Word to the Badd!

But at the time they weren't selling records. If they were, there wouldn't have been a show in the 1st place. You didn't see Led Zepplin, the Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Wonder, or Pink Floyd doing a variety show. It was acts like the Jacksons, Donny & Marie, Cher, Captain & Tennille, Andy Williams, etc. The Jackson family was performing in Vegas, which at the time was a place for acts whose shelf life had expired like Englebert Humperdinck, Wayne Newton, Liberace, & Elvis Presley. Acts whose popularity in selling records had floundered. Dancing & performing doesn't sell records (at least not during that time). Also the show didn't last long because of poor ratings (and there were a bunch of these type of shows by other acts, which cancel each other out). This show was Joe's idea to get exposure. Michael didn't want to do it. So behind the scenes help is more important than talent. A good manager works for the artist, not the other way around. Since Joe is their father, they kinda had to do to what he said. The family was working for Joe. A manager doesn't go home and whip them for refusing to do something.

You seem to be a bit fixated to record sales. I was only mentioning the Variety because even in a poor show like that (everybody agrees it was a poor show and bad for the image of the Jacksons, that is not the point) Michael's incredible talent shone through like Jermaine's never in his life. That's not to say Jermaine had no talent, but it was nowhere near to the talent of Michael, I think that is pretty obvious no matter how you spin it.

But whatever family problems there may be, the world doesn't have to know it.
Janet put out a song called "You Need Me", which was about Joe. Madonna put out a song about Sean Penn called "Till Death Does Us Part". John Lennon released a song "How Do You Sleep" about Paul McCartney. Some people make songs about themselves or others around them.

You seem to be a bit fixated to record sales. I was only mentioning the Variety because even in a poor show like that (everybody agrees it was a poor show and bad for the image of the Jacksons, that is not the point) Michael's incredible talent shone through like Jermaine's never in his life. That's not to say Jermaine had no talent, but it was nowhere near to the talent of Michael, I think that is pretty obvious no matter how you spin it.
I never said anything about who has the most talent, but that talent in itself has nothing to do with popularity. You can be popular with no talent or vice versa depending on who's working around you.

I don't think it's that Jermaine has less talent on a musical scale per se.
our discussion has evolved into something quite different. this was originally in reference to michael, that's what we were discussing. not management, i thought

Jackie being popular with the public has nothing to do with Elvis seeing him. Elvis has said many times that he used to see Jackie when he was a lead singer with the group Billy Ward & the Dominoes. This was before Elvis hit it big.

Frank Sinatra was popular and he didn't "perform" either.

True enough but Elvis didn't see them until a Las Vegas visit in November 1956. He was already at the height of his fame. Hound Dog, Love Me Tender, Don't Be Cruel, Heartbreak Hotel, Mystery Train, Baby, Lets Play House, That's All Right, Blue Suede Shoes, I Want You, I Need You, I Love You, were all out. His first two number one LP's were out he already had done Sullivan. Elvis was the first to admit he thought Jackie's cover of Don't Be Cruel was better then his once he saw that month.
Return To Sender was done in Jackie's style but that was 1962 and Jackie knew about it and encouraged Elvis.

Last edited:
This was actually on his 'You Said You Said' (I think that was the album title!) album in 1990.

Depsite the scathing lyrics, I think it's Jermain'es best solo song!!

His best song? A hate song to your brother? Sad. very sad.

I don't think it's a hate-song. It seems to me that Jermaine felt let down by Michael, maybe because Michael had the chance to do it on his own, successfully, and leave the family-chains behind in a way, which was absolutely right of him to do, because everybody has to live his own life.

Of course I don't find it nice to put that down in words and publish it, like Jermaine did, when everyone knows, about who the song is, because people should be able to discuss such things private, but I think by now Jermaine probably regrets his own words because he's older now and might see things from a different point of view and without being selfish.

I recently heard about this song and it made me change the way I thought of Jermaine. I also read Jackson Family Values by his ex wife and he seems like a very mean person.

I recently heard about this song and it made me change the way I thought of Jermaine. I also read Jackson Family Values by his ex wife and he seems like a very mean person.

Does that book portray Michael in a flattering light?

Back