Sony may unearth new songs individually over the next months and years

dam2040;4230414 said:
I’ve said many times that ‘Michael’ sounds more like a Michael Jackson album, which is surprising given it’s not even him on it!

Well, he's definitely on 70% of it. Lol.

I wonder if this means they're just gonna drop songs randomly. That'd be quite exciting. It's also a better way of spreading out releases. Instead of 8 to 10 songs on an album they can release 2 or 3 a year. The content that they release and whether it is hq or not is another matter altogether though. I personally also think they're probably talking about remixes of already released songs and stuff, not necessarily unreleased material.

The B-Sides to these releases could even be much more incomplete demos that otherwise couldn’t find a home on a project

dam2040;4230702 said:
The B-Sides to these releases could even be much more incomplete demos that otherwise couldn’t find a home on a project

Exactly what I thought!! They could even put earlier versions of a song on the B-Side like for example if they release Don't Be Messin as a sings they could put the demo from the Bad era and the demo from the Dangerous era on the B-Side

^The possibilities for these types of releases really are endless. They could tell the story of the evolution of a track in a mini-documentary and indeed give us demos from different stages of the process so that we can hear it evolve with our own ears. It could be incredible.

Of course, it's more likely that they serve us up more 'contemporizations'. And if we get anything along with it, it'll probably be another Pitbull remix. In the absolute best case scenario maybe we'll get another unmastered 128 kbps rip of the demo.

(Yes, my expectations are extremely low for this)

I saw this elsewhere so I can't take credit, but this is an excellent suggestion:

1. Updated/finished version
2. Original demo version
3. Contemporized version (where applicable)

Something for everyone!

They’ve already given us a new remix. Who wants to keep on hearing remixed MJ songs? The market is tiny. Unreleased songs is where it’s at.
SmoothGangsta;4230700 said:
I wonder if this means they're just gonna drop songs randomly. That'd be quite exciting. It's also a better way of spreading out releases. Instead of 8 to 10 songs on an album they can release 2 or 3 a year. The content that they release and whether it is hq or not is another matter altogether though. I personally also think they're probably talking about remixes of already released songs and stuff, not necessarily unreleased material.

The Estate are money hungry but they aren't stupid. They know that no one wants to hear yet another remix of Thriller or Billie Jean. They know the real monetary profit lies in unreleased songs, not terrible remixes of already released songs.

dam2040;4230702 said:

flamyyy;4230708 said:
Exactly what I thought!! They could even put earlier versions of a song on the B-Side like for example if they release Don't Be Messin as a sings they could put the demo from the Bad era and the demo from the Dangerous era on the B-Side

I could totally get behind this idea. This is actually a brilliant idea. We all know that MJ took years to work, even decades on some songs. Don't Be Messin Round is a perfect example of that. Best of Joy is another one. The version we got on Michael is the 2008 version. But Michael initially starting working on the song during the Thriller era. Imagine if we got demos of a song from various eras. Not only will it show us the evolution of that song, but also Michael's evolution as an artist, songwriter, vocalist, producer etc.

This is a release I can get behind. But sadly, the real monetary profit lies in the contemporised versions of the songs, and not their demos. Knowing just how money hungry the estate are, I expect nothing but Xscape style releases in the future. As fans, we just have to hope that the contemporised versions are good and the people they choose to work on those songs are people that worked with MJ and or at least understand his vision or both.

Last edited:
I thought more of releasing something like 'Best of Joy' as the A side and 'People of the World' as a B-Side. I guess the diff versions of same song are a good idea too.

AmitLal92;4230711 said:
They’ve already given us a new remix. Who wants to keep on hearing remixed MJ songs? The market is tiny. Unreleased songs is where it’s at.

I don't think I said I'd rather hear remixes so this response doesn't really make sense to me. I think you guys are really over estimating how much money unreleased music makes. MJ's back catalogue makes more money than any unreleased music project will ever make. The estate could easily never release anything again.

The Estate are money hungry but they aren't stupid. They know that no one wants to hear yet another remix of Thriller or Billie Jean. They know the real monetary profit lies in unreleased songs, not terrible remixes of already released songs.

Once again there is little monetary profit in unreleased songs. I don't know where you guys are getting this from. Anything the estate does at this point is just to make some extra change. That being said I hope they do release unreleased music.

^The possibilities for these types of releases really are endless. They could tell the story of the evolution of a track in a mini-documentary and indeed give us demos from different stages of the process so that we can hear it evolve with our own ears. It could be incredible.

Of course, it's more likely that they serve us up more 'contemporizations'. And if we get anything along with it, it'll probably be another Pitbull remix. In the absolute best case scenario maybe we'll get another unmastered 128 kbps rip of the demo.

(Yes, my expectations are extremely low for this)

This is like a dream project lol. My expectations are also very low haha.

I saw this elsewhere so I can't take credit, but this is an excellent suggestion:

1. Updated/finished version
2. Original demo version
3. Contemporized version (where applicable)

Something for everyone!

That would be the best thing that could happen!!!! Contemporized version can be the official single! an update version will never Chart as high. So I would switch number 1 and 3.

This is like a dream project lol. My expectations are also very low haha.
It's been done for other artists. But knowing who's in charge of the MJ Estate, it is indeed nothing but a pipe dream for us.

Once again there is little monetary profit in unreleased songs. I don't know where you guys are getting this from. Anything the estate does at this point is just to make some extra change. That being said I hope they do release unreleased music.

You are right in saying there is more monetary profit in MJ's back catologue than any unreleased songs. In the long run, albums like Thriller, Bad, Number Ones, Essential MJ will always outsell/outstream any posthumous release. But in the short run, they can make a lot of profit from unreleased songs/albums.

Very good point. While the Estate could easily just back off and rely on Thriller and Off the Wall until the end of time, it's never a bad idea to make a little extra money.

I also dig the idea of throwing a less complete song as a B-side -- sort of a subtle way to clean out the vault of material that otherwise has no use. There are plenty of half-baked and/or unrecorded demos I'd love to see appear in high quality (e.g., "Days in Gloucestershire," "Seven Digits," "Shut Up and Dance"). Hell, they could even toss out alternate cuts of songs we already have (e.g., "Beautiful Girl," "Do You Know Where Your Children Are," "Hollywood Tonight").

There's really a million different routes to go. I'm excited to hear new music in whatever capacity they're willing to give it though, so whether it's a mini-EP or just the reproduced single, I'm ready for it.

Very good point. While the Estate could easily just back off and rely on Thriller and Off the Wall until the end of time, it's never a bad idea to make a little extra money.

I also dig the idea of throwing a less complete song as a B-side -- sort of a subtle way to clean out the vault of material that otherwise has no use. There are plenty of half-baked and/or unrecorded demos I'd love to see appear in high quality (e.g., "Days in Gloucestershire," "Seven Digits," "Shut Up and Dance"). Hell, they could even toss out alternate cuts of songs we already have (e.g., "Beautiful Girl," "Do You Know Where Your Children Are," "Hollywood Tonight").

There's really a million different routes to go. I'm excited to hear new music in whatever capacity they're willing to give it though, so whether it's a mini-EP or just the reproduced single, I'm ready for it.

seven digits was made with bryan loren so its probably not very good

It would be a dream if they release Michael's version of Joy. I would pay ridiculous amounts of money to own that
Watch it be £100 for the single now I've said that :rofl:

im still a bit lost on what projects are coming.. I am not sure if there is one project coming or two.. (musically)

im still a bit lost on what projects are coming.. I am not sure if there is one project coming or two.. (musically)

Technically, all that's confirmed is Thriller 3D. One of the Sony reps mentioned that John McClain and an unknown producer were working on some new music, but nothing was confirmed as far as dates and/or albums.

I think we will get a new single before christmas. :)

If MJ really worked on a christmas song - it would be great to release it as a single mid-november.
I soo hope the rumour is correct that MJ really recorded a Christmas song, I love Christmas and to have an adult MJ Christmas song would be great.

Hess;4230897 said:
If MJ really worked on a christmas song - it would be great to release it as a single mid-november.
I soo hope the rumour is correct that MJ really recorded a Christmas song, I love Christmas and to have an adult MJ Christmas song would be great.

He did work on a Christmas song.

The recording took place in mid-1994.

The song is reportedly a duet with his then-wife Lisa Marie Presley.

The song features also a children’s choir.

During the song's recording sessions, the studio was decorated with Christmas stuff so as to fit with the song's theme.

But the stage of the song’s completion (in order to get a Christmas official release) remains unclear.

mj_frenzy;4230909 said:

During the song's recording sessions, the studio was decorated with Christmas stuff so as to fit with the song's theme.

But the stage of the song’s completion (in order to get a Christmas official release) remains unclear.

I highly doubt this is true, sounds like it came straight from Wikipedia. What's the source?

mj_frenzy;4230909 said:

I really hope this is true. But I doubt it. If MJ had really recorded a Christmas song and made all this docoration, children's choir etc. - more people would have talked about it and confirmed the project. - Some producers too. - I have never really heard any true confirmation from one who claimed to be involved. I really do hope there is a recording of a Christmas song in the vault, but my hopes are not high...

Also - duet with Lisa Marie Presley? - I know she made music, but I would prefer a MJ solo version. - and if LMP had recorded a Christmas song with MJ, how come she has never mentioned it?

maybe they never talked about it again, because they broke up and wanted distance from each other?

Last I heard, the Christmas song recorded in 1994 was a song from Home Alone (the theme, perhaps?). Michael invited a full children's choir, decorated the studio, and had an engineer (Brad Sundberg, I believe) dress up as Santa Claus and hand out presents to the kids. I've never heard the Lisa Marie connection, but it's almost certainly false. I'm intrigued to find out though!

Back