Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

Or maybe as its something they had to do to appease landis and his lawsuit they have done what they have had to do but wont bother to do anything else? Pretty pointless putting out a dvd release when so few people have the ability to watch it in their own home. Worth seeing it on the big screen only probably

Or maybe as its something they had to do to appease landis and his lawsuit they have done what they have had to do but wont bother to do anything else? Pretty pointless putting out a dvd release when so few people have the ability to watch it in their own home. Worth seeing it on the big screen only probably

People could watch it without 3D. Most people would buy it because of HD not 3D.

some people may be right though, I doubt there will be a DVD release because this remastered version of Thriller is meant to be seen at least in 1080p so I'm 99% sure there will be a Blu ray release. but it's weird they still haven't announced anything regarding Thriller 35...

The engineer on Thriller 3D confirmed nothing was changed. Thanks to Respect77 for gathering these tweets.
Nessi's response is still somewhat confusing. He says nothing was changed to the music, but with that he seems to mean nothing was added or replaced (e.g. they didn't tack on a new synth or drum beat). In other words, the mix was made using the original multitracks only. But fans never said new elements were added in, they said certain elements were missing.

Nessi admits that he had to use the multitracks to piece together/recreate the video mix himself. This could very well explain why sound effects are missing - these were surely not part of the original multitracks and added on later when the stereo mix for the video was created. Thus, he may not have had access to those sounds.

What is odd, is that fans say other elements (e.g. guitar parts) are also missing. These would of course have been part of the multitracks and thus the only reason they would be missing, would be if Nessi decided to exclude them from the mix, or if he was sent an incomplete multitrack session.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I sure hope they have NOT changed the most iconic song to the most iconic musicvideo of all time...

The song is perfect.. - So why would they change it?

The picture was old and could be perfectet - I understand that... - But the music was, is and will forever be perfect...

People could watch it without 3D. Most people would buy it because of HD not 3D.

You need '3d glasses' to see 3d, so I'm not sure what you mean about watching it 'without 3d'???? You can't see much without the glasses.......

You need '3d glasses' to see 3d, so I'm not sure what you mean about watching it 'without 3d'???? You can't see much without the glasses.......
There are Blu-Rays that have both normal and 3D versions. Also they could put the normal version on a separate disc. They wouldn't release it as 3D only.

I think it may be possible that Thriller 3d will be released on blue ray with the animated cartoon after it airs.

technicaly that's not true. you can watch anamorphic horizontal stereo without glasses to get 3D depth

technicaly that's not true. you can watch anamorphic horizontal stereo without glasses to get 3D depth

Well, I'm not a technical person at all, but I did see a screening and I took my glasses off to see what the picture was like without them....and in the heavily '3D sections' everything was blurred...... So maybe the screenings were not in anamorphic horizontal stereo?

Well, I'm not a technical person at all, but I did see a screening and I took my glasses off to see what the picture was like without them....and in the heavily '3D sections' everything was blurred...... So maybe the screenings were not in anamorphic horizontal stereo?

ofcource not. anamorphic horizontal is for home 3D release. Cinema theaters using polarized projection

Dudex, please provide a link to a TV that provides that functionality. ;)

i hope while they was working with negatives, they decided to erase studio light from some frames. you can see one when werewolf is chasing the girl, and some sets of light when MJ and the girl passing near the graveyard.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I haven't posted here in a few years, but been keeping an eye on this thread.

**I'll try not to spoil, but don't read if you're going to a fan screening**
I went to the screening in Sydney, Australia (Event Cinemas Bondi Junction).

We got a bag on the way in with t-shirt, tattoo and CD. Waiting on each seat was a bottle of water, a box of popcorn and a glasses case with 3D MJ aviator glasses. It was a nice touch.

They started by playing a world premiere new remix of Thriller by Steve Aoki. I don't know if it's been announced, but it sounded good. A bit dubstep-ish, but fresh and fun.
EDIt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0RyiTp8gSA

They introduced Thriller 3D saying there were a couple of problems along the way (I assume alluding to the speaker issues at past screenings) but sung it's praises and thanked all who made it possible.
I have a good ear, and to me it sounded perfect with all elements there. Sounds from the original video mix (horror movie music, "see you next Wednesday", footsteps, graves opening FX etc) all seem to be there, lovingly matched to the original. Sections of the song that were extended/restructured for the original video all seem to be in the right spots. The subwoofer is used well to punctuate MJ first turning into the werewolf and startle you towards the end.I honestly don't think you guys have anything to worry about. The mix sounds great.

The picture looks stunning, crisp and deep, and having it in 16:9 widescreen makes the dance scenes more amazing and lets you appreciate the composition and framing more. It's like watching something you've seen a million times with fresh eyes. It's really good.

After that they showed:
Dirty Diana
Leave Me Alone
Scream,
BOTDF (Wyclef mix)
Torture (brought down the room a bit)
Ghosts full movie (4:3, not restored). Still awesome on the big screen, since I won tickets to the premiere MJ attended at George Street as a kid. Wish they'd restore that next. Pretty sure it was a 35mm reel in widescreen back then.

Then there was an afterparty with a DJ, but I didn't hang around.
It was a really fun night, and nice to applaud and relive memories with an audience of fans. I hope more fans around the world get to go to these, and that Thriller 3D gets released in some form.

Thanks guys. Hope I didn't spoil anything.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I haven't posted here in a few years, but been keeping an eye on this thread.

**I'll try not to spoil, but don't read if you're going to a fan screening**
I went to the screening in Sydney, Australia (Event Cinemas Bondi Junction).

We got a bag on the way in with t-shirt, tattoo and CD. Waiting on each seat was a bottle of water, a box of popcorn and a glasses case with 3D MJ aviator glasses. It was a nice touch.

They started by playing a world premiere new remix of Thriller by Steve Aoki. I don't know if it's been announced, but it sounded good. A bit dubstep-ish, but fresh and fun.

They introduced Thriller 3D saying there were a couple of problems along the way (I assume alluding to the speaker issues at past screenings) but sung it's praises and thanked all who made it possible.
I have a good ear, and to me it sounded perfect with all elements there. Sounds from the original video mix (horror movie music, "see you next Wednesday", footsteps, graves opening FX etc) all seem to be there, lovingly matched to the original. Sections of the song that were extended/restructured for the original video all seem to be in the right spots. The subwoofer is used well to punctuate MJ first turning into the werewolf and startle you towards the end.I honestly don't think you guys have anything to worry about. The mix sounds great.

The picture looks stunning, crisp and deep, and having it in 16:9 widescreen makes the dance scenes more amazing and lets you appreciate the composition and framing more. It's like watching something you've seen a million times with fresh eyes. It's really good.

After that they showed:
Dirty Diana
Leave Me Alone
Scream,
BOTDF (Wyclef mix)
Torture (brought down the room a bit)
Ghosts full movie (4:3, not restored). Still awesome on the big screen, since I won tickets to the premiere MJ attended at George Street as a kid. Wish they'd restore that next. Pretty sure it was a 35mm reel in widescreen back then.

Then there was an afterparty with a DJ, but I didn't hang around.
It was a really fun night, and nice to applaud and relive memories with an audience of fans. I hope more fans around the world get to go to these, and that Thriller 3D gets released in some form.

Thanks guys. Hope I didn't spoil anything.

Yay!!! Thank you for the wonderful review!!!

i hope while they was working with negatives, they decided to erase studio light from some frames. you can see one when werewolf is chasing the girl, and some sets of light when MJ and the girl passing near the graveyard.

this version of Thriller is cropped, compare it to any of the DVD versions out there and you will see they cropped the top and the bottom, indeed you get more image from the sides, but it still cropped, so the sets of light near the graveyard won't be seen.

So it seems like they left the film-grain intact (?)..... Was it noticeable when you had your 3D-glasses on? :0

you got to understand a thing, this video was scanned from the negative and enhanced by professionals. This is not an HD YouTube "remastered" video, so it won't look like a painting. I'm sure they removed some of the film grain but not too much, you can't really tell from that video, the grain you see is because of the phone recording itself.

Thanks...I always felt the dark scenes obscured the dance moves. This remastering helps a lot ...for one of the iconic dance films of all time!

Here's how it looked/sounded like in Sydney: https://streamable.com/r6djz

I saw that on Twitter and it has done a lot to allay my fears. The music sounds fine on this one. People are suggesting different audio was sent in...others are blaming the theatre in London...

I think it may be possible that Thriller 3d will be released on blue ray with the animated cartoon after it airs.

In the UK that would mean that the cartoon would go with a 15 certificate. The last time I researched this, the BBFC had reviewed Thriller in 2007 and had kept it's 15 certificate.

Im sure they degrained the master for the 3D version, so it is less annoying with the 3D glasses.

Here's how it looked/sounded like in Sydney: https://streamable.com/r6djz

Wow, that looks and sounds great!! I'd love to hear this in a proper theatre now.

While it'd never happen, imagine if the Estate paid a studio to play this in front of a film instead of 15 minutes of trailers? You're about to watch The Last Jedi, the biggest film of 2017 when BOOM! Thriller comes on!

Are you sure? Can you give a link? Branca was asked about it at Q&A and he was told not to answer. Maybe they just don't want to announce it yet.

This person i dont know how or where but said that branca said there wnt be any home relase of bluray or dvd for thiller 3 D

^ He only mentioned no DVD release as I recall.

I must say though, I'm slowly starting to lose my patience. If the Estate has any further plans with this reworked version, they should announce it like now.....
I've been waiting for Thriller 3D since 2014 and I don't wanna hear that I won't be able to watch it cuz they won't release it worlwide/on bluray :I

I know I'm whining but the whole thing just drives me nuts somehow..

This needs to be released to a further audience. I have to see this!!! (multiple times!!)

Is there any word of this getting a wide release? This should be coupled with The Making of Thriller and get a feature length theatre release.

Who owns the rights to "Thriller"?

Is it solely owned by the Estate or jointly with Sony? I know the ATV catalog was sold to Sony, but that didn't include Michael's work as far as I know.

Who else besides the Estate has a say in the possible distribution of "Thriller"? I know everyone wants to throw rocks at Branca, but perhaps he does not have final say in this matter?? Would Landis also have a say? I'm not being simpleminded, lol, I just don't always understand the inner workings of the MJ empire.

Perhaps a bit OT, but is John McClain still involved? Never hear much about him.

Back