Sony may unearth new songs individually over the next months and years

Last I heard, the Christmas song recorded in 1994 was a song from Home Alone (the theme, perhaps?). Michael invited a full children's choir, decorated the studio, and had an engineer (Brad Sundberg, I believe) dress up as Santa Claus and hand out presents to the kids. I've never heard the Lisa Marie connection, but it's almost certainly false. I'm intrigued to find out though!

I came here to say that. Brad Sundberg talked about that in his episode on TheMJCast.

Last I heard, the Christmas song recorded in 1994 was a song from Home Alone (the theme, perhaps?). Michael invited a full children's choir, decorated the studio, and had an engineer (Brad Sundberg, I believe) dress up as Santa Claus and hand out presents to the kids. I've never heard the Lisa Marie connection, but it's almost certainly false. I'm intrigued to find out though!

Ah, thought there might've been some legitimacy to the Christmas recording but the Lisa Marie thing just sounds fake.

If the Christmas song rumors are true, I hope the song gets released someday. I always feel that the only thing missing in Michael's career is an adult Christmas album or a song. Look at Elvis, he has so many Christmas albums that do really well during the Christmas season. That's how he stays ahead of Michael in sales. Michael outsells him during most of the year, but then during the Christmas season, Elvis makes a dramatic comeback thanks to his many Christmas albums. Look at Mariah Carey. Nowadays, she is only relevant on the charts during the Christmas season. Michael obviously doesn't need the Christmas season to be relevant, but it will make his legacy a bit better if he has a Christmas album/song. So I'm hoping and praying that this Christmas song is legit and it gets released someday during the Christmas season.

I came here to say that. Brad Sundberg talked about that in his episode on TheMJCast.
Yeah, and he showed footage he filmed of the day the studio got decorated and the kids came in during some seminars (the footage was nice but not extremely remarkable, I think it didn't show MJ). Iirc he said the choir did record their parts but MJ never did his vocals. Never mentioned anything about the Lisa Marie thing.

Hess;4230915 said:
Also - duet with Lisa Marie Presley? - I know she made music, but I would prefer a MJ solo version. - and if LMP had recorded a Christmas song with MJ, how come she has never mentioned it?

SmoothGangsta;4230923 said:
I did hear about him recording a Christmas song but the Lisa Marie thing is new to me lol.

DanGerouS-;4230925 said:
maybe they never talked about it again, because they broke up and wanted distance from each other?

AlwaysThere;4230927 said:
I've never heard the Lisa Marie connection, but it's almost certainly false. I'm intrigued to find out though!

SoCav;4230952 said:
Never mentioned anything about the Lisa Marie thing.

There was generally an influx of media reports during that period (1994) about the two of them.

Some of those reports stated that the Christmas song (that MJ was working on) was meant to be a duet with Lisa Marie Presley.

MJ desperately wanted to make a duet with her & that Christmas song looked like a perfect chance.

During the song’s recording sessions, MJ was seen in the studio wearing proudly his wedding ring.

But Lisa Marie Presley later (in 1995) publicly implied that she did not intend to sing with him (in any duet) because that could have been perceived as an attempt on her part to ride on his coattails:

Diane Sawyer: “One more question I wanna make sure I ask. Are you going to sing together?”

Lisa Marie Presley: “No”

Diane Sawyer: “The two of you”

MJ: “(in a singing tone) I would love to sing with you…would you like to sing with me?”

Lisa Marie Presley: “(shaking her head) Mmm, mmm”

Diane Sawyer: “You don’t sing?”

Lisa Marie Presley: “I don’t sing? I, I did sing. If I wanted it…I mean I’m not gonna marry someone for a recording career, just to clear that up as well”

The above excerpt comes from the Prime Time Interview with Diane Sawyer (1995).

Are you.. offended? Cause I said SOME fake songs IMO sound better than the real deal? It's not very difficult for a song to sound better than Michael singing "Jane is a groupie!" for 2 minutes

YES! I wish people would stop raving about "Jane is a Groupie" as though it's something amazing. It's a one-line loop from a jam session.

Yeah, and he showed footage he filmed of the day the studio got decorated and the kids came in during some seminars (the footage was nice but not extremely remarkable, I think it didn't show MJ). Iirc he said the choir did record their parts but MJ never did his vocals. Never mentioned anything about the Lisa Marie thing.

No vocals is not surprising

mj_frenzy;4230985 said:
There was generally an influx of media reports during that period (1994) about the two of them.

Some of those reports stated that the Christmas song (that MJ was working on) was meant to be a duet with Lisa Marie Presley.

MJ desperately wanted to make a duet with her & that Christmas song looked like a perfect chance.

During the song’s recording sessions, MJ was seen in the studio wearing proudly his wedding ring.

But Lisa Marie Presley later (in 1995) publicly implied that she did not intend to sing with him (in any duet) because that could have been perceived as an attempt on her part to ride on his coattails:

It seems rather clear from that interview excerpt that Diane Sawyer threw that question out at random and the media took the thought and ran with it. Lisa Marie pretty explicitly shut it down even as Michael seemed willing and ready.

I feel as though if any Lisa/Michael duet existed we would've heard murmurings about it.

AlwaysThere;4231005 said:
It seems rather clear from that interview excerpt that Diane Sawyer threw that question out at random and the media took the thought and ran with it. Lisa Marie pretty explicitly shut it down even as Michael seemed willing and ready.

I feel as though if any Lisa/Michael duet existed we would've heard murmurings about it.

Yeah, that quote didn’t really prove the point.

That is the most frustrating part when it comes to his unreleased material.

I know it's frustrating that some amazing bangerz such as Shut Up & Dance don't have any vocals. But MJ still probably has more unreleased material than most artists. Unreleased material that actual have vocals, so I think we should be happy about that.

Last edited:
That is the most frustrating part when it comes to his unreleased material.

I pretty much assume that a song has no vocals if we don't have confirmation that it does. MJ didn't record vocals until he was totally happy with the song so most of the unreleased material will not have much vocals if any.

Beats Michael worked on are still something I want to hear, especially those he worked on later in his life. I really want to know where Michael was at musically.

Beats Michael worked on are still something I want to hear, especially those he worked on later in his life. I really want to know where Michael was at musically.

I agree, I'm interested in everything he produced and it kinda makes me sad that I'll probably never get to hear most of it with the current estate.

Agreed but apart from Prince who has tons of unreleased music, some artists who have passed away like George Michael, Whitney Houston, David Bowie etc probably don't have as much left over as MJ has. So we should be thankful there is more left in the vault that is yet to come out.
I know it's frustrating that some amazing bangerz such as Shut Up & Dance don't have any vocals. But MJ still probably has more unreleased material than most artists. Unreleased material that actual have vocals, so I think we should be happy about that.

SmoothGangsta;4231107 said:
MJ didn't record vocals until he was totally happy with the song so most of the unreleased material will not have much vocals if any.

Now, I am having trouble believing that.

MJ used to record his vocals even for songs that he was rather unsure, or not totally happy with, or even for songs that he was just experimenting on them, especially until the direction of the album was beginning to crystallize.

After that point, many of those songs (with his vocals on them) that did not fit to the album’s direction/flow had to remain unreleased.

Rodney Jerkins has already explained it when he was asked about MJ’s unreleased material.

“... I really want people to hear some of the stuff we did together which never made the cut… There’s a whole lot of stuff, just as good, maybe better. People have gotta hear it… Michael records hundreds of songs for an album, so we cut it down to thirty-five of the best tracks, and picked from there. It’s not always about picking the hottest tracks, it’s gotta have a flow, so there’s a good album’s worth of material that could blow your mind …” (Rodney Jerkins, Cut Magazine)

Rodney Jerkins clearly refers not only to many songs (with MJ’s vocals on them) that did not make the ‘Invincible’ album, but also for many other songs (with MJ’s vocals on them, again) that did not make his previous studio albums.

mj_frenzy;4231132 said:

MJ used to record his vocals even for songs that he was rather unsure, or not totally happy with, or even for songs that he was just experimenting on them, especially until the direction of the album was beginning to crystallize.

After that point, many of those songs (with his vocals on them) that did not fit to the album’s direction/flow had to remain unreleased.

Rodney Jerkins has already explained it when he was asked about MJ’s unreleased material.

“... I really want people to hear some of the stuff we did together which never made the cut… There’s a whole lot of stuff, just as good, maybe better. People have gotta hear it… Michael records hundreds of songs for an album, so we cut it down to thirty-five of the best tracks, and picked from there. It’s not always about picking the hottest tracks, it’s gotta have a flow, so there’s a good album’s worth of material that could blow your mind …” (Rodney Jerkins, Cut Magazine)

Rodney Jerkins clearly refers not only to many songs (with MJ’s vocals on them) that did not make the ‘Invincible’ album, but also for many other songs (with MJ’s vocals on them, again) that did not make his previous studio albums.

I definitely have trouble believing this haha. Most of those songs are probably instrumental, or have mumbling vocals on them, just like most of his unreleased catalogue. I don't consider him mumbling over something as it having final vocals.

mj_frenzy;4231132 said:

... I really want people to hear some of the stuff we did together which never made the cut… There’s a whole lot of stuff, just as good, maybe better. People have gotta hear it… Michael records hundreds of songs for an album, so we cut it down to thirty-five of the best tracks, and picked from there. It’s not always about picking the hottest tracks, it’s gotta have a flow, so there’s a good album’s worth of material that could blow your mind …” (Rodney Jerkins, Cut Magazine)

I just read that at least for HiStory there are very few tracks with vocals out there. I believe it was on gearlutz were I read it.

mj_frenzy;4231132 said:

Same guy who said in 1999 that he was returning MJ back to his glory days and basically taking all credit for it. Jerkins was insufferable before Invincible was released and I really don't believe what he says.

Exactly.
We were promised a new Off The Wall style album and that's what was getting people hyped, because as critical as everybody was of MJ, there were few people who didn't want MJ to return to his roots. If Vince had been a return to the Off The Wall vibe, that album would have been a smash hit.
when the album dropped it was clear it was a load of bull - it was just a rehash of tired themes from Thriller onward, with production and instrumentation that bore no resemblance to MJ's glory days at all.

I was saying long before Vince was released that MJ needed to drop the angry, bitter themes, and return to happy vocals. I wanted real instrumentation. So Jerkins' comments made me very happy but he didn't deliver what was suggested.

Last edited:
Exactly.
We were promised a new Off The Wall style album and that's what was getting people hyped, because as critical as everybody was of MJ, there were few people who didn't want MJ to return to his roots. If Vince had been a return to the Off The Wall vibe, that album would have been a smash hit.
when the album dropped it was clear it was a load of bull - it was just a rehash of tired themes from Thriller onward, with production and instrumentation that bore no resemblance to MJ's glory days at all.

Jerkins was very full of himself before Invincible dropped. It's not surprising he tries to make out there are 35 songs they worked on. If that was the case the last two albums wouldn't have been such a sparse collection and trying to complete songs that are unfinished [Hollywood Tonight's repeated lines etc]

Agreed. I'm surprised there are still fans out there who think there's a large vault of unreleased material. Even before the estate confirmed that wasn't the case it was obvious from the content of Xscape and Michael. for one thing it was clear that MJ went through his career drawing heavily on material originally conceived and worked on for earlier (mainly 90s) albums. You don't do that if you are a prolific song writer with lots of great material popping into your mind. Then there are the accounts from people who worked with MJ saying that he would send them off to improve material without recording vocals, only laying down vocals at the end. not to mention that accounts about him only laying down a few lines here or there of a chorus to get the feel for it. He simply didn't over record. then there was Will.i.am saying that MJ kept his vocals separate from the music to prevent piracy. I'd hazard a guess that if the MJ Estate has those in their possession they too are only partially complete. If any MJ song got to the point of near complete studio vocals it was almost a certainty it was going to be released, not left in a vault. also, it's clear MJ didn't store his material well. It wasn't kept in ideal conditions. It wasn't logged and indexed properly. He left vocals / demos on tapes to deteriorate when he should have been converting them to digital, resulting in tape issues like we hear on the demo of Loving You.

We're likely to see MJ tracks released in the future in a similar way to 'It Don't Matter To Me' where they use an MJ snippet in somebody else's track, or they'll allow other people to complete an MJ track, turning it into a duet, similar to Love Never Felt so Good (not that it needed completing in that way).

Agreed. I'm surprised there are still fans out there who think there's a large vault of unreleased material. Even before the estate confirmed that wasn't the case it was obvious from the content of Xscape and Michael. for one thing it was clear that MJ went through his career drawing heavily on material originally conceived and worked on for earlier (mainly 90s) albums. You don't do that if you are a prolific song writer with lots of great material popping into your mind. Then there are the accounts from people who worked with MJ saying that he would send them off to improve material without recording vocals, only laying down vocals at the end. not to mention that accounts about him only laying down a few lines here or there of a chorus to get the feel for it. He simply didn't over record. then there was Will.i.am saying that MJ kept his vocals separate from the music to prevent piracy. I'd hazard a guess that if the MJ Estate has those in their possession they too are only partially complete. If any MJ song got to the point of near complete studio vocals it was almost a certainty it was going to be released, not left in a vault. also, it's clear MJ didn't store his material well. It wasn't kept in ideal conditions. It wasn't logged and indexed properly. He left vocals / demos on tapes to deteriorate when he should have been converting them to digital, resulting in tape issues like we hear on the demo of Loving You.

We're likely to see MJ tracks released in the future in a similar way to 'It Don't Matter To Me' where they use an MJ snippet in somebody else's track, or they'll allow other people to complete an MJ track, turning it into a duet, similar to Love Never Felt so Good (not that it needed completing in that way).

I disagree with many of your points.
MJ explained during the Dangerous court case how he stored his songs in his vault.
If you are talking about the sounds in the very beginning of Loving You, those were intended!

The Estate already said that there won't be another release like "Don't Matter To Me" with MJ as a featured artist.

While there may not be a huge number of finished unreleased songs left, I disagree with people saying that there might only be 15-20 songs left and I still don't think the Estate has any overview of what is in the vault.
I could actually name 14 songs that we know for sure are vocally in a complete state:

-Chicago 1945
-Don't Be Messin'
-Get Your Weight Off Of Me
-Hot Fun In The Summer Time
-Joy
-Man In Black
-Rolling The Dice
-The Loser
-Throwing Your Life Away
-Tomboy
-Victory
-What You Do To Me
-Willing And Waiting

And then Zeus7 posted on the other thread that there is a "very sexual, sance r and b song" without a name that is fully complete that was played at a Brad seminar.

I disagree with many of your points.
MJ explained during the Dangerous court case how he stored his songs in his vault.
If you are talking about the sounds in the very beginning of Loving You, those were intended!

The Estate already said that there won't be another release like "Don't Matter To Me" with MJ as a featured artist.

While there may not be a huge number of finished unreleased songs left, I disagree with people saying that there might only be 15-20 songs left and I still don't think the Estate has any overview of what is in the vault.
I could actually name 14 songs that we know for sure are vocally in a complete state:

-Chicago 1945
-Don't Be Messin'
-Get Your Weight Off Of Me
-Hot Fun In The Summer Time
-Joy
-Man In Black
-Rolling The Dice
-The Loser
-Throwing Your Life Away
-Tomboy
-Victory
-What You Do To Me
-Willing And Waiting

And then Zeus7 posted on the other thread that there is a "very sexual, sance r and b song" without a name that is fully complete that was played at a Brad seminar.

Hot fun and man in black aren't complete?

Back