Your favorite rehearsals

Galactus123

Proud Member
Donations
$18.00
What are your favorite rehearsal performances? I really like the Man in the Mirror Dangerous Tour rehearsal:

Its great to hear Michael singing it live. Remember the time and Rock with you rehearsals are also great.

His best performance of Black Or White. Love how spontaneous it is, and the live vocals/adlibs are fantastic.

I must go with Man in The Mirror and Heal the World from the Dangerous rehearsals. - Those songs sung 100 % live is just amazing. - thoses "performances" are probably my favorite performances even if we also talk real concerts.

Human Nature and Rock With You is amazing too.

Threatened from the This Is It rehearsals, it's so funky and I like how it's played right after Thriller, basically making its sequel. 😁
Agree 100%. It's brilliant. Only downside - the first time I saw TII I thought he was actually gonna play the whole song. Was very disappointed that it was just tacked onto the end of Thriller but, that said, it works brilliantly. I love his dancing in this, especially when he's up on the ramp. Minimal movements but so cool. And Threatened sounds fabulous, it's got that whole loud, crunching, heavy thing going on. Love it.

Me too, I wish he performed more songs from Invincible, Threatened and Speechless weren't enough... :confused:
Oh, I couldn't agree more. And the Speechless bit was sensational. Just beautiful. Especially when he shrugs and lifts his hand up as he sings/speaks 'I love you'. I know he had a ridiculous number of songs he was trying to fit in, I get it, the whole thing was impossible but, oh my, Invincible! Some of those songs would work so well live.

I like the entire 1st run of the so called green shirt DWT rehearsal.

Btw, I'd love to see one of the earlier Pensacola rehearsals in its entirety. (especially that one with the leaked red shirt SC performance)

For me it would be This Is It, Dangerous, and Bad 🥰
Oh my! Just went and looked for Bad rehearsal footage. Had no idea the Rome rehearsal is where that cute clip came from, the one where he's wearing his big padded 'teddy bear' jacket. So cute!

Seems to be tons of Bad stuff. I'm gonna work my way through the rest of it. My heart will forever be with TII but this was really cool.

All the DWT rehearsals are my faves because they're live. Someone should splice in these real vocals into the mimed Dangerous tour performances.

The black or white performance is completely brilliant. The nonchalant spontaneous rocking out dancing is a joy to behold. Too bad the light flashes are too bright so we can't see some of his moves. I like it better than all the little rehearsed moves he did. Other prime examples are for the captain EO rehearsals, that small segment where he dances with the lady and the "in the closet" video, the little dance segment after the build up.

Has anyone actually seen the first dates of the Dangerous tour, is it really certain that he didn't perform more songs live then? Why rehearse it live if you're not going to bring it live? Love to hear HIStory tour rehearsals just to hear if it is live or not...

The Dangerous rehearsal from TII would have been nice to see as well, I love the mix with the Who Is It beatbox, Morphine and This Place Hotel played at the outro.

The Dangerous rehearsal from TII would have been nice to see as well, I love the mix with the Who Is It beatbox, Morphine and This Place Hotel played at the outro.
Sorry, what? What outro is this? TII? Haven't watched the film in years, I usually just run various segments in my head. Isn't it MITM and then TII over the closing credits?

I'm confused.

Haven't found it yet. Did find a really nice 9m YT clip of Dangerous with (apparently) a comment from Travis Payne endorsing it as being an accurate recreation of Dangerous rehearsals. I hadn't seen this clip before; it's good.

Then I watched MITM (TII). And now I'm just 😢

Sorry, what? What outro is this? TII? Haven't watched the film in years, I usually just run various segments in my head. Isn't it MITM and then TII over the closing credits?

I'm confused.
There are a lot of rehearsals that weren't included in the movie (for example: Will You Be There, Dangerous, Dirty Diana, You Are Not Alone, a mashup of Heal The World/We Are The World), you can listen to the band rehearsals on Jonathan Sugarfoot's channel.

Here's how Dangerous would've been like:

would love to see more from this historical moment
yesterday was the anniversary of this performance

would love to see more from this historical moment
yesterday was the anniversary of this performance
Agreed. I love this clip but it is frustrating. I'm glad we have 21s instead of nothing but, yeah, I want to see more of it.

Agreed. I love this clip but it is frustrating. I'm glad we have 21s instead of nothing but, yeah, I want to see more of it.
this is from the motown 25 dvd bonus features from many years ago. i remember susanne de passe confirming that they had more michael/jacksons footage, but the estate blocked it..

She Is Out Of My Life was rehearsed for the MJ charity concerts in South Korea and Germany in 1999, but was never performed, which is a shame because watching this rehearsal, Michael still had the vocal ability which he sadly chose not to show during a lot of his final performances.

Remember The Time, Rock With You and Man In The Mirror in 1992. His vocals were incredible, love that fire he added to RWY and his energy was off the charts. I feel so privileged that we have that footage, in my eyes, that's Michael's peak as a performer

Special mention for Human Nature from This Is It, that'll always hold a special place in my heart. It was wonderful to see Mike still had it, that final note at the end of that particular performance gives me shivers every time

Remember The Time, Rock With You and Man In The Mirror in 1992. His vocals were incredible, love that fire he added to RWY and his energy was off the charts. I feel so privileged that we have that footage, in my eyes, that's Michael's peak as a performer

Special mention for Human Nature from This Is It, that'll always hold a special place in my heart. It was wonderful to see Mike still had it, that final note at the end of that particular performance gives me shivers every time
Human Nature / TII. 🥰

Threatened from the This Is It rehearsals, it's so funky and I like how it's played right after Thriller, basically making its sequel. 😁

OMG YES! Threatened sounded so good, still waiting for somebody to make a full length version of the track with the live mix.

Remember The Time is probably my favorite.

I love Michael's vocals in this one. The high notes starting at 4:24 took my soul.

I always found Thriller performances at Bad, Dangerous & History tours to be quite underwhelming and skippable. But watching the rehearsals for This Is It, it seems that Thriller's performance at This Is It was finally the ultimate Thriller performance that I was looking for. I especially love the bit where MJ comes out of the spider at 2:52 in the video.

I love Michael's vocals in this one. The high notes starting at 4:24 took my soul.

Glad to see you used the 'longer' version, because that first minute is absolutely magical and precious. It puts things into context, so to speak. Without it, the rest of the tune wouldn't make sense. Love it, love it sooooo much 😍 And the sweet, shy guy singin' in Spanish ain't half bad either 🤭

Last edited:

I always found Thriller performances at Bad, Dangerous & History tours to be quite underwhelming and skippable. But watching the rehearsals for This Is It, it seems that Thriller's performance at This Is It was finally the ultimate Thriller performance that I was looking for. I especially love the bit where MJ comes out of the spider at 2:52 in the video.
Agree 100%. Didn't see Michael live so only have clips to go on but all the live versions of Thriller I've seen were definitely underwhelming, as you say.

I go back and forth on TII. When I saw it the first time I thought it was great but, otoh, was quite sure I wasn't seeing Michael at the top of his game. I'm used to seeing dancers past their physical prime and you adjust your expectations accordingly and it's all fine. I don't expect a 50 year old to have the speed of a 35 year old. Dance is different to the other performing arts. That said, I also think TII is freakin' brilliant and partly for the reason you state here, Nite Line, when you talk about TII having the best live version of Thriller.

Years ago I read an interview with Vivienne Westwood and the journalist pointed out that she essentially does the same thing every time she has a new collection out. Westwood did not take offence because she knew what the journalist was getting at. She agreed that, yes, what she's doing is always searching for the most perfect version of the vision in her head for each garment or outfit that she creates. And the first time I saw TII that's what I thought. I hadn't seen any clips of Michael live at that point but just felt instinctively that Michael was finally finding a more perfect version of his show. I've seen all the live versions of Thriller and none of them captures the scary, gothic, supernatural feel (or excitement) of the song or short film like this does. I mean, it helps that you've got Threatened tacked on at the end but, even so, it's just amazing. "And spirits dancing in the night". Love it. The spider bit is fabulous but my fave part is the Threatened part. Especially when he's up on the ramp, Michael is just bossing it.

Same with IJCSLY. Don't even like the song much but love the TII version. I think Judith Hill is by far the best match for Michael than any of the others I've seen or heard. Michael does look very thin in this clip so that's very sobering but, otoh, he just electrifies me with this performance.

WHAT... Wow. How on earth did I miss the rehearsal for SOOML for MJ & Friends. Don't remember to have ever seen that before! - It just shows he still had the vocals to perform live. - Which makes it even more sad he did not do it...

Thanks for sharing that video. Made my day.

Has anyone actually seen the first dates of the Dangerous tour, is it really certain that he didn't perform more songs live then? Why rehearse it live if you're not going to bring it live? Love to hear HIStory tour rehearsals just to hear if it is live or not...
Because he also had to be prepared when unexpected, technical playback problems occurred while performing.

She Is Out Of My Life was rehearsed for the MJ charity concerts in South Korea and Germany in 1999, but was never performed, which is a shame because watching this rehearsal, Michael still had the vocal ability which he sadly chose not to show during a lot of his final performances.
Oh. My. Goodness. (I'm using Gaz language!)

I don't even like this song. Or Michael's performance (on the record). I only watched this because ... waiting for the kettle to boil.

But this? This is just 🥰

Back