OTW 30 - artists to rework classic tracks

That is utter nonsense LOL

Flash in a pan artists???

Which of the below artists are flash in a pan?
Justin Timberlake
Rhianna
Jay-z
Amy Winehouse

You know why we get rereleases?? It keeps the music fresh and makes money for Sony and for MICHAEL, seeing it on the new releases shelf again is good too! I am 100% for this project, and I am guessing Michael is too lol :p

ALL OF THE ABOVE. And history will prove me right because NONE Of them will be around 10 years from now cause they ain't worth ISH. Their music is easily forgotten and will soon be eclipsed by the next flash-in-the-pan [insert name here] that will hit the scene shortly.

None of them should even be mentioned in the same sentence as Mike Jax.

.... I remember having this same ridiculous argument with a someone back at the turn of the century over Ginuwine, Sisqo and some other forgettable artists of that era. DEJA VU.

Yeah, let's take a bunch of flash in the pan crappy artists of today and have them remake Mike's Great songs. Sounds like a wonderful idea.

Yeah... JT and Jay-Z are flash in the pan artists.... yet both of them have been around successfully for around/amost 10 years now.

ALL OF THE ABOVE. And history will prove me right because NONE Of them will be around 10 years from now cause they ain't worth ISH. Their music is easily forgotten and will soon be eclipsed by the next flash-in-the-pan [insert name here] that will hit the scene shortly.

.... I remember having this same ridiculous argument with a someone back at the turn of the century over Ginuwine, Sisqo and some other forgettable artists of that era. DEJA VU.

Deja vu indeed. Damn, Teena Marie was ahead of her time ("I've been here before!") :lol:

Yeah... JT and Jay-Z are flash in the pan artists.... yet both of them have been around successfully for around/amost 10 years now.

Uh, yeah, lots believed the Spice Girls would be all the rage for many decades to come back in 1996. As you can see...they might still be around, but they ain't all that.

I'm sure the fans of Siouxie and the Banshees, House of Pain, Digable Planets, Green Jelly, 69 Boyz, Skee-Lo, Mandy Moore, Aaron Carter, 98 Degrees, Nsync, etc. all felt the same way about their artists back in the day.

Like I said -- 10 years from now ...these folks are HIStory. No staying power at all.

Deja vu indeed. Damn, Teena Marie was ahead of her time ("I've been here before!") :lol:

:yes:

Let's not forget NSYNC and NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK --- around, but not even a shadow of what they were. Who woulda thought??

I think I'm gonna go remake Nat King Cole's classic UNFORGETTABLE. Except, this will be the remix:

You're FORGETTABLE. IN EVERY WAY....
{Natalie Cole will sing duet}

THIS IS Dedicated to ALL those flash in the pan has beens who ain't got the long lasting careers of legends like Mike.

mmmmmmmm Lets see who knows about music..........

As You Say All these will be forgotten in 10 years

Justin Timberlake - Career started 11 YEARS AGO in a pop band, went solo with a more mature sound, it worked, number 1 album & various singles

Jay-Z - Carrer started in 13 YEARS AGO, Former CEO of Def Jam and Roc-a-Fella Recordings, Sold over 26 million units, and has had countless hits

Rhianna - Fairly young, new to the scene, but has made an impact and worked with some top people in her time at the top of the charts, plus Michael likes her music :)

Amy Winehouse - Crack-head, Junkie Etc................Well people keep buying her music???

Anyway If Michael chooses these people to work with him then he does, you can't change that in a million years by having a moan on an mj board, best to stick with Michaels decisions that way you always win the argument :)

Last edited:
:yes:

Let's not forget NSYNC and NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK --- around, but not even a shadow of what they were. Who woulda thought??

I think I'm gonna go remake Nat King Cole's classic UNFORGETTABLE. Except, this will be the remix:

You're FORGETTABLE. IN EVERY WAY....
{Natalie Cole will sing duet}

THIS IS Dedicated to ALL those flash in the pan has beens who ain't got the long lasting careers of legends like Mike.

:rofl: :kickass:

But yeah, you're definitely right. I think Justin and Jay would last - as celebrity tabloid figures. :lol: HOV! LMAO! Technically Jay is really the one that has survived as long as he has. We just gotta see how this thing develops with this re-release.

They might not even be on it anyways.

What's with all the hate towards these people...? don´t like them? fine fair enough, move on and don't buy the album when it comes out.
It's one thing to express your opinion of dislike and quite another one to troll.

mmmmmmmm Lets see who knows about music..........

All these will be forgotten in 10 years

Justin Timberlake - Career started 11 YEARS AGO in a pop band, went solo with a more mature sound, it worked, number 1 album & various singles

Jay-Z - Carrer started in 13 YEARS AGO, Former CEO of Def Jam and Roc-a-Fella Recordings, Sold over 26 million units, and has had countless hits

Rhianna - Fairly young, new to the scene, but has made an impact and worked with some top people in her time at the top of the charts, plus Michael likes her music :)

Amy Winehouse - Crack-head, Junkie Etc................Well people keep buying her music???

Anyway If Michael chooses these people to work with him then he does, you can't change that in a million years by having a moan on an mj board, best to stick with Michaels decisions that way you always win the argument :)

edit edit edit

I have a key point to add, right we all know the 2001 special editions were released then Invincible yeah, well check this for a thought

Feb 2008 Thriller 25 is released
May 2008 Hold My Hand is leaked, Now Akon said it was meant to be on MJ's new album but was scrapped after the leak, he also mentioned that Michael waits for the right time to release an album

Now we might get Off The Wall 30.................I don't wanna seem a bit ahead but it could, be a good time to release no?

No, this is the only reason. Re-releasing a cult album with some new stuff for today's generation DOES EARN GOOD MONEY...
"Off The Wall" doesn't qualify as a cult album, that would be more like a Sex Pistols record.

soooooooooooooo, as this is one of my two fave albums (along with thriller) I personally won't listen to any remixes, though I'll probably buy it. I don't wanna hear anyone re-do these songs!!!!
BUT
They should TOTALLY put something unreleased or a demo from the otw era, and then I will weep with sheer and utter JOY :girl_weeping:

Awesome.

But find better artists. Well, the first 3 can stay. Amy needs to get replaced.
Bring back Will or Akon, or bring in someone like Lionel or Tina Turner.

Technically aren't flash in the plan artists.... artists who come and go very quickly? Unless you consider hanging around for 10 years.... going away very quickly?

Either way, a new take/spin on a classic will be interesting to say the least.... will it be good? Will it be bad? Who knows? Only time will tell.

Off The Wall is "cult", if we're going by the accepted definition.

in terms of a specific crowd (or "following"), you've the 'nu'-soul, hip-hop-soul underground generation et al, and i'd put my money on Off The Wall being at the top of most heads' MJ albums there. it resonates with so many like-minded cats moreso than Thriller.

in fact even in the fan community it seems like both Dangerous and OTW are the more popular.

lol, can't we just leave OTW alone? I mean, is this really necessary? :bugeyed

Thanks for the info. :) I wonder if this would really happen though :unsure:

What's with all the hate towards these people...? don´t like them? fine fair enough, move on and don't buy the album when it comes out.
It's one thing to express your opinion of dislike and quite another one to troll.

Edit Edit Edit lol

Seems some people still dont see the truth of music at the moment, anything modern is always flash in the pan

Far from a troll.

And no, modern music is not flash in the pan, but Crackerjack artists manufactured by the sausage industry are!

And that's not talking all that jazz. i've been in tv for 15 years and my friends on the music side (i got two of em working for me right now) have seen the music industry MELT DOWN right before their very eyes. You think the housing collapse was bad? The music biz collapsed a while back. That's cause the content is pure trash. Notice all the big record companies living in the past? Rereleasing greatest hits from all the superstars of yesteryear? And they still can't make money. You know why? Cause none of the "new" artists GOT anything any of us want 5-10 - 15 - 20 years after it's released. Hell, you can't rerelease junk that was on the radio from last year.

The shelf life of the junk on the radio these days is like 28 days. At best you hear about it again at the awards shows when they rehash all the ISH that really didn't do all that great, but they act like it did.

And that's not really the artist's fault. It's the record producers who don't want to be in the business forever (cause it really doesn't pay all too well esp when you got to recoup before you get any money). Great record producers get in and get out. Or they go work on a real artist's records and quit working for peanuts on the flash in the pan artists.

You can live in denial all you want, the music biz as "we" knew it is DEAD. And so are the artists who have NO shelf life (outside of their tabloid scandals).

PS - OTW is great. Mike is great. The other artists are not. I already got OTW. We don't need another rerelease. We need NEW CONTENT. CONTENT IS KING.

Last edited:
I think it's going to be a pointless release

Do they actually think people WANT that? Yes, I would love to see a 30th anniversary edition of Off The Wall, but I think THIS treatment is not the way to go. Fans don't want it, and although I know they're trying to sell it to a younger generation, it's going to be lost amongst hardcore MJ fans AND true music lovers.

They could easily released make a deluxe edition with
-The original album
-bonus tracks like alternate takes, unreleased songs, demos, and live recordings
-a DVD of live performances from the the time period

if they're gonna make new mixes, get some CREDIBLE producers like DJ Spinna who did the extended mix of We're Almost There, ?uestlove, Salaam Remi, and Prince Paul who worked on the deluxe edition of Marvin Gaye's Here My Dear. Instead of making forgettable remixes like they did on Thriller 25, make some mixes that could be seen as COMPANIONS to the original versions

I think it's going to be a pointless release

Do they actually think people WANT that? Yes, I would love to see a 30th anniversary edition of Off The Wall, but I think THIS treatment is not the way to go. Fans don't want it, and although I know they're trying to sell it to a younger generation, it's going to be lost amongst hardcore MJ fans AND true music lovers.

They could easily released make a deluxe edition with
-The original album
-bonus tracks like alternate takes, unreleased songs, demos, and live recordings
-a DVD of live performances from the the time period

if they're gonna make new mixes, get some CREDIBLE producers like DJ Spinna who did the extended mix of We're Almost There, ?uestlove, Salaam Remi, and Prince Paul who worked on the deluxe edition of Marvin Gaye's Here My Dear. Instead of making forgettable remixes like they did on Thriller 25, make some mixes that could be seen as COMPANIONS to the original versions

lol..well MJ was involved with t25 and it sold well. still, we never know. this might work.

I would like to hear Justin Timberlake do a rework of "DSTYGE" since his song Like I Love You is like a 21 century version of DSTYGE.
There's studio footage of Justin even saying that it's like the 21st century version of it.

Listen to the guitar in the beginning, it got the same rhythm and notes as the rhodes in the beginning of DSTYGE. And the reeeally low "tom drums" is there also.

Like, it would be interesting to hear DSTYGE arranged with the same instruments as he used on LILY.

But f##k Rihanna, I don't even understand the fascination with her, she don't even have a _good_ voice. Her voice is just _special_, not good.
Listen to "unfaithful", she sounds like a strangled crow.

EDIT: However, I must say that I kind of agree with you all that think this whole cover album is a stupid idea.
Why? Because it's ALL ABOUT MONEY.

EDIT 2: Shieeet, anything is possible though.
When I/we got confirmed that T-Pain is even in the presence of MJ, that shit broke my heart for real. Like why? What is he doing with MJ? Is he cleaning MJ's cars or something?

Last edited:
lol..well MJ was involved with t25 and it sold well. still, we never know. this might work.
it's because of 2 things:
It was well promoted and Thriller will ALWAYS be a great album

and

It's Michael Jackson! of course it's gonna sell units :lol:

Think about. Who bought Thriller 25 for the remixes?

go ahead, I'll wait :lol:

it's because of 2 things:
It was well promoted and Thriller will ALWAYS be a great album

and

It's Michael Jackson! of course it's gonna sell units :lol:

Think about. Who bought Thriller 25 for the remixes?

go ahead, I'll wait :lol:

it's a moot point, cus the operative word is 'kaching'. and..how do you know who actually bought it? were you at every counter?:D :lol:

as far as being well promoted, that really doesn't make a difference for Michael, cus he's Michael. Invincible sold well, despite poor sony promotion. as both carson daly and MJ pointed out in that virgin megastore interview, Invicible came out as the number 1 album all over the world.

it's a moot point, cus the operative word is 'kaching'. and..how do you know who actually bought it? were you at every counter?:D :lol:

as far as being well promoted, that really doesn't make a difference for Michael, cus he's Michael. Invincible sold well, despite poor sony promotion. as both carson daly and MJ pointed out in that virgin megastore interview, Invicible came out as the number 1 album all over the world.
You right, but from who I know who bought it (who aren't hardcore fans), the remixes WERE NOT the selling point

Thriller 25 was going to sell regardless, the remixes were just there :lol:

It seems like they're taking the formula they used for Thriller 25 and using it again for Off The Wall....and it's just not a good look

Back