why cant i find full concerts of the jackson 5?

rolerprod

Proud Member
either just amature audio or video,its pretty strange (1971-74ish) i only found one concert in paris and its 20 mins long,can someone help me find some?
did they not tour? also did michael perform his early solo albums on these early tours?

The going back to indiana special is very good amazing energy there, but the concert seems incomplete as we know who's lovin' you from an american dream is from the same date

either just amature audio or video,its pretty strange (1971-74ish) i only found one concert in paris and its 20 mins long,can someone help me find some?
did they not tour? also did michael perform his early solo albums on these early tours?
Of course they toured! The concerts just aren't available. And yes, Michael performed his solo stuff on the tours

Family/Estate don't care about concerts sadly...

Ah finally someone else who wants to see J5 concerts! They toured extensively from basically the mid 60s ( talent shows/ night clubs) till the day they left Motown in 1975/76.

For video there is only 1 full concert uploaded on youtube, which is “live in Mexico“ in 1975, very easy to find and recommended especially for the ballads.

If you are content with audio you have more choices. There is the album “live in Japan“ 1973 and especially highly recommended the double album “ live at the forum” which has 2 concerts at that venue, one from 1970 and the other from 1972. Michael is in absolute top form. There is also the album “going back to Indiana” which focusses on a performance in their hometown but as barthard47 said it is not the full concert.

Other than that you can watch bits and pieces of a concert in Senegal, Venezuela and Paris on youtube in awful quality. But if you’re like me you will still eat it up :p

For me watching the J5 on tour in their heyday is nr 1 on my wishlist, people don’t half realize what a good live band they were. The albums are nothing compared to the energy on stage. On tour they showed Motown that they could perform and play the songs just as good if not better than the studio musicians that made them In the first place.

Last edited:
Ah finally someone else who wants to see J5 concerts! They toured extensively from basically the mid 60s ( talent shows/ night clubs) till the day they left Motown in 1975/76.

For video there is only 1 full concert uploaded on youtube, which is “live in Mexico“ in 1975, very easy to find and recommended especially for the ballads.

If you are content with audio you have more choices. There is the album “live in Japan“ 1973 and especially highly recommended the double album “ live at the forum” which has 2 concerts at that venue, one from 1970 and the other from 1972. Michael is in absolute top form. There is also the album “going back to Indiana” which focusses on a performance in their hometown but as barthard47 said it is not the full concert.

Other than that you can watch bits and pieces of a concert in Senegal, Venezuela and Paris on youtube in awful quality. But if you’re like me you will still eat it up :p

For me watching the J5 on tour in their heyday is nr 1 on my wishlist, people don’t half realize what a good live band they were. The albums are nothing compared to the energy on stage. On tour they showed Motown that they could perform and play the songs just as good if not better than the studio musicians that made them In the first place.
oh thanks for all that info ill look everything up!
mike had them vocals down in those years im super curious to see how he handled the ballads especially stuff from his solo albums.
isnt it weird how no one uploaded amature recordings of tour dates online? im sure that people taped in the crowd for home video i wanna hear the first dates of the tours where his voice was the best so bad.
anyways thanks!

oh thanks for all that info ill look everything up!
mike had them vocals down in those years im super curious to see how he handled the ballads especially stuff from his solo albums.
isnt it weird how no one uploaded amature recordings of tour dates online? im sure that people taped in the crowd for home video i wanna hear the first dates of the tours where his voice was the best so bad.
anyways thanks!
He sings ballads on the live at the forum concerts like got to be there, ain‘t no sunshine, you’ve got a friend and of course who’s loving you. One day in your life, music and me and happy are live in Mexico and Venezuela, absolutely amazing performances.
He even sang got to be there live until 1978! Sadly no footage of that is available.

There is a mod here called @Mikky Dee who has actually seen the J5 live in the early 70s she made a thread about it. Recommended reading!

isnt it weird how no one uploaded amature recordings of tour dates online? i'm sure that people taped in the crowd for home video i wanna hear the first dates of the tours where his voice was the best so bad.
Back then wasn't like today where people in the audience just film concerts on their phone and upload them on Youtube or Facebook. People caught bootlegging with tape recorders could go to jail and/or pay high fines. It was possible to hide a tape recorder, but somebody with a camcorder or a 16mm camera would definitely be seen. If a concert was filmed, it was done by a professional film crew hired by the band/singer/record label. Or they had a roadie film their concerts on videocassette for their own use, but not for commercial release. Pre-1980s, concerts were generally professionally filmed if they were going to release a concert movie in theaters or broadcast on TV, which were usually really popular performers. There was no home video market. That started in the 1980s when VHS became popular.

Back then wasn't like today where people in the audience just film concerts on their phone and upload them on Youtube or Facebook. People caught bootlegging with tape recorders could go to jail and/or pay high fines. It was possible to hide a tape recorder, but somebody with a camcorder or a 16mm camera would definitely be seen. If a concert was filmed, it was done by a professional film crew hired by the band/singer/record label. Or they had a roadie film their concerts on videocassette for their own use, but not for commercial release. Pre-1980s, concerts were generally professionally filmed if they were going to release a concert movie in theaters or broadcast on TV, which were usually really popular performers. There was no home video market. That started in the 1980s when VHS became popular.
oh i see

Still there is no doubt in my opinion that there is a ton more footage than what we have seen now. If small concerts in Venezuela and Mexico got taped then there must be more. But those are atypical concerts with small crowds and no screaming. The real exciting concerts are those in the US from 1970 till 1973 at the height of J5 mania. The stage got invaded a lot apparently, pure mayhem at times, I’d love to see it!

Still there is no doubt in my opinion that there is a ton more footage than what we have seen now. If small concerts in Venezuela and Mexico got taped then there must be more. But those are atypical concerts with small crowds and no screaming. The real exciting concerts are those in the US from 1970 till 1973 at the height of J5 mania. The stage got invaded a lot apparently, pure mayhem at times, I’d love to see it!
its 2022 and those aren't on youtube so i honestly dont think we'll get to see them.

That Mexico performance looks like a TV show set to me. So probably not a regular concert on a tour, but similar to the PBS program Austin City Limits. ACL is live performances, usually with one act for the entire episode. I know Brazil had a concert TV show called Teatro Record.

That Mexico performance looks like a TV show set to me. So probably not a regular concert on a tour, but similar to the PBS program Austin City Limits. ACL is live performances, usually with one act for the entire episode. I know Brazil had a concert TV show called Teatro Record.
Yeah it is true , same for the venezuela concert. I like both they sound very intimate. Especially in Venezuela there is a big orchestra backing the band, sounds wonderful!

Just watched it. Awesome.

For me it's always about the live thing. Live vocals, every time. That's what I want. Currently obsessed with Bad 1987 but preparing to dive into as much J5 / Jacksons live stuff as I can find. I've noted all your recommendations, I'm good to go, lol. That Mexico performance, yeah, it's in a tv studio but that doesn't matter. They are performing exactly as if they were in a proper venue. It's awesome. I can hardly believe how good it is.

Mind blown. 😲

There's the 1973 Save The Children concert movie, but it is not Jackson 5 only. They perform a few songs. It's never been on home video, except as a bootleg in the VHS days. I don't think the soundtrack has ever been reissued on CD either. The soundtrack doesn't have all of the songs that are in the movie anyway. I think the only part of the movie that has been officially released is the Marvin Gaye part. It's on a DVD of different Marvin performances that I have.
1730ec03c02c6b1ba648db85d488dda679548c70.jpg

Here's the soundtrack, the J5 part is around 1:09:00. If you put your mouse arrow over the time line, the titles of the songs display

Reactions: MJ5
There's the 1973 Save The Children concert movie, but it is not Jackson 5 only. They perform a few songs. It's never been on home video, except as a bootleg in the VHS days. I don't think the soundtrack has ever been reissued on CD either. The soundtrack doesn't have all of the songs that are in the movie anyway. I think the only part of the movie that has been officially released is the Marvin Gaye part. It's on a DVD of different Marvin performances that I have.

Here's the soundtrack, the J5 part is around 1:09:00. If you put your mouse arrow over the time line, the titles of the songs display
Wow! The line-up for this show is amazing. This is pure gold. This is a piece of history right here. ☺️

Just listened to the J5 bit, really nice performance from Michael. But the line-up generally? So many of my fave performers are here. I'm definitely gonna be listening to the whole thing. Somebody needs to rescue this thing like they did with the Summer of Soul film, get it reissued or something. This Save the Children film here maybe doesn't have the cultural weight of the SoS film but it's still significant.

Last edited:

im so disappointed with mikes vocals why he always pushes chest on live performances like he just throws his mix voice out the window when he leaves the studio, was so excited to hear where you are live but he can't hit the notes

Somebody needs to rescue this thing like they did with the Summer of Soul film, get it reissued or something. This Save the Children film here maybe doesn't have the cultural weight of the SoS film but it's still significant.
I've heard various rumors as why the Save The Children film hasn't been released on home video. The most common one is song and/or artist rights issues. Another is publishing companies wanting too much money, which is a reason songs have been removed from some movies & TV shows when they are released on DVD, but they will still be on the TV reruns. I've also heard that supposedly Sammy Davis Jr was booed and (his estate or whoever owns his image I guess) doesn't want to put that out there. I've never seen the Sammy part other than the short clip in the trailer, so don't know if that's true or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen though, because this was the "Black is beautiful" afrocentric era and Sammy has always been more popular with white audiences than black and he was a member of the Rat Pack, who were mostly white entertainers. Like when Whitney Houston was booed at the Soul Train Awards one year in the 1980s.

With Summer Of Soul, Questlove had the clout to get that made. I was aware of the Harlem Cultural Festival long before the documentary was made. I've seen a few clips from it. I had read somewhere that the filmmaker couldn't get any movie or TV studios interested in showing it at the time. I guess for reasons that a Woodstock, Elvis Presley, or Rolling Stones filmed concert did not have. There was a reason that TV programs like SOUL! & Soul Train were created. ;)

For a long time the 1973 Wattstax film was long thought to be lost. The film reels were accidentally found in an office building around the early 2000s I think. It was then restored and first shown on PBS, then released on DVD. There's also a lot of footage that didn't make it to the movie. The concert was all day, and a few acts didn't perform at the main concert at the stadium, but elsewhere and much of that was filmed too.

I've also heard that supposedly Sammy Davis Jr was booed and (his estate or whoever owns his image I guess) doesn't want to put that out there. I've never seen the Sammy part other than the short clip in the trailer, so don't know if that's true or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen though, because this was the "Black is beautiful" afrocentric era and Sammy has always been more popular with white audiences than black and he was a member of the Rat Pack, who were mostly white entertainers.
Poor Sammy. I don't know much about his story but I think he was caught between a rock and a hard place. I assume Michael wrote the lyrics for You Were There. That line, 'it wasn't fair', so poignant and so true in more ways than one.

With Summer Of Soul, Questlove had the clout to get that made. I was aware of the Harlem Cultural Festival long before the documentary was made. I've seen a few clips from it. I had read somewhere that the filmmaker couldn't get any movie or TV studios interested in showing it at the time. I guess for reasons that a Woodstock, Elvis Presley, or Rolling Stones filmed concert did not have. There was a reason that TV programs like SOUL! & Soul Train were created. ;)
Yes. Quite.

For a long time the 1973 Wattstax film was long thought to be lost. The film reels were accidentally found in an office building around the early 2000s I think. It was then restored and first shown on PBS, then released on DVD. There's also a lot of footage that didn't make it to the movie. The concert was all day, and a few acts didn't perform at the main concert at the stadium, but elsewhere and much of that was filmed too.
Now this I didn't know about. Wattstax. I just went and checked out the Wattstax version of I'll Take You There. Really cool. Just wow! I adore Mavis Staples' voice. She was just killing it. Like always.

Guess which J5 got the loudest cheer when introduced during the save the children concert…

@rolerprod he certainly didn’t hit the notes around 1972/1973/1974 maybe you have to look up 1970/1971 performances or post 1975 gigs. Either way I don’t mind much, I like it maybe better this way.

Guess which J5 got the loudest cheer when introduced during the save the children concert…

@rolerprod he certainly didn’t hit the notes around 1972/1973/1974 maybe you have to look up 1970/1971 performances or post 1975 gigs. Either way I don’t mind much, I like it maybe better this way.
great thanks for the info im so stocked to hear him kill those demanding songs and high notes!

Poor Sammy. I don't know much about his story but I think he was caught between a rock and a hard place. I assume Michael wrote the lyrics for You Were There. That line, 'it wasn't fair', so poignant and so true in more ways than one.
On Summer Of Soul, Marilyn McCoo from the 5th Dimension said that before their performance they been worried about the crowd reaction, because they had been accused of sounding like a white group. They didn't know if they would be accepted by the mostly black audience.

To get anything released it has to be signed off by his brothers/estate. This is the same reason we never got an official Jacksons concert.
Not for the Motown stuff. It's entirely up to Universal/Motown as long as it's audio related. As for J5 concert footage, there are other parties involved. IIRC this was discussed on J5abc forum. @jaorecords do you by chance recall any details?

Honestly I don't need a jackson five concert I'm much more interested in jackson's triumph tour 81 and victory tour 84 the highlight

Triumph og Victory concert would be amaxing. All live - great vocal performance and lots of energy. - He smiled more back then - seemed like he really enjoyed himself on stage.

Not for the Motown stuff. It's entirely up to Universal/Motown as long as it's audio related. As for J5 concert footage, there are other parties involved. IIRC this was discussed on J5abc forum. @jaorecords do you by chance recall any details?
Sorry I do not have any additional details. Wow, I miss that old J5abc forum. Is that even in existence anymore?

Back