of the reasons I'm starting to hate this forum
I didn't know he wore that outfit before
I made a mistake
I'm sorry
maybe I should leave
I'm too stupid for this forum
this is my last post
Saying that I act like a bully is a bit rich, especially as you're quite pally with Richard76 I've noticed.

No need to get all dramatic, I see you deleted a lot of the titles of your other threads yesterday too.

You're not too stupid for this forum and nobody has asked you to leave.

What??? Really??? YRMW is took concept from canceled DANGEROUS VIDEO??? OH MY GOD! 😳 I never heard of it! I didn't know Michael wanted to shoot video for this song! But that make sense!
Dangerous was going to be a huge success in 1994.
Imagine that was the time when Dangerous Tour began performing the song live, and there is no allegation at all.

Saying that I act like a bully is a bit rich, especially as you're quite pally with Richard76 I've noticed.

No need to get all dramatic, I see you deleted a lot of the titles of your other threads yesterday too.

You're not too stupid for this forum and nobody has asked you to leave.
you are right
I love you
I'm back
😵‍💫

Was the music killed because of Sony or because it wasn't "good"

If the former, then why do people insist it was bad as if that made it justifiable

If it's the latter, then why does Michael's reputation matter? Billie Jean 2 wasn't gonna fix things so @Blues_Away2023 what is your real beef with this album that you insist on calling trash that's really, Not, that, Bad.

The only two non-singles I can think of are Dangerous and Unbreakable (this one was mentioned on the sticker).

As for the Invincible album, it was always doomed to fail, regardless of the promotion. MJ was out of fashion. All the songs were just R&B. Allegations. The lead single was good but not great. Etc.

Michael Jackson planed to create at least 10 singles for this album .
Huh? Nothing like that is planned in advance. You might pick about 3 songs, but after that, EVERYTHING depends on the sales. If the 4th single is a success, you release a 5th. If that's a success, you release a 6th. If that's a success, you release a 7th. Etc. But you stop as soon as they don't sell. They go one at a time - sometimes they release more than "planned", sometimes less.

Last edited:
Back