Books you love or books you are reading now.

I'm reading Chicken soup for the cat & dog lover's soul. Most stories have me in tears.

Now:

41FZZEoMelL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Why-This-Worl...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312239262&sr=1-1

Benjamin Moser.... an American in love with Brazil. :wild: Wonderful book. :clapping:

I'm attempting to read a book an English prof. loaned me:

47712.jpg

I haven't even cracked it open yet--I've been putting it off for a while despite my interest in getting through it. I reckon I'm mainly focused on researching stuff right now, so I haven't much time for reading books. I dunno--my mind is scattered, really, and with my new job I have even less time for books. -sigh-

Been reading these

kafka-on-the-shore.medium.jpg

m%20poetica.jpg

Both are very good so far. :)

The second book is about Michael's music? And does it contain the usual goship filth?I've been trying to find books regarding MJ's work but the only books that i have find so far are about scandals. Ver disappointing.

The second book is about Michael's music? And does it contain the usual goship filth?I've been trying to find books regarding MJ's work but the only books that i have find so far are about scandals. Ver disappointing.

It's an ebook that analyzes his art, but it's much more than that. It goes deep into sociological and psychological perspectives. I can't exactly explain it, but it's worth reading and a positive book. I'll just say in some places it knocked my socks off. :)

It's an ebook that analyzes his art, but it's much more than that. It goes deep into sociological and psychological perspectives. I can't exactly explain it, but it's worth reading and a positive book. I'll just say in some places it knocked my socks off. :)

Thank you. I will try to get it.

I will have to scout around for that one as well--do you mind telling us where you found it?

Well, my reading list has been modified. Gomenasai, Herr Freud. I'm currently reading a topic which is of fascination to me.

514J5Y246AL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Although technically a self-help book, the work does contain a lot of actual information and hardly any Dr. Phil brand hogwash. What drives the desire for another to such extremes so as to turn seemingly average (and even successful) individuals into harassers, stalkers, even violent creatures--all to salvage the attachment to one person?

To the layperson, "love" may seem to be the force responsible for all this chaos. Clearly, the obsessor "loves" so much that he cannot contain himself for his feelings towards his beloved, that he must, at all costs, win him/her over or else perish in the effort for the sake of romance. This is, of course, an erroneous misconception both obsessors and the unqualified people who observe them have. Obsessive "love" has little to do with the reproduction-encouraging chemical reaction we deem "love," and more to do with an effort on the obsessor's behalf to heal a damaged bond with a physically or emotionally unavailable parent.

Yes, it seems odd that the obsessor would project his childhood aspirations unto a complete stranger, but this is exactly what happens on a subconscious level. We are the sort of animal who picks up behaviour from the example set forth by others--we are social animals, and the first "social" group we are ever a part of is undoubtedly one's family--specifically, one in direct connection with mother and father. We pick up our attitudes towards men and women, and towards human attachments on the reproductive scale, by observing the interactions between our parents, and between them and ourselves.

On a "romantic" sense--we pick up how men and women act by watching our parents in the grand stage of childhood family life. This is not equivalent to Freud's Oedipus/Electra complexes--as these do not involve sexual fantasies of mother/father--they are instead role models in what to look for outside of that relationship, as the ultimate goal of parenthood is eventual separation from the parents and independence in the outer world. An example of this may be, say, a woman whose father was physically or emotionally absent from her life may obsess over a man who is also physically or emotionally aloof in regards to her--or else, she may fear this occurring as childhood memories of her father's abandonment flood her unconscious, prompting her to preemptively take measures against a perceived abandonment on her lover's part (despite no evidence existing of his intentions to do this). In turn, her smothering hold on him prompts him to alienate himself from her--so that her fear becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, this time due to her own actions instead of circumstances outside her control.

Similarly, we pick up our idea of how human relationships should be from our parents as well, as we try to recreate the bond we once had with our mother inside the womb and in our newborn years--the height of our human happiness at its most simplistic level. If, during childhood, our relationship with either mother or father is strained--if they are physically/emotionally/verbally abusive or negligent, we seek to fill the void with a fulfilling relationship elsewhere--the problem is, we have no idea what this healthy relationship is supposed to look like, knowing nothing but neglect, abandonment, and fear--we become overzealous in our attempts to preserve whatever extraneous relationship it is we have, and it becomes like water slipping from a thirsty man's hands--despite our efforts,nay, because of them, it slips all the same, reopening the childhood wounds we suffered as children--but as adults, powerful beings with abilities to do more than just keep mum and weep silently to ourselves in a corner, we can try to save this projected attachment through pursuit--and in the valiant effort to rekindle a dead relationship using pursuit/power tactics, we become different beings--obsessive driver-bys, callers, stalkers, etc. It is because of the strength of the need for that healthy attachment deviated in childhood that obsessive lovers do the things they do, and go to the extreme measures they go.

Other factors which can shape someone to become an obsessor:

-Genetic predisposition (personality traits)
-Chemical imbalance in the brain (mood disorders)
-relationships with siblings
-relationships with childhood "peers"
-youthful romantic experiences (or lack thereof)

Genetic predisposition towards a certain sort of personality and chemical imbalances in the brain which can cause mood disorders (i.e. depression) obviously set an important foundation for what can later become an obsessive personality. However, they are not the sole factors, outside of a failed connection with one's parent figures, which can trigger this sort of thing. Failing the relationship with one's parents, if the relationship with siblings is also one which is unhealthy, the need for suitable human attachment is intensified and the deviance from achieving it in a fulfilling manner is further expanded. This same concept applies to relationships with other children--their rejection further "validates" the pre-obsessor's already existing feelings of being unwanted, unloved, abandoned, unlovable, etc. Similarly, stormy romantic relationships (or attempts at them), especially in the formative adolescent years, which either mirror those witnessed among parental units during childhood, or else become deviant on their own either through joint fault or over the obsessor's desire to fulfill his needs, add more to the already filled-to-the-brim feelings of rejection, etc. so that the self becomes desperate to make a suitable connection, and understandably so--as it equates "romantic" love with the sort of attachment missed during childhood years, and the finding of said attachment becomes a matter of survival of the self.

Overall, it has been a fascinating read. I'm not yet entirely finished with it. It does shed much-needed light on a little-understood psychological problem. I greatly recommend this book. I got it yesterday afternoon, and I stayed up reading it for hours.

Last edited:
Been reading these

kafka-on-the-shore.medium.jpg

m poetica.jpg

Both are very good so far. :)

hahaha...Sweet! The second one was 'Recommended For You' on my Kindle...So I'll get it! :D

Right now I'm reading some books on spirituality and philosophy...I'm also reading 'The Mind at Night: The New Science of How and Why We Dream' ...I'm also going to start reading Sun Tzu - Art of War, and I'll probably read after that (again lol), 'Memoirs of a Geisha'

Last edited:
The Long Walk by Stephen King.
I know, King again. I like the way he can write stories that are so completely different. This one is part of my favorite collection : how ordinary people react in extraordinary situations. It's an easy read and so well written you feel the pain and exhaustion of the walkers. And then you have the psychological aspect, the mind taking over (or not), the relation to death, the reaction of society. A must read.

Ben;3450769 said:
The Long Walk by Stephen King.
I know, King again. I like the way he can write stories that are so completely different. This one is part of my favorite collection : how ordinary people react in extraordinary situations. It's an easy read and so well written you feel the pain and exhaustion of the walkers. And then you have the psychological aspect, the mind taking over (or not), the relation to death, the reaction of society. A must read.
I have read it several times.
Somehow it reminds me of the society today, if you´re not good enough society don´t need you and wants to get rid of you.

Yeah, absolutely. The way he describes the reaction of the Crowd, turning it into some kind of bloodthirsty monster, the acceptation of this game which is basically torture. I like when he focuses on horrifying details of what seems to be daily life. It's much scarier.

I know why the caged bird sings, is an absolute favorite of mine. Unfortunately, my copy was loaned to a collegue in my previous office, never to be returned.

I love this thread...! I absolutely love to read and I love going back and seeing what everyone is reading or recommending...I have a Kindle, so if something someone says catches my eye, then I download the book right on the spot ;)

I love this thread...! I absolutely love to read and I love going back and seeing what everyone is reading or recommending...I have a Kindle, so if something someone says catches my eye, then I download the book right on the spot ;)

Oh yes I love having a Kindle. Instant book. :D

I'm currently reading Killing Willis by Todd Bridges (autobiography). I bought it on Amazon and it arrived today.

51ztoXjD8nL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm about 90 pages in and it is amazing. Todd is brutally honest about his drug addiction that almost ended his life, racism, his sexual abuse and struggle to find his sexuality, his abusive relationship with his father... I'll not give any more away in case anyone decides to pick it up. From what I have read so far, it is a miracle that Todd Bridges is alive today and Todd explains throughout the book that he has only one person to thank - God.

It was years ago I read Richard Adams books but they are worth reading.
"Watership Down"a story about rabbits
"The plague dogs" 2 dogs escape from a research station.The test they did on one of the dogs was to throw him in the waterpool and he wasn´t allowed to get up.When he started to sink they took him up and measured how long time it took before he gave up.The test was made over and over again to see if the dog could make it some more minutes before he gave up.No wonder the poor dog was afraid of water.
That´s in the beginning of the book.
You really feel for these dogs.

He has written other books too.

Currently reading Blue-eyed Son:The Story of an Adoption by Nicky Cambell.

I just started Agatha Christie's (my favourite author next to Rowling) Sparkling Cyanide. Next one in line is Rosemary's Baby.

I'm in a bit of a mood for psychology material as of late, so I haven't been reading actual books. Instead, I've been reading a plethora of articles and journals about various things having to do with the human mind. However--books are not excluded at all. I'm about to read The Uses of Enchantment by Bruno Bettelheim.

7238022.jpg

Currently reading Game of Thrones: Book 2 - Clash of Kings

enjoying it immensely ...can't wait until season 2 of the HBO series starts

Back