Will we ever have an artist as big as MJ ever again?

mj_frenzy;4181778 said:
Here, Oasis even surpassed Beatles because ‘Definitely Maybe’ became the fastest selling debut album of all time in UK (beating ‘Please Please Me’, in that respect).

That's good for them!

mj_frenzy;4181778 said:
I do not doubt at all these high chart positions that Beatles’ songs reached during those years, but in the Beatles’ case these high chart positions do not necessarily mean good quality of music.

For example, the first two Beatles albums that gave rise to Beatlemania (‘Please Please Me’, ‘With The Beatles’) were by all accounts very easy, mushy pop songs (superficial lyrics along with some catchy tunes), not to mention that almost half of the material from these two albums was just …covers.

I'm not really the kind of person to believe that just because a song is simpler, it therefore means it's of a lesser quality. They are simpler, more superficial songs than their later material I'll definitely give you that, but I still consider it to be great music. It's like most tracks on Thriller, most don't have a great amount of depth to them (especially when compared to MJ's later records) but I still consider it excellent music nonetheless.

Also for the record, it was much more common for artists back then to perform covers. At the rate their contract forced them to churn out music whilst performing an ungodly amount of concerts/TV appearances/shooting films, it's to be expected they'd have to resort to covers. Additionally it wasn't half covers. Only 1/3rd of their '63/'64 material were covers. Everything else was written entirely by Lennon-McCartney (bar one song by George Harrison), which is a significant achievement for the early-mid 1960s.

I think the fact that that A Hard Day's Night was entirely Lennon-McCartney compositions, written at the height of Beatlemania (under the aforementioned circumstances) and turned out as good as it did is something in itself. Hell, it's widely accepted that The Beatles helped set the standard for musicians to write their material. They weren't the first to do so (I believe Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry were an influence on them in this regard), but there's an interesting distinction pre-and-post Beatles of the songwriting expectations of musicians, and how you're judged upon that.

mj_frenzy;4181778 said:
I am of the opinion that Beatles were overrated as a band. A very large part of their success, particularly during their first years, has to be put down to other factors, rather than to the quality of their songs (Brian Epstein’s effective public relations, people’s hunger from all over the world for care-free tunes after the misery that World War II brought on, etc.).

Like I said before, I consider their ‘Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band’ a truly good album (both thematically & musically), but other than this album & some other marginally good tracks dispersed in their discography, I am afraid the rest of the Beatles’ discography comprises of substandard material.

You're entitled to your personal opinions on their music, but I completely disagree on your comment about "other factors" being the main success for their music. While I won't disagree that other factors come into play (Brian Epstein, for example, was an extremely good manager), the quality of their music is absolutely a factor that played into their success. I mean hell, if their music wasn't high quality, it wouldn't have lasted the many generations it has. It really is that simple.

I'm sure hype and hysteria and great public relations did help with their incredible charting in the mid-60s, but you can say that of all huge artists during their peak. Even after Beatlemania, their records still did well (Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road are amongst their best selling albums IIRC). A great way to see if older music is "high quality" is by how it does many decades down the line... like through Spotify, which is primarily used by more younger audiences. In just over one year on Spotify, The Beatles have at least 14 songs with over 20,000,000+ streams. For comparison, Oasis only have about 5 songs with 20,000,000+ streams (not suggesting that low stream counts = low quality music, such an argument would be bollocks. Merely providing for comparison since this started as a comparison between the two bands).

Now of those 14 Beatles songs, about 7 were released between 1963-1965. If a 50+ year old song is getting tens of millions of streams on a single streaming service, surely that must mean that, even if outside factors at the time could help contribute to it's success upon release, it's not just these outside factors that contributed to it's success? The earlier material is quite evidently loved by countless of millions of people around the globe. Hell, a 2000 compilation of theirs is the 3rd best selling album of the 21st century - 30-40 years after the original songs release dates, went to #1 in 19 countries and stayed there for a while! Surely all of this must count for something?

In my opinion, it all comes down to the core of what The Beatles were all about: the music. That's what I believe an artists longevity comes down to: how great their music is. It's exactly why in 2100, people will still be listening to them, why people will be listening to Michael Jackson, etc etc. You're more than entitled to dislike most of their work, but their music does continues to be amongst the most popular and respected of legacy artists for many reasons (outside of chart/sales success). It wasn't just outside factors that propelled them to success :)

mj_frenzy;4181778 said:
Regarding John Lennon & Paul McCartney, believe it or not, personally I think that their really memorable compositions came after the Beatles’ era (for example, Lennon’s ‘Jealous Guy’, ‘Woman’, ‘Beautiful Boy-Darling Boy’, ‘I’m Losing You’, while the ‘Band On The Run’ album is a shining example of Paul McCartney’s songwriting skills).

I can believe that actually haha. Over the years I've come to really appreciate some of their solo material!

Last edited:
I think MJ_frenzy is getting 'big in the UK' confused with 'worldwide mega stardom'.

Oasis were hyped beyond hype for some time in the UK. They are not held in the same 'esteem' all over the world.

I'm surprised we are even arguing the point really. So I shall stop.

You can't invent the lightbulb twice! No matter what advancements ae made, no matter how the world changes. It was started be one man!!

I think MJ_frenzy is getting 'big in the UK' confused with 'worldwide mega stardom'.

Oasis were hyped beyond hype for some time in the UK. They are not held in the same 'esteem' all over the world.

I'm surprised we are even arguing the point really. So I shall stop.

This is not directed at MJ_frenzy but is a general observation of mine from reading media and online discussion that this oasis vs beatles debate has reminded me of. I have to say it's surprising how myopic people can be regarding artists popular in the USA/UK. I have seen people try to argue that Elvis is bigger than MJ worldwide, people try to put Prince on the same level as MJ, and I even remember reading an article on the Guardian recently saying that George Michael was the greatest pop star of the MTV era, and it's like...huh?! I mean people are totally free to have their subjective opinions and prefer certain artists over others, and discuss the great things about different artists, but I wish people wouldn't argue on behalf of others when making dubious assertions about who is the biggest or greatest artist. Because that's an objective question. We're fortunate that there are now lots of measurements and stats of international music consumption, e.g. from Youtube, iTunes, Spotify, global digital charts, etc that quite clearly reveal the true picture. Also when evaluating global renown people shouldn't just quote sales because the US and to lesser extent UK markets make up a large share of sales (especially in the past) and sales/certifications in other markets have not traditionally been well documented. For example, it's entirely possible Michael may have sold more than Elvis worldwide.

In this case, I don't see how you can argue that oasis are greater than the beatles (and if you think they were they certainly haven't maintained it) because the beatles are better in virtually every parameter and music platform. Looking at the stats pretty much the only truly global artists are MJ, the Beatles and maybe Queen and Bob Marley - they are the greatest. And of them MJ seems to be the most popular today.

IMO, people should realize that MJ wasn't only big due to some outside lucky circumstance that today's stars do not have. He was that big because he was exceptionally talented, exceptionally versatile and multi layered and on top of that very charismatic and had a very unique personality and worldview that is still fascinating to people. So IMO the answer to "why" is not MTV, the Internet or anything like that, but that there is simply no one around today that is a match to all of that MJ had.

I agree very much that circumstances did not make MJ big alone, BUT they sure added to the stardom.
MJ was very very innovative back then - the morphe technic used in Black or White - today it would not be special at all, back then it was HUGE. Also Don't Stop Till You GEt Enough - the technic with multiple MJ's in the video was amazing back then, now any teenager with a video and a computer can do that...

He was always truely innovative - but the stars today don't really have that opportunity - cause all the technic is here already.

If you are black or white doesn't matter today, it did back then.

So I believe MJ's extreme talent and to some degree also circumstances made him as big as he was/is. - And I think you can say that about most singers, artist etc. - They become famous because of their talent, but some are just lucky enough to be helped even more with the time and circumstances. - The Beatles too IMO. - Elvis too. The sexy dance was revolutionizing back then - now, it's normal and he would not have gotten any attention about it... Elvis was very lucky with the circumstances IMO - I have never really understood the hype about him. His sang ok, he never wrote a song in his life, never made musical arrangements etc. His performance was nothing special - only back then because he had some sexy hips movement or something...

We did, his name was Prince and he was funky.

Uh... Not to sound like a hater, but Prince isn't as or ever was as big as MJ. Prince was indeed very talented, and I won't argue the impact had, but if we are being realistic MJ is leaps and bounds ahead of Prince when it comes to fame/popularity

I agree very much that circumstances did not make MJ big alone, BUT they sure added to the stardom.
MJ was very very innovative back then - the morphe technic used in Black or White - today it would not be special at all, back then it was HUGE. Also Don't Stop Till You GEt Enough - the technic with multiple MJ's in the video was amazing back then, now any teenager with a video and a computer can do that...
Then why hasn't any teenager with a video and a computer become a worldwide musical phenom, and maintained that fame for decades?
Why has no popular artist today in general reached Michael's level despite all of the technology at their disposal?

He was always truely innovative - but the stars today don't really have that opportunity - cause all the technic is here already.
I'm sure something could be done, there's always something that can be done, but hey, who knows the media puts any artist on MJ's level as long as they copy him to any extent (and even some that don't), so maybe no one feels the need to innovate when the media gives you legend status anyway. :lol:

If you are black or white doesn't matter today, it did back then.
That actually stacked the odds against Michael.

Last edited:
We did, his name was Prince and he was funky.

I like Prince but no way was he as big as MJ. You have prefer Prince over MJ and that's fine but to state that Prince was as big as MJ is absolute ludicrous.

HIStoric;4181792 said:
They are simpler, more superficial songs than their later material I'll definitely give you that, but I still consider it to be great music.

Concerning Beatles’ first two albums, I have to say that I am really enamored with the way that John Lennon sings his lines in ‘Twist And Shout’.

Other than that, I would not describe the puerility of the rest of that material as good music, let alone great music.

HIStoric;4181792 said:
Only 1/3rd of their '63/'64 material were covers. Everything else was written entirely by Lennon-McCartney (bar one song by George Harrison), which is a significant achievement for the early-mid 1960s.

I clearly referred to Beatles’ first two albums released in 1963 (‘Please Please Me’ & ‘With The Beatles’). There are 12 included covers out of the 28 tracks which amounts to almost half of the material.

HIStoric;4181792 said:
A great way to see if older music is "high quality" is by how it does many decades down the line... like through Spotify, which is primarily used by more younger audiences. In just over one year on Spotify, The Beatles have at least 14 songs with over 20,000,000+ streams. For comparison, Oasis only have about 5 songs with 20,000,000+ streams (not suggesting that low stream counts = low quality music, such an argument would be bollocks. Merely providing for comparison since this started as a comparison between the two bands).
Now of those 14 Beatles songs, about 7 were released between 1963-1965. If a 50+ year old song is getting tens of millions of streams on a single streaming service, surely that must mean that, even if outside factors at the time could help contribute to it's success upon release, it's not just these outside factors that contributed to it's success?

Of course, certain Beatles’ songs, in particular the catchiest ones, will continue to be played through various streaming services with success (as it is the case also with many other tracks from other famous bands).

But this will not make me disown my initial contention (about other factors playing a major role also in Beatles’ success at that time).

HIStoric;4181792 said:
Hell, a 2000 compilation of theirs is the 3rd best selling album of the 21st century - 30-40 years after the original songs release dates, went to #1 in 19 countries and stayed there for a while! Surely all of this must count for something?

Surely it must count for something.

But a large percentage of its sales were apparently made up of the same people who experienced & were affected by the Beatlemania back then.

KatrinaXP;4181833 said:
We're fortunate that there are now lots of measurements and stats of international music consumption, e.g. from Youtube, iTunes, Spotify, global digital charts, etc that quite clearly reveal the true picture. Also when evaluating global renown people shouldn't just quote sales because the US and to lesser extent UK markets make up a large share of sales (especially in the past) and sales/certifications in other markets have not traditionally been well documented.

Keep in mind that lots of different measurements & statistics (of international music consumption) can lead to conflicting results as to who are the biggest/greatest/most famous artists or bands & the exact order of them.

Anyway, I believe such ranking procedures tend to become, after a certain point, too theoretical & rather meaningless.

My last two cents in this thread, but I just had to say this.
When it comes to how big a current/future artist is don't believe the hype.

As we all know Michael was far from a media darling, and when you look at how some artists are praised its clear that for whatever reason that they are favored by the media and as we all know the media is a powerful tool when it comes to swaying the general publics opinion.

Pretty much, just because an artist is said to be as big or as good as Michael doesn't make it true. :lol:
That isn't saying the artist sucks, just that they're not MJ level.:lol:

Last edited:
Agreed PDP.

I can not think of another artist that would have had the success Michael had (and is still having) with the decades long media assassination attempts.

MJ' s massive success was DESPITE the media, not BECAUSE of them for the vast majority of his career.

Give MJ's media attacks to any other artist I can think of and they would be long gone, as far as charts, sales, and legacy goes.

Speaking of the media, I love how they are always looking for a new Michael Jackson. They look to compare the big current artists with MJ and proclaim them to be the next Michael Jackson. So the media love to bash Michael at any given opportunity but at the same time they are looking for a new Michael Jackson. I find that quite funny.

Speaking of the media, I love how they are always looking for a new Michael Jackson. They look to compare the big current artists with MJ and proclaim them to be the next Michael Jackson. So the media love to bash Michael at any given opportunity but at the same time they are looking for a new Michael Jackson. I find that quite funny.

That's because low-key the media WANTS another MJ. He's was so unique and the music industry seems empty without him. His style, singing, and dancing is something that is irreplaceable.

Simple answer: NO! One Direction, Adele, Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, etc. all may be loved around the world now but they won't ever reach Michael's level.

As a 90's baby, the only people I can think of, in terms of absolute mania, were the Spice Girls, which I know aren't current.
But I can remember their faces being on everything cameras, sweets, crisp packets, dolls, clothing, bedding; there were posters, magazines, a movie, and they were everywhere; they seemed to be on every TV show, performed at seemingly every awards ceremony, on the radio; they couldn't go anywhere without being mobbed.
Keep in mind, they only released two albums (as a 5 piece group) and they got very famous and popular really quickly.

So, in terms of exposure, the Spice Girls, came pretty close, but their music or dancing weren't even close.

I'm sorry, this wasn't really what you asked for; I actually can't think of anybody current who is as big as Michael :)

How's The Spice Girl's catalogue selling now?

I know what you are trying to say but, you can not compare a heavily hyped/promoted 5 piece throw away girl band, that were big for only a few years, with an artist that started selling in 1969 and continues to outsell them nearly 50 years later.

I don't think so.
Michael Jackson became such a big star for 2 reasons, his incredible talent, and the controversy surrounding him. People were fascinated by him. His incredible dancing and singing, iconic fashion style, and more.

The controversy, although tragic, I think elevated how big he was. People were intrigued by the lightness of his skin, different appearances, etc.

So no, I don't think there will be a star as big as Michael.
Atleast not during this generation.

Back