your thoughts on ELO

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
always been a interesting band and sound and you always know that sound and vibe. what are your thoughts??

ELO was one of my faves growing up. Jeff Lynne really impressed me with his singing and the band itself impressed me with their musicianship. Back in the days of old, I never saw a Rock Band with strings playing live in concerts or on a TV dance show or Talk show,you always hear the string section on record. I don't remember if they were the first to do it but I sure appreciate the idea. Like Blood, Sweat and Tears,Chicago,Earth Wind and Fire,Tower of Power , Kool and The Gang, Average White Band, The Bar Kays and Mar Kays, These groups had horn sections. along with the band and Chic and ELO and maybe others took the chance and incorporated strings to show true showmanship and Music trailblazing.I heard that George Harrison played on one or two of the ELO songs also.Jeff Lynne is a true genius for creating such an idea.True Trailbalzer.
Evil Woman,Hold on tight,Strange Magic are my faves.

I heard that George Harrison played on one or two of the ELO songs also. Jeff Lynne is a true genius for creating such an idea.

It was Jeff's idea for The Traveling Wilbury's with him, George, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, & Bob Dylan. Jeff also produced the "new" songs on The Beatles Anthology albums "Free As A Bird" & "Real Love". They came out good, but I always wonder why George Martin wasn't involved since he compiled the other unreleased material on the 3 Anthology sets.

It was Jeff's idea for The Traveling Wilbury's with him, George, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, & Bob Dylan. Jeff also produced the "new" songs on The Beatles Anthology albums "Free As A Bird" & "Real Love". They came out good, but I always wonder why George Martin wasn't involved since he compiled the other unreleased material on the 3 Anthology sets.

George played slide Guitar and sang on 2 songs off the ELO Album ZOOM (2001) before his passing. The Songs were All She Wanted and A Long Time Gone.
Ringo also played drums on songs like Easy Money and Moment In Paradise from the same Album.

I guess you'll have to ask Jeff why he took over the project to Produce Free as A Bird and Real Love.Maybe it was too much for Mr.Martin with the dealing with the Free as a Bird Tape(Maybe it effected him emotionally also) and Maybe The Guys(Mostly George) thought that Jeff can find a solution. It worked whatever he did dealing with compressors and lowering the treble, ect...Real Love was already done and I think they found the Master to elminate some of the tracks so that The original lineup can be heard.They doubled The Piano and strengthened the guitars, bass and Drum tracks and who could not know George's Slide guitar.

Those Wilburys(The first lineup) was classic Rock and Roll,Folk,Pop ,ect...
I still love Roy's falsetto and George's Slide.
After Roy passed it was empty until they found another lost relative.LOL....
That was a Historic Band back then.
Did you know That George's son Dhani was a Wilbury also ?Ayrton Wilbury.

Last edited:
By Rolling Stone April 8, 2017
tumblr_oo0vmt5uXw1rw606ko1_r8_1280.jpg

2017 Inductee Jeff Lynne & Roy Wood of ELO at the 32nd Annual Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony at Barclays Center on April 7, 2017 in New York City.

Jeff Lynne and Electric Light Orchestra have been making hits since 1972, when their "10538 Overture" – off their self-titled debut – made it into the Top 10 on the U.K charts. Their ornately arranged rock songs, played by a live lineup that currently includes three keyboardists, a violinist and two cellists, among others, eventually resonated in the U.S. and their singles "Don't Bring Me Down," "Can't Get It Out of My Head" and "Evil Woman" all became Top 10 hits prior to the group's disbandment in 1986. Lynne and keyboardist Richard Tandy reactivated the group in 2000 and again in 2014, leading to the release of 2015's Alone in the Universe under the banner of Jeff Lynne's ELO.

Lynne, Tandy and multi-instrumentalist Roy Wood made appearances at Brooklyn's Barclays Center Friday to accept their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Founding drummer Bev Bevan chose not to attend the ceremony, instead honoring previously booked live engagements. Following some words by Dhani Harrison, son of Lynne's late Traveling Wilburys bandmate George, the musicians gave their own speeches. Read the full speech below.

Roy Wood: Well, first of all, I would really like to thank Jeff for his dedication to writing the songs, otherwise we wouldn't have been invited here tonight. And also to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for this wonderful award. It really means a lot. Thank you very much.

Jeff Lynne: Well, thank you very much indeed. It's such a pleasure to get one of these, because I've watched lots and lots and lots, hundreds, of people getting awards. It's like my dad said, everything comes to him what waits. And talking about my dad, my musical education actually was, I was walking down the street with him one day – I was about seven – in the street, there was a great big sewer pipe, about probably 10 feet long. I would've been four-foot-five. He said, "Come over here. On the street." And he went to the sewer pipe, and he went, "Ah, ah, ah, ahhhh." And of course, like a choir of angels that was beautiful, and that's how I learned harmony, believe it or not. And he said, "Come on. You have a go." And of course, I was seven, so I went, [higher-pitched] "Ah, ah, ah, ahhh." And it was so fantastic, I went, "God! Is that all you have to do?" And that's a chord. And that was a chord, and I said 'I can do a chord. It's brilliant.' And so, from that moment on, I knew what chords were. I mean, I didn't really, but I thought I did, but it took me then another forty years to actually master all the chords.

And the old business, but that was the way I got started really. It wasn't easy to get started because my mother didn't really want me to do music at all. She thought it was all drugs and booze and all that. Even then, it wasn't anything. It was just like, yeah, singing and recording. Anyway, it turned out, she kept banging on the stairs, booming, blundering, going, "Get up, you lazy bugga!" And I'd go, this one day, I've joined a professional group. I said, "Mom. Don't ever do that again, please. I'm now a professional musician, and I never have to get up ever again."

You should've seen her face. Anyway, she got used to it about 30 years in and was pleased with some of my music, so, thank you all very much for being here. Enjoy your night. I just have to say, Richard couldn't be here tonight, and that's a shame. And Bev couldn't be here tonight, but Roy was here tonight, which is great. And I think that's about it really. I think I've said it all. So thank you all very much indeed. And I'll hand you over to somebody else.
[video=youtube;yfu-LPaCONo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfu-LPaCONo[/video]
[video=youtube;t1NNRQGj6rg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1NNRQGj6rg[/video]

Back