Why wasn't Leave Me Alone on the original Bad album

Spaceship

Proud Member
How does trash like Just Good Friends make it on the album but not Leave Me Alone 🤔

Just your stupid thread is the total trash here.
Just Good Friends is a master pease!
Tbf to spaceship here, just good friends is considered to be the among the weakest (if not the weakest) track on the album.

I personally really enjoy it though.

As for leave me alone, what was the recording date of it? Did it get written just after the album was cut or just not originally intended? Such a great track.

Tbf to spaceship here, just good friends is considered to be the among the weakest (if not the weakest) track on the album.

JGF isn't a bad song, it just feels like a weak song if compared to the other 10 tracks on the album

As for leave me alone, what was the recording date of it? Did it get written just after the album was cut or just not originally intended? Such a great track.
LMA was a day-one release exclusivly on the cd version of the album

Just your stupid thread is the total trash here.
Just Good Friends is a master pease!

giphy.gif

no.

It's a valid question, but may be we should look at it broader. Why was Leave Me Alone the bonus track, and not any other song on the album? Another Part Of Me could have been the bonus track, since it was a song that was already used in Captain Eo. Speed Demon could have the bonus track, since it was not a single.

What were Michaels thoughts?
1. Bad -> title track, can't be left out
2. The Way You Make Me Feel -> I promised my mother to do a 'shuffle'... plus: planned as one of the first singles
3. Speed Demon -> yes, that could be the bonus track, but Bruce blended the fade out with the intro of Liberian Girl and I really like that
4. Liberian Girl -> I need a ballad on side A, I can't leave this one out
5. Just Good Friends -> I want a duet with someone famous on this album, it should stay
6. Another Part Of Me -> yes, that could be a bonus track, but also, this could be an awesome live song... I need it on the record
7. Man In The Mirror -> this is an epic anthem, and an important message I want so send out, and also: Quincy is going to kill me if I choose this one
8. I Just Can't Stop Loving You -> damn, we're already pressing singles of this one... and besides: I need a ballad on side B too
9. Dirty Diana -> I need a Beat It on this album, and this track will do the job
10. Smooth Criminal -> NO-ONE TOUCHING THIS ONE! I wish I could put this song on both sides of the album.
11. Leave Me Alone -> What the heck... then it should be this one.

Technically, "Leave Me Alone" was on most editions of the "Bad" album's first release - only the vinyl version omitted it. I couldn't find any explanation online though, as to why.

Just good friends is an amazing song! But there were other masterpieces like throwing your life away, chicago 1945,…. Just release everything! It must have been a hard choice for mj to choose songs for the album… all masterpieces

Technically, "Leave Me Alone" was on most editions of the "Bad" album's first release - only the vinyl version omitted it. I couldn't find any explanation online though, as to why.
The cassette tape didn't have it either. (The minidisc did, by the way.)
Vinyl was still the most sold format back then, but it had time constraints. There is simply a limit to how many minutes of music fit on one side.

Just good friends is an amazing song! But there were other masterpieces like throwing your life away, chicago 1945,…. Just release everything! It must have been a hard choice for mj to choose songs for the album… all masterpieces
Isn't Throwing Your Life Away from 1988? Chicago 1945 doesn't mesh with Bad to me.

The best option would've been Cheater

I feel like Smooth Criminal is the better song to close the album. It's way more kick ass than Leave me Alone.

I always assumed they wanted to boost the sales of the "new" format, that being of course CD.
Same reason they included Todo Mi Amor Eres Tú as a bonus track on some spanish Bad CDs.

I always assumed they wanted to boost the sales of the "new" format, that being of course CD.
Same reason they included Todo Mi Amor Eres Tú as a bonus track on some spanish Bad CDs.

No, it wasn't. Todo Mi Amor Eres Tú was released as a single in some countries. It wasn't on the album. (Until they put it on Bad 25 in 2012).

UPDATE: I have to correct myself. As NeoGardiV8 showed below, there IS a BAD album from 1987 with Todo Mi Amor Eres Tú. Four eyes see more than two!

Last edited:
No, it wasn't. Todo Mi Amor Eres Tú was released as a single in some countries. It wasn't on the album. (Until they put it on Bad 25 in 2012).
It's good that you don't believe everything you read on the internet from the get go, that's a good mentality; however:
https://www.discogs.com/release/2200404-Michael-Jackson-Bad
Check it out for yourself.
Like i said, Todo Mi Amor Eres Tú was included on some spanish Bad CDs, why? well, apart from being an obvious choice, it was a decision made to boost sales in that region.

gosh, i feel like MJFrenzy when writing like that lmao

You notice this on many LP pressings where leave me alone is missing

It's good that you don't believe everything you read on the internet from the get go, that's a good mentality; however:
https://www.discogs.com/release/2200404-Michael-Jackson-Bad
Check it out for yourself.
Like i said, Todo Mi Amor Eres Tú was included on some spanish Bad CDs, why? well, apart from being an obvious choice, it was a decision made to boost sales in that region.

gosh, i feel like MJFrenzy when writing like that lmao

Geez, you're right! I updated my post. Thanks for correcting this. I did check Discogs as well, but didn't see this one... I stand corrected!

The cassette tape didn't have it either. (The minidisc did, by the way.)
Vinyl was still the most sold format back then, but it had time constraints. There is simply a limit to how many minutes of music fit on one side.
I always figured technical limitations were why the song wasn't on the vinyl or cassette versions. There simply just wasn't enough room to fit it on there.

It should have been on all versions, replacing "Just Good Friends", which was doo doo feces
If I had a penny every time I've seen you say "doo doo feces" to describe Michael's music, I'd probably have a whole dollar by now. It's getting kinda old by now bud. 💀

I couldn't imagine the Bad album without Leave Me Alone.

My Mum never bought the vinyl, she queued for ages on release day, to get the CD because it came with an extra song.

Why wasn't Leave Me Alone on the original Bad album
The answer is simply because Sony makes CD players, and they want you to buy one.

And so begins the disgusting practice of "bonus tracks".

One of the worst tracks of his career.

5. Just Good Friends -> I want a duet with someone famous on this album, it should stay
And this is the only reason people like it.

And for the record, "it has someone famous" is a really bad reason to like a song.

Wasn't on the cassette either, and that was the biggest selling format at the time.

I always figured technical limitations were why the song wasn't on the vinyl or cassette versions. There simply just wasn't enough room to fit it on there.
Well, yeah, an LP is limited to about 22 minutes per side, but a cassette isn't. "Technical limitations" isn't the root cause.

Besides, then the question simply becomes "why would they choose 11 songs if they know there's only enough room for 10?"

And the answer is because it's a deliberate decision, in order to sell CD players.

Back