moonstreets anything you need to know about London / The 02 thread

Hi moonstreet, great thread!!!
Would like to inquire you which of these hostel would you recommend?
Smart Russel Square
Palmers lodge
YHA london

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hey, hun. Does the O2 accept Visa and/or American Express cards for buying merchandise or anything there? Or do they need UK cash? Trying to figure out if I should get more cash converted for the O2. I suppose it'd be a good idea anyway even if they accept cards, since their systems could always go down, but I'm just wondering.

Also, I was wondering what restaurants are near the O2? Looking to eat SOMETHING while we're there. :p

Thanks! :D

Last edited:
I have a question about the Oyster card. Can 3 ppl use the same card? As in put like 50 pounds on i and use it for each person whenever we have to get on the train?
And also, we're staying there for 7 days, how much money should we put on it? if it's max 5.50 a day that would be 40 pounds per person? That's a lot...:no:

It's really not a lot if you use it a lot. You can't share the Oyster card.

I have a question about the Oyster card. Can 3 ppl use the same card? As in put like 50 pounds on i and use it for each person whenever we have to get on the train?
And also, we're staying there for 7 days, how much money should we put on it? if it's max 5.50 a day that would be 40 pounds per person? That's a lot...:no:

You'll be prosecuted for that if you get caught :) The £5.50 is from the moment you swipe the card to the end of your last journey that day I believe.... £5.50 for on person, not 3, that's like by one get two on the tube for free.

Moon told me a weekly pass costs £28 the other day. I was glad to hear that.

Hi Moonstreet, yet another question. This time about the travel costs. Me, my mon, sister and friend are staying 3 nights. We arrive on 22th August in the morning in Stansted airport and have to go to Bridport Place, Hoxton. We'll do some tourist spots (for example the Camden Market, Harrods) and go to the concert on the 24th and go home in the evening the next day. What kind of transport options are the best and can you recommend a weekly transport card? Thank you!

Hi moonstreet, great thread!!!
Would like to inquire you which of these hostel would you recommend?
Smart Russel Square
Palmers lodge
YHA london

Thanks!!
I had look at them online. Smart Russell Square, is very centrally located, in a tourist area, with good transport links to The O2 and is within walking distance of Londons main shopping street Oxford Street.

Palmers Lodge is not as centrally located, its not located in a tourist area but its still an ok part of London. This has a direct tube line straight to The O2 though, compared with Russel Square, where you have to change a few times.

There are many YHA london, you didnt say which one so I was unable to to find info about this.

Hey, hun. Does the O2 accept Visa and/or American Express cards for buying merchandise or anything there? Or do they need UK cash? Trying to figure out if I should get more cash converted for the O2. I suppose it'd be a good idea anyway even if they accept cards, since their systems could always go down, but I'm just wondering.

Also, I was wondering what restaurants are near the O2? Looking to eat SOMETHING while we're there. :p

Thanks! :D

Most places accept Visa cards, American Express is accepted but only in selected areas. I would suggest to mainly use VISA and cash, as your American Express might be refused in alot of places. A point to remember when using credit cards in UK /London, many places now have a chip and pin system. This is a card reader which is a hand held device located at the till point. You put your card in, accept the amount, and enter your pin code, the same one you would use at an ATM machine. If you dont have a pin code, there is still the option to sign for it, the old fashioned way, but be warned you might get a funny look and cashier might huff and puff! If this happens just smile sweetly and ignore them!

You can also use you cards at ATM machines located all over the place if you run out of cash. All machines have a list of banks / partners which which they accept, ie if you have a VISA card / Mastercard or your card has a LINK symbol.

There are many restaurants /places to eat at The O2 complex but most are more expensive than their other branches in central London. My advice is to eat before you get to The O2, or bring something with you and eat it in the main complex before you go into the arena, as they do a bag search and most food and drink will be taken from you.

There are two areas of food outlets, these ones are in the actual arena
http://www.theo2.co.uk/inside/bars-restaurants-inside-the-o2-arena.html

and these are in the main complex
http://www.theo2.co.uk/inside/bars-restaurants-in-entertainment-avenue.html

Do chippies still serve salt and vinegar or do the offer brown as well days? :tease:
I havnt checked recently, tomato ketchup all the way for me:smilerolleyes: will check out the local chippie for you though

No its not possible for more than 1 person to use a single oyster card. Each person must have their own card. If you are staying for 7 days I would advise each person to get a weekly / 7 day travel card for zones 1 and 2 (or whatever zones you need) for zone 1 and 2 it is £25.80. Thats much cheaper than using pay as you go

Most places accept Visa cards, American Express is accepted but only in selected areas. I would suggest to mainly use VISA and cash, as your American Express might be refused in alot of places. A point to remember when using credit cards in UK /London, many places now have a chip and pin system. This is a card reader which is a hand held device located at the till point. You put your card in, accept the amount, and enter your pin code, the same one you would use at an ATM machine. If you dont have a pin code, there is still the option to sign for it, the old fashioned way, but be warned you might get a funny look and cashier might huff and puff! If this happens just smile sweetly and ignore them!

You can also use you cards at ATM machines located all over the place if you run out of cash. All machines have a list of banks / partners which which they accept, ie if you have a VISA card / Mastercard or your card has a LINK symbol.

There are many restaurants /places to eat at The O2 complex but most are more expensive than their other branches in central London. My advice is to eat before you get to The O2, or bring something with you and eat it in the main complex before you go into the arena, as they do a bag search and most food and drink will be taken from you.

There are two areas of food outlets, these ones are in the actual arena
http://www.theo2.co.uk/inside/bars-restaurants-inside-the-o2-arena.html

and these are in the main complex
http://www.theo2.co.uk/inside/bars-restaurants-in-entertainment-avenue.html
Thanks for the info, dear. But what does the O2 in specific accept? I really don't want to carry around a huge sum of cash all the time and risk being mugged!

About the food... Please check your PM for more specific.

Hi Moonstreet, yet another question. This time about the travel costs. Me, my mon, sister and friend are staying 3 nights. We arrive on 22th August in the morning in Stansted airport and have to go to Bridport Place, Hoxton. We'll do some tourist spots (for example the Camden Market, Harrods) and go to the concert on the 24th and go home in the evening the next day. What kind of transport options are the best and can you recommend a weekly transport card? Thank you!

For you the best would be an oyster card with the pay as you go option. This is valid on all the public bus and tube network. I would budget approx £6 per day per person travel cost, which can be put on as 1 lump sum when you ariive in London. Oyster cards are available from all tube ticket offices

Heey Moonstreet!

When does Sale start. I'll be in London from 7th July and am ready to do some crazzzzzy shopping!

I hope you mean this cos London has some of the best shopping in the world. The main shopping street is called Oxford Street. This is a mile long street, divided in 2 by Regent Street, another main shopping Street, with Carnaby Street just off Regent Street. These streets are where the flagship stores of many well known brands are found, TOPSHOP, URBAN OUTFITTERS, MISS SELFRIDGE, PRIMARK, NEW LOOK, H & M, also department stores Debenhams, Marks and Spensers, BHS and House of Fraiser, shoe shops Sketchers, Barrets, SHUE etc and many other shops I cant remember.

Then there is http://uk.westfield.com/london/ Europes largest shopping centre which is about 10 minutes from Oxford street by tube on the Central line

Alos you have to vist the famous Camden markets in Camden. This are a maze of markets spread all over the main part of Camden, just north of Oxford street, and its a must do in London.

Thanks for the info, dear. But what does the O2 in specific accept? I really don't want to carry around a huge sum of cash all the time and risk being mugged!

About the food... Please check your PM for more specific.

I havent checked that yet, Im going to go around The O2 in a few days and check it out for you, Ive answered you pm :)

You'll be prosecuted for that if you get caught :) The £5.50 is from the moment you swipe the card to the end of your last journey that day I believe.... £5.50 for on person, not 3, that's like by one get two on the tube for free.

Moon told me a weekly pass costs £28 the other day. I was glad to hear that.

and this 5.50 pound is for all zones? for example my hostel is in zone 4, but i want to go to zone 1, i still pay 5.50 maximum?

and this 5.50 pound is for all zones? for example my hostel is in zone 4, but i want to go to zone 1, i still pay 5.50 maximum?

I have no idea *lol* only moon can answer that, I want to know too though :D

F
I havent checked that yet, Im going to go around The O2 in a few days and check it out for you, Ive answered you pm :)

*lmao* must be a Scottish/Edinburgh thing... it went right past you, girl! :rofl:

*lmao* must be a Scottish/Edinburgh thing... it went right past you, girl! :rofl:

the midget is confuzzled, need sleep!!:unsure:

Wow! You'd go there just to look for me? Thanks soooooo much!! xxxooo

well its not that far from me, I like being over there anyway and theres a new exhibition just opened I want to see. I'll take a notepad and write down as much info I can about the place and post it here for everyone.

Thanks, sweetie!! Can't wait to see what's going to be around my area. It'll help me better plan!!

Hi Moonstreet,
I wanted to know how far is Wembley Hotel from the O2 Arena?? That is one of the hotels within my price range, and from looking at the pictures it seems like a nice hotel.. My second choice is the Ramada in the Docklands (I think that is the location)....

the way pay as you go works, is that it charges you per journey, up to a maximum daily cap

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/9261.aspx

fares and caps

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/fares-and-tickets-zones1-6.pdf

thanks for the links :) i was reading them already but i am really confused about this oyster card. the link you told me show me different daily caps for tube, bus or tram. and to be honest, i didnt find the fare of 5.50 maximum a day...

i know i might go on your nerves, but maybe you could explain it to me again lol.

Heey moonstreet!

thanks for your previous answer to my question, but i still have another question, which is very imortant to me.:)

How old do you need to be to stay on a hotel on your own? I'm 17 right now and still will be 17 when I'm going to London. Do you need to be 18 to stay in a hotelroom on your own?

thanks

When I moved from NY to the UK I was on t-mobile. I kept my phone, closed my US account & got a pay as you go sim on t-mobile in the UK, so you might be able to do that. You would just have to speak to your phone company to unlock your phone.

EDIT: I forgot to add that you will need to get your phone unlocked in the UK to use an SIM here too.

what about cellphone or prepaid phones. I doubt my usa cellphone will work in london. So where can I buy prepaid phones in london?

Last edited:
Where is the £5.50 daily Oyster card charge coming from? When I've enquired about it it's always been £5.90 for zones 1-4.

I had look at them online. Smart Russell Square, is very centrally located, in a tourist area, with good transport links to The O2 and is within walking distance of Londons main shopping street Oxford Street.

Palmers Lodge is not as centrally located, its not located in a tourist area but its still an ok part of London. This has a direct tube line straight to The O2 though, compared with Russel Square, where you have to change a few times.

There are many YHA london, you didnt say which one so I was unable to to find info about this.
Thank you. :) I was talking about YHA london central located at the oxford street. Is that one with aircon? I saw there are many hostels at very good location but are without aircon, can you recommend one with aircon and at central london? How about bestplace in waterloo? Is it nice?

I have a question about getting back to central London from the O2 after the tube stops running...I know the Thames Clipper will still be running...but do you know until when it will run and also WHERE the stop for it is? Like, if I stay for the After Party...do I have to walk in some dark, shady areas to get to the Clipper stop? And where in London will the stop be and do I have to walk in some shady dockareas there then too? Or will I be able to get a taxi easily from where ever the Clipper stops? I'd wanna stay for the After Show party to check it out....but if that means I have to walk at some dark shady areas afterwards to get back to central London...I'll skip it.

Oh and Moonstreet, do you know if that "Body" exhibition will really be at the O2 in July? Because if it is, I wanna go check it out! :)

Hi Moonstreet,
I wanted to know how far is Wembley Hotel from the O2 Arena?? That is one of the hotels within my price range, and from looking at the pictures it seems like a nice hotel.. My second choice is the Ramada in the Docklands (I think that is the location)....

Wembley Hotel is near Wembley Central tube stop on The Bakerloo Line. To travel from here to The O2 would take apoprox 1 hour by tube, as you have to Travel from Wembley Central to Waterloo, then cahnge to the Jubilee lIne to The O2.

Ramada in the Docklands is a shorter travel journey. Its on the DLR (Docklands Light Railway Line) at Prince Regent station. From there you travel to Canning Town and change onto the Juliee Line for North Greenwich. Travel time approx 30 mins max

thanks for the links :) i was reading them already but i am really confused about this oyster card. the link you told me show me different daily caps for tube, bus or tram. and to be honest, i didnt find the fare of 5.50 maximum a day...

i know i might go on your nerves, but maybe you could explain it to me again lol.

The £5.50 was an approx ammount quoted to me by a station employee for travel in zones 1 and 2, thats why I posted the links to the officail pages so that people can work out for themselves depending on which zones they are travelling in.

Heey moonstreet!

thanks for your previous answer to my question, but i still have another question, which is very imortant to me.:)

How old do you need to be to stay on a hotel on your own? I'm 17 right now and still will be 17 when I'm going to London. Do you need to be 18 to stay in a hotelroom on your own?

thanks

Im not quite sure about that. The best thing to do would be to contact the hotel directly as policies may be different depending on the hotel.

Where is the £5.50 daily Oyster card charge coming from? When I've enquired about it it's always been £5.90 for zones 1-4.

I was told that by a station employee when I enquied aboout it for travel in zones 1 and 2.

Thank you. :) I was talking about YHA london central located at the oxford street. Is that one with aircon? I saw there are many hostels at very good location but are without aircon, can you recommend one with aircon and at central london? How about bestplace in waterloo? Is it nice?

Oxford Street is the main street of London, think Times Square area of central Manhatten. Its the main tourist area. I wouldnt really be worried about whether a place has aircon or not. The temps in London rarely reach higher than 28 to 30 degress centrigrade,and aircon whille nice is an added bonus not a nesicestity. Homes in London for eg, dont have aircon.

Best place in Waterloo is also good, and its nearer to The O2, only 15 mins by tube and its also easy to get to any of the tourist areas from there

I have a question about getting back to central London from the O2 after the tube stops running...I know the Thames Clipper will still be running...but do you know until when it will run and also WHERE the stop for it is? Like, if I stay for the After Party...do I have to walk in some dark, shady areas to get to the Clipper stop? And where in London will the stop be and do I have to walk in some shady dockareas there then too? Or will I be able to get a taxi easily from where ever the Clipper stops? I'd wanna stay for the After Show party to check it out....but if that means I have to walk at some dark shady areas afterwards to get back to central London...I'll skip it.

Oh and Moonstreet, do you know if that "Body" exhibition will really be at the O2 in July? Because if it is, I wanna go check it out! :)

Im going over to The O2 in a couple of days and will check all this out for you. I would also like to know about this as I too have an afterparty ticket

When I moved from NY to the UK I was on t-mobile. I kept my phone, closed my US account & got a pay as you go sim on t-mobile in the UK, so you might be able to do that. You would just have to speak to your phone company to unlock your phone.

EDIT: I forgot to add that you will need to get your phone unlocked in the UK to use an SIM here too.
what is a SIM?

Heey moonstreet!

thanks

If u r under 18, u must have actualy a private room. U can not stay at a hostel in a dorm - sharing with other people, unless its your family. Thats the law in Ireland - think it will be the same in the UK. Ring the hotel, just to be sure.

Last edited:
Back