looks(listens) like kanye's autotune failed him

Matter of opinion I guess. I think 808's is one of the best uses of auto-tune I've heard.

Matter of opinion I guess. I think 808's is one of the best uses of auto-tune I've heard.

i think so, too. again, like u said..keywords..'matter of opinion'. i like tpain's use of the device. to each their own. lol..it's a big world out there, and both artists are successful enough to prove it. lol

Kanye is a brilliant rapper and producer. I really don't understand why he's trying to sing all of a sudden. Kanye always claims to be an innovater but he is straight up jacking T-pains style here. T-pain is the hip-hop singer/auto-tune abuser act. He abonded his killer punch lines in rap verses to copy a mediocre act like T-pain?! Or mayb Kanye saw that what T-pain was doing actually worked commercialy and thought that if HE (The great Kanye West) does it, He would blow up eve more.

Kanye is a brilliant rapper and producer. I really don't understand why he's trying to sing all of a sudden. Kanye always claims to be an innovater but he is straight up jacking T-pains style here. T-pain is the hip-hop singer/auto-tune abuser act. He abonded his killer punch lines in rap verses to copy a mediocre act like T-pain?! Or mayb Kanye saw that what T-pain was doing actually worked commercialy and thought that if HE (The great Kanye West) does it, He would blow up eve more.

ahh capitalism.:D

2 variables with auto-tune from what i remember.

The amount of modulation and how out of pitch the voice... Kanye West may sing it that way( not saying he's a great singer) to get the effect he is after for the song.

uhhh kanye isnt a singer guys, he is simply trying to bring a different sound to the rap genre, lay off would ya, he is rappin in these songs, although it sounds like singing

I thought Daft Punk uses a talkbox or whatever it's called? Cause DP sounds nothing like those who use the autotune.

Also, Cher's autotune was awesome.

I don't think Kanye is sophisticated enough as a vocalist to know how to purposfully go off key, lol.

He can't sing. Why even try to say he can or defend him on that front. I can see saying he's a good rapper or a good producer (even though I don't really get that either), but don't try and say he can sing, because he can't. I mean, you have to have some standards.

it is all relative i agree.

but i so can't stand t-pain lil wayne and kanye for that bloody auto-tune.

if there was some law about it, i'd limit auto-tune to dance music only. not hip-hop.

At least Cher can sing. She was truly using it as an effect, not because she needed to.

yeah..but, in the end, it's just gotta work, no matter what was behind the making of it. and for me, Cher's just didn't work.

it's like saying just because Christina Aguilera can sing, it doesn't mean that i'll like her singing if she oversings.

it is all relative i agree.

but i so can't stand t-pain lil wayne and kanye for that bloody auto-tune.

if there was some law about it, i'd limit auto-tune to dance music only. not hip-hop.

lol..i'm glad ur not a lawmaker. variety is the spice of life. and autotune turned some pop into hip hop..and it's more suited to hip hop than it is to dance. hip hop has more color to it, and autotune suits it well. dance is mono..so..to add more mono to mono would be so damn monotonous. it would be disgusting. can't say that there can't be exceptions, but generally, that's what i've experienced. IMO

Last edited:
At least Cher can sing. She was truly using it as an effect, not because she needed to.

Kanye doesn't need to either. He used it as an effect too. Kanye can rap (a lot better than most, in my opinion... ever listen to southern rap? It may give you a new appreciation for Kanye's rapping). He's done three studio albums which have done great sales and he decided to use auto-tune for a pop-oriented Hip-Hop album (and it also is his first to not contain a parental advisory label... he's crossing over).

And as I've mentioned, Kanye has both rapped and done what I guess could be called rap-singing in other performances and he's sounded like he does on album. I don't know if I'd call it "singing", but I think it takes talent to be able to do his style of rapping live. I'm not talking about lyrical content, I'm talking about how he uses his voice... rapping in tune, in pitch, etc...

Auto-tune itself really doesn't make a person sound good. It adds an effect to the voice. If someone sounds like crap and sings with auto-tune, it will sound like crap with an auto-tune effect.

Kanye could have done all the songs on 808s without auto-tune and they would have retained the same sound almost entirely, just without some of the fluctuation auto-tune offers. If he can't "sing", as you put it, then he doesn't need auto-tune to "not sing". He is using it as an effect on his style just as Cher and R. Kelly use it as an effect on theirs.

It doesn't make them sound good, I never said it did, but it covers their voice entirely when they use it to the extent they do, so you can't actually hear the monotone and flatness of their voice.

Kanye doesn't need to either. He used it as an effect too. Kanye can rap (a lot better than most, in my opinion... ever listen to southern rap? It may give you a new appreciation for Kanye's rapping). He's done three studio albums which have done great sales and he decided to use auto-tune for a pop-oriented Hip-Hop album (and it also is his first to not contain a parental advisory label... he's crossing over).

And as I've mentioned, Kanye has both rapped and done what I guess could be called rap-singing in other performances and he's sounded like he does on album. I don't know if I'd call it "singing", but I think it takes talent to be able to do his style of rapping live. I'm not talking about lyrical content, I'm talking about how he uses his voice... rapping in tune, in pitch, etc...

i understand what u mean by the bolded. don't worry about wbss21. lol *runs*

Auto-tune itself really doesn't make a person sound good. It adds an effect to the voice. If someone sounds like crap and sings with auto-tune, it will sound like crap with an auto-tune effect.

Kanye could have done all the songs on 808s without auto-tune and they would have retained the same sound almost entirely, just without some of the fluctuation auto-tune offers. If he can't "sing", as you put it, then he doesn't need auto-tune to "not sing". He is using it as an effect on his style just as Cher and R. Kelly use it as an effect on theirs.

so are u saying that, according to the bolded, you heard t pain without autotune, and thought he could 'sing'?

I saw that mess on SNL and let me tell you, Kanye needs to go back to rapping. He was seriously playing himself.

so are u saying that, according to the bolded, you heard t pain without autotune, and thought he could 'sing'?

T-Pain actually has a decent voice without auto-tune. Nothing that would win him any awards, but the kind that sounds pleasant if he performed hymns at church or something like that. He can sing, without the quotes.

Back