Why the lip-synching?

I always thought pitch correction is for people who can't sing like Justin Bieber (in my opinion).
At this point, people should cut Bieber some slack. He has proven time again that he is very talented, a good vocalist. Is this Bieber not being able to sing (mind you without any form of pitch correction added to his voice)?

For an unneeded thread this got a fair amount of replies. Some topics will never get old!
So well done @PurpleThriller 😜

Also what do I read here. Is it possible to correct vocals on the spot in a liveshow? Is this why all pop stars seem to sound impeccable these days?

Suggesting MJ should have sang more life on the HIStory would be damaging lol. He sounded terrible from the first track onwards 😅

For an unneeded thread this got a fair amount of replies. Some topics will never get old!
So well done @PurpleThriller 😜

Also what do I read here. Is it possible to correct vocals on the spot in a liveshow? Is this why all pop stars seem to sound impeccable these days?

Suggesting MJ should have sang more life on the HIStory would be damaging lol. He sounded terrible from the first track onwards 😅
What I don't understand is how Michael sounds good (not peak level) during the Royal Brunei concert in July 1996. But by Sep 1996, when History Tour kicked off, his vocals declined. What did he do to his voice between the Royal concert and the first History tour concert?

It is interesting that certain lip-synced performances (from the HIStory Tour) were also because of choreographic reasons.

For instance, he had to lip-sync the 'Dangerous' song in order for him to be able to take off his jacket towards the end of that performance.
What I don't understand is how Michael sounds good (not peak level) during the Royal Brunei concert in July 1996. But by Sep 1996, when History Tour kicked off, his vocals declined. What did he do to his voice between the Royal concert and the first History tour concert?
Michael Jackson does not sound good during the Royal Brunei concert in July 1996.

Listen, for example, the 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'' live performance where he struggles to sing his lines (and it is just the beginning of the concert).

It is interesting that certain lip-synced performances (from the HIStory Tour) were also because of choreographic reasons.

For instance, he had to lip-sync the 'Dangerous' song in order for him to be able to take off his jacket towards the end of that performance.

visible-confusion.gif

I’ve said this before, but this is exactly why The Victory Tour will always be my favorite MJ tour as far as live singing is concerned. It’s the perfect amalgamation of pre thriller vocal style and post thriller vocal style. The Thriller songs are sung so beautifully and clear with minimal raspiness and he used distortion as an embellishments here and there. He was still able to hit high notes night after night, effortlessly without any strain and when he did add grit and distortion it was done tastefully.
thats interesting i never got into the victory tour so i'd give it a shot after hearing this.

alr,it won't happen again
Since this thread is all over the place I don't have to worry about derailing, lol.

PT, can you recommend a couple of Prince tracks or vids for me to check out? You'll have your work cut out. Here are my demands:

- it's the guitar stuff I'm after
- live is better
- nothing too long, though! I can't be doing with muso self-indulgence
- didn't like 'Creep' but his guitars in it are awesome (the live version)
- didn't like Crimson & Clover but his Wild Thing guitar blew my mind
- the only Prince song I really like is SOTT so you haven't got much to go on, lol
- I did once watch a C4 documentary on him which was pretty good - he was playing piano (not sure if it was a rehearsal, think it might have been) - doing a kind of jazzy type thing - I did like that
- yesterday I posted that thing he did with Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne and all the rest - his guitar work in that is wild
- I really don't like Raspberry Beret
- Really don't like his voice
- it's the guitar stuff I'm after!!! 🙂

Those are your only clues. If you are still bored maybe you could give this a go? No probs if not. :D

P.S. I watched one clip where he did the J5 medley. I did like that. I'm never very fussed on his band but this was good.

Last edited:
I guess he was afraid of failing live. He knew he was struggling with hitting some notes and probably didn't want to miss a note or crack his voice.

Didn't MJ almost always sing live until the Dangerous tour? By then, he was in his 30s, so I guess he was getting tired or something.

Michael almost never sung live vocals from songs from his post 80s albums.

Jam: Always lip-synced
In The Closet: Always lip-synced, with the spoken part live.
Remember The Time: Performed just once at Soul Train Awards, where Michael was sat in a chair, yet he still lip-synced. 🤦‍♂️
Heal The World: Sung live once at 1998 Bahamas, but we don't have full footage. Otherwise, always lip-synced with live ad-libs at the end.
Black Or White: Sung live over the playback at Munich and Wembley 1992. Sung live once without the playback at Buenos Aires 1993. Otherwise, always lip-synced.
Will You Be There: Only spoken part at the end live.
Gone Too Soon: Only performed live once and thankfully it wasn't lip-synced.
Dangerous: Always lip-synced, except for Ostend 1997, where the song was sung partially live.
Scream: Always lip-synced, except for Brunei 1996, where it was partially live.
They Don't Care About Us: Always lip-synced
Stranger In Moscow: Always lip-synced.
Earth Song: Always lip-synced.
DS: Always lip-synced.
Come Together: Always lip-synced.
You Are Not Alone: Always lip-synced, with live at the end.
History: Always lip-synced.
You Rock My World: Always lip-synced.

It seems that after the 80s, Michael gave up live singing and when he had to sing live, it was usually the older songs, but even they started to be lip-synced during the History Tour. That is extremely disappointing.

Heal The World: Sung live once at 1998 Bahamas, but we don't have full footage. Otherwise, always lip-synced with live ad-libs at the end.
Will You Be There: Only spoken part at the end live.
You Are Not Alone: Always lip-synced, with live at the end.
He actually sang live only a few lines of 'Heal The World' at that Bahamas event, and the rest of it was (fortunately for him) lip-synced.

He also sang live certain lines of 'Will You Be There' at the NAACP Image Awards (1993).

On the first Johannesburg 'HIStory' concert (on October 10th, 1997), he re-sang 'You Are Not Alone' fully live, right after he ended the lip-synced performance of that song.

He was in high spirits at that Johannesburg 'HIStory' concert, and he did that as a gift for his fans.
Yall not tired of talking about the same thing? My god.
His on stage lip-syncing has become a fixation for his fans.

On the first Johannesburg 'HIStory' concert (on October 10th, 1997), he re-sang 'You Are Not Alone' fully live, right after he ended the lip-synced performance of that song.

He was in high spirits at that Johannesburg 'HIStory' concert, and he did that as a gift for his fans.

His on stage lip-syncing has become a fixation for his fans.
Lol, that is the first time I am hearing of this. Are you sure you are not making things up again?

I’m sure it’s been said a million times, but he got older! I think it boils down to the fact that his health was declining and also he probably couldn’t dance and sing simultaneously the same way he used too. Both dancing and singing on their own can be draining, both at the same time is tough. Additionally, he seemed to stop enjoying touring and certain types of live performance (“ I LOVE to tour 😐”) so I’m sure he was a bit mentally drained to, which makes it tough for him to give it his all. I have no doubt that if Michael was well rested and stood to sing as if he were in the studio he could do amazing things live. But I think there is only so much we can expect from him when all is considered. Does it mean the lipsyncing should be favored and no one has the right to wish he didn’t do so? No. But it’s worth the consideration of his circumstances

Last edited:
Source: mj_frenzy
Lol, that is the first time I am hearing of this. Are you sure you are not making things up again?
It comes from a fan field report that was published on the 'KING! of pop' Magazine.

"The first Johannesburg ['HIStory'] concert on 10th [1997] was absolutely amazing and turned out to be my favourite for many reasons…Michael did something different during 'Billie Jean' and during 'You Are Not Alone'…When Michael finished singing 'You Are Not Alone', he just walked up to the microphone and started singing 'You Are Not Alone' a cappella! It was the best moment of the whole SA [South African] tour. It is just impossible to describe in words how I felt at that moment…And, at the end of 'You Are Not Alone', Michael spoke for a while telling the crowd that he was 'happy to be home!' and that he thought South Africa was 'a paradise'…" ('Michael Jackson in South Africa' article, 'KING! of pop' Magazine, Issue 15)

His parents were also in the crowd, which was an additional reason for him to be even more happy at that concert.

It comes from a fan field report that was published on the 'KING! of pop' Magazine.

"The first Johannesburg ['HIStory'] concert on 10th [1997] was absolutely amazing and turned out to be my favourite for many reasons…Michael did something different during 'Billie Jean' and during 'You Are Not Alone'…When Michael finished singing 'You Are Not Alone', he just walked up to the microphone and started singing 'You Are Not Alone' a cappella! It was the best moment of the whole SA [South African] tour. It is just impossible to describe in words how I felt at that moment…And, at the end of 'You Are Not Alone', Michael spoke for a while telling the crowd that he was 'happy to be home!' and that he thought South Africa was 'a paradise'…" ('Michael Jackson in South Africa' article, 'KING! of pop' Magazine, Issue 15)

His parents were also in the crowd, which was an additional reason for him to be even more happy at that concert.
Can't this be just the acapella part of the song that was usually live?

You wrote that he "re-sang You Are Not Alone fully live" which implies that he sang it a second time, but this time live, which he didn't. According to the fan report, he sang the song acapella, so he only sang a few lines of the song before starting the J5 Medley.
His parents were also in the crowd on October 12, and he appeared to be rather exhausted and tired during that show, not particularly happy.

Since this thread is all over the place I don't have to worry about derailing, lol.

PT, can you recommend a couple of Prince tracks or vids for me to check out? You'll have your work cut out. Here are my demands:

- it's the guitar stuff I'm after
- live is better
- nothing too long, though! I can't be doing with muso self-indulgence
- didn't like 'Creep' but his guitars in it are awesome (the live version)
- didn't like Crimson & Clover but his Wild Thing guitar blew my mind
- the only Prince song I really like is SOTT so you haven't got much to go on, lol
- I did once watch a C4 documentary on him which was pretty good - he was playing piano (not sure if it was a rehearsal, think it might have been) - doing a kind of jazzy type thing - I did like that
- yesterday I posted that thing he did with Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne and all the rest - his guitar work in that is wild
- I really don't like Raspberry Beret
- Really don't like his voice
- it's the guitar stuff I'm after!!! 🙂

Those are your only clues. If you are still bored maybe you could give this a go? No probs if not. :D

P.S. I watched one clip where he did the J5 medley. I did like that. I'm never very fussed on his band but this was good.
sorry for late reply,but i don't know if there is any prince track like that at all .
maybe you could try ,,Electric Chair,, from him? I don't know tho lol

sorry for late reply,but i don't know if there is any prince track like that at all .
maybe you could try ,,Electric Chair,, from him? I don't know tho lol
OK, so far ...

Electric Chair / album version
The Future / album version
The Future / live, Tokyo, 1990
Electric Chair / SNL, 1989

oh my, lordy lord!!! 😲

Electric Chair / SNL, 1989 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

OK, so far ...

Electric Chair / album version
The Future / album version
The Future / live, Tokyo, 1990
Electric Chair / SNL, 1989

oh my, lordy lord!!! 😲

Electric Chair / SNL, 1989 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥
Prince's Batman soundtrack album is possibly my favourite Prince album. That album is so underrated.

Mind you, I haven't even listened to 40% percent of Prince's discography.

Prince's Batman soundtrack album is possibly my favourite Prince album.
I loved Partyman back in the day but am a bit lukewarm about it now. I only ever heard the chart stuff from Prince and it never really got me madly excited. He's really good but he just didn't ever really get through to me. So I never explored his stuff. Electric Chair wasn't a single in the UK, afaik, so I only heard it for the first time today. I do vaguely remember The Future.

I need to listen to the rest of the album. :D

That album is so underrated.
I didn't know that. Seems weird. The songs I have heard (not many, obvs) are very radio friendly, very mainstream but at the same time not predictable at all.

Mind you, I haven't even listened to 40% percent of Prince's discography.
I probably haven't listened to 97% of it so I've got a ways to go. :ROFLMAO:

For now, I'll stick with Batman. Seems like there'll be enough there to keep me going for a while. Just Electric Chair alone - it's so catchy but SO different, also. The structure, his phrasing. I'm in heaven.

omg, the guitars!!!!!!

Back