Why wasn't Moonwalker given a theatrical release in America?

Spaceship

Proud Member
You would think the biggest entertainer in the world would have had a full theatrical release in the United States for his movie. Prince had three (Purple Rain, Under the Cherry Moon and Graffiti Bridge), but MJ's movie is only direct-to-video? It's weird.

From what I've gathered, MJ's manager Frank Dileo was the one who botched it.

I read that they thought it would make more money coming out on video, similar to the making of Thriller, rather than being released in cinemas and potentially underperforming at the box office

I'm sure it was the most purchased VHS around the time of its release as well

You would think the biggest entertainer in the world would have had a full theatrical release in the United States for his movie. Prince had three (Purple Rain, Under the Cherry Moon and Graffiti Bridge), but MJ's movie is only direct-to-video? It's weird.
Actually 4 with the Sign O' The Times concert film. But the ones you named are actual movies, and only 1 of them (Purple Rain) was a box office success. Moonwalker is pretty much a compilation of music videos, and people could watch videos on TV. Movies starring singers usually did not make a lot of money anyway, look at the acting careers of Mick Jagger, Sting, & Madonna. Singers did when musicals were popular in the 1940s to 1960s, and it was more accepted that entertainers could do more than one thing.

Singers did when musicals were popular in the 1940s to 1960s, and it was more accepted that entertainers could do more than one thing.
Isn’t this the case anymore in the USA? Where I live the most famous people are jack of all trades. They’re presentators, singers, actors you name it.

Isn’t this the case anymore in the USA? Where I live the most famous people are jack of all trades. They’re presentators, singers, actors you name it.
Yeah, they can be a singer and be on a reality TV show at the same time. 😄 That's how Ozzy Osbourne got a younger audience, for his family show that was on MTV. Now there's The Voice, American Idol, Dancing With The Stars, The Masked Singer, etc. The currently popular rapper Cardi B came from a reality show Love And Hip Hop. That's how Cardi's music instantly became successful, a lot of people knew her from the TV show. In the USA, popular rappers have been accepted as actors, either in movies or TV shows, in a way most pop & rock stars like Madonna couldn't. Such as Ice Cube, Queen Latifah, Fresh Prince aka Will Smith, Ice-T, Method Man, Eve, LL Cool J, etc. People went to see them act, not just to watch them as a pop star like with Elvis Presley or Beatles movies. David Bowie might have been taken seriously as an actor by movie critics, but I don't think he was trying to be a movie star to carry a movie. Bowie wasn't a box office draw like Will Smith and he tended to do "art films". Bowie was never really that big as a singer in the USA anyway other than the Let's Dance era. He had a few hits before that like Fame, which even got R&B radio airplay. I think his earlier images & music was probably too weird for mainstream USA in the 1970s, especially what was called the heartland & bible belt areas. That is where country music tended to be more popular.

There are four theories about not theatrically releasing the 'Moonwalker' film in North America.

According to the first theory, Michael Jackson was not satisfied with the way of the planned, theatrical distribution of his 'Moonwalker' film there.

There is also a theory that his then-manager Frank DiLeo did not think that this was a good and profitable idea, so he did not allow the release there.

Another theory suggests that Warner Bros. could not find a suitable time (in their schedule) to theatrically release that film there.

A final theory has to do with conflicts and disagreements which led to the cancellation of the deal of the Creative Artists Agency that at that time wanted to undertake that release there.

Back