Would you buy an MJ Vinyl Collection Magazine?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9375
  • Start date
Re: Motown

I've never heard of any J5 albums being released as mono. Maybe they were, but I don't think that many people were still buying mono records in the 1970s. A few of their early 45s had a mono mix though. I think these versions can be found on one of those Complete Motown Singles box sets. These sets are by year and has all acts, not just Jackson 5. I think the sets go all the way up to the early 1970s.
No, dont think any J5 were done in mono - sorry I was talking mainly about the earlier Motown stuff. Should have clarified

A few years ago I made a mix cd of various J5 tracks for my car which only had one speaker working at the time. For a lot of the tracks you could only hear half the song lol, in some I couldn't hear backing vocals or drums or guitars or Jermaine vocals. The cd that I took the tracks from must have been a mono mix. I think it was from one of those J5 3 albums in 1 box.

No, don't think any J5 were done in mono - sorry I was talking mainly about the earlier Motown stuff. Should have clarified
I found out about the mono singles, because there's a poster on Youtube called Slayd. I'm not sure if these were commercially released or only on promo singles for DJs and jukeboxes. Sometime promos have different mixes that can't be found anywhere else, especially when the 12" maxi singles came around during the disco era.

A few years ago I made a mix cd of various J5 tracks for my car which only had one speaker working at the time. For a lot of the tracks you could only hear half the song lol, in some I couldn't hear backing vocals or drums or guitars or Jermaine vocals. The cd that I took the tracks from must have been a mono mix. I think it was from one of those J5 3 albums in 1 box.
I worked in a bar with that problem, and there is nothing worse than hearing only half of a Beatles song, which were played quite often

I found out about the mono singles, because there's a poster on Youtube called Slayd. I'm not sure if these were commercially released or only on promo singles for DJs and jukeboxes. Sometime promos have different mixes that can't be found anywhere else, especially when the 12" maxi singles came around during the disco era.

Nice find, they sound great thanks for sharing

Here's a question for you two experts. Is it only the Motown albums that would benefit from mono versions? I'm guessing so since they were recorded in mono? What about the early Jacksons albums on Epic up until Destiny?

Here's a question for you two experts. Is it only the Motown albums that would benefit from mono versions? I'm guessing so since they were recorded in mono? What about the early Jacksons albums on Epic up until Destiny?
No, all stereo. Stereo came to power towards the end of the 60's. I always guage it with the Beatles White Album, so it was around this time. Before that all their albums were mixed in stereo without them, as the mono was the priority. 68 was when they first made the stereo the preference.

To be honest, I dont always prefer mono, but I know a lot of Motown stuff sounds amazing Mono. Just check out the Supremes Stop! in the name of Love and compare

I doubt any of the Epic albums has a mono version. It's probably rare for anyone to put out a mono album in 1976, especially a R&B group. There is an alternate mix of Different Kind Of Lady that is on the picture disc version of Goin' Places.

Thanks fellahs! I used to know a bit about Mono and Stereo a few years back but I have a brain like a siv!

So mono mixes would be ideal for the early stuff, but....good stereo mixes could also potentially be good? But let's say the early Motown stuff is Mono and the 70's/80's/90's/00's would be on stereo.

I was actually thinking that the series should come in 2 formats. The vinyl would be more premium, but not everyone has a turntable and some of the turntables out there, cheap ones like Crosleys and any suitcase type thing aimed at hipsters, have been proven to be cheap plastic rubbish and dangerous for your records. Even my turntable a decent TEAC will skip on 180gsm records and I need to put a nickel on it to keep it from doing this. Most of the others should be CDs, many magazines like Q and Mojo often attach give away CD's of music in cases, but for this type of thing, a cardboard sleeve should be enough.

Basically I only play singles on it and very rarely play any of my growing collection of Michael Jackson vinyl and Prince vinyl. There are dozens of videos on Youtube about the danger of cheap record players (Vinyl Eyez and 33RPM are good channels run by overly friendly level headed guys)

Also the vinyl fad is showing signs of slowing down, especially as Crosleys are no longer selling as they used to, and many do not have the high hundreds needed for a decent one.

I would suggest offering the series as CD's for 90% of the run and make it cheaper and then do Records for 10%. The beatles thing may be records as most of the buyers would be mostly White older and wealthier people with decent equipment. People buying a Jacksons series are likely to be younger and poorer. Also more likely to cover more ethnic groups than just white, and have CD players and/or digtal music facilities.

I have tried real hard to tone down my content of another artist, but I really feel the music of Prince and his proteges would make another great Eaglemoss/Hachette series. There would be 40 parts just for his albums (50 if you break down SOTT, Crystal Ball, Bsides and Emancipation disc by disc) and at least 15 more for protege albums by Sheila E, The Time, Jill Jones, Family, Vanity 6, Andy Allo etc. I see 60 parts there, but Prince's music has been bought by Universal and they are obsessed with gagging it and the media and take downs are too common with paranoid Prince.

I was actually thinking that the series should come in 2 formats. The vinyl would be more premium, but not everyone has a turntable and some of the turntables out there, cheap ones like Crosleys and any suitcase type thing aimed at hipsters, have been proven to be cheap plastic rubbish and dangerous for your records. Even my turntable a decent TEAC will skip on 180gsm records and I need to put a nickel on it to keep it from doing this. Most of the others should be CDs, many magazines like Q and Mojo often attach give away CD's of music in cases, but for this type of thing, a cardboard sleeve should be enough.

Basically I only play singles on it and very rarely play any of my growing collection of Michael Jackson vinyl and Prince vinyl. There are dozens of videos on Youtube about the danger of cheap record players (Vinyl Eyez and 33RPM are good channels run by overly friendly level headed guys)

Also the vinyl fad is showing signs of slowing down, especially as Crosleys are no longer selling as they used to, and many do not have the high hundreds needed for a decent one.

I would suggest offering the series as CD's for 90% of the run and make it cheaper and then do Records for 10%. The beatles thing may be records as most of the buyers would be mostly White older and wealthier people with decent equipment. People buying a Jacksons series are likely to be younger and poorer. Also more likely to cover more ethnic groups than just white, and have CD players and/or digtal music facilities.

I have tried real hard to tone down my content of another artist, but I really feel the music of Prince and his proteges would make another great Eaglemoss/Hachette series. There would be 40 parts just for his albums (50 if you break down SOTT, Crystal Ball, Bsides and Emancipation disc by disc) and at least 15 more for protege albums by Sheila E, The Time, Jill Jones, Family, Vanity 6, Andy Allo etc. I see 60 parts there, but Prince's music has been bought by Universal and they are obsessed with gagging it and the media and take downs are too common with paranoid Prince.
Any chance you know where to get the Black Album :eek: ?....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You're saying this latest vinyl fad is beginning to slow down. Could a complete Michael Jackson/J5/Jackson's series help re-energise it? In 82 vinyls were also in decline and Thriller put a spark back into the industry. Purple Rain did alright too!! Could a complete Michael Jackson AND Prince series help sustain this latest craze??

You actually make a good point about the Beatles, there are definitely a lot of wealthy white guys buying those but a lot of younger kids are collecting right now also. I get that Michael Jackson -also Prince- is a different cross racial market but that's actually a good thing I would hope. The Prince catalogue is mammoth and so much of it has eluded so many. His estate need to sort out the NPG material also and I would love to see Gold and Emancipation on vinyl format -also cd- in this type of magazine series.

Seeing Thriller, Purple Rain, Triumph, 1999, Bad, Around The World In A Day on display would be amazing. The Beatles are on to something good with this and MJ's commercial appeal could surely match it.

Great posts by the way. The Prince series could run for a decade! I hope his estate do some good things. I didn't but the latest Hits package as I have The Hits The B-sides.

RE Prince's Black album

It's a boot, but there was an official release of it in late 1994 by warner brothers. I bought this back then, but understand it is not on the Music streaming services and in the shops. So you need to go to bootleggers. I do not endorese or promote that and will not on the forum.

One of the tracks, When 2R in Love is on the album Lovesexy. Now back to the original question.

Releasing the albums in a magazine partwork series may work but it needs to be done ethically and well. Plus it will be expensive, no one has said what the regular cost of that Beatles thing is. I can not see a magazine dispensing a vinyl album each issue costing less than $20 each time and being marketed to make a profit.

I read one article in the financial times - https://www.ft.com/content/159657ca-7c84-11da-936a-0000779e2340 - Says a partwork needs to get to Part 9 or 10 before it breaks even, so I guess the MJ one may have to really push the big albums first rather than forgettable ones like Skywriter.

Another protesting about the scam http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...strike-900-build-Star-Wars-spaceship-toy.html
I know its a dangerous tabloid, but MJ is not mentioned at all.

The recent Prince re-releases sound so so good. Parade is one of the best sounding things i own.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

So I watched these today and I'm gonna go for this set. Apparently Love and the Anthology series are quite expensive online -in the region of £100! If a Michael Jackson set was done like this it would also give us a chance to buy Blood On The Dance Floor and others that go for quite high prices. It would be great to get some of the more rare J5 stuff.

Nidge check this out when you get a chance. MJPrince, here's a bunch of white guys -not rich blokes- weighing up this Beatles partworks set.
[video=youtube;lwJxuKCIYUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwJxuKCIYUA[/video]

[video=youtube;LD5EJ-47xoA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5EJ-47xoA[/video]

[video=youtube;Eg6aAyk_uAQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg6aAyk_uAQ[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to see this happen if only to have a chance to own HIStory and BOTDF on vinyl. The vinyl versions of both albums are ridiculously expensive now, going into the hundreds or even thousands. Not sure if it's due to limited press runs or some other factor (would HIStory have the original lyrics for TDCAU? It appears to have only had one pressing, from when the album was first released).

If Michael's other stuff can be re-released with even better quality than the releases available now, I'd be down with that as well.

I would love to see this happen if only to have a chance to own HIStory and BOTDF on vinyl. The vinyl versions of both albums are ridiculously expensive now, going into the hundreds or even thousands. Not sure if it's due to limited press runs or some other factor (would HIStory have the original lyrics for TDCAU? It appears to have only had one pressing, from when the album was first released).

If Michael's other stuff can be re-released with even better quality than the releases available now, I'd be down with that as well.
Yup! Blood On The Dance Floor and HIStory are both ridiculously expensive I would imagine because HIStory was expensive to produce being a 3-disc vinyl set with the brilliant booklet being much bigger for the vinyl format and even the inner sleeves have a gold MJ logo pattern. The album seems to have been largely overlooked by the record label as a hits album; Possibly also that because Number Ones was more economical for them to produce and the big seller of the compilations. It's madness. If it was part of this Vinyl Collection Magazine then the only way that would be expectable would be with all the lyrics of TDCAU -of course they would find a way to balls it up by taking the version from the later cd pressings!

They probably only ever saw Blood On The Dance Floor as a promotional tool for the European leg of the HIStory tour as the remixes and singles were all to tap in to the European remix craze at the time. They probably saw 7 million albums sold as adequate for its purpose but a bit of a flop. Remix albums in general seem to be limited by their nature but BOTDF definitely deserves the remastered reissued vinyl treatment, I'm probably in the minority but I count it as an album, an EP at the least. A Vinyl Magazine Collection would make these all available again and would be very cool indeed.

Good post aazzaabb, I agree History and BODF were expensive to make and produce, after Dangerous it seems the money pit became bottomless for production. I remember even my first set of Dangerous CD's were gold coloured (The tapes I bought, were quite plain) and never knew about the vinyl. You say it was gold and 3 records - wow, my guess is 5 tracks a side, and 10 tracks a disc, with Disc 2 having the last 5 History Begins tracks on side one, and History Continues on Side 2. I would buy this thing if it ever came out - original or re release tied in with a part work.

Let us not forget the $10millions spent on the statues floated down the river for History and of course promotions of the albums on channels and I remember massive store posters cardboard cutouts and specially designed sales boxes. I even heard of some major stores getting MJ makeovers. I do not remember quite such a fuss over BODF, but there was one over Invincible, besides the story that $500,000 was spent on pumping nice cologne into the studios when MJ was recording, they released the CD's in 5 different cover albums and even Number Ones had a different MJ on each of 5 covers (My CD has Off the wall era Michael and DVD has Bad era MJ).

Even more bloated was the 2008 King of Pop series, in which each of about 30 countries, chose the tracks and collecting every country's format would be interesting (I only have NZ and Australia).

Good post aazzaabb, I agree History and BODF were expensive to make and produce, after Dangerous it seems the money pit became bottomless for production. I remember even my first set of Dangerous CD's were gold coloured (The tapes I bought, were quite plain) and never knew about the vinyl. You say it was gold and 3 records - wow, my guess is 5 tracks a side, and 10 tracks a disc, with Disc 2 having the last 5 History Begins tracks on side one, and History Continues on Side 2. I would buy this thing if it ever came out - original or re release tied in with a part work.

Let us not forget the $10millions spent on the statues floated down the river for History and of course promotions of the albums on channels and I remember massive store posters cardboard cutouts and specially designed sales boxes. I even heard of some major stores getting MJ makeovers. I do not remember quite such a fuss over BODF, but there was one over Invincible, besides the story that $500,000 was spent on pumping nice cologne into the studios when MJ was recording, they released the CD's in 5 different cover albums and even Number Ones had a different MJ on each of 5 covers (My CD has Off the wall era Michael and DVD has Bad era MJ).

Even more bloated was the 2008 King of Pop series, in which each of about 30 countries, chose the tracks and collecting every country's format would be interesting (I only have NZ and Australia).
The vinyl disc -HIStory- were black, the inner sleeves have the MJ logo -same one thats on the front album cover- in gold, in a pattern on those inner sleeves. You're right about the '5 tracks a side, and 10 tracks a disc, with Disc 2 having the last 5 History Begins tracks on side one, and History Continues on Side 2" Yes, the promotional campaign was massive on HIStory. I suppose from the record labals perspective MJ toured the album and also did a series of TV performances and also the interview with Lisa Marie. I can't remember the figure but apperantly Sony counted the remastering of the albums OTW/Thriller/Bad/Dangerous as part of the Invincible promotion, and reading the Making Michael those remasters cost millions to produce. The album itself ran way over budget; 30 million, and the Unbreakable short film would have cost in the reigion of 4 million, and knowing MJ it would have ran way over budget. And then no tour either.

Back