Xscape CD Meltdown!

SheilaMJFan4Ever

Proud Member
:bugeyed It's a given that the summers can get hot in the southern United States, but I NEVER expected it to melt one of my CDs! I have 2 copies of Xscape (deluxe); one for a keepsake and the other one for my car. Well, yesterday I pulled the car copy from the sun visor CD holder and it was burnt and warped! Mind you, my other CDs I have in the same visor didn't get warped nor did they get burnt. The question I have is are the discs used for official albums made less sturdy than the blank discs we buy (to make our own mixes)? The other CDs I have in my car were ones I made from my own playlists, then burned onto a Memorex blank disc. Those haven't melted or warped.

I ended up making a Memorex version of Xscape (deluxe) to replace the one that got damaged and it's playing just fine, plus it can take this Georgia heat like a BOSS. :punk:

20150727_232846_zpsd0qsdwzy.jpg

I wish you could send some heat to Sweden, it´s been a bad summer most of the time.
I have no idea about the discs,

MIST;4101292 said:
I wish you could send some heat to Sweden, it´s been a bad summer most of the time.
I have no idea about the discs,

I'd LOVE to send you this heat and the humidity, lol! I can't stand it; Summer is not my favorite season. :heat:

I especially don't like my Xscape disc being melted/warped... :angry:

I can believe it, if that disc is in the car and its 40 degrees celsius outside,it can be 80 degrees inside the car if the strong summer sun can affect it. Here in New Zealand, it is only 26 or 27 degrees hot in the summer, but the car is much hotter and things are sensitive to the touch if the sun has been shining in it for any length of time. I would say an exposed disc would melt over a period of hours.

Sorry to hear that, it is possible, because I remember in the late 80s, our stereo was moved into the conservatory and a Milli Vanilli vinyl single I left on the turntable with a clear perspex lid melted in one day I was at school. I was heart broken. Plus I remember in the 1990s, some rap CD's were on flimsier quality discs as it was believed such songs were novelties, that would only be listened to a few times, before they were forgotten about. I had a Warren G CD single that wore out after like 20 listens.

I know that the Georgia heat can be fierce, so I am sad, but hope you learned a lesson about keeping your music covered. I make sure that all my CD's and vinyl goes back in their cases when they are not being used. Sorry if it sounds like a lecture, but Michael Jackson music is just too precious to me to lose in that fashion.

:bugeyed It's a given that the summers can get hot in the southern United States, but I NEVER expected it to melt one of my CDs! I have 2 copies of Xscape (deluxe); one for a keepsake and the other one for my car. Well, yesterday I pulled the car copy from the sun visor CD holder and it was burnt and warped! Mind you, my other CDs I have in the same visor didn't get warped nor did they get burnt. The question I have is are the discs used for official albums made less sturdy than the blank discs we buy (to make our own mixes)? The other CDs I have in my car were ones I made from my own playlists, then burned onto a Memorex blank disc. Those haven't melted or warped.

I ended up making a Memorex version of Xscape (deluxe) to replace the one that got damaged and it's playing just fine, plus it can take this Georgia heat like a BOSS. :punk:

20150727_232846_zpsd0qsdwzy.jpg

:eek: Thanks for the warning.
I never gave it a thought about leaving the 2 or 3 CD's in my car over the visor while I'm at work or
shopping or whatever. But when I go in for the night, I always take them inside with me.
So from now on I wont be doing that any more while the weather is so hot.
I wonder if the affect is the same in winters extreme cold. Will the CD's crack? Lol! Idk.
I wont be doing that either!

I can believe it, if that disc is in the car and its 40 degrees celsius outside,it can be 80 degrees inside the car if the strong summer sun can affect it. Here in New Zealand, it is only 26 or 27 degrees hot in the summer, but the car is much hotter and things are sensitive to the touch if the sun has been shining in it for any length of time. I would say an exposed disc would melt over a period of hours.

Sorry to hear that, it is possible, because I remember in the late 80s, our stereo was moved into the conservatory and a Milli Vanilli vinyl single I left on the turntable with a clear perspex lid melted in one day I was at school. I was heart broken. Plus I remember in the 1990s, some rap CD's were on flimsier quality discs as it was believed such songs were novelties, that would only be listened to a few times, before they were forgotten about. I had a Warren G CD single that wore out after like 20 listens.

I know that the Georgia heat can be fierce, so I am sad, but hope you learned a lesson about keeping your music covered. I make sure that all my CD's and vinyl goes back in their cases when they are not being used. Sorry if it sounds like a lecture, but Michael Jackson music is just too precious to me to lose in that fashion.

:eek: Thanks for the warning.
I never gave it a thought about leaving the 2 or 3 CD's in my car over the visor while I'm at work or
shopping or whatever.
But when I go in for the night, I always take them inside with me.
So from now on I wont be doing that any more while the weather is so hot.
I wonder if the affect is the same in winters extreme cold. Will the CD's crack? Lol! Idk.
I wont be doing that either!

Mjprince, you're not lecturing me. :) I've replaced Mike's music numerous times throughout the decades and not due to weather-related damage. I've let people borrow my vinyl albums/cassette tapes/CDs and they never gave them back, ROFL! I lost track of how many times I've bought numerous copies of Mike's albums. Mike's on my Do Not Borrow list now. Nobody asked to borrow my copy of Xscape. They knew better! :crackingup:

Silouette, I didn't give it a second thought when I kept my CDs in the visor overnight and through every season. Up until my Xscape disc melted, I never had it happen before. It's also odd (to me) that the other 11 discs I have in the same holder weren't damaged. This is the sun visor holder I have (in black)...

cd%20sun%20visor%20holder_zpskigu3uou.jpg

Back