Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

I just pre-ordered the deluxe version :)

Honestly I think I mainly just want the demos, the untouched stuff.

OMG! I haven't been able to use my computer for almost week. Had to get it fixed. My friend told me about this but wasn't sure and I am beyond thrilled. I am so glad it's happening.

I am not picky about which songs are on it because I didn't listen much to any leaked version and even if I did so what. It's important that the GENERAL PUBLIC hear the songs. We have to think just beyond us. I hope this gets better promotion all around. Michael deserves that.

MICHAEL JACKSON XCAPE TRACKLISTING :

1 - XCAPE/ESCAPE (2013-14 Mix)

2 - SHE WAS LOVIN' ME (2013-14 Mix)

3 - SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM (2013-14 Mix)

4 - A PLACE WITH NO NAME (2013-14 Mix)

5 - CHICAGO/CHICAGO 1945 (2013-14 Mix)

6 - LOVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD (2013-14 Mix)

7 - BLUE GANGSTA (2013-14 Mix)

8 - 12 O'CLOCK/DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE (2013-14 Mix)

9 - XCAPE/ESCAPE (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

10 - SHE WAS LOVIN' ME (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

11 - SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

12 - A PLACE WITH NO NAME (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

13 - CHICAGO/CHICAGO 1945 (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

14 - LOVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

15 - BLUE GANGSTA (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

16 - 12 O'CLOCK/DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

17 - BONUS TRACK : HOT FUN IN SUMMERTIME (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

^Source?

James Legendre, a guy who has listened the entire album today posted this on his Facebook page.

If that track listing is in fact true it makes sense having Xscape as the first track rather then Love Never Felt So Good. Interesting that Do You Know Where Your Children Are is the last song though..

I hope that what we listened in the teaser was the ending and the rest of the song is more powerful.

But then why would Joe Vogel say Chicago 1945 definitely wasn't on the official track list that he listened to in L.A. Reid's office? That doesn't make sense..

MICHAEL JACKSON XCAPE TRACKLISTING :

1 - XCAPE/ESCAPE (2013-14 Mix)

2 - SHE WAS LOVIN' ME (2013-14 Mix)

3 - SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM (2013-14 Mix)

4 - A PLACE WITH NO NAME (2013-14 Mix)

5 - CHICAGO/CHICAGO 1945 (2013-14 Mix)

6 - LOVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD (2013-14 Mix)

7 - BLUE GANGSTA (2013-14 Mix)

8 - 12 O'CLOCK/DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE (2013-14 Mix)

9 - XCAPE/ESCAPE (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

10 - SHE WAS LOVIN' ME (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

11 - SLAVE TO THE RHYTHM (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

12 - A PLACE WITH NO NAME (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

13 - CHICAGO/CHICAGO 1945 (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

14 - LOVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

15 - BLUE GANGSTA (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

16 - 12 O'CLOCK/DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

17 - BONUS TRACK : HOT FUN IN SUMMERTIME (MICHAEL JACKSON ORIGINAL MIX)

Probably fake, because HOT FUN IN SUMMERTIME won't be original mix but 2014 mix with Mary J. Blige.

If Xscape is the first single do you think they will play it on the radio stations with the current songs out there? Last time I heard Hold My Hand on a station that people don't listen to much. I think radio play is important. it would be nice though to hear it with what is out there now.

So - no new Xscape song at 9 am anyway? - He will just play the leaked version? :(

I had hoped to hear the new version very much. - But anyway, I will be able to real soon!! :)

I don't believe Chicago is Chicago 1945. Chicago 1945 is a demo that was recorded before Al Capone I imagine it's not in such a great shape. To be honest I'm not a big fan of Al Capone and I am amazed Smooth Criminal somehow evolve from this demo. Not that it's that bad, but SC is GENIUS. I don't see a point of releasing another early version of this song. Joe Vogel says the song that's called Chicago now was recorded with Cory Rooney in 1999 and the other song is mid-tempo from the 80's (so it can't be She Was Lovin Me). It just doesn't make much sense to have Chicago 1945 on the album and there's no way it sounds that "nowadays" like Timbaland stated.

I don't believe Chicago is Chicago 1945. Chicago 1945 is a demo that was recorded before Al Capone I imagine it's not in such a great shape. To be honest I'm not a big fan of Al Capone and I am amazed Smooth Criminal somehow evolve from this demo. Not that it's that bad, but SC is GENIUS. I don't see a point of releasing another early version of this song. Joe Vogel says the song that's called Chicago now was recorded with Cory Rooney in 1999 and the other song is mid-tempo from the 80's (so it can't be She Was Lovin Me). It just doesn't make much sense to have Chicago 1945 on the album and there's no way it sounds that "nowadays" like Timbaland stated.
We don't know what Chicago 1945 exactly is. Maybe it's a too different song than Al Capone & Smooth Criminal, which had just inspired MJ to write Al Capone. I'm just thinking of the different versions of Streetwalker that's been developed to the final Dangerous version.

Chicago 1945 is NOT a Demo of Al Capone! They are completely different songs. He just used the same theme from Chicago 1945 to create Al Capone and then Smooth Criminal.

Like Do You Know Where Your Children Are & Hollywood Tonight - same theme, different songs.

Or Thriller - Is It Scary - Threatened

I personally like Al Capone :wub: it's a good song, but not as good as Smooth Criminal. Smooth Criminal is brilliant, but it's interesting to hear Al Capone and how MJ turned it into a smasher like Smooth Criminal. But yeah I always thought that Chicago 1945 was one of the Smooth Criminal demos, and that Chicago 1945 may have evolved to Al Capone = Smooth Criminal. I'm just speculation here but the 1945 in the title is the era of Al Capone and maybe that's what MJ was going for, hence then the genius of Smooth Criminal. So like you said Chicago 1945 could just be the first rough demo of Al Capone.

Chicago 1945 is NOT a Demo of Al Capone! They are completely different songs. He just used the same theme from Chicago 1945 to create Al Capone and then Smooth Criminal.

Like Do You Know Where Your Children Are & Hollywood Tonight - same theme, different songs.

Or Thriller - Is It Scary - Threatened

Why do people refer to it as an early version of Smooth Criminal all the time? I wouldn't consider DYKWYCA as an early version of HT or anything... I guess I got confused but I've read it's not in such a great shape and that it's an earlier version of AC or SC.

But again - "Chicago" is obviously not "Chicago 1945". The first is a love themed song and the latter is more mafia and crime song (safe to say?). I can't see Vogel being THAT wrong. Plus I think it's more likely a song from Invincible sessions would sound current than a song from the 80's...

InvincibleTal;3978457 said:
Why do people refer to it as an early version of Smooth Criminal all the time? I wouldn't consider DYKWYCA as an early version of HT or anything... I guess I got confused but I've read it's not in such a great shape and that it's an earlier version of AC or SC.

But again - "Chicago" is obviously not "Chicago 1945". The first is a love themed song and the latter is more mafia and crime song (safe to say?). I can't see Vogel being THAT wrong. Plus I think it's more likely a song from Invincible sessions would sound current than a song from the 80's...

“(Chicago 1945) spoke about an era in time, about what was happening at that time in Chicago that year. It was almost as if you were reading the newspapers at that time,” adding that the track: “was a song that Michael used as the idea for ‘Al Capone’, and ‘Al Capone’ was the idea for ‘Smooth Criminal’. So maybe there were some similarities, but this is a different song.”

Chicago is Chicago 1945 according to Richard Lecocq.
Chicago is She Was Loving Me 2014 mix according to Joe Vogel.

I think they need more then anything to release a single ASAP. I'd say release the tracklisting monday and announce the first single. The next day release the single. (I would choose Xscape).

Just because MJ's songs share the same theme doesn't necessarily mean one is an earlier version, unless MJ has said otherwise. MJ could have just wanted to write a song about similar topics.

Unless Chicago 1945 is a mid-tempo love song, it's not on the album. Again, here's how the mystery 8th track has been described by those who've actually heard it:

"... another Off the Wallesque, mid-paced love song with a youthful, almost naive-sounding vocal." - The Guardian

"... a flowing '80s-tinged serenade with orchestral bursts and choral harmonies." - Lewis Corner

"... it's mid-tempo from the 1980s and not a song that people have heard." - Joe Vogel

Joe Vogel in particular knows the identity of the song, and if you read his tweets, he pretty much says in a roundabout way that it's not Chicago 1945.

Edit:

Whoops, I missed Vogel's latest tweets. He now flat out states that Chicago 1945 is not on the track list:

"Not sure why the confusion. I heard the songs in L.A. Reid's office. Chicago 1945 is not on this album. The song MJ worked on with Cory Rooney that Timbaland referred to as Chicago a while back is on the album. And it sounds great."

Last edited:

There's proper confirmation. I'm not entirely sure who to believe but Joe Vogel seems positive about this.

But pretty much most of the reviews say they are 2 separate songs. I'm going with Richard over Vogel.

Last edited:

But pretty much most of the reviews say they are 2 separate songs. I'm going with Richard over Vogel.

Think again; there is one review that explicitly names both Chicago and She Was Loving Me. Every other review lists either the latter or doesn't list any song titles at all.

1ivir.png

This was first published in Instagram:

077f5b16ba0411e3862512c92702c3a6_8.jpg

Chicago, chicago1945 and she was loving me are different songs and chicago 1945 is not on this album.
simple:)

Why doesn't Sony put the snippets on iTunes to listen to them already?

tumblr_mao9o1T73g1qijus8o1_400_5031051_lrg.jpg

Because the album was just announced four days ago. No artist, living or dead, ever releases album snippets this soon. We will not be hearing extracts from the album until a week or two before it's released. Even when the track listing is announced, they won't release any extracts because it's simply to soon to do so. I know we're all excited for this album, but we need to sit back and be patient. Picking at everything is only going to irritate you more and make the wait seem longer.

the more i look at the album artwork the more i dislike it. black mop over his head and then a comfy cone covering part of his face. :eek:hno: i'm sorry i hate it.

the more i look at the album artwork the more i dislike it. black mop over his head and then a comfy cone covering part of his face. :eek:hno: i'm sorry i hate it.

tumblr_inline_n0rsaiwfBb1qbnzov_zpse37e1872.gif

Back