Xscape demos - different than the leaks?

Dorian

Smooth Criminal
Is there any difference between the Xscape demos and the leaks we have? In terms of quality I ask, since the mixes are pretty much the same.

Did we get confirmation from anywhere that there are newer mixes for the songs? Same can be asked about the Michael demos.

The 2002 leaked mix of "Escape" and 2010 leaked mix of "Blue Gangster" are not the same as the demos released on Xscape Deluxe.

Yeah. The leak of Xscape sounds more dynamic and seems to be actually mixed. The demo on Xscape is flat and compressed and doesn't sound all that great. It also has some changes in the mix which indicate it is indeed a different mix down than the leak version.

Blue Gangsta leak is either a later version of the song or remix prepared for the Michael album. Doesn't sound at all like the version on Xscape.

A Place With No Name leak is slightly longer and as far as I know is a later mix than the one presented on Xscape (if I recall correctly it was edited in 08? Someone correct me if I'm wrong), it is quite a low quality mp3 so doesn't sound great in that regard but does sound more dynamic to my ears than the version presented on Xscape.

Last edited:
Blue Gangsta leak is either a later version of the song or remix prepared for the Michael album. Doesn't sound at all like the version on Xscape.
The Blue Gangsta leak is from 2001 and was added extra mixing by Brad Buxer.
A Place With No Name leak is slightly longer and as far as I know is a later mix than the one presented on Xscape (if I recall correctly it was edited in 08? Someone correct me if I'm wrong), it is quite a low quality mp3 so doesn't sound great in that regard but does sound more dynamic to my ears than the version presented on Xscape.
It's not a different mix, it's just chopped up for whatever reason.

Michael Prince edited the leaked version in 08. He has said it in interviews before. He said he changed the drums slightly and looped the "naah naah naah". Michael apparently heard and approved the mix.

Last edited:
Michael Prince edited the leaked version in 08. He has said it in interviews before. He said he changed the drums slightly and looped the "naah naah naah". Michael apparently heard and approved the mix.
I had heard the opposite, thanks for correcting me. Good to hear that he worked on the song before he died, maybe he was gonna release it at some point in his life...

anyone know the story behind as to why Xscape was leaked in 2002? I remember finding it on YouTube around 2005 with a tribute to MJ video

anyone know the story behind as to why Xscape was leaked in 2002? I remember finding it on YouTube around 2005 with a tribute to MJ video
Studio engineer leaked it or something

So what we know now is that the Blue Gangsta leak is a newer version than the Xscape album, but not a final version.

APWNN is butchered.

Xscape is also an older mix than the leak.

such a shame as this im sure was a sure fire hit on the next album

I'm sure he figured that after Invincible's disappointing sales, MJ's feud with Sony and the baby dangling incident, another album probably wasn't gonna come out. MJ always took many years to release one album after Thriller, and given the public backlash against him after Invincible's underperformance, it would have taken even longer for the next album to come out. By that point, I don't think "Xscape" would have been likely to be a hit at all.

Maybe it could have been the bonus track on Number Ones instead of "One More Chance", but it would have doomed as a single due to the child abuse scandal.

Last edited:

So I've done a bit more research and I think that you were right and the version of APWNN on Xscape is likely the 08 version that Michael Prince worked on.

I think I got confused because I was reading info that was released before the song came out on Xscape vs after.

I assume that means that the leak is also the 08 version. As it sounds the same when it comes to the instrumental. The version on Xscape is either edited or is a slightly different mix from that time.

Last edited:
Too bad how 2003 turned out. MJ had some big plans during that time. Cavale would have been a hit on his next album that he planned to release. Just thinking about it, One more chance and Xscape are better than 70% av the stuff that ended up on Invincible imo

Back