why did the media pick on Michael so much

Paul McCartney buys other artists' catalogues = he's a clever businessman. Michael Jackson buys the Beatles catalogue = he has no respect for other artists and has no right to exploit their work.

Half of Hollywood has plastic surgery = that's just part of showbizz. Michael Jackson has plastic surgery = he hates his race.

Quincy Jones and Lionel Richie have light-skinned children = well, they take after their mother. Michael Jackson has light-skinned children = there's no way they're his.

Any other person crying on TV about their physical insecurities and skin disorder = compassion and support. Michael Jackson crying on TV about his physical insecurities and skin disorder (Oprah interview) = mocking and suggesting he's lying.

Angelina Jolie says she loves kids = what a great role model. Michael Jackson says he loves kids = must be a pedophile.

Beyonce's B'Day sells 8 million copies = major commercial success. Michael Jackson's Invincible sells 13 million copies = flop.

Elvis = "King of Rock & Roll". James Brown = "Godfather of Soul". Michael Jackson, the best-selling pop artist of all time, = self-proclaimed "King op Pop".

I could go on and on.

Eminem writes a personal and angry song = He's a great artist who can express himself
Michael writes a personal and angry song (E.G Most of the HIStory album) = He needs to stop being so whiny, and go back to singing harmless pop songs like Rock With You

InvincibleTal;4057064 said:
Who else in Hollywood was ever asked on national TV if he has sex with his wife?

Did anybody ask Paul and Linda? Justin and Jessica? Beyoncé and Jay Z? NO.

they portrayed him as asexual, the only thing everyone wanted to know was whether he had sex. I could not believe when Oprah asked that on live TV!! its like that guy could not have a little piece of privacy. insane

Here's another double standard.

Oprah or some other celebrity goes on TV crying and talks about in their bad childhood = a brave strong person who's raising awareness of child abuse

MJ goes on TV and talks about his bad childhood= a whiney attention seeking drama queen who needs to stfu and get over it. :mad:

The media treated MJ worse than a murderer

It really disgusts me that R.Kelly, Chris Brown,polanski , and even oj ****ing simpson got far more support than mj did

Last edited:
Even OJ hasn't gotten even half the venom from the media that MJ got.

I don't think OJ Simpson has gotten any support

He used to have quite a bit of support from the black community.

Last edited:
He brought it on himself. Plain and simple. His changing appearance, his behavior, using a soft voice to talk all the time, when people close to him have confirmed he has a nice natural voice he should have been using, an amusement park and zoo in his back yard, inviting children over for sleep overs?

Some things, yes the media constantly picked on him for...but most of the things written or reported, were from Michael's own doing.

Food for thought
http://foreverlandis.hubpages.com/hub/Does-American-Dream-Have-to-Die-With-Michael-Jackson

The phrases "No good deed goes unpunished" and "Becareful who you love" pretty much sum up mikey's life from 1993 onward.....

They're freaking jealous of Michael's success and they wrote lies about him out of spite and for $$$ and ratings feeding everybody poison to make them ill minded and stupid to hear the truth. And when they find Michael got into a downfall because of the damned allegations in 93' and the trial in 05' they went on to attack him non-stop and when it was all over they just don't THINK when to STOP.

And since Michael was gone I still blame the media that he's gone and I will keep blaming until they learn to leave him alone and except the truth and quit feeding people poison of lies to make them stupid even in death.

It always makes me laugh whenever I see Elvis fans bashing MJ and calling him a pedophile.

because he was different.

i was thrilled that spike lee opened bad 25 with this james baldwin quote:

“Freaks are called freaks and are treated as they are treated – in the main, abominably – because they are human beings who cause to echo, deep within us, our most profound terrors and desires.”

yup.

steve harvey did a bit about "mike's just different" that was also pretty hilarious but nailed the point home at the same time.

and from michael himself:

"Masquerade the heart
Is the height of haunting souls
Just not what you seek of me
Can the heart reveal the proof
Like a mirror reveals the truth
See the evil one is you"

edit - about the children. i work with kids with behavioural challenges and i catch myself saying a lot of things that michael used to say about kids. just the other day i said how "in love" i was with my 6 little boys. no one says a word because i am female. what does it say about us that our default belief about a man who expresses love for children is that it is something untoward? ---> "see the evil one is you"

Last edited:
It always makes me laugh whenever I see Elvis fans bashing MJ and calling him a pedophile.

When they call Michael p********, that makes me wanna say ill things about Pricilla which I cannot say here. They're becoming dumb saying stupid crap about Michael.

Even OJ hasn't gotten even half the venom from the media that MJ got.

He used to have quite a bit of support from the black community.

there were auditoriums full of people across the country cheering OJ's not guilty verdict in 1995. Michael was laughed at and treated like a circus freak from the moment he was arrested.

Because he was PERFECT!!
People get jealous easily huh? and of course,
bad news travels faster than good news...so probably sells better too :(

images

Because he was PERFECT!!
People get jealous easily huh? and of course,
bad news travels faster than good news...so probably sells better too :(

images

The media treated MJ like crap, but he wasn't perfect. He was a human being with flaws just like the rest of us

metermaid;4059544 said:
because he was different.

i was thrilled that spike lee opened bad 25 with this james baldwin quote:

“Freaks are called freaks and are treated as they are treated – in the main, abominably – because they are human beings who cause to echo, deep within us, our most profound terrors and desires.”

yup.

steve harvey did a bit about "mike's just different" that was also pretty hilarious but nailed the point home at the same time.

and from michael himself:

"Masquerade the heart
Is the height of haunting souls
Just not what you seek of me
Can the heart reveal the proof
Like a mirror reveals the truth
See the evil one is you"

edit - about the children. i work with kids with behavioural challenges and i catch myself saying a lot of things that michael used to say about kids. just the other day i said how "in love" i was with my 6 little boys. no one says a word because i am female. what does it say about us that our default belief about a man who expresses love for children is that it is something untoward? ---> "see the evil one is you"

You, my friend hit the nail right on the head. In society being " different" is considered a "crime" . people like to pick on the "freaks" of society. Heck I was a victim of that treatment in middle school. They like to gang up on the "freaks". Many people have the beleif diffrent= bad .This is the main reason why mj was treated so abominably by the media . Society and the media :What's that?, Mikey actually gives a shit about the world, not interested in getting high, doesn't randomly hump every female he comes across, looks different (vitiligo,surguries) , is child-like, likes to hang out with children instead if partying like a idiot ? OMG burn the freak!

You know we are in bad shape as a society when an adult showing love to child is looked at as disgusting or wrong.

You, my friend hit the nail right on the head. In society being " different" is considered a "crime" . people like to pick on the "freaks" of society. Heck I was a victim of that treatment in middle school. They like to gang up on the "freaks". Many people have the beleif diffrent= bad .This is the main reason why mj was treated so abominably by the media . Society and the media :What's that?, Mikey actually gives a shit about the world, not interested in getting high, doesn't randomly hump every female he comes across, looks different (vitiligo,surguries) , is child-like, likes to hang out with children instead if partying like a idiot ? OMG burn the freak!

You know we are in bad shape as a society when an adult showing love to child is looked at as disgusting or wrong.

I agree. The funny thing is that the media loves to preach against bullying now, but they are bullies just the same when it comes to a person whom they cannot put in one of their usual boxes. Hypocrites.

I agree. The funny thing is that the media loves to preach against bullying now, but they are bullies just the same when it comes to a person whom they cannot put in one of their usual boxes. Hypocrites.

that's so true.I hate how people always use the fact that Michael share the bed with children as to prove that he was a pedo . how is simply sharing a bed sexual? I used to share a bed with my brother, I guess to those I must have committed incest. Funny how when they hear the word "bed" they think sex. And people call Michael the perverted one.

The same I said about sleeping in bed with our pets, we are not accused of bestiality. Oprah can have sleepovers with girls and she's not a deviant criminal.

Last edited:
The same I said about sleeping in bed with our pets, we are not accused of bestiality. Oprah can have sleepovers with girls and she's not a deviant criminal.

There has always been a double standard between men and women when it comes to children. People have said that they would feel more comfortable leaving their kids with a woman than with a man.

I don't think these people realize that women can be pedophiles too

i always really loved what bjork said about michael's "difference" as well:

"I have to say you're the best, keep fighting and it angers me how cruel everybody is to you. It's like in the US right now, it's illegal to be an eccentric. Maybe people would have been more understanding if you were a contemporary of Ludwig II of Bavaria, who comissioned Wagner and lived with the swans. I listen to Butterflies off your last album all the time. You are a true artist! Thanks for fighting and believing in magic even though the rest of the world have forgotten about it."

There has always been a double standard between men and women when it comes to children. People have said that they would feel more comfortable leaving their kids with a woman than with a man.

I don't think these people realize that women can be pedophiles too

That's true. No wonder so many men act as if any child not related them is covered in Ebola. I dont blame them. I know a guy (he loves kids) who refuses to work in any child related career out of fear of false allegations. It doesn't take much to be seen as a pedo if you're a man. And God help you if you are also eccentric, or are gay(or at least look it)...

Michael got picked on so much because he was the greatest entertainer of all time. the bigger and better target you are, their most likely gonna trash the hell outta you! michael had so much shit of them but he was strong! i adore him for his strength! :agree:

Bumping an old thread bc I can't find a better one for posting this tweet. Depressing account of the media treatment of Michael but also well-written, articulate and thoughtful.

"In the tumultuous arena of media coverage surrounding the enigmatic figure of Michael Jackson, it becomes painfully evident that no faction of the media spectrum possesses pristine hands. Indeed, the left wing, right wing, and ostensibly non-partisan outlets have all contributed, to varying degrees, to the modern-day crucifixion of the late King of Pop. The genesis of this defamation can be traced back to the sordid inception within the bowels of right-wing tabloid sensationalism, where fabricated narratives birthed a grotesque tapestry of scandal.

Right-wing media outlets, notorious for their penchant for salacious headlines and sensationalism, spearheaded the campaign of character assassination against Jackson. Fabrications masquerading as truths permeated the tabloid sheets, tarnishing Jackson's legacy with tales of outlandish behavior, dubious relationships, and grotesque allegations. These narratives, while lacking in factual basis, nonetheless permeated the broader media landscape, infecting even ostensibly impartial platforms with their virulent strain of character assassination.

However, the culpability of the media extends beyond the confines of right-wing tabloid sensationalism. Left-wing outlets, ostensibly champions of social justice and equity, were not immune to the allure of sensationalism when it came to the figure of Michael Jackson. Instead of providing a counterbalance to the baseless accusations proliferated by their right-wing counterparts, left-wing media outlets often succumbed to the temptation of exploiting Jackson's eccentricities for the sake of ratings and circulation.

Moreover, the ostensibly non-partisan media outlets, entrusted with the sacred duty of upholding journalistic integrity and impartiality, have also failed in their mandate when it comes to the coverage of Michael Jackson. Seduced by the allure of clickbait and sensationalism, these outlets too have succumbed to the pervasive narrative of Jackson's alleged transgressions, perpetuating falsehoods and half-truths under the guise of objective reporting.

The tragic irony of Michael Jackson's plight lies in the fact that even in death, he remains ensnared in the web of sensationalism and scandal. Social media movements such as, while undeniably instrumental in amplifying the voices of victims of sexual abuse, have also served to obstruct the path to fair and balanced reporting when it comes to the false allegations levied against Jackson. The presumption of innocence, a cornerstone of the justice system, has been callously discarded in favor of expediency and moral grandstanding.

The saga of Michael Jackson serves as a sobering reminder of the pernicious influence of sensationalism and scandal within the media landscape. Regardless of political affiliation or purported neutrality, no media entity emerges unscathed from the crucible of Jackson's narrative. It is incumbent upon us, as consumers of media, to exercise discernment and critical thinking in the face of such narratives, lest we become unwitting accomplices in the perpetuation of falsehoods and injustice.

In envisioning a brighter future, we must confront the systemic biases in media coverage, especially concerning figures like Michael Jackson, a black man in a predominantly white media landscape. By fostering empathy, understanding, and accountability, we can strive for honest storytelling and honor Jackson's legacy with the dignity he deserves. This requires both a shift in media practices and broader societal reckoning with issues of race and power. Only through collective action can we ensure a fair and balanced portrayal of Jackson's narrative."

Back