XScape media reviews

ivy

Proud Member
Reviews of Xscape album from the media

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/apr/01/first-listen-michael-jackson-xscape

First listen: Michael Jackson's Xscape

When Michael Jackson released his 1995 double album, HIStory, he promoted it by sailing a 10-metre tall statue of himself through London, down the Thames. The statement was clear: Michael Jackson was back and as brilliantly OTT as ever. Fast forward 19 years and Michael Jackson is, well, dead, and the record industry doesn't have the money to spunk on big floating effigies anymore. But there's still an air of wonder and mystery about a "new" Michael Jackson album, despite 2011's first posthumous release, Michael, being an unmitigated disaster. Unfortunately, pop music in 2014 doesn't wait for massive proclamations and grand gestures; news leaks on Twitter before you can say "major label cash in".

Last week a number of journalists received an email inviting them to a playback for a mysterious new album. The only information included was the location – a ridiculously swanky hotel in Knightsbridge – the time (6pm) and the words "The Best You've Never Heard". That was it. Writers then had to ring the PR to find out who it was, with no confirmation taking place via email in case someone decided to hack in and leak it all on Twitter. Which, unfortunately, is sort of what happened, when Epic – Jackson's label – decided to announce news of a new Jackson album early, with dribs and drabs of information starting to emerge on Twitter, before a full press release was sent out yesterday lunchtime. Hardly pushing a massive barge down a river, but what can you do in straitened times?

So what do we know? We know the album is called Xscape, named after a Rodney Jerkins-produced song recorded during the sessions for Jackson's last proper album, Invincible, and now reworked by Jerkins for the new album. We know the lead producer on the album, brought in by Epic Records CEO LA Reid to "contemporise" songs from Jackson's vast song archive, is Timbaland and that other producers involved include Stargate, Jerome "J-Roc" Harmon and John McClain.

What we still can't tell you are any of the song titles, with the journalists gathered in the hotel's white 80s sci-fi nightclub nightmare of a function room told the song titles won't be shared and can't be mentioned because they're still being finalised (if I could hazard a guess I'd say they're keeping the song titles back because a lot of the songs have leaked already and it's not as exciting to hear the words "eight new Michael Jackson songs" if you can easily find demos for them online). All phones have to be handed in on the door, while this poor frontline journalist had to fight it out with two security guards to be able to carry in a bag containing a laptop I didn't really want dumped at the back of a cupboard (in the end I had to take the laptop out of the bag to show that it wasn't rigged with some sort of special recording device.)

Once inside the chatting throng are greeted by pictures of Jackson on the wall, as well as the "teaser" poster that was included in the invitation, alongside one that reads "Hearing Is Believing" (apparently these posters have already started appearing around London to help generate intrigue). After opening the whole event somewhat crassly with an advert for a new Sony mobile phone – which will be pre-loaded with the album – the MD of Sony UK tells us that in order to show off the mobile phone's excellent sound quality the album will be played through a phone over the speakers. Given that we've all just had our own phones taken off us, everyone assumes he's joking, but he's not; the first ever play anywhere in the world of a Timbaland-curated Michael Jackson album takes place through a mobile phone. Unfortunately it sounds like it as well – with nearly all of the songs lost amidst reverberating bass and too-high drum claps.

Despite the failing sound there's enough on show to categorically say, without question, that Xscape is leagues ahead of Michael, an album marred not only by the appearance of Akon but by accusations that some of the songs featured a Michael Jackson impersonator. Opening with a burst of disco-tinged soul, it's an album that seems to focus on songs from pre-90s Jackson, with the first song a light and airy take on the effortless Off the Wall era. With a youthful-sounding Jackson skipping in-between expensive-sounding production, it's reminiscent, somewhat ironically, of Justin Timberlake, especially his The 20/20 Experience double album. In fact, a lot of the Timbaland productions slip neatly into either Timberlake's FutureSex/LoveSounds-era – all squelchy beats, big drum claps and lashings of synth strings – or the more opulent sound of The 20/20 Experience. The second song – possibly called Chicago and cited by Timbaland as a future single – falls into the former camp, with Jackson utilising a harder vocal delivery that's encased in a big industrial melange of jackhammer beats.

While the album's stated purpose of making Jackson sound contemporary is followed to the letter, there are times when the production overwhelms songs that are perhaps not sturdy enough to support the added superstructure. The third song played is another Off the Wallesque, mid-paced love song with a youthful, almost naive-sounding vocal. It feels very much like a song that didn't make it on to an old album, and while the production is good – there's an amazing rolling beat throughout – it still feels slight. And when one of the songs directly recalls the bassline from The Way You Make Me Feel it seems like a step too far; a reminder again that these were songs that Jackson, ever the perfectionist, didn't finish for good reason.

Thankfully five songs in there's a proper, undeniably amazing hit in the shape of what may or may not finally be called Do You Know Where Your Children Are (the original incarnation of the song leaked in 2012). Opening with a delicate flurry of cascading 80s synths, it feels like the perfect embodiment of the old and the new, with some vintage “hee hee” ad-libs peppering the sophisticated mesh of electronics. It also features a typical Jackson pre-chorus section that then opens out into the album's best chorus, before a great false stop moment heralds an even more bonkers final third, with Jackson hee-heeing and ow-ing his head off.

The sixth song, Slave to the Rhythm, first appeared last summer, when a high quality version leaked as a duet with Justin Bieber (and again in snippet form on a mobile phone advert). Thankfully, Bieber is missing from the final version, which Timbaland has used to show off all his production touches – lashings of beatboxing in the intro, loads of vocal tics throughout, big spidery bassline and, as with some of his other songs on Xscape, barely any space for the song to breathe. Thankfully Slave to the Rhythm – thought to have been recorded initially for Dangerous in 1991 and then left off Invincible at the last minute – is strong enough to fight its way through the clutter. From there we get perhaps the album's only true lowpoint in a number that feels like about three different songs fighting for attention, before finishing with Jerkins' Xscape, the only song that sounds like a bit of a struggle vocally, with Jackson's various vocal tics becoming a bit of a hindrance rather than something more carefree. It also feeds on the paranoia Jackson brought into his music after the child abuse allegations of the mid-90s with lines like “I won't hide away” and “I can't do what I want to do” snarled rather than sung. But again, the production is sprightly, with synth strings and horn samples popping up unannounced and a bit towards the end where the various layers fall away to leave some brilliant ad-libs and the final word, “escape”.

Xscape feels like an album created to showcase a handful of Jackson songs that on the whole deserve to be heard. You get the immediate sense that a lot of time (and money) has been spent on these songs and that care's been taken to show the songs off in the best light possible. While some of them are very obviously album tracks at best, there are flashes of genius that haven't been diluted or watered down. In fact, Xscape manages to bring most of them to life.[/QUOTE]

From all the previews I have read so far DYKWYCA sounds amazing. Also they call more than one songs Off The Wall-esque. I guess that's a good thing in today's music climate and trends (Pharell, Timberlake, Daft Punk etc.).

>>>>>Michael Jackson - XSCAPE Album Press Review (Sky News)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMsMmFXFrIk

Sky News Arts and Entertainment Correspondent Richard Suchet was invited to hear the first play of the album anywhere in the world.

He said: "These eight tracks seem to post-date Michael Jackson - they sound more like modern day remixes.

"These recordings had been kept back for a reason. They're not as good as the stuff we already have, but they're a wonderful reminder of Michael Jackson's incredible voice and unique talent.

"Demos and sketches of some of these songs have been doing the rounds on the internet for years, but the versions on Xscape are polished and have a modern twist."

Suchet said as many as 200 recorded or partly-recorded songs by Jackson are thought to exist and could surface in the coming years.

In a statement, executive producer LA Reid said: "Michael left behind some musical performances that we take great pride in presenting through the vision of music producers that he either worked directly with or expressed strong desire to work with.

"We are extremely proud and honoured to present this music to the world."

Additional work on the album was carried out by Rodney Jerkins, Stargate, Jerome "Jroc" Harmon and John McClain.

The title track was written by Jackson and Jerkins.

>>>Michael Jackson’s 'new' album Xscape gets its first hearing
http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/...um-xscape-gets-its-first-hearing-9227726.html

IS THE NEW MICHAEL JACKSON ALBUM ANY GOOD?

http://www.mixmag.net/words/reviews/tunes/is-the-new-michael-jackson-album-any-good

Full article:
Last night, in the basement of a swanky West London an excitable Sony big-wig and, for some reason, Trevor Nelson presented the first album playback of the new Michael Jackson album.

Tight security measures meant everyone in the room, including Mixmag, had their phones confiscated to prevent the album leaking before its mid May release. "We're so sorry, we know it massively takes the piss" gushed the Sony fat-cat.

So what was all the fuss about? Xscape is Jackson’s second posthumous album following the 2010 album, Michael. You’ll be forgiven for not remembering that one; it had Akon and 50-Cent on for crying out loud.

So what makes Xscape different is the way it’s been put together. CEO of Epic Records and ex Def Jam and American X Factor judge, LA Reid, assembled a A-list team of producers including lead producer Timbaland, alongside Rodney Jerkins, Stargate, Jerome 'J-Roc' Harmon and John McClainto. All had worked with Michael in previous years and importantly none of them were Will.i.am.

The eight tracks on the album have been put together using unused vocals, unreleased records and tracks that just missed out inclusion on previous Jackson's albums. The source material dates back 40 years!

The word ‘contemporise’ was being used a lot before the playback which had us worried. Would this holy shroud-esque source material be ravaged by Black Eye Pea style pitch shifts or garish bro-step drops? Admittedly one track started with a vocoder but this was only for the intro. From the off-set the album had sharp beats and clear vocals – something even big fans would admit Michael’s latter albums lacked.

Despite this broad range of unreleased content, Xscape doesn’t feel like a bunch of off-shoots or a scrapbook of the discarded; the production team have managed to gell the collection of tunes in such a way that this feels like a flowing album of funky, disco-pop and modern day r ‘n’ b.

Some of the tracks felt familiar – one track has a very similar bassline to ‘Leave Me Alone’, another had a ‘la la la’ chorus not unlikeAmerica’s ‘Horse With No Name’ and penultimate track ‘Gangster’ had Jackson’s trademark voiced beats and harmonies, a la ‘Beat It’.

Xscape, then, feels more like a collection of B-sides from Off The Wall than a follow up to Invincible. Despite being very short, this latest release from the Jackson estate does a much more sympathetic job of recreating and reminding the world of the pop icon’s passion for making your feet tap and your head nod. Consider this a collection of undiscovered gems presented in a way that fans from all generations will appreciate.

Xscape can be pre-ordered now but will be released on Epic on May 13.

Michael Jackson's new album Xscape: How good is it?

It's the news fans have been expecting for a while now - Michael Jackson has a 'new' album of previously unheard material coming out in May.

Naturally, posthumous albums completely divide opinion. One side doesn't want to resign themselves to the fact they will never hear anything new from their idol ever again, while the other argues their loyalty to protecting the legacy left behind. Considering the tepid response to MJ's first posthumous release Michael, we can see why the latter may ring truer when it comes to forthcoming album Xscape.

Truth is, while Jackson's estate may be scraping the barrel to stitch together yet another money-spinning collection, we have to remember that it's a pretty astonishing barrel to be scraping. After listening to Xscape for the first time, you're left with the sense that only the very best of what Jackson has left behind has been "contemporised", and nothing more.

The first track bursts with flourishing strings, before layering on '80s disco beats and crisp finger clicks. "The night is going to be just fine," Michael assures us - and while the standard could never reach his pop peak, the groove of the track is soaked in nostalgia. We should probably note at this point that we don't know any titles for the tracks yet, because they haven't been finalised.

Jackson practically gave birth to the genre 'dirty-pop', and track two throws back to that period when you wouldn't see him on stage without bolshy bass and hip-pop beats. "She lied to you/ She lied to me," he proclaims in his trademark growl, while the following cut is a flowing '80s-tinged serenade with orchestral bursts and choral harmonies. While we've been told that a range of producers such as Timbaland, Darkchild, Stargate and Jroc have "contemporised" the original demos, it's clear that they've also paid homage to the sound that turned MJ into a cultural icon.

Most of Xscape nods back to the height of Jackson's pop appeal. We haven't been told when each of the tracks originated from, but their final form echoes MJ's holy trinity of albums Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad. The fifth song we were played opens with computerized synths as the star's iconic ad libs of "hee-hee" and "aaaow" smack you with excitement. Echoed snare beats and a storming rawk guitar solo make it one of the stand-out tracks, even if the chorus does hear him dubiously ask: "Do you know where your children are?"

Track number six - which we identified as 'Slave to the Rhythm' - begins with a massive string-led swoosh of scenic proportions, before it completely drops into glitchy electronics and rattling beats. Its shuffling groove marks it as classic MJ, making it yet another highlight. Even better, Justin Bieber doesn't feature on the track after that worrying leak of an alternative version back in 2013.

Quincy Jones may not have had a hand in the project, but the cinematic quality to the songs demonstrates that the school of producers who made contributions to this record have obviously been influenced by his techniques. Song number seven - which might be called 'Blue Gangsta' - opens with Bond Theme-styled strings and tinned beats, before hearing Michael complain: "Look what you've done to me/ I can no longer smile." Xscape's overarching narrative is what we've always loved about Jackson; the superstar who is unlucky in love, but never doubts its power.

The posthumous collection concludes with title track 'Xscape', which we know was originally written by Jackson and Rodney Jerkins during the Invincible sessions. It's the only track which has been re-worked by its original producer, and hears turn-of-the-millennium Jackson snarl over a mix of '70s disco and '90s R&B. Its potential for some other-worldly choreography is palpable, which provokes a sad tinge of what could've been.

So, is Xcsape any good? There's been a concerted effort to recapture Jackson during his imperial phase in the '80s; the music god who effortlessly rolled soul, R&B, electronica, rock and pop into soundscapes of brilliance. No, it's not as good as Michael at his very best, but then again, it never was going to be.

That said, it's a considered and worthy collection of reworked gems that remind you of just how important Michael Jackson was - and let's face it, not many other artists can release their cutting room floor cast-offs and it can still sound this good.

Michael Jackson's new album Xscape will be released worldwide on May 13. Sony Mobile customers of select new devices, including Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 tablet and Xperia M2, will be able to download the new album for free on day of digital release through the Xperia Lounge app.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/f...good-is-it.html#~oAbe01vjbbu0QD#ixzz2xdNFXHnF

Opinions from the listening party from UK website Pop Justice:

wow. I went feeling very sceptical, as I always am about posthumous albums but bloody hell I was surprised.

It's the album that Michael would've released in 2014 if he was still around. Some brilliant tracks and standout tracks were:
Xscape
Slave
Do You Know Where Your Children Are
Place With No Name - samples Way You Make Me Feel
but all eight tracks were great…

I was going to write almost the exact same post - it's a very strong album and much better than a posthumous release gets to be. You can definitely hear the Timbaland influences in some of the tracks, but they've definitely done a good job of retaining the authentic feel while making it modern. Some similarities to the 20/20 Experience and Bruno Mars, etc,. but then you remember quickly that these songs are what inspired those albums and not vice versa.

Do You Know... is one of the strongest choruses on the album, and Xscape feels very fresh. Slave To The Rhythm is a huge tune, but could have used a bit more oomph - some upcoming remixes should take care of that.

Impressed and pleasantly surprised!

Two other tracks were Blue Gangster and Loving You… both were great. Some people said the tracks sounded similar to each other at times but I would call it cohesiveness rather than repetitive. There is only 8 tracks - but you knew that already, right?
Shame they're not just dropping it on iTunes tomorrow, it would get a lot of press especially with it being April Fools Day. Perhaps they know how good it is and are expecting rave reviews.

There was an air of surprise at the quality but I think that's because of the previous album and also the fact people like Timbaland were involved who can be quite hit and miss.
I am not a Bruno Mars fan AT ALL but I could easily imagine him releasing some of these tracks and having huge success, just a shame Michael's unlikely to get much airplay.

I imagine these tracks will be brand new to the wider public though. The production and overall sound is so different to the demos too.

Also was delighted that there doesn't seem to be many parts with 'extra vocals' from impersonators or session singers apart from one or two small parts.
Always thought if they needed extra vocals they should've got a sister, brother or even 3T.

The first track on the album was Love Never Felt So Good, very breezy production.
I agree that there was definitely surprise in the room at the quality of the songs, and the enthusiasm went crescendo after the first couple songs - the latter half of the album seemed more modern and punchy. Couldn't single out a bad track, but I would say track 2 (forgot the name) and maybe 3 were the weaker ones.

No tracklist coming for a little while either! But I'm sure it will be all but clear from the inevitable blog reviews over the coming week. Slave to the Rhythm sounds exactly like the snippet in that Xperia ad - wish it had a bit more of a kick to it as the backing track is pretty much constant the whole way through, but it's still a massive jam.

This album SHOULD sell by the bucketload but i'm not sure if it actually will, especially as only eight tracks.

I do agree it should sell very well, and seems the plan is really to go full blitz with the album across several platforms, so I think it has a decent chance of doing so.

Michael Jackson's Xscape: Lovingly restored material brings back the King Of Pop

Largely comprised of songs recorded in the 90s and early 2000s, Xscape is a more cohesive album in comparison to 2010 offering "Michael."

Eight previously unreleased songs have been (in the words of Executive Producer L.A Reid) 'contemporized' by the likes of Timbaland, Stargate and Rodney Jerkins. And whilst the fresh 2014 production enhances that trademark MJ vocal, it doesn't detract from the original song and the genius of Michael's songwriting vision.

As the album begins, you're immediately transported back to the Thriller era, thanks to an amazing 1983 disco groove called "Love Never Felt So Good".
With its soulful vocal, infectious baseline and orchestral strings, it's a song that screams 'Jackson classic' and it says a lot about influence when you consider that it wouldn't sound out of place on the latest Pharrell album.

I challenge anyone not to experience goosebumps after hearing "A Place With No Name" a song layered with lush harmonies believed to have been recorded in 1998 and a song that deserves to played by radio stations worldwide.

Potential single "Slave To The Rhythm" is a floor-filler for a new generation whilst 1999's RnB soaked "She Was Lovin' Me" (originally considered for the 2001 Invincible album) has echoes of "The Way You Make Me Feel."

Two other songs, "Chicago" and "Blue Gangster" will also remind you of previous Jackson offerings but both tracks benefit from newly enhanced production and remind us of the fact that Michael was keen to remain relevant to the emerging hip-hop generation.

But one of the outstanding cuts on the "Xscape" album is a song called "12 O'Clock" or "Do You Know Where Your Children Are" in which an emphatic Jackson discusses family values and child abuse over a pulsating bass line and guitar riff. Whilst I'm not convinced the new production has added anything to the original, it's still a song that will get everyone talking.

And as the album concludes with title track "Xscape" a sonic slice of noughties electro-pop, I'm left satisfied that Michael's legacy will endure thanks to a collection of carefully selected material, lovingly re-engineered for millions of fans and new fans alike. There's a reason he was called The King of Pop after all.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/michael-jacksons-xscape-lovingly-restored-3332961#.Uzr2fTXEas0.facebook

Man i just hope it's worth the wait, and not a rushed job messing with the Legend that is Michaels Music!!

R.I.P MJ - Always In Our Hearts!

Peace.

EBONY REVIEW

Leave Michael Jackson Alone
MICHAEL ARCENEAUX SAYS THE UPCOMING PROJECT 'FROM' THE LATE SINGER SOUNDS LIKE A RECIPE FOR LEGACY TARNISHING

In a combination of greed and not knowing when to leave well enough alone, Epic Records has announced that they will soon release a new Michael Jackson album entitled Xscape. You would think that a record label owned by Sony would know damn well to not release anything called Xscape that didn’t include Kandi, Tiny, LaTocha, and Tamika, but I guess they’re point of view is, “Screw it. Kandi ain’t trying to sing with Tamika ever again. Might as well give to MJ.” Fair enough, but do you really think a perfectionist like Michael Jackson would want people toying with the vocals he left by the wayside over the years?

The label sure thinks so per the announcement posted on Epic’s Web site. It appears that Epic CEO L.A. Reid “was granted unlimited access to the treasures spanning four decades of material on which Jackson had completed his vocals. Reid then teamed up top producers to ‘contemporize’ the songs while retaining Jackson’s essence and integrity, creating the best music you’ve never heard.”

The list of producers include Timbaland, Rodney Jerkins, Stargate and Michael Jackson estate executor, John McClain. Since the announcement, there’s been word that D’Angelo and Mary J. Blige will appear on the album. You can’t see me, but I’m rolling my eyes at the same speed of Naomi Campbell moved her hips in the “In The Closet” video.

I love Mary J. Blige like our cousins love dark meat and the new Popeye’s Pay Day special, but I just can’t see those two on the same track. Ditto for D’Angelo, who seems to be able to sing with the dead but refuses to give his fans a new damn album after a 100 years of, “Baby, wait on me. I’m coming. I promise.” Yeah, I’m bitter.

In any event, while I admit to being somewhat curious of how these songs will sound, do we not remember the ruckus that happened with that other posthumous Michael Jackson release? La Toya Jackson along with a few of her nephews all disputed with the label over the authenticity of the vocals featured on Michael.

Even so, no matter who is singing these unearthed songs, it’s pretty apparent why they were buried in the vault with the rest of MJ’s things (shiny gloves, monkey food and tuxedos, etc.): they are terrible. Like, Michael Jackson’s first three albums are the finest of meats while these “new” old tracks are along the lines of the mystery meat you order at the take out place you always question of being one food inspection away from permanent shut down. Do not treat the King of Pop like he’s Terence Trent D'Arby.

Michael, like many of his peers, went through an exhaustive recording process that yielded a lot of misses until he created the true gems. The released material was what Michael wanted us to hear. That ought to be respected.

See, “Remember The Time.” Wait, y’all got the urge to drop down and get your shamon on, huh? Fine, go on, get your dance on. This copy will be here when you get back.

Ready? Okay. As I was saying, Michael agonized over his work so I highly doubt he’s keen on the idea of a bunch of people he isn’t able to supervise and collaborate with taking his vocals and “contemperizing” them. That’s not to say he probably wouldn’t want to work with Future, Sage The Gemini, or Rihanna, if he were alive, but he ain’t. He’s dead and I know as I went to the funeral and prayed for Mariah Carey after her not fantastic performance (love you, MIMI!).

The problem with posthumous releases is that they don’t often honor the person we left behind -- you know, trying to “contemporize” them and all. It would be different if Quincy Jones was at least a part of this project, but as I’ve read on Al Gore’s Internet, the estate owes him money. This just seems like a bad idea is all.

I can’t help but think that somewhere, 2Pac is serving Michael Jackson KFC, Pepsi, and hair grease as he tries to explain to him just how bad his legacy is about to be screwed over thanks to his label’s plans for posthumous releases. Lord knows all 8000 of 2Pac’s post dead albums haven’t been hitting on nothing. Sure, they made money, but the fans are still singing “Dear Mama,” “I Get Around,” and “Rather Be Ya N***a” when it gets down to it.

In sum, this is stupid and y’all need to be spending these resources on rescuing Janet Jackson from obscurity. Buy her a new knee, some Pharrell and Detail beats, and get mama back on top of the charts. Michael would want that instead of y’all dropping duds he left in his audible trashcan.

Read more at EBONY http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-...leave-michael-jackson-alone-032#ixzz2xvAk3enf
Follow us: @EbonyMag on Twitter | EbonyMag on Facebook

It's weird that much of the normally ruthless and anti-MJ UK press have been pretty warm or downright positive towards this release, yet the publications you'd expect to support MJ aren't doing.

Also a lot of these reviewers/journos are assuming these songs went unreleased because MJ though they were subpar. It's not necessarily the case. Not with all the tracks.

It`s a stupid review from Ebnony. Fans should set comments on this article.

What a stupid article by Ebony. I did not expect it exactly from them. It's not even a review since the author obviously did not hear any of the songs. It's just a stupid rant based on the author's personal feelings and opinion about posthumus releases. Also how can he label the songs "terrible" when he did not even hear them? Like ChrisC said songs do not always get shelved because they are "terrible". Sometimes they get shelved because they do not fit a certain album or - like in the case of Do You Know Where Your Children Are - probably because of outside events. Were Earth Song and They Don't Care About Us terrible songs just because Michael shelved them for Dangerous?

People cannot talk for Michael when they state THEIR own opinions about posthumus releases. I think if Michael had felt so against it he would have put it in his Will not to release any of his unreleased songs posthumusly. But he didn't. Every artist feels differently about it. For example, Freddie Mercury said: "I don't care what they do with my songs when I die, just don't make me boring!" Who can tell what Michael's stance was? Fact is, he never stated in his Will or elsewhere not to release his unreleased songs.

Last edited:
geez there always has to be somebody with a negative attitude. whoever wrote that article from ebony. just sit down and shut up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...racks-vaults-brought-date-modern-artists.html

*****'s CD from beyond the grave isn't Bad at all: New Xscape album features eight tracks from the vaults brought up to date by modern artists

Were he alive today, Michael Jackson would probably be heartened by the state of pop.
He would certainly find plenty of familiar faces from his Eighties heyday, with George Michael’s latest album topping the charts and Prince and Kate Bush the hottest live tickets of the year.As an influence, too, the singer, who died in 2009, remains a towering figure, and the legacy of albums such as Off The Wall and Thriller is still evident in the lithe dance music of Daft Punk and Justin Timberlake.All of which makes the release next month of a ‘new’ album by the King Of Pop rather timely. The good news for fans is that Xscape, eight Jackson tunes culled from the vaults and ‘contemporised’ by leading dance producers, is a marked improvement on 2010’s dismal Michael.The making of Xscape — a record that continues the ***** tradition of single-word album titles — was overseen by Epic Records boss LA Reid, a judge on the American version of The X Factor and a respected musician in his own right. Granted access to four decades’ worth of unreleased songs, all with finished vocals, Reid enlisted a handful of co-producers, including hip-hop maestro Timbaland and R&B kingpin Rodney Jerkins, to work on the master tapes.
‘Michael left behind some performances that we take great pride in presenting through producers he either worked with or expressed a strong desire to work with,’ Reid says. ‘I’m usually a cynic when it comes to posthumous albums, but we’ve tried to stay true to everything that would have made Michael proud.’ Reid is as good as his word. If the Michael album was a mish-mash, Xscape is more coherent, and there are no doubts as to the singer’s lively presence.Jackson, whose distinctive vocals are positioned centrally in the overall studio mix, sounds as if he is actually enjoying himself.
He sings with soulful verve, and there are even a few of those ad-libbed yelps and squeals that could only have come from him. As for the material, two main strands are apparent. There are the numbers with the classic, retro feel of Off The Wall, complete with orchestrations. Then there are the tracks where Reid’s ‘contemporising’ comes more into play, with a harder- hitting, electronic backdrop.
With swish disco strings and youthful sounding vocals, two of the first three tracks fall into the former category, harking back to the Seventies and Eighties.Echoes of Jackson’s glory years abound elsewhere: one song adopts a groove similar to the immortal Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’; another track, A Place With No Name, combines glam-rock drums with a bassline reminiscent of the 1987 hit The Way You Make Me Feel. It also, bizarrely, closes with a vocal refrain lifted from soft-rock band America’s 1972 hit A Horse With No Name.Two of the more contemporary tracks will be familiar to hardened *****-watchers. The busy Slave To The Rhythm (not the Grace Jones song) was recorded in 1991 and earmarked for the Dangerous album. A cover version by Justin Bieber leaked onto the net last year. But, as with many of the funkier tracks here, the booming blend of synths and strings give the song a cluttered feel, suggesting the producers have sometimes gone too far in polishing their rough diamond.Much the same applies to the album’s title track, beefed up from a version recorded at the same time as 2001’s Invincible. Here, though, a whooping Jackson is in imperious form.When critics were invited to this week’s playback, the attendant email (which didn’t mention the singer by name) heralded these songs as ‘the best you’ve never heard’.That may be the case. Jackson had reportedly stockpiled more than 200 unfinished tracks before his death, but few are likely to possess the quality of these expertly updated period pieces.

"Were Michael alive today"..."If he were to release an album"... why do they keep remind us that he's gone. We know he is. So when he's not here the Estate will do its best of to get Michael recognized. They should just stop with "if Michael this or if Michael that" ultimately the money is going to Michael. Increasing his net worth while giving the public good music is the goal of the estate. So for the people, or fans that won't buy this album solely for the reason that the Estate might make more money... well thats the point. It's Michael's Estate and we do have the right to share opinions but at the end of the day, the Estate is gonna do whats best for Michael (I THINK).

As an administrator and sometime contributor to MJ Truth Now posts, I want to share my recent experience…a listening session for the much anticipated Sony/Estate album release, “Xscape.”

It was exciting to be invited to this event and to share it with other fans who traveled from Spain, Germany, Japan, UK and the Netherlands. I must say the surprise of the invite stopped me a bit cold…it wasn’t expected, but oh, so appreciated. We gathered in the studio where “We Are The World” was recorded and we immediately attempted to determine exactly where Michael stood during that historic recording. LA Reid was to be our guide through the music and he offered a few remarks beforehand. He spoke about meeting with Michael early in 2009 and about Michael’s desire to work with him on new music. He talked about his experiences with Michael as a father and it was very obvious how much affection and respect he feels for him. LA Reid really liked Michael and emphatically states that “he is innocent.”

He told us that his journey through the master recordings brought focus to his vision of cohesiveness for the album and his track choices reflect that. LA explained that he chose selections with the caveat that Michael sang the full song, with background, more than once….that it informed him that Michael had deep interest in the song and dedicated much time and energy to it. My impression was of a man excited and honored to be gifted with the opportunity to finally fulfill his own, and Michael’s, stated desire to create something new, special and exciting for the fans and the world.

We listened to the album twice and it was priceless to see everyone present dancing and loving the music. Michael’s voice is front and center throughout and the music compliments and supports that wonderful, unique, emotive voice. I have my favorites, as did everyone, and I can’t wait to hear them again. To be honest, I am not particularly fond of most remixes but these offerings have changed my mind. They are that good.

The next day we found ourselves at Sony in Los Angeles and our input was requested regarding the album, as well as, questions, comments and concerns. Fan desires are taken to heart, as well as, suggestions for promotion on a global scale. We were asked to pick one or two tracks that we particularly favored and our consensus matched the previously selected first single. I think anyone excited for this release will agree that this single is awesome and so very Michael.

The promotion planned will bring surprises and Sony is going all out on this part of the project. Sony President, Sylvia Rhone, was present, as well as, John Branca and Karen Langford. I will say that there is a solid commitment to do this right and we can expect world-wide promotion…big time!

I read a review recently that mentioned how this music holds the integrity and spirit of the original tracks as Michael left them. I found this to be most definitely the case and freely suggest the reader be prepared for an excursion into Michael’s music that is lovingly and respectfully presented by dedicated supporters of the man we all miss so much.

Enjoy!

http://mjtruthnow1.wordpress.com/2014/04/12/xscape-listening-session-los-angeles/

USA TODAY

First listen: Michael Jackson's posthumous 'Xscape'

It's easy, and probably healthy, to approach any new release of Michael Jackson music with some skepticism. Nearly five years after his death, the King of Pop remains both an indelible influence on contemporary artists and a source of the kind of prurient and morose fascination that is always as marketable, if not as memorable, as a great tune.

Luckily, the posthumous Xscape, out May 13, offers some reminders of why Jackson entered our collective consciousness to begin with. The eight tracks here showcase songs, culled from the late superstar's vault, originally recorded between 1983 and 1999, after Jackson's early creative peak as a recording artist (with his 1979 solo breakthrough Off the Wall and 1982's Thriller).

Still, executive producer L.A Reid and lead producer Timbaland — with support at the boards from other noted hitmakers such as Stargate, J-Roc and Rodney Jerkins — ensure that Jackson's enduring strengths as a singer are represented, layering in modern electronic textures without overwhelming the distinctly slinky, shivery vocals or overall structure of the tunes.

Love Never Felt So Good — written and initially produced by Jackson and Paul Anka, and co-produced here by John McClain, a co-executor of Jackson's estate, and Giorgio Tuinfort — has an old-school snap and tingle, with warm, leaping strings that recall the melodic and rhythmic punch of Jackson's work with Quincy Jones.

Loving You, crafted by Jackson during sessions for 1987's Bad and revisited here by Timbaland, is similarly blithe and nostalgic, with tinkling piano chords and tickling percussion set against the latter artist's trademark syncopation.

Other tracks are edgier and more aggressive, sonically and in their lyrics. For Jackson, love and anxiety were often inextricably entwined; Do You Know Where Your Children Are (also from the Bad era) documents a parent's nightmare with a thumping groove, while the chilly, Cory Rooney-penned Chicago finds its narrator vexed by a duplicitous woman.

On Slave to the Rhythm, an intriguing 1989 Reid/Babyface creation brought back by Timbaland and Jerome Harmon, it's the girl who suffers, as Jackson croons over a frantically chugging, swirling arrangement about a woman who tries to break the chains that bind her at home and work.

Slave is playful at first, opening with Jackson's trademark yelps and hiccups, but there is clear empathy in his portrait of a trapped person desperate to find "a beat of her own." It seems especially poignant here that for this star, escape, like Xscape, only came posthumously.

[video=youtube_share;N7_iLMq8REo]http://youtu.be/N7_iLMq8REo[/video]
http://youtu.be/N7_iLMq8REo

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...en-michael-jackson-posthumous-xscape/7553229/

The New Michael Jackson Song With Justin Timberlake Is Actually Good

By Aisha Harris

Fans are right to be skeptical of the latest posthumous album from Michael Jackson, Xscape, announced earlier this year: The last time producers were tasked with bringing out previously unheard and unfinished music from the King of Pop, the authenticity of the vocals were called into question and the music itself was subpar. Considering Jackson’s well-documented quest for perfection, Michael felt like an affront to his legacy, a shoddy attempt to take money from fans and build on his massive estate.

But with the release of the first new song on the album, “Love Never Felt So Good,” we can breathe a little easier. A duet of sorts with Justin Timberlake, the mid-tempo dance track is surprisingly good. In fact, it sounds like an outtake from Off the Wall, though Jackson actually recorded and produced the song with Paul Anka during his Thriller days, in 1983.

If producers are going to put out more MJ music, let’s hope it continues to sound this good. The album arrives May 13.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ten_to_love_never_felt.html?wpisrc=burger_bar

Michael Jackson & Justin Timberlake’s “Love Never Felt So Good”

At last night’s truly abysmal iHeartRadio Music Awards, we heard part of Michael Jackson‘s previously unreleased and now updated song “Love Never Felt So Good” as Usher danced to it during an MJ tribute. Shortly after the show, the studio version of the Xscape single featuring Justin Timberlake was released. And fans of the King of Pop can rest easy, because it’s very solid!

The duet has a soulful disco feel, which makes sense since Jackson wrote the song with Paul Anka back in 1983. This final version was produced by John McClain, and one of the highlights of the resuscitated track is hearing MJ and JT join up on the chorus, where their voices make for an uncannily natural combination (which may have more to do with how it was mixed to bolster MJ’s unfinished vocal track, but still, well done everyone). The other great thing is that it’s not trying to be an Event, it’s just a breezy dance floor strut that wouldn’t feel out of place on Off The Wall or The 20/20 Experience.

http://www.idolator.com/7516769/michael-jackson-justin-timberlake-love-never-felt-so-good

Bubs;3994154 said:
Michael Jackson & Justin Timberlake’s “Love Never Felt So Good”

At last night’s truly abysmal iHeartRadio Music Awards, we heard part of Michael Jackson‘s previously unreleased and now updated song “Love Never Felt So Good” as Usher danced to it during an MJ tribute. Shortly after the show, the studio version of the Xscape single featuring Justin Timberlake was released. And fans of the King of Pop can rest easy, because it’s very solid!

The duet has a soulful disco feel, which makes sense since Jackson wrote the song with Paul Anka back in 1983. This final version was produced by John McClain, and one of the highlights of the resuscitated track is hearing MJ and JT join up on the chorus, where their voices make for an uncannily natural combination (which may have more to do with how it was mixed to bolster MJ’s unfinished vocal track, but still, well done everyone). The other great thing is that it’s not trying to be an Event, it’s just a breezy dance floor strut that wouldn’t feel out of place on Off The Wall or The 20/20 Experience.

http://www.idolator.com/7516769/michael-jackson-justin-timberlake-love-never-felt-so-good

Hiya Bubs :) I feel the same that's why I love it :) I said the exact same thing in the " I heart awards discussion thread" last night, it totally makes me think of off the wall , which is my Fav album ( even though I love them all) it has got such a soulful disco feel your right :) it's Awesome !!!!!!!!!!

Hiya Bubs :) I feel the same that's why I love it :) I said the exact same thing in the " I heart awards discussion thread" last night, it totally makes me think of off the wall , which is my Fav album ( even though I love them all) it has got such a soulful disco feel your right :) it's Awesome !!!!!!!!!!

I really love the melody of the song and as the review said it,soulful disco feel. I've been listening to it at least 20 times and the more I listen, the more I'm certain if it going to be smash hit (at least in my own head:))

Ah dance, let me see your moving, dance.......:chillin:

Michael Jackson thrills in 'Love Never Felt So Good'

Mikael Wood May 2, 2014, 10:57 a.m.

Here's something unexpected: The new Michael Jackson single rules.
When Epic Records announced in March that it would release a posthumous album from the pop superstar who died in 2009 -- another posthumous album, that is -- Pop & Hiss saw little reason to get excited.
In 2010, the label's disappointing "Michael" collection suggested there wasn't much of value in the Epic vaults; if anything, the album boosted your sense of Jackson's genius as a recordmaker, in that he appeared to know exactly what was worth putting out (and what wasn't) during his lifetime.

But the release Thursday night of "Love Never Felt So Good" -- the first single from "Xscape," due out May 13 -- complicates that impression. Simply put, Jackson was sitting on a piece of disco-soul gold.
With its buoyant keyboards and effervescent groove -- not to mention Jackson's typically sumptuous vocal melody -- "Love Never Felt So Good" would have fit right in on 1979's "Off the Wall" or its world-changing 1982 follow-up, "Thriller."
According to a press release, Jackson wrote the tune in 1983 with Paul Anka, "around the time they recorded 'This Is It,'" featured in the 2009 concert film of the same title. The new version was produced by John McClain, co-executor of Jackson's estate.
Epic also issued a remix of the song featuring duet vocals by Justin Timberlake and a muscled-up beat from Timberlake, Timbaland and Jerome "J-Roc" Harmon; they're among the producers whom Epic chief L.A. Reid selected to help with "contemporizing" the archived recordings slated for release on "Xscape."
But their additions to "Love Never Felt So Good" -- a song that reminds us how peerless Jackson could be -- hardly represent an improvement. Listen to the original above.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...o-good-20140502,0,7227415.story#ixzz30aG1rFMZ

<header class="entry-header" style="color: rgb(44, 44, 44); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 18.399999618530273px; line-height: 24.375px;">Michael Jackson, “Love Never Felt So Good” — it’s trending, but is it good?

</header>
In which we assess the quality of a pop song trending online.
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bmMk3pAnAI4?list=UUulYu1HEIa7f70L2lYZWHOw" height="360" width="640" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" style="max-width: 100%;"></iframe>

The artist: Michael Jackson, King of Pop, b. Gary, Indiana, 1958-2009.

The song: “Love Never Felt So Good,” a tune Jackson reportedly wrote and recorded with Paul Anka 31 years ago. (It’s scheduled to appear on “Xscape,” an album of previously unreleased MJ material due out May 13.) But there are two versions of “Love Never Felt So Good” currently floating around — one that sounds like it was recorded in ’83 and another where Justin Timberlake transforms it into a 21st-century duet.
It’s trending, but is it good? The Jackson-only version is terrific. It’s airy, sweet, funky and pretty much impossible to dislike. But the Timberlake replica surfaces all the grody feelings that came rushing in 2010 with Jackson’s first posthumous album, “Michael.” As unknowable as Jackson was, we at least knew that he was a perfectionist. Finishing his unfinished business will always be a sketchy pursuit. And decorating his music with Timberlake’s reflexive beat-boxing and deadpan commands to “DANCE” simply makes the stomach turn twice as fast.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0wnuTGGuAVs?list=UUulYu1HEIa7f70L2lYZWHOw" height="360" width="640" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" style="max-width: 100%;"></iframe>

lg.php

chris-richards.jpg

Chris Richards became the Post's pop music critic in 2009. He has covered D.I.Y. house sho

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/05/02/michael-jackson-love-never-felt-so-good-its-trending-but-is-it-good/

Michael Jackson song from 1983 released; first single from 'new' album

By Alan Duke, CNN
updated 11:10 AM EDT, Fri May 2, 2014

120625035036-mj-1-horizontal-gallery.jpg
The death in 2009 of superstar Michael Jackson, who died of cardiac arrest at the age of 50, sent shockwaves around the world.

HIDE CAPTION

Michael Jackson, King of Pop

>
>>

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Jackson wrote, recorded "Love Never Felt So Good" with Paul Anka in 1983
  • The release has "a magic combination of the new and the original production," label says
  • Old Jackson song is "right at home with the disco-soul inflected music of today," Epic says
  • Epic has a deal with Jackson's estate to mine his archives for new albums

Los Angeles (CNN) -- A song Michael Jackson recorded 31 years ago is out, the first single from the upcoming "Xscape" album.
Jackson wrote, recorded and produced "Love Never Felt So Good" with Paul Anka in 1983, but it has been "contemporized" by Anka and Jackson estate co-executor John McClain, according to an Epic Records news release.
The song has "a magic combination of the new and the original production that retains the track's analog, early 80s feel, while also sounding right at home with the disco-soul inflected music of today," the label said.

The track debuted during the iHeartRadio Music Awards on Thursday night. Online music services, including iTunes, have it for downloading starting early Friday morning, Epic said.
Jackson and Anka worked on the song at about the same time they wrote and recorded "This Is It," which eventually became the theme song to a documentary based on Jackson's preparations for a tour that never happened because of his death.
Jackson died at age 50 on June 25, 2009, while preparing for his "This Is It" comeback tour.
120503093639-michael-jackson-dreamgirls-premiere-1983-story-body.jpg

Michael Jackson at the Los Angeles premiere of the musical 'Dreamgirls' in 1983.

Eight previously unheard Michael Jackson songs, originally recorded between 1983 and 1999, will be released on the new album May 13, Epic Records announced in March.
Epic Chairman L.A. Reid chose several producers with the "gravitas, depth and range to creatively engage with Jackson's work" to update the recordings for release, Epic said.
New Michael Jackson album coming in May: 'Xscape'
Timbaland is the lead producer, with contributions from Rodney Jerkins, Stargate, Jerome "J-Roc" Harmon and McClain, the release said. A bonus version of "Love Never Felt So Good" features Justin Timberlake along with Jackson.

Sony's Columbia Epic Records -- Jackson's record label for three decades -- signed a longterm deal with Jackson's estate to posthumously release music from the large archives of his recordings.
Reid "was granted unlimited access to the treasures representing four decades of material on which Jackson had completed his vocals," the announcement said.
"New" music is not always met with a warm reception from fans and the Jackson family. Some questioned the authenticity of the vocals on a 2010 album, although the estate and the record company said sound experts verified Jackson's voice.

***also on TV they played a clip of Usher from i heart, and said a lot of positive stuff. Lots of exposure.:woohoo:

bluesky;3994416 said:

chris-richards.jpg

"
It&#8217;s trending, but is it good? The Jackson-only version is terrific. It&#8217;s airy, sweet, funky and pretty much impossible to dislike. But the Timberlake replica surfaces all the grody feelings that came rushing in 2010 with Jackson&#8217;s first posthumous album, &#8220;Michael"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/05/02/michael-jackson-love-never-felt-so-good-its-trending-but-is-it-good/

Well isn't he a happy camper, lol.

Michael Jackson&#8217;s &#8216;Love Never Felt So Good&#8217; Is So Good!

May 2, 2014 Leave a comment
Source: USA Today &#8211; Ann Oldenburg​

Need a little Friday afternoon pick-me-up? Seems a lot of us do.
Trending big now on Facebook is the new Michael Jackson song, Love Never Felt So Good. There are two versions &#8212; one is just Jackson and one&#8217;s a duet with Justin Timberlake. The track was written and originally recorded and produced by Jackson and Paul Anka in 1983, with new production by John McClain.
Usher debuted the song on Thursday night&#8217;s iHeartRadio awards show.
The catchy tune, which USA TODAY&#8217;s Elysa Gardner says &#8220;has an old-school snap and tingle, with warm, leaping strings,&#8221; is earning raves &#8217;round the Web.
Slate says the &#8220;mid-tempo dance track is surprisingly good.&#8221;
Defamer says, &#8220;The new Michael Jackson song is actually really good.&#8221;
MTV calls it &#8220;kind of amazing, actually.&#8221;
The Los Angeles Times says: &#8220;Michael Jackson thrills in &#8216;Love Never Felt So Good.&#8217;&#8221;

Here&#8217;s the version that features a duet with Timberlake.
Take your pick &#8212; and start dancing.

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2014/05/02/michael-jacksons-love-never-felt-so-good-is-so-good/

[h=2]Music Geek Track of the Day: “Love Never Felt So Good” by Michael Jackson[/h]

by Matt Grosinger on MAY 2, 2014
“Love Never Felt So Good” is the first single off Michael Jackson’s second posthumous album, Xscape, and ohhhhh my goooddd does it sound amazing. As soon as I heard this, my instinctive thought was, “When is the wedding/Bar Mitzvah/quinceañera I am invited to? Cause I need to groove so hard.”
I am always very wary of posthumous releases for all the obvious reasons of creative discontinuity and the issue of potentially tarnishing an artist’s legacy, and that especially applied in this case. But almost instantly (that sting intro!!) I had a heady surge that brought me back to hearing Off The Wall for the first time and knowing just how purely good that sound was. This track could very well be essential Michael Jackson, and I am so happy that I get to write about this guy today.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/05/musi...y-love-never-felt-so-good-by-michael-jackson/

So much of praise for MJ that I'm going to faint:wild:

NEW ANTHEM: MICHAEL JACKSON FEATURING JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE &#8211; &#8220;LOVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD&#8221;
May 2nd, 2014 James Shotwell

It&#8217;s Friday, which means the weekend is only a few short hours away from welcoming you and your dreams of good times with open arms. The only thing you need at this point is a good soundtrack for evening, right? Well, now you can cross that off your to-do list as well.

A new song from Michael Jackson and Justin Timberlake titled &#8220;Love Never Felt So Good&#8221; has found its way online ahead of the late singer&#8217;s new album release. The track harkens back to the height of 70s dance pop, which fits Timberlake almost as well as it does the king of pop. The full band backing gives the whole track a unique sense of visceral energy in a time where most songs intended to make people move rely on beat machines rather than actual people with musical talent. You can stream the track below, but you may first want to find that special someone in your life first (or a complete stranger) and ask them to dance:

Hot damn. This song is going to be everywhere this summer and I could not be happier about it. I would take 100 knockoffs of this song cropping up over the next 6-8 months over another summer of &#8220;Get Lucky&#8221; and &#8220;Blurred Lines&#8221; any time. No question.

I probably played this song half a dozen times before finding the will power to sit down long enough to type. As soon as the drums kick in it&#8217;s like the universe commands whatever cares you have to back off and let you have a good time. You get lost in the groove and fall in love as the hi-hat builds to chorus. If you don&#8217;t have someone to spin around your cubicle or living room by the time the second verse begins it no longer matters because you&#8217;re already addicted to the rhythm. It&#8217;s the perfect pop throwback, and it deserves nothing short of platinum certification.

Jackson&#8217;s new posthumous album, Xscape, arrives in stores May 13.

http://www.underthegunreview.net/20...ng-justin-timberlake-love-never-felt-so-good/

Justin Timberlake And Michael Jackson Hit The Dance Floor On &#8216;So Good&#8217;: Listen

First single from MJ's posthumous album has a total disco vibe.
by gil kaufman 05/02/14

For years, some have said that Justin Timberlake is the Michael Jackson of his time. And while &#8216;NSYNC had their chance to share the stage with MJ at the 2001 MTV Video Music Awards, the two pop supernovas never made a hoped-for connection in the studio.

Until Now.

On Thursday, Timberlake revealed that he&#8217;ll appear on the upcoming posthumous MJ album, XSCAPE, on the song &#8220;Love Never Felt So Good.&#8221;

What&#8217;s it sound like? Kind of amazing, actually. The 1980s-style disco-lite dance groove sounds right out of MJ&#8217;s Off the Wall, his 1979 solo debut. Built on a base of jazzy piano and guitar and a &#8220;Saturday Night Fever&#8221;-ish beat, MJ takes the first verse, while Timberlake slides in around the 1:20 mark to sing about how, &#8220;Love never felt so fine/ And I doubt if it was ever mine.&#8221;

The transition between their voices and JT&#8217;s ease in the groove (which is like the older cousin to &#8220;Take Back the Night&#8221; from Justin&#8217;s The 20/20 Experience &#8211; 2 of 2) are so smooth you might not even realize that they were patched together to form this Frankenstein pop monster.

Written by Jackson and 1950s star Paul Anka, &#8220;Love Never Felt So Good&#8221; is one of a number of previously unreleased tracks on the eight-song album titled Xscape and due on May 13. The track was refreshed and re-worked by Epic Records Chairman and CEO L.A. Reid. In addition, the album features production by Rodney Jerkins, Timbaland, Stargate, Jerome &#8220;Jroc&#8221; Harmon and John McClain on songs recorded by Jackson between 1983 and 1999.

If the duet&#8217;s too much for you to handle, there&#8217;s also the MJ-only version of &#8220;So Good,&#8221; which Usher danced to at Thursday night&#8217;s iHeartRadio Music Awards.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1819185/jus...ackson-hit-the-dance-floor-on-so-good-listen/

Back