Janet: *yawn* I get it... you like sex

Well I like Invincible more than OTW and the confessions album is one of my favourite albums ever :lol:

Everyone has different musical tastes, sometimes it even rubs me the wrong way when people criticize Michael's music but there's a way to defend your fav artist without putting people down. :)

I don't mind criticism, but when you're criticizing, the least you can be is informed and have a well formulated opinion. Don't just spew out words and opinions that are based on the masses.

Just to reply to this because it applies to me.. you know I'm a new fan and you've even helped me find good Janet sites. But I don't see why our opinion shouldn't count just because we don't have all her albums or we haven't been listening to them for years.

A lot of people have said that they love her RN, Janet, VR and control albums. So it's not like we're criticizing her because we don't like her or we think she's crap.. we just don't like her later albums, and for some it's because there's a lot more sex in them.

I loved velvet rope the first time I listened to it... I've listened to damita jo half a dozen times and only now I'm starting to like it. What does that have to do with being a new fan?

If you have heard her albums and know the music then you're opinion is just as relevant as anyone elses. You don't have to have all her music videos, singles, and been listening to her for 20 years.

I can use the same logic against them when it comes to Madonna. I have been a lifelong fan who owns EVERYTHING Madonna related but yet for whatever reason they always are more "right" and know "more" than me when it's clear they haven't listened to all her albums all the way through.

Superiority complexes, I'm tellin' ya. For some reason what they say goes no matter how illogical and one sided it is.

I can't remember what exactly it was that I was watching but it was only the other day. Michael was talking about Captain E.O and how he did military style dancing in the video. He said he wanted to use the style for a future vid but he got a phone call from Janet asking if he'd mind if she stole his idea for the Rhythm Nation video. He was also saying how alike they think as far as music goes and how they seem to get the exact same musical ideas at the same times etc.

Janet only took the military concept and the way the dancers are positioned from Captain EO. She really didn't even have to ask MJ because she didn't take anything from him. Janet was just being polite.

I don't know if I buy that she necessarily ended up 'finding' her own way with the sex thing. I think it's more like she sold out. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get especially when you see unedited footage of her and videos of her at Neverland. She seems a lot like Mike and much more like the control, RN girl we used to see - Shy, down to earth, caring and playful. She just doesn't come off as being this nasty sex vixen and I don't know how someone could develop that persona so suddenly unless it's an alter-ego :s. Either way, it's getting really annoying! It's not just her. I mean Britney Spears isn't much better. I'm not a prude, but surely these women have more depth and other things going on in their lives to sing about other than what it's like to get in their pants? Who gives a sh*t?

Janet has always been a horny little girl. There's a song called "Pretty Boy" on one of the best albums eva - Dream Street. She's moaning throughout the whole song and singing about a pretty boy (James Debarge). It's very Prince-esque. "Funny How Time Flies" from the Control album is another one. "Someday is Tonight" off Rhythm Nation 1814 too. Janet's most successful album is Janet opening up to sex. But she does it a patient and gentle way. People only started taking notice when All for You dropped. But the sexual songs have been around since her Sophomore album! I just don't understand how someone can belittle Janet's contribution to music like that! She has touched on about every topic that everyone is afraid to speak about! I would go as far to say she's more of an artist than MJ ever was! She sung about - Poverty, crime, education, racism and even controversial topics such as - Sado- masochism, spousal abuse, online dating, homosexuality/ lesbianism/ bisexuality and also her music embodies emotions and feelings such as loneliness, fear, self-realization, abandonment, anticipation, pride etc.

I suggest you listen to these tracks- Special, Gods Stepchild, Truth, Better Days, Enjoy, Can't Be Stopped.

if Michael's every album were filled ONLY with 'Heal the World' type songs, I would probably want to puke!

Invincible? :lol:

Here's the thing, this is what I'm talking about when referring to superiority complexes, small minded, slanted views....

This can be applied to almost any other artist! We all gravitate towards other artists for different reasons. I've read so many who have been influenced and touched by Madonna's music. I am one of those people. I can't tell you how many times her music has gotten me through a tough time in my life. Please, stop with all the negativity and start representing the man whose forum you're posting at.

Such a shame.

Practice what you preach! I'm not the one promoting my fav. artist on an MJ site :oops:

If you have heard her albums and know the music then you're opinion is just as relevant as anyone elses. You don't have to have all her music videos, singles, and been listening to her for 20 years.

I can use the same logic against them when it comes to Madonna. I have been a lifelong fan who owns EVERYTHING Madonna related but yet for whatever reason they always are more "right" and know "more" than me when it's clear they haven't listened to all her albums all the way through.

Superiority complexes, I'm tellin' ya. For some reason what they say goes no matter how illogical and one sided it is.

You're not understanding it. Let's flip the script.

I like a few of Madonna's songs: Take A Bow, Human Nature, Vogue, Into The Groove, and a few others. But I don't understand the songs like you understand them cuz you've been listening to them for years. You've had time to analyze and dissect the songs moreso than I have. I can also go as far as saying all Madonna does is pop and dance music. But you know that's not true cuz you know more about Madonna than I do. You see why the "superiority complex" ideology you're serving has merit?:doh:

Are you seeing it now?

I don't mind criticism, but when you're criticizing, the least you can be is informed and have a well formulated opinion. Don't just spew out words and opinions that are based on the masses.

If you've heard the album, then you're informed enough and entitled to have an opinion on it. Period. Each album should stand on its own. You can't stop someone from criticizing 20 Y.O, Discipline or Damita Jo just because her Rhythm nation album is fab. That's not the way it works.

Yep, exactly. I've seen invincible dragged through the mud, but the best way for me to defend it is to point out the songs that I love like BOD, Unbreakable, HCW, WH... even I'll admit that 2000 watts is horrid :puke:

If you've heard the album, then you're informed enough and entitled to have an opinion on it. Period. Each album should stand on its own. You can't stop someone from criticizing 20 Y.O, Discipline or Damita Jo just because her Rhythm nation album is fab. That's not the way it works.

Name one artist whose current catalog holds up against their back catalog.

You're not understanding it. Let's flip the script.

I like a few of Madonna's songs: Take A Bow, Human Nature, Vogue, Into The Groove, and a few others. But I don't understand the songs like you understand them cuz you've been listening to them for years. You've had time to analyze and dissect the songs moreso than I have. I can also go as far as saying all Madonna does is pop and dance music. But you know that's not true cuz you know more about Madonna than I do. You see why the "superiority complex" ideology you're serving has merit?:doh:

Are you seeing it now?

Hun, everyone can interpret a song differently. :) There are MJ songs that I still feel that same way about since the first day I heard them, there are others where my opinion changes on them all the time. I hated 2000 watts 5 years ago, and I hate it today :lol:

Well that's hard for me to do because I don't know other artists' catalogs like I know Michael's and Janet's. You'll have to ask someone who knows the catalogs of other artists.. I usually dabble here and there with artists.

But again, you're missing the point. An album should stand on its own. I loved Madonna's COTDF album without knowing her back catalog. Actually it was the first Madonna album I listened to and I didn't have high expectations.. boy was I wrong :D

And uh... who's belittling Janet? :mello:

I must concur with Jona.

I can't believe you (Lonely 17) actually said you're superior to anyone who feels Janet is over doing the sex thing because well YOU own 14 albums. You can't see how that might come off as smug and patronizing?

Excuse those of us who see a difference from 'Let's Wait a while, before we go too far' to the likes of 'My hands wrapped around stroking up and down but nothing can compare to the warmth of my mouth' :s

You count the songs on the albums (and only the ones that *you* feel are sexually explicit -- but then obviously no one elses interpretations are valid seeing as you're superior and all) but you ignore how much her lyrical content has intensified in the songs over the years?

and to trueiopian, if you read my post properly you would see I said she's always had raunchiness to her. No one is disputing that so why are you both retaliating with this whole "WELL she's always been sexual so there!!" answer. Noone said she wasn't! I'm just saying she's getting a bit too explict for my liking and wish she would ease up. I don't see how that belittles her contribution to music? Talk about an over reaction :s

Oh and I've heard all the songs you listed. I wish she'd do more like them these days. Sue me

None :D

I think Janet on her worst day is better than most artists on a good day. It's just that her recent work is way below her. I'm sure it would work wonders for most "artists" out now.

^

Stop being so defensive. Most people are just giving out constructive criticisms. It's not ike they are attacking Janet as a person though I see some needs to give respect Janet respect as an artist as well.

Janet is a wonderful artist. She had a vision just like Mike. However, she needs to find that again... and hopefully she'll be back on track....

But I ain't gonna lie though, I've always like Michael better... :) LOLS! Obviously since I'm in a MJ fansite...)

None :D

I think Janet on her worst day is better than most artists on a good day. It's just that her recent work is way below her. I'm sure it would work wonders for most "artists" out now.

Ppl are so fickle. If Janet were to do another "Velvet Rope" type album, they'd complain "she already did this type of album." If Janet were still changing up her style/image/sound every album, they'd complain, "why is she trying to compete with the younger girls?"

Janet can never win with ppl. Either she's too fat, too thin, she's playing it too safe, she's trying to be too different, she's too short, she's too tall. This album isn't as good as Velvet Rope. She can never win with ppl.

Ppl are so fickle. If Janet were to do another "Velvet Rope" type album, they'd complain "she already did this type of album." If Janet were still changing up her style/image/sound every album, they'd complain, "why is she trying to compete with the younger girls?"

Janet can never win with ppl. Either she's too fat, too thin, she's playing it too safe, she's trying to be too different, she's too short, she's too tall. This album isn't as good as Velvet Rope. She can never win with ppl.

Yo! man... Gosh.... People do this with EVERY artist.

We are not singling out Janet... Please stay in topic...

Don't twist my words, I've already said why I don't like Damita Jo. Too much sex, the interludes are boring to the point where I skip them, most of the songs are just mediocre and on a whole I just don't think it's a very solid album.

And yes, the albums aren't as good as they used to be but that's not why I don't like them. Janet, RN and Control aren't as good as VR IMO but I still love them.

Sheesh..

I must concur with Jona.

I can't believe you (Lonely 17) actually said you're superior to anyone who feels Janet is over doing the sex thing because well YOU own 14 albums. You can't see how that might come off as smug and patronizing?

Excuse those of us who see a difference from 'Let's Wait a while, before we go too far' to the likes of 'My hands wrapped around stroking up and down but nothing can compare to the warmth of my mouth' :s

You count the songs on the albums (and only the ones that *you* feel are sexually explicit -- but then obviously no one elses interpretations are valid seeing as you're superior and all) but you ignore how much her lyrical content has intensified in the songs over the years?

and to trueiopian, if you read my post properly you would see I said she's always had raunchiness to her. No one is disputing that so why are you both retaliating with this whole "WELL she's always been sexual so there!!" answer. Noone said she wasn't! I'm just saying she's getting a bit too explict for my liking and wish she would ease up. I don't see how that belittles her contribution to music? Talk about an over reaction :s

Oh and I've heard all the songs you listed. I wish she'd do more like them these days. Sue me

Janet makes me music to how she's feeling at the moment. It wouldn't make sense to do RN1814 over and over again! She already addressed that she's just "having fun". If you want RN1814 or The Velvet Rope then just go listen to those albums. and like Janet said "Relax! It's just sex!" :rofl:

She's known for being sexual. It's amazing how Janet gets so much flack for singing about sex when we have artists like R.Kelly (who I adore) that sings about sex like no other! :lol:

Besides it seems like no one is ever satisfied with what Janet puts out. I remember reading an article from back in '89 when RN1814 was out. And people were gripping about Janet trying to "save the world" :rolleyes:

Don't twist my words, I've already said why I don't like Damita Jo. Too much sex, the interludes are boring to the point where I skip them, most of the songs are just mediocre and on a whole I just don't think it's a very solid album.

And yes, the albums aren't as good as they used to be but that's not why I don't like them. Janet, RN and Control aren't as good as VR IMO but I still love them.

Sheesh..

:lol:

What are your thoughts on Invincible?

Just wonderin....

Sheesh..

You said it no me lol. You said an album should stand on its own merit. But then earlier you compared them to her previous works lol.

Poor Janni! :(

She's perfect in my eyes :)

LMFAOOOOO!!!

People I swear!!! :lmao:

13zrfgk.gif

Back