OTW 30 - artists to rework classic tracks

it's because of 2 things:
It was well promoted and Thriller will ALWAYS be a great album

and

It's Michael Jackson! of course it's gonna sell units :lol:

Think about. Who bought Thriller 25 for the remixes?

go ahead, I'll wait :lol:
Me. And I guarantee lots of people.

How do we even know they're going to be on it? It ain't even confirmed. :lol:

that's right. we're just commisserating until an official confirmation that it ain't happenin, comes up and shuts us up. otherwise..we'll keep commiserating. lol :lol:

if i misspelled that, so what. lol

If his new album drops this year or early next year, I know I'd be happy with this OTW 30th anniversary release. Otherwise, I wouldn't be excited nor angry.

One thing I can say about the list...it's more for name value. Personally I would love to have a rearranged, reinterpreted OTW tribute album, you know, kind of a collection of nice rendition. Something that does the original justice to the fullest. Those artists ain't the ones who can do that.

If his new album drops this year or early next year, I know I'd be happy with this OTW 30th anniversary release. Otherwise, I wouldn't be excited nor angry.

One thing I can say about the list...it's more for name value. Personally I would love to have a rearranged, reinterpreted OTW tribute album, you know, kind of a collection of nice rendition. Something that does the original justice to the fullest. Those artists ain't the ones who can do that.
If they said "Let's take Off The Wall and do a 'reimagination' of the original album" with new alternate mixes of the album and unreleased tracks from the original sessions like how Motown re-released Marvin Gaye's Here My Dear and In Our Lifetime? albums, that would be a complete eargasm:wild:

Rock With You and I Can't Help It with additional ad-libs....:dancin:

Me. And I guarantee lots of people.
I'm sorry to hear that...

:lol: just kidding. I just think people bought Thriller 25 because of the original album moreso than the remixes. The only ones worth anything were Will i Am's remixes. Fergie's remix was weak as was Kanye's. I don't consider Wanna Be Startin' Somethin 2008 a remix since Akon sang 90% of the song

If they said "Let's take Off The Wall and do a 'reimagination' of the original album" with new alternate mixes of the album and unreleased tracks from the original sessions like how Motown re-released Marvin Gaye's Here My Dear and In Our Lifetime? albums, that would be a complete eargasm:wild:

Rock With You and I Can't Help It with additional ad-libs....:dancin:
:yes: That would be fantastic. Haha eargasm:punk:

I remember when Michael released the Special Editions of his albums around the same time as Invincible. Then we got Thriller 25 which was supposed to set us up for the new album. Now we are getting OTW 30 to get us excited for the new album. This is a complete joke; he should focus on the new albums rather than rereleasing his old material every few years.

If he wants to appease the fans while we wait, then he should release b-sides or the Bad concert on DVD. If not, I will just download the tracks for free until he finally gets a clue and puts out new stuff…

I doubt the re-releases are to hype up the album, first off, I always take "new album news" with grains of salt, second off, we know Sony ain't gonna do what the fans required despite them telling us to voice our opinion on later releases that we know ain't coming. :lol: And third off, if BAD comes out with a 25th anniversary edition in three years, then where does this "new album" fit in? :lol: I'm just saying. Re-releases shouldn't hype you for the album when we just don't know what's up, lol.

T25 was not supposed to set us up for the new album.
Right now, the new album is not on the top list.
I think as far as music goes, OTW 30 will be the main thing for 2009.
Michael wants to score in movies. Hopefully he will make it.

Lets just say this, I've been waiting patiently with the "new album news" since 2006, and if 2009 turns out to be an "Off the Wall 30" year, then i'm done with waiting for MJ. I check this forum every day for news and I hear new news on the album constantly, and am hoping that signals the arrival of it this year. But if I at least don't have a release date or new single from him this year, then i'll just move on to more reliable artists like Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, and U2. They take at least 2 years and there's concrete news. Now the OTW30 isnt a bad idea, its just we had T25 and thats the big important album people wanted to buy. Half the general public could care less about OTW, it only spawned a couple radio hits vs Thriller's 6 or 7 top 20 singles.

lol, that is clearly a stab in the dark.

if 2009 turns out to be an "Off the Wall 30" year, then i'm done with waiting for MJ.

Bye then, no one cares.

If you ain't guna wait for MJ, go turn on the radio and make do with what you hear coming from it, I hope you are satisfied with what you hear because that is as good as it gets until Mike his the airwaves again.

Pssht, this is like being on an anti-mike site sometimes. Just shut it if you havn't got anything decent to say.

GAH, im off to play in the snow to take out my frustration.

Mike wants to be a father, lol. I'm sure if he was scoring in films, he'd do it but nah the film industry needs to straighten itself out before Michael puts his imprint in it, that's if he ever does, lol.

I think the Off The Wall album deserves a 30th Anniversary release. But not with re-recorded tracks by other artists. That's cheating fans, because I would never by a single or album by Amy Winehouse, Jay Z, Rihanna or Justin Timberlake. I hope this is nothing more than a rumour. If it turns out to be true I may not by the 30th Anniversary edition.

I think a 30th Anniversary edition of Off The Wall should have a couple more demos of songs, some unreleased songs and the original unreleased uptempo version of Rock With You.

i wanna hear t pain add his touch to some old classics like rock wit u

U know what, I wonder if it will have bonus songs on there, but probably be just for Japan releases.

Off The Wall is special to so many people, ask any celebrity they have this in their collection.

Looking forward to it, my all time fav album

How can you say MJ isn't doing anything? Hold My Hand is a new song, so sure he has made something

i ment not doing anything interms of the new album release.we know hes been in the studio the question is when/if any of it sees the light of day.

and mikes been going on about the movies for the last 20 years. it aint gonna happen. stick to what u are good at

Last edited:
Ok isn't it enough that Akon, Will I Am and Ne-Yo talk about Michael in ever god damn interview so now we gonna hear Timberlake, Rihanna, JAY-Z and Amy Winehouse talk about him as well.

I'm kind of dissappointed if this is true.. OTW is my favorite album, and hearing that other singers are supposed to make this new release interesting just doesn't do it for me.
I would much rather hear unreleased songs or other stuff like that.
Why does he all of a sudden need other artists singing his songs? First Thriller now this.

..Sad truth is I'll probably be buying it anyway,just because I would be happy to see something new from him in the stores ..

Edit: You know what, I'm gonna give this the benefit off the doubt. Maybe it will turn out to have great renditions of the songs.

Ok isn't it enough that Akon, Will I Am and Ne-Yo talk about Michael in ever god damn interview so now we gonna hear Timberlake, Rihanna, JAY-Z and Amy Winehouse talk about him as well.
the horror!!

f_erm.gif

.. only in MJ land.

No I don't think it's enough. Don't people see? The more big names are talking about Michael, the more people are being warmed up to hearing about him again. He's been out of the public eye for quite a while, professionally, the only thing that's pretty much been out there is all the gossip stuff. This will put Michael Jackson the artist back in people's minds. This is PR at work.

And like with Thriller 25, currently relevant artists will put their touch on the songs, and yes that might include T-pain or whatever. Try to remember that the album is not coming out for us die hard fans, but for the music buying public in general. If you would let us fans put together the album we'd get something that's great, huge, and it will probably do horrible in today's industry. Accept it or not, good exposure right now means marketing to the biggest common denominator, which is the popular artist, club hit buying audience, the people that play T-pain, Chris Brown, Timberlake, etc. etc. I think it will also include remastered original tracks, for the people that know them and grew up with them. It will be a similar concept to Thriller 25.

If they are planning to release a new MJ album, they people need to be warmed up to him first, you don't just drop an album out of the cold, without some anticipation build up and exposure, Michael has never done it like that.

When Michael did Thriller he mixed older known styles with new popular music, to appeal to the largest possible audience. This is called knowing how to sell, know an audience. It's marketing. This is not very different. I think any MJ development like this is an positive one.

I hope that this isn't true. I really don't want Off The Wall 30th anniversary album. If they do an Off The Wall 30 album then they'll have to do a Bad 25 album in 2012, a Dangerous 15 album in 2010, a HIStory 15 album in 2010, and an Invincible 10 album in 2011 to make things fair.

Yeah.. that's why I'm not so excited about this OTW 30 thing.. everything is just going to be re-releases.

i ment not doing anything interms of the new album release.we know hes been in the studio the question is when/if any of it sees the light of day.

and mikes been going on about the movies for the last 20 years. it aint gonna happen. stick to what u are good at

Ah ok. Yeah the movie thing ain't ever gonna happen.

The movie The island girsl (or what it was called) was terrible!

Back