Is Michael the last of the megastars?

Not having read all of this thread I can say this:
The ninety-seventies and eighties were THE age of the first and last global superstars. There was one medium (television), and, also a very important factor, the US was the undenied leading power of the (Western) world. This is the soil on which Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, Madonna and a very few others grew.
Today, there is too much diversification, too much of "this and that and the other". Culture in general has changed too much in order for something along the lines of "Micheal Jackson in the eighties" to reappear any time soon.
The very feel and effect of MJ live on stage in, say, '84 or '88 is non-reproducable today with the flood of internet-footage and immersion in "multemedia" we all live in today.
Ever seen a concert-stage of any of the "greats" today? It's a multimedia firing-station with dozens of screens, movies being played, far too much stuff going on, sometimes its hard to make out the artist. Seems they're feeling they have to compete with all the other sights and sounds daily around us, and instead of giving us the opposite - artist, stage, live-performance - they try to recreate that multimedia-immersion, hence, the loss of "presence" on stage, resulting in anything but a "live" performance.
Unfortunately, Michael himself was going in this direction himself, just compare the concert-stages from Bad to Dangerous to History. The epitome of a megastar's live performance? Billie Jean on the Bad tour.
Again culture and technology have moved in directions that don't foster at all what we would associate with a "megastar". Just my two pennies' worth, of course.

Some people look like stars, and then some people are stars. Michael is definitely a mega-star.

It took a lot for him to get to the level that he's on, and one thing he did not do is take shortcuts on his way there. He worked very hard almost his entire life.

In order to get to where he is, they will have to have a very high tolerance level, because Michael's tolerance level is out of this world. That man can handle a lot.

Maybe one day someone will come along and do what he's done, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon.

Furthermore, Michael likes to study music as well as study people. Most of these artists these days don't do this. They're just looking for the money. Michael's looking to put out music of quality that truly reaches the souls of the masses in a positive way.

Gotta love him...

Last edited:
It goes like this.. (FOR ME)

There are celebs.. ( Paris Hilton, Linsey Lohan, etc........)

There are stars.. (Usher, Britney Spears, etc.........)

There are big stars.. (Prince, Madonna, etc.......)

There are megastars... (Elvis, Beatles, etc...........)

Then there is... MICHAEL JACKSON..

AGREE!!!

i dont think anyone can ever be like Michael Jackson..

and i think he is the last of the Megastars..

no one else comes close..

he is in a different level

and HE STANDS THERE ALONE

I mean I can see people reaching the hights of Prince. Not in sales because the sales game is different today, but in overall fame..

But that is the HIGHEST I think some1 can reach.. It's a complete different industry..

Even with ALL of Michaels talent, he would not be as HIGH as he is today if it were not for the timeing of everything..

* Breaking race barriers
* Re-defining videos
* MTV and MJ road each other to glory

What makes Michael in a league of his own is he DEFINED the MTV age.. He layed out the playing field..

Now that the game is set, others are just playing that field.. But it was Michael that created the game.. He took indorsment deals to a new level, PR work... Just EVERYTHING, he set the standard.. That along with his untouchable talent is what puts him on a class on his own..

Just like there will never be any wrestler bigger than HULK HOGAN
no sportsman bigger than Michael Jordan..

What these people did is re-invent the way the industry worked..

Michael in an even larger way than the Jordan and Hulk because for them the game was all ready set up, they took the game higher.. Michael CREATED the game of the music industry..

The music industry is what it is today BECAUSE of Michael Jackson.

Some people don't see it.. Not just the fact people use his styling in music, and music videos etc..

Everything is connected. Because of MJ taking things in the direction he did, so many things (non MJ related) resulted in that..

The way much TV programming works, the way promotion works in companies and careers, he inovated much more than JUST the music and dance..

People always say 'Michael Jackson set the bar soo high'.. It's not about that, it's the fact everyone is working in Michaels path.. It's MICHAELS bar, not "the" bar. and that playing field between the ground and that bar, is much innovated and created by Michael.. They are playing on HIS field.

nobody and I mean nobody Black, White,Green, Brown, Grape,etc... has been where Michael Jackson has been when you say Mega Star. One of a Kind and I can't see anyone else reaching that kind of heights.

you have Superstars, stars,etc... but MJ went where no one else has and beyond.

nobody and I mean nobody Black, White,Green, Brown, Grape,etc... has been where Michael Jackson has been when you say Mega Star. One of a Kind and I can't see anyone else reaching that kind of heights.

I agree. Michael jackson was elevated to presidential status by heads of statem some even putting him on their dollar bills. He was given the right royal treatment and jkust about every head of sate wanted to be seen with him.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcws1BpAA0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0PTR7Yrh3o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVCZEFSZzUE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EspSJ-ETd50&feature=related

I mean I can see people reaching the hights of Prince. Not in sales because the sales game is different today, but in overall fame..

But that is the HIGHEST I think some1 can reach.. It's a complete different industry..

Even with ALL of Michaels talent, he would not be as HIGH as he is today if it were not for the timeing of everything..

* Breaking race barriers
* Re-defining videos
* MTV and MJ road each other to glory

What makes Michael in a league of his own is he DEFINED the MTV age.. He layed out the playing field..

Now that the game is set, others are just playing that field.. But it was Michael that created the game.. He took indorsment deals to a new level, PR work... Just EVERYTHING, he set the standard.. That along with his untouchable talent is what puts him on a class on his own..

Just like there will never be any wrestler bigger than HULK HOGAN
no sportsman bigger than Michael Jordan..

What these people did is re-invent the way the industry worked..

Michael in an even larger way than the Jordan and Hulk because for them the game was all ready set up, they took the game higher.. Michael CREATED the game of the music industry..

The music industry is what it is today BECAUSE of Michael Jackson.

Some people don't see it.. Not just the fact people use his styling in music, and music videos etc..

Everything is connected. Because of MJ taking things in the direction he did, so many things (non MJ related) resulted in that..

The way much TV programming works, the way promotion works in companies and careers, he inovated much more than JUST the music and dance..

People always say 'Michael Jackson set the bar soo high'.. It's not about that, it's the fact everyone is working in Michaels path.. It's MICHAELS bar, not "the" bar. and that playing field between the ground and that bar, is much innovated and created by Michael.. They are playing on HIS field.

Come down pleas!!!...music is what it is today becase of many talanted people...including MJ.
It is not like everone is copying him. many people dont even like his style

I completely agree with that. :D He's on a level all to himself and most definitely one of the last megastars. Looks like no one after the group of megastars that came out of the 80's (MJ/Madonna/Prince, etc.) have really survived or stayed relevant or as newsworthy. Almost everyone from the 90's on have just faded away into obscurity. :unsure:

YOU GUYS FORGOT ABOUT TUPAC SHAKUR. Tupac acomplished alot for only six years in the bussiness. 2pac to had a big impact on pop culture and the way people livided to day. tupac is in a league of his own. they are people that know him in certain countries where most rappers aren't even talked about.

'come down'????

I think you are just under estimating the change Michel had on our culture..

MTV in itself would have not been the dominant form of entertainment it would be without Michael.. they road each other to glory..

There would not be an 'MTV age'.. That term came AFTER the sucess and change Michael and MTV took off together..

It was a team.. MJ would not be MJ without MTV, and MTV would not be MTV without MJ..

and it's true that people are playing on his field..

He was the FIRST in many things.. never before was there indorsement deals to that level, promotion of that level..

He started that.. Now that is the roll everyone aimes for..

MJ did end up where he is by CHANCE..

That is the reason why he is so big.. It's not 100% the music.. (which is great) but it is the impact he had on the entertaiment industry that made him the LARGEST.

'come down'????

I think you are just under estimating the change Michel had on our culture..

MTV in itself would have not been the dominant form of entertainment it would be without Michael.. they road each other to glory..

There would not be an 'MTV age'.. That term came AFTER the sucess and change Michael and MTV took off together..

It was a team.. MJ would not be MJ without MTV, and MTV would not be MTV without MJ..

and it's true that people are playing on his field..

He was the FIRST in many things.. never before was there indorsement deals to that level, promotion of that level..

He started that.. Now that is the roll everyone aimes for..

MJ did end up where he is by CHANCE..

That is the reason why he is so big.. It's not 100% the music.. (which is great) but it is the impact he had on the entertaiment industry that made him the LARGEST.

Yes:punk:agreed!

It goes like this.. (FOR ME)

There are celebs.. ( Paris Hilton, Linsey Lohan, etc........)

There are stars.. (Usher, Britney Spears, etc.........)

There are big stars.. (Prince, Madonna, etc.......)

There are megastars... (Elvis, Beatles, etc...........)

Then there is... MICHAEL JACKSON..

I completely agree with that

I think the last true "mania" the world saw was the Spice Girls mania of the late 90's...

"mania" like michael ? i think i don't have the same definition of mania .

To me "mania " is when thousand and thousand people came to the airport to welwome you like MIchael ;

-when thousand and thousand people in the crowd are crying and fainting massively like MJ
-When thousand and thousand people even the non-fans are in streets in the crowd running after your car , hitting your window , hanging on your car being themself in jeopardise like mj.
-When thousand and thousand Africans (100 000 ) wait after you at the airport , hopping to touch just one of your hair like mj .
-When almost all the officials dream to meet you , receive you like a God or a king like MJ
-When you are crown as the KING of an african village like MJ .
-When very sometimes they have to send thousand of policemen to contend the crowd like MJ.
-When just 1 of your interview draws 100 million people in front their television making the 4th best televison rate of ALL time like MJ .

And more another unbelievable things that Madonna , Prince or the Spice girl have never never experienced .

Maybe somebody can give images and compare or ather suggestions .

Anyway to me that's the definition of a MEGA-MEGA star and the mania , the only people i can say they were at this level were the Beatles that's all .

I have been to 4 mj conserts 2 dangerus and 2 history. and nobody was screaming. the clips we see on his conserts on youtube og the bucharesti consert are all edited.
there was actually more screaming and crazyness at bruse springsten.

not that screaming is a quality sign. but you bouth it up

have been to 4 mj conserts 2 dangerus and 2 history. and nobody was screaming

were were you sat,stood because that is totally unbelievable unless you were stood near the back with ppl who wouldnt really call themselves fans. be in the pit with those "hardcore" who have qued for 12 plus hours and it is very different. footage of concerts show that. as someone whos worked security at springsteen gigs they are a stroll as they are full of middle aged ppl. hardly pulling ppl over the barrier all night lol

Last edited:
I have been to 4 mj conserts 2 dangerus and 2 history. and nobody was screaming. the clips we see on his conserts on youtube og the bucharesti consert are all edited.

lol I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I AM READING!!! , eveybody know that screaming and fainting in Jackson's concerts is just so much banal/normal....oh yes to you the images were invented lol
I was also in that concerts and well ...i saw alot of faints and cries and screams ,stop lying to try to prouve your statement .

To me yes it means a lot of things , i mean it is not only 1 person or 2 but thousand and thousand , adult like chidren ,handicaped people , girls like men (not only girls like for the boys bands man) yeah...reagarding this it is a sign of quality .

Besides its the only thing you note from my post because you cannot contest the others .

Last edited:

Can you ever post something positive, for a change? Instead of ridiculously as above. Just a question. If not, then don't be posting again.

its obvioust clips were edited in for the bucharest concert the bad editing tells you that. but to say screaming etc doesnt happen at mj gigs is plain stupid and to say theres more at a bruce gig is the best joke ive heard in years. to say you went to a mj concerts and never saw ppl going crazy means you were either nowhere near the front or are blantently lieing to try and prove your point

Did you not see the wma in London 2006? Have you seen the videos I posted above, You may not have seen it because you were not looking. But if you do look you will see screaming everywhere, not just in an MJ concert.

Last edited:

Sorry but i must add that this post is THE JOKE OF THE YEAR .

Some people look like stars, and then some people are stars. Michael is definitely a mega-star.

It took a lot for him to get to the level that he's on, and one thing he did not do is take shortcuts on his way there. He worked very hard almost his entire life.

In order to get to where he is, they will have to have a very high tolerance level, because Michael's tolerance level is out of this world. That man can handle a lot.

Maybe one day someone will come along and do what he's done, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon.

Furthermore, Michael likes to study music as well as study people. Most of these artists these days don't do this. They're just looking for the money. Michael's looking to put out music of quality that truly reaches the souls of the masses in a positive way.

Gotta love him...
yes, I don't know of any artist who would record 100+ songs for an album and I don't see any artists who is able to handle the hardships he'd been through and the pressure he'd been enduring.

Originally Posted by WilliamJean
I think the last true "mania" the world saw was the Spice Girls mania of the late 90's...
Speaking of mania, Michael Jackson mania is the maniast of the maniast, no one not even Elvis presley or the Beatles came close to him. ask the older generation who has been through the different mania and they will tell you the same thing.
spice girls? lol

Last edited:
yes there is some screaming...but not more than other conserts. it think it is becase people want to stand still and look at him. than actually scream. Im not saying it is a bad thing. but the vhis consert videos is very edited.

here is how it actually is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUbR6kNmTmg&feature=related

Grate performance anyway!!!

Why are you talking about the Bucharest one only ? there are lot and lot of other concerts .
and it is not like every part of the Bucharest concert were edited , only 3 parts guy but and anyway most of images where you see people crying aand fainting are from the Bucharest moreover the parts which has been edited are from other michael Jackson's concerts where people are crying and fainting , i mean nothing has been invented the crazyness in michael Jackson's concerts is just the reality if not where do you think those images come from ?? Bruce Springted concerts ? ? lol .

And it doesn't deal only with the concerts but also out of the concerts , at airports , in front of his hotels etc...can you deny it lol ?? that's michael Jackson's fever guy .

oh sorry for the english .

Back