OTW 30 - artists to rework classic tracks

No I don't think it's enough. Don't people see? The more big names are talking about Michael, the more people are being warmed up to hearing about him again. He's been out of the public eye for quite a while, professionally, the only thing that's pretty much been out there is all the gossip stuff. This will put Michael Jackson the artist back in people's minds. This is PR at work.

And like with Thriller 25, currently relevant artists will put their touch on the songs, and yes that might include T-pain or whatever. Try to remember that the album is not coming out for us die hard fans, but for the music buying public in general. If you would let us fans put together the album we'd get something that's great, huge, and it will probably do horrible in today's industry. Accept it or not, good exposure right now means marketing to the biggest common denominator, which is the popular artist, club hit buying audience, the people that play T-pain, Chris Brown, Timberlake, etc. etc. I think it will also include remastered original tracks, for the people that know them and grew up with them. It will be a similar concept to Thriller 25.

If they are planning to release a new MJ album, they people need to be warmed up to him first, you don't just drop an album out of the cold, without some anticipation build up and exposure, Michael has never done it like that.

When Michael did Thriller he mixed older known styles with new popular music, to appeal to the largest possible audience. This is called knowing how to sell, know an audience. It's marketing. This is not very different. I think any MJ development like this is an positive one.

I disagree with some of your points. In the climate that the music industry is in,older established artists such as Michael rely on the fanbases more than the casual listeners ESPECIALLY when you're releasing a deluxe edition of an album that came out in 1979. The main people who will be buying this are going to be the fans

If they want to release new renditions, release the original 5 Off The Wall singles on iTunes with the new versions as bonus tracks to them. Don't include them on the final set

No I don't think it's enough. Don't people see? The more big names are talking about Michael, the more people are being warmed up to hearing about him again. He's been out of the public eye for quite a while, professionally, the only thing that's pretty much been out there is all the gossip stuff. This will put Michael Jackson the artist back in people's minds. This is PR at work.

And like with Thriller 25, currently relevant artists will put their touch on the songs, and yes that might include T-pain or whatever. Try to remember that the album is not coming out for us die hard fans, but for the music buying public in general. If you would let us fans put together the album we'd get something that's great, huge, and it will probably do horrible in today's industry. Accept it or not, good exposure right now means marketing to the biggest common denominator, which is the popular artist, club hit buying audience, the people that play T-pain, Chris Brown, Timberlake, etc. etc. I think it will also include remastered original tracks, for the people that know them and grew up with them. It will be a similar concept to Thriller 25.

If they are planning to release a new MJ album, they people need to be warmed up to him first, you don't just drop an album out of the cold, without some anticipation build up and exposure, Michael has never done it like that.

When Michael did Thriller he mixed older known styles with new popular music, to appeal to the largest possible audience. This is called knowing how to sell, know an audience. It's marketing. This is not very different. I think any MJ development like this is an positive one.

Great Post! :)

^^ Ain't no movies coming out. :lol:
Poe-Edgar-Allen.jpg
:tease:

His heart is in movies.

NOBODY knows what will happen next.
But he is done with tours, he over-said it so many times, and all factual elements show that he sticks to that.

Album = Tour, don't forget that.

So : we will all see...

^^ I still think he's bluffing and I say that with kindness. :lol: His heart still remains in music, he's just trying to bide up for lost time. He keep on saying that "I'm tired of making music" thing, well where are his film scores? LOL Like I said, he better wait until the film industry's guild parties get themselves straight before thinking filming is his next meal ticket. :p

He will make an album and he will tour, if not a huge tour then a small one!

He haven't seen the last of him.

NOBODY knows what will happen next.
But he is done with tours, he over-said it so many times, and all factual elements show that he sticks to that.
so thomes statement was a lie? and mj said he was done with touring after the bad tour. yeah he defo sticks to it lol

so thomes statement was a lie? and mj said he was done with touring after the bad tour. yeah he defo sticks to it lol

he said he didn't like tours in PHM and also in the Ebony interview (he does not want to end like James Brown on stage etc....). Just two examples when he mentioned that (and that was sure after the Bad tour).

I agree with the fact that in the end he used to always come with new music, but this time it looks different : nothing new since 2005.

Again, noone knows, neither me nor you.

I just hope he will create Art the way he wants it, and when he wants it.

I disagree with some of your points. In the climate that the music industry is in,older established artists such as Michael rely on the fanbases more than the casual listeners ESPECIALLY when you're releasing a deluxe edition of an album that came out in 1979. The main people who will be buying this are going to be the fans

If they want to release new renditions, release the original 5 Off The Wall singles on iTunes with the new versions as bonus tracks to them. Don't include them on the final set

Thanks for responding, always good to discuss something :)

I don't agree with you, and cite Madonna as an example. She has always changed to fit the current climate and styles, and she has been succesful at it. My point is that these artist can always get new fans, besides retaining their old fan base. Also, older fans are still very much part of the current music climate, they're just more in the background.

Even though the album is old, it's still timeless. The newer versions will excite younger audiences, and spark airplay and club play, and they will be interested in the originals, so then it's perfect if they can get both on one album. Besides, i'm sure that the newer audiences are not foreign to Michael Jackson, he transcends era's.

I do agree with your Itunes approach, because digital is just the way to go in this time. BUT, I don't see why they have to be mutally exclusive. I say, put it both on Itunes and on the cd.

Thank you! :lol:

Sometimes, some of MJ's statements shouldn't be taken as gospel. :lol: Then again, even his own people you can't buy statements from unless they come to fruition. :lol:

We shall see indeed. :yes:

His heart is in movies.
He's never done a movie or any sort of acting besides The Wiz (and that's a musical), unless you consider The Jacksons TV show "acting", lol. He was in MIB II maybe 2 minutes. Music videos aren't acting, and if he did do a movie it could only be Elvis style, basically playing himself. The general public isn't going to buy him as a killer, lover, drug addict, cowboy, boxer, etc. Maybe he can do voiceovers, but that's it.

Why do all of mj's albums have to be for the fans huh?

If its more commercially successful its better to go with collaborations, some mj fans think Michael does this just to please us, not many people outside of the MJ community want to hear demos, they want something new, if people want to live in the past then they themselves do not respect MJ's goal in becoming a front runner again, in whining on an MJ board will do nothing, its pointless, why type it up, its almost instantly forgotten.

If Michael wishes to do this with HIS music, then he can, no one here has the right to say otherwise!

He's never done a movie or any sort of acting besides The Wiz (and that's a musical), unless you consider The Jacksons TV show "acting", lol. He was in MIB II maybe 2 minutes. Music videos aren't acting, and if he did do a movie it could only be Elvis style, basically playing himself. The general public isn't going to buy him as a killer, lover, drug addict, cowboy, boxer, etc. Maybe he can do voiceovers, but that's it.

I think he wanted to direct movies. He didn't necessarily say he wanted to act. Nevertheless, I don't really think his heart is in it tho. I mean, where are the planned films? You hear more about the new album than you do any film, lol.

What about Captain E.O?

I could see him as a killer or drug addict; in fact I would love to see him in such a role. The only problem is convincing the directors and film crew that he is capable of acting. The only thing he has done that sorta impressed me was the Mayor in Ghosts. However part of that was due to him being in makeup…

Thank you! :lol:

Sometimes, some of MJ's statements shouldn't be taken as gospel. :lol: Then again, even his own people you can't buy statements from unless they come to fruition. :lol:

We shall see indeed. :yes:

of course you cant believe anything until it happens. frankly i hope mj and his ppl wouldnt b so stupid to put out that tour statement if there wasnt some truth in it. then again. this is mjs staf we are talking about and it was good pr against the health stories. btw what happened to the evidence that guy was gonna reveal still waiting:doh:

imo mj could only ever succeed in acting is if he were to do the full makeup and unless u knew it was mj u wouldnt be able to tell like in ghosts.

there are many ways to be involved in films: acting, directing, producing, writing music score... you name it.

the album and album tours have been widely spread out by musicians and so-called spokepersons (who don't stay long in the end).

of course, there is no film title on the table.... just like no album title has been revealed in any threads or official website too.

And also: he hasn't been in films that much before: IMO, so far his filmography resides in his short-filmography.
and I'm totally open and anxious to discover what he may come up with in the long movie feature business.

Thanks for responding, always good to discuss something :)

I don't agree with you, and cite Madonna as an example. She has always changed to fit the current climate and styles, and she has been succesful at it. My point is that these artist can always get new fans, besides retaining their old fan base. Also, older fans are still very much part of the current music climate, they're just more in the background.

Even though the album is old, it's still timeless. The newer versions will excite younger audiences, and spark airplay and club play, and they will be interested in the originals, so then it's perfect if they can get both on one album. Besides, i'm sure that the newer audiences are not foreign to Michael Jackson, he transcends era's.

I do agree with your Itunes approach, because digital is just the way to go in this time. BUT, I don't see why they have to be mutally exclusive. I say, put it both on Itunes and on the cd.
I do agree with older acts adapting to new eras, but when you have an album that's already been released, seen as one of the greatest releases in R&B history, re-releasing it 30 years later with remixes/covers from artists as bonus tracks doesn't seem the right approach

If they wanted, they could've released a 2 volume CD release of remixes similar to the Jackson 5 Soul Source series, with remixes and new versions produced by popular and underground DJs and producers. Take the new Maroon 5 remix album for example

of course you cant believe anything until it happens. frankly i hope mj and his ppl wouldnt b so stupid to put out that tour statement if there wasnt some truth in it. then again. this is mjs staf we are talking about and it was good pr against the health stories. btw what happened to the evidence that guy was gonna reveal still waiting:doh:

imo mj could only ever succeed in acting is if he were to do the full makeup and unless u knew it was mj u wouldnt be able to tell like in ghosts.

That's why I don't get too much into it because you hardly hear about it after the announcements. It's like "is that it?" LOL

Why do all of mj's albums have to be for the fans huh?

If its more commercially successful its better to go with collaborations, some mj fans think Michael does this just to please us, not many people outside of the MJ community want to hear demos, they want something new, if people want to live in the past then they themselves do not respect MJ's goal in becoming a front runner again, in whining on an MJ board will do nothing, its pointless, why type it up, its almost instantly forgotten.

If Michael wishes to do this with HIS music, then he can, no one here has the right to say otherwise!

I'll say it again.

It's a 30 YEAR OLD album that still sells pretty well for a back catalog release. A deluxe edition is going to be bought more by the fans than anybody else, especially in the case of Off The Wall

If the case is being commercially successful, release a remix album not take a classic and then tack on some forgettable remixes at the end like they did with Thriller

What about Captain E.O?
That's not really any different than Thriller or Smooth Criminal, just a music video with a little dialogue added. Janet started out acting in Good Times and has acted in other TV shows. This was before she started making records. The other siblings only did music, and have no acting experience. I think he was kinda playing himself in The Wiz, so it's not much different than other "pop star" movies.

I do agree with older acts adapting to new eras, but when you have an album that's already been released, seen as one of the greatest releases in R&B history, re-releasing it 30 years later with remixes/covers from artists as bonus tracks doesn't seem the right approach

If they wanted, they could've released a 2 volume CD release of remixes similar to the Jackson 5 Soul Source series, with remixes and new versions produced by popular and underground DJs and producers. Take the new Maroon 5 remix album for example

I guess we just don't agree on that part :) I don't think it matters if the album has been released already, it matters how you handle it now. Just look at Hollywood and how they CONSTANTLY re-releasing movies that have already been done (Friday the 13th, Batman, etc. etc.) They do it because it's successful. A lot of general people who are a little younger probably never actually bought Off the Wall, so this might be a good product for them. Thriller 25 did well, they probably take their cues from that too.

Besides, maybe only a few tracks will be redone, like with Thriller. If Michael is working on a new album, this isn't the focal point anyway, it's something that is coming up because of the anniversary and they want to do SOMETHING, but I'm guessing the main focus and efforts are towards an original release.

And I don't think Michael would really wanna go the underground remix kind of direction, he's more inclined to have big names do an alternate version of his songs. But that's just my idea, and I could very well be wrong here. :)

I could see him as a killer or drug addict; in fact I would love to see him in such a role. The only problem is convincing the directors and film crew that he is capable of acting. The only thing he has done that sorta impressed me was the Mayor in Ghosts. However part of that was due to him being in makeup…

well..that's the point. Heath Ledger used makeup in his most impressive role...the joker.

i think we really don't know what MIchael can do, as an actor, until he shows us. i don't think we ought to put the kabosh on the possibility that he can be an actor. it does take talent to act in a musical. and he was rather scary in ghosts. if he wants to be, i think he can be effective. makeup is the key. he's had plenty of practice in that. and the high tech world of hollywood could make him unrecognizeable..yes..even the biggest star in the world. what they need to do is bill him in the beginning of the movie as another name. and when we see the audience's reaction, he can reveal it was him. or he can use his name, and it's up to the public to see who he is playing in the film. he may not play the traditional roles that Duran Duran mentioned..but he can play guys like Edgar Allen Poe, or someone of unique stature. and then again, maybe he can play one of the traditional roles. you never know till you find out. i think he has enough of capability to have a dark side and put it in a role.

Back