Janet: *yawn* I get it... you like sex

.Butterflies.

Proud Member
I used to love Janet...almost as much as Michael. I loved all her albums up to the Velvet Rope which was brilliant! But every album since has disappointed me to the point I couldn't care less if she were to have a new single or album coming. I mean I know she's always had some kind of raunchiness to her albums but I think she just went waaaaay overboard after TVR! Can the woman sing about anything OTHER than getting off and the noises she makes whilst doing it? There's usually only ever a couple of songs on her latter albums that doesn't involve her singing about being ploughed. What happened to miss rhythm nation? Am I the only one whose bored with the sex kitten theme?

Well I still love Janet but I wish she'd have some more deep songs. I think she will on her upcoming one.

p.s. I love Rhythm Nation so much. Classic.

I agree with butterflyes. You know, this one thing I love about Michael, is that he never changed his views and interests. The stuff, he was into, let's say the Thriller era, were the same stuff, he was into until the day he died.
Janet on the other hand, started from being his copy, and having his same ideas, in the 80's but afterwards, she went other direction. This is good on one hand, that she found her own, and stopped coping him so much, though she still did it a little, but slowly & surely from being a Michael's clone she turned pretty much into another artist. I mean she is Janet of course, but comparing to Michael she doesn't really innovate and her last number of albums, seemed repeatative. For being his sister, it seems she should be more like him, but she's not. From Miss Rythm Nation, Miss Education is the key to succses/heal the world type, she turned in to almost every song is sex on my mind. Comparing to him, she is not into what she was in the beggining. There are people that say, that her biggest album and project was RN, and after that she lost her talent, some say that it was after TVR, but she is not in to Michael's ideas anymore clearly, they used to be alike back when she was young I guess, but not anymore.

I was just thinking about Madonna, the way she was before 97. I think her best work was from True blue, to Bedtime stories.
Once she had her kid, she turned in to a different artist, and I always wondered about this thing, I wonder how many people were disappointed, when she came back with this different non sexual image? Because I am sure, there gotta be a lot of Diehard fans, that were truly dissapointed. Madonna made her name on sex, and in 97 she tryed to get rid of that. I think that people that got in to her than, have the right to love her, but they haven't known her before, and she was a completely different artist. I liked her much more before, I mean musically and artistically, I like some of her music now, and dislike her image. I know they will say, well, she can't keep being this who' she was now when she has kids, and you are right, but the sex factor was a great reason of atraction to her, and once she changed, I am sure some of the Diehard fans died with it.

I agree with butterflyes. You know, this one thing I love about Michael, is that he never changed his views and interests. The stuff, he was into, let's say the Thriller era, were the same stuff, he was into until the day he died.
Janet on the other hand, started from being his copy, and having his same ideas, in the 80's but afterwards, she went other direction. This is good on one hand, that she found her own, and stopped coping him so much, though she still did it a little, but slowly & surely from being a Michael's clone she turned pretty much into another artist. I mean she is Janet of course, but comparing to Michael she doesn't really innovate and her last number of albums, seemed repeatative. For being his sister, it seems she should be more like him, but she's not. From Miss Rythm Nation, Miss Education is the key to succses/heal the world type, she turned in to almost every song is sex on my mind. Comparing to him, she is not into what she was in the beggining. There are people that say, that her biggest album and project was RN, and after that she lost her talent, some say that it was after TVR, but she is not in to Michael's ideas anymore clearly, they used to be alike back when she was young I guess, but not anymore.
Why should they sound alike? Chico DeBarge's music doesn't sound like El's or Switch. Jermaine Jackson's music isn't like Michael's. Debra Laws didn't sound like her sister Eloise. Wynton Marsalis' style is different than Brandford's. Natalie Cole didn't sound like Nat, at least before she starting doing all of those "duets" with him, lol. If Janet cloned Mike's music, she'd just be "female Michael" instead of herself.

I agree with that. I still like Janet but more for her albums until Velvet Rope (including). It's like if there wasn't anything besides sex in life. It annoys me a bit, she looses credibility in my opinion, trying to fit in those britney's era being sexy and everything.. no sounds needed, she is sexy, period, no need to always fake the act on an album, it's getting gross.

But I love JJ and her smile anyway.

If Janet cloned Mike's music, she'd just be "female Michael" instead of herself.

She was the female Michael back in the 80's, she was his clone I repeat again, the only thing that was different is that she stayed a woman, and that's where the difference began and it is good that she turned in to being herself. but people are disappointed, that she stopped being as good as she was than, or pre2001.

She was the female Michael back in the 80's, she was his clone I repeat again, the only thing that was different is that she stayed a woman, and that's where the difference began and it is good that she turned in to being herself. but people are disappointed, that she stopped being as good as she was than, or pre2001.
I don't think her music sounded like Michael's. The 1st album sounded more like Shalamar than Mike. 'Dream Street' was half Europop and half pop-funk. As far as 'Control' & 'Rhythm Nation' is concerned, Jam & Lewis doesn't sound like Quincy Jones.

DuranDuran, her songs like Nasty, control, WHYDFML, RN, State of the world, you need me, mis you much, black cat, had this tough, edge to them, she was very close to his way of music, and her image helped that too, and the dance, in her control videos, may be excluding plesure prinsiple, she just dances truly like him, she was into dancing than just like he was, she was just his copy, the tough idea, of Control, reminds of Bad, and RN, is this typical Michael's heal the world idea. They were much more alike.
it's the feminine side of her, that changed that, and with years she went more into it.

I used to love Janet...almost as much as Michael. I loved all her albums up to the Velvet Rope which was brilliant! But every album since has disappointed me to the point I couldn't care less if she were to have a new single or album coming. I mean I know she's always had some kind of raunchiness to her albums but I think she just went waaaaay overboard after TVR! Can the woman sing about anything OTHER than getting off and the noises she makes whilst doing it? There's usually only ever a couple of songs on her latter albums that doesn't involve her singing about being ploughed. What happened to miss rhythm nation? Am I the only one whose bored with the sex kitten theme?

I agree. I loved her stuff up through TVR, but I kind of want to shake her and say, You know, there IS more to life. It kind of weirds me out that it's not just an act for her albums - there was an interview where they were talking about something else and then she was like "It's so beautiful, even animals do it" and the interviewer was like um.... OK, moving right along. :p

'Control' came out before 'Bad'. 'Heal The World' didn't exist in 1989, when the 'Rhythm Nation' album came out. As far as the videos, she was dancing like Paula Abdul, lol.

She was dancing like Paula.:) Paula was choreographing her at that time, but she danced a lot like Michael too. And Control came out 86 and Bad in 87, which is not too far apart. And Michael and Janet, just used to have the same ideas at that time, you wanna argue about that? Even she confirmed it once and Michael did too. By "Heal the world" I meant not the song itself, but the whole idea of it, Michael was in to "healing the world" before that song came out, there was man in the mirror.
And he aways sang this type of songs, throught his time, but she did it for one album and than went other direction after RN..

Janet fans don't get mad at me but ever since Janet stopped singing and resorted to whispering her way into the beats, I stopped listening to her...

You know, it doesn't help that she doesn't exactly have the best voice...

I mean, there are times when I have to turn the volume way up cause I can't hear her at all.

Janet fans don't get mad at me but ever since Janet stopped singing and resorted to whispering her way into the beats, I stopped listening to her...

You know, it doesn't help that she doesn't exactly have the best voice...

I mean, there are times when I have to turn the volume way up cause I can't hear her at all.
I've heard people say this about Mariah Carey.

I can't remember what exactly it was that I was watching but it was only the other day. Michael was talking about Captain E.O and how he did military style dancing in the video. He said he wanted to use the style for a future vid but he got a phone call from Janet asking if he'd mind if she stole his idea for the Rhythm Nation video. He was also saying how alike they think as far as music goes and how they seem to get the exact same musical ideas at the same times etc.

I don't know if I buy that she necessarily ended up 'finding' her own way with the sex thing. I think it's more like she sold out. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get especially when you see unedited footage of her and videos of her at Neverland. She seems a lot like Mike and much more like the control, RN girl we used to see - Shy, down to earth, caring and playful. She just doesn't come off as being this nasty sex vixen and I don't know how someone could develop that persona so suddenly unless it's an alter-ego :s. Either way, it's getting really annoying! It's not just her. I mean Britney Spears isn't much better. I'm not a prude, but surely these women have more depth and other things going on in their lives to sing about other than what it's like to get in their pants? Who gives a sh*t? I mean, if Michael's every album were filled ONLY with 'Heal the World' type songs, I would probably want to puke!

I've heard people say this about Mariah Carey.

Then those people need to listen to the whistles in her new album lmao, she's not whispering so much anymore since 2005 or something (she could do with losing the little bit of autotune she's using lately though, she doesn't need it)

I love Janet but yeah I sometimes wish she would ease up on the sex songs a little. The album of the 2000s of Janet's that stands out to me most so far is Damita Jo, but the sex songs on there are a little excessive :p I was disappointed by her last album. It seems like she stopped being an innovator (ie Rhythm Nation and Control) and started being an imitator and more a product of the times. Sex sells I guess. I'm holding out that her next album will be the best she's done in a few years though :D At least I hope so 'cause I wanna see her on her next tour if she swings by the UK lol

there was an interview where they were talking about something else and then she was like "It's so beautiful, even animals do it" and the interviewer was like um.... OK, moving right along. :p
Lol. Yeah see that's just weird :p

^

True dat! We get enough of that garbage sex songs in the mainstream media.

Seriously, this just makes me wonder how kids these days are growing up...

I'm only 17 but even I can remember a day when there wasn't so many blatant sex sex sex image in public. But kids these days seems to be desensitized by all of this. LOLS!

^

I'm only 17 but even I can remember a day when there wasn't so many blatant sex sex sex image in public. But kids these days seems to be desensitized by all of this. LOLS!
It's not really that much different. Today, rap videos have barely dressed girls. In the 1980s, heavy metal videos had barely dressed girls.

^

Tell me about it. I remember my childhood, when to see a sexual video, or hear a sexy song was rare and it was such a big deal! And not a lot of artists were doing the sex, I mean Madonna, was into it, when Janet didn't even stand near!

god yes I wish she would stop that
I really used to like her music but when I heard the intro with her and Lisa I was like :puke:
I'm not really into those really sexual songs I really love songs that have meaning to them
and I think Janet should learn that from Micheal

This is an interesting thread...I never even bought anything of Janet's after VR. I like a song here and there, and I like her in general. But the sex stuff...puhlease! Sex is great and all, but it's not the only thing to focus on in songs, or in life for that matter. I would really like to learn more about her as a person (and as an artist) through her music, at least a little bit anyway. There has to be more to her than the fact she likes sex! She needs to peel back a few layers and show us what's underneath all that other stuff.

i don't understand what the point of this thread is. Janet can express herself whatever way she wants. if you are so bothered with her latest albums and theirs 'excessive sexuality' don't listen to them. just stay with her older stuff that you are comfortable with.

I loved all her albums up to the Velvet Rope which was brilliant! But every album since has disappointed me to the point I couldn't care less if she were to have a new single or album coming. I mean I know she's always had some kind of raunchiness to her albums but I think she just went waaaaay overboard after TVR! Can the woman sing about anything OTHER than getting off and the noises she makes whilst doing it? There's usually only ever a couple of songs on her latter albums that doesn't involve her singing about being ploughed. What happened to miss rhythm nation? Am I the only one whose bored with the sex kitten theme?

i agree latest Janet's albums were weak (although i like a few tracks on Discipline) but i don't understand what sexual topic has to do with quality of her music. she was as much sexually open on The Velvet Rope and that album is considered by many her best and most creative. on janet. most of the lyrics were also about sex (and only one song had some kind of 'message') and the album was very successful. it was totally different from the previous ones and i don't think there was something especially 'deep' on there but in terms of production it was as good as Rhythm Nation and enjoyable to listen to). i don't understand why people think it was too much sexuality that makes her latest albums boring.

when exactly did she stop working with Jam and Lewis? i have only her 3 albums from RN1814 to Velvet Rope and didn't follow her career much since then. anyone knows who did she work with on All For You and the following albums?

lol yeah jan is a bit freaky but i've always found her to be the most outspoken jackson. and not in the way that she talks to the press alot ecause that title goes to somebody else! but in the sense that from around the velvet rope period maybe a little earlier 95 96ish til now she's had this "fuck you if you have a problem with me or my family because this my life and i don't live it for you" attitude which is GREAT its shows alot of self worth, and believe me if we had more people in the world who valued you themselves we'd lived in a much happier society.
As for the sex well bear in mind that Jan probably started having sex pretty young and most likely younger than any of her sisters. Lets just assume she waited til marriage and james was her 1st 18 is still young especially to marry and settle down, and jan was already a divorcee at 19 so she wanted to live life have fun lol i see nothing wrong with it jan's grown woman and somebody mentioned madonna. well from what i heard of madonna back in the she OVERLY open about sex i mean didn't she have a sex book with nude pics of different celebrities? and yet people still loved her and yet til this day tv company's are talking about having lawsuits over janets breast being exposed???
i think people complain about janets sexed up image is because she's ajackson plain and simple and she doesn't fit that mould of daughter of devout jehovah's witness parents and america's dream family

i don't understand what the point of this thread is. Janet can express herself whatever way she wants. if you are so bothered with her latest albums and theirs 'excessive sexuality' don't listen to them. just stay with her older stuff that you are comfortable with.

i agree latest Janet's albums were weak (although i like a few tracks on Discipline) but i don't understand what sexual topic has to do with quality of her music. she was as much sexually open on The Velvet Rope and that album is considered by many her best and most creative. on janet. most of the lyrics were also about sex (and only one song had some kind of 'message') and the album was very successful. it was totally different from the previous ones and i don't think there was something especially 'deep' on there but in terms of production it was as good as Rhythm Nation and enjoyable to listen to). i don't understand why people think it was too much sexuality that makes her latest albums boring.

when exactly did she stop working with Jam and Lewis? i have only her 3 albums from RN1814 to Velvet Rope and didn't follow her career much since then. anyone knows who did she work with on All For You and the following albums?

The thing is though, for the fans sick of all the sex talk, if we are to "not listen" to those songs than we won't be listening to her music, period.

There's nothing wrong with fans wanting more from their beloved artist. Janet needs a change and her last few albums have more than proved that.

People stopped caring about her music and she needs to remind everyone what made her great in the first place.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone but it's how I feel.

Oddly, Prince gets the opposite reaction. A lot of his fans say they prefer the old "dirty" Prince and not the current no profanity, no overtly sexual songs, "clean" Jehovah Witness version.

Back