What would you consider "proof" that MJ's is over?

When I say "over" I mean strictly in the sense of being a major or domninant commerical artist. For example, Amy Winehouse is currently a major or dominant commerical artist. When she releases her next album, there will be certain sales expectations. People will expect her album to be one of the top sellers of the year. I am strickly talking numbers here -- MASS APPEAL in a commercial sense.

When I say "over" I don't mean in the sense of being artisitic or creatively over (for example).
Well, I don't define that as being 'over'.

DoDarobotrighton, this thread and questions are irrelevant, The Jacksons even when they weren't selling well in the mid 70s weren't over and they aren't going to be over now if they don't sell a zillion albums, if you measure everything by sales how about saving yourself the anxiety attacks and lick JustinUsherChrisNeyo's arse maybe they are more relevant for you and not over perhaps then you won't have to make asinine threads like this, just a thought.

mJ can announce a retirement and he'd still not be over.. His music still lives on and the media does not let him go away even when he tries to. He can't be over

The last sentence says everything you need to know about this article. If not that, then there's the part about Justin possibly being KOP and Madonna the greatest of all-time while Jackson is a weirdo pedophile blah blah blah. Forget about it. Just another cynic claiming to be a "realist," but is in fact just a cynic with a depressing attitude. The line about folks saying years from now that the "real" King of Pop came in the form of Timberlake doesn't even sound that realistic, since JT hasn't shown anything that I believe will have long lasting timeless impact. So basically, the writer just stretched merely for the sake of being negative. I.E. cynical, and borderline emo if he's actually serious about being a fan. People like that, whether they're right or wrong (wrong in this case I believe) make the world a crappier place to be in. It's always the optimistic, even if they're optimistic to a fault, that make great things happen.

As long as people still have access to radio, television and internet, Michael will NEVER be over. I mean look at how popular he is on sites like Youtube and itunes. The video for "Thriller" has been in and out of the U.S. Itunes top 10 since it became available to download. Michael aint over. You can't forget somebody like Michael Jackson and as long as there are all these artists like Chris Brown, Ne-Yo, Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, Mary J. Blige, Kanye West, etc. sampling his songs and paying homage, he will continue to remain relevant.

Last edited:
You know, I really don't get it. :mello:

No artist stays on top forever, but just because they may not be on top (and on top of what one might ask? On top of a heap of smelly crappy music? Is that what people want?), we can't enjoy them anymore? :huh:

this is so true! and not every artist who makes it to commercial success leaves a mark in history. michael has not made new music in a loooooong time but still, he is a force to reckon with. every artist of whatever genre looks up to him bec. how many can u name who has made an impact in the music industry the way michael did?( i don't have to enumerate all the things he revolutionized as any MJ fan worth his salt knows about this already).

no proof is needed that michael is "over" bec. obviously he isnt. The mere fact that his every move is news is proof. Who would want to talk about someone who is over the hill?

also,his talent continues to awe artists who are chartmakers themselves (think, akon,will.i.am,chris brown,ne-yo,etc). to this day his music and talent is listened to by people all over the world. how many artist can u count who has worldwide appeal?

overall, i think the article is crap. obviously, no thought was put in there;)

Im just leaving my mark .. :rolleyes:
that I have read this and I will not respond to the
NONSENSE -- becuase if I let out my true thoughts
I would probaby be banned :LOL: thats ALL .. (smile)

You know, everybody is always attributing Michael's so-called "downfall" to the allegations and weirdness. Critics are always saying that he is done.

Yet, when I first saw the enormous popularity of Michael and his work in places like YouTube and Itunes, I realized just how wrong Michael's critics are. Michael almost rules on YouTube! He has ten times more coverage over there than Justin Timberlake. With all the flack that he has gotten from mass media, you would think that young people would shun him. But not so.

The internet has really turned out to be Michael's best tool in keeping himself relevant and introducing himself to younger generations.

I love the fans. Always oh so positive! :D

Michael will be over when he feels like it. That's my answer. He's too talented to ever become irrelivent, I'm serious.

That article, which I didn't read, I just glanced at it, saw the last line, and knew it was the worst trash ever, isn't conclusive about anything.

Michael hasn't had anything less then a number one since "OTW" and there's no reason or indication that it will change any time soon. He has massive staying power simply because he can do what no one else on this planet can.

Last edited:
Might be a stupid question but how could Michael possibly be over? Here we are and I think I can speak for most of us - we are here to stay.

I love the fans. Always oh so positive! :D

Michael will be over when he feels like it. That's my answer. He's too talented to ever become irrelivent, I'm serious.

That article, which I didn't read, I just glanced at it, saw the last line, and knew it was the worst trash ever, isn't conclusive about anything.

Michael hasn't had anything less then a number one since "OTW" and there's no reason or indication that it will change any time soon. He has massive staying power simply because he can do what no one else on this planet can.

Great post. :D Same to you Shannon! Voices of reason. ^_^

Michael will never be over and i mean never. Are you kidding This man is the greatest intertainer of all time has broke barriors after barriors in music. I could go on and on but i won,t this is a stupit question to start michael over no.

AW: Re: What would you consider "proof" that MJ's is over?

You may be right that I'm pessimistic. But, on some days, I'm way optimistic.

I just don't want to be a deluded MJ fan.

So I'm looking for some kind of objectivie evidence let's say.

What objective measure would you say we could use to determine this?

You will be hardpressed to find objective opinions on such a touchy subject on a fanboard! ^_^

Well I'll be...LOL

you'd would think the day he works with Eddie Murphy would be the day he was over...eh. I guess not.

What would prove to you that MJ is over as a significant popular-culture artist?

If this person even has to ask such a question as this, it can only mean one thing, and one thing only.

MJ is not over.

If he were, there would be no reason to ask.

The only thing that Michael Jackson has to do to dust everybody is be Michael Jackson and not hold back. He knows who he is. He knows what he's capable of. And even when he's not putting forth his full effort, he still excels.

I wonder what this writer thinks would have happened to Justin's album sales if he had put out a brand new album, created only one video, did no touring and then was accused of the unthinkable?

That's what happened to MJ right after he released Invincible. While he was preoccupied with all the media attacks and what not, Invincible was selling itself. Actually, Invincible is still selling itself. Its title is very fitting.

Also, wasn't there a period in either 2002 or 2003 where all of Michael's albums were on the charts at the same time? I know I remember this happening, I just can't remember which year it was.

Last edited:
Im just leaving my mark .. :rolleyes:
that I have read this and I will not respond to the
NONSENSE -- becuase if I let out my true thoughts
I would probaby be banned :LOL: thats ALL ..
(smile)

^^ I feel the same way!:yes:

To quote Michaels then music advisor charles?? something sorry name escapes me! and also in latest Ebony interview! Michael has done so much , achieved so much, broke every record going, he does not care about chart positions anymore, nor does he care about how he is percieved commercially! HE IS THE KING OF POP! because all he wants now, is to put out music that everyone can releate to, *quote* i want to make music that you can hum to, whistle to and sing to, from the guy in the street to the top of the music ladder (or words to that effect) so , how can he be over if he acheieves this? For me, hearing him and hopefully seeing him soon will be enough, he is creative and has a good heart, what else do you need. If you can make a melody , then success will follow, not the other way round, and Michael Jackson equates to a success unrivalled , JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE look out!! That time has been and now the return of the master of music is nigh, take heed.

Terry

"over"? what do you mean"over" He will NEVER be "over"
period

:lol: Ok.. here it is in a short version:

What would you have to see for you to be convinced that MJ is over as a significant or dominant commercial force?

For example, if "Thriller 25" sells 200,000 copies and the new album sells (even after significant promotion, videos etc.) 600,000 copies, would that be convincing to you?

If not, what would be?
Well that.
But are we talking about world wide sales or just the US. I think when it comes to Michael you can never talk just about the US sales because Michael has a huge fan base outside the US.
And if he announced a tour and the tickets would not sell and he'd have to either re place the concert to a smaller place (like George Michael just had to do here in Helsinki, same happened to the Stones, they're still gonna do the stadium but there are still plenty of tickets left.) or cancel the concerts.
If the paparazis would stop following Michael and reporting his every move. And if the fans would stop coming to his hotel or trying to find him when he is in town.
THEN I WOULD BELIEVE THAT HE*S OVER. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Originally Posted by RightOn
Again, I am not speaking about his "Legendary status" or his "creative abilities". MJ is a legend and he can still do great things in my opinion.

But there are loads of great acts that are no longer commercially significant. For example:
- Stevie Wonder
- Paul MacCartney
- The Rolling Stones
- Prince

Right on, i see where you're coming from but for Michael, we'll still need to wait and see. If he can't produce hits and his new album can't chart well, i'll then think he's over.
but one thing for sure, it's unlikely he'll be able to achieve the success he had in the 80s and early 90s when he dominated the whole music scene and overshadowed everyone else.

Judging on youtube views, Feedback is a flop considering Britney Spears has over 10million views in less than one month.

Re: AW: What would you consider "proof" that MJ's is over?

What would prove it?? Well, if a new album with all new material would bomb! Otherwise there is no real way of telling! If you look at catalog sales, he's still going strong! As good or even better as his contemporaries!

And as for Janet's last 3 album flopping! It was only 2! "All for you" did well!

I agree.
And BTW, I can't believe this single is flopping. I thought it had some great reviews, and a lot of people liked it all over the internet. I thought there was a lot of hype going around. Well,after a while,you just need to look for your personal satisfaction,I guess. For example, the newest J.Lo album, Brave, is her best in the opinion of many fans, and whatsoever, critics,which is shocking. But still,it is her lowest selling one. Which is a shame. I hope Michael doesn't go like this. Although,let's face Michael is 5 times bigger and better than both of the 2 divas. And his trace will never fade. So he will NEVER be over.

Back