What instrument(s) can MJ play?

i think the proper answer is no one really knows, because even though he may be credited with instrumentation on the albums, he's not shown us any sign as to the extent of his performance skills.

as far as credits go, on Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad he's credited for playing percussion.

on Dangerous a lot of the stuff was synthesised or programmed on various machines so it was mainly keyboard work and i think i remember him being credited for that somewhere but not much else.

then on HIStory it expands in getting into keyboard, synths and guitar. he's credited with virtually every instrument on Morphine. and also drum programming (though i'm 90% sure that just means laying down his beatboxing).

and on Invincible it's the same scenario as Dangerous where a lot of the tracks had mainly synthesis and programming so credits read like "All musical instruments performed by Michael Jackson and Rodney Jerkins".

Percussion, keyboards, and synthesizers I believe he does play more often.

I heard he plays the drums and the guitar as a chord instrumentalist, lol.

teddy reily once talked about mj playing intruments during the dangerous era/recording. i guess it all depends on what u mean interms of being able to play and what ability

I think there's those who say Michael can play them but I guess it's not good enough for him to do live. I mean he probably didn't practice at playing instruments like Tito, Jermaine and Randy so he, Marlon and Jackie were probably more adept at singing and dancing than instruments though I heard all six Jackson men can play instruments.

i think many people overestimate the fact that you can simply play an instrument without taking into account how skilled/naturally talented you are at doing it. same with thinking that if their artist plays but doesn't (can't) read music then they're somehow extra special, lol. (wrong)

Lauryn Hill picked up and learned the guitar in a matter of a few months, then went and made a full album from it with just three chords played differently on all 12 tracks
f_laugh.gif

sounded good, mind you.

i think the proper answer is no one really knows, because even though he may be credited with instrumentation on the albums, he's not shown us any sign as to the extent of his performance skills.

as far as credits go, on Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad he's credited for playing percussion.

on Dangerous a lot of the stuff was synthesised or programmed on various machines so it was mainly keyboard work and i think i remember him being credited for that somewhere but not much else.

then on HIStory it expands in getting into keyboard, synths and guitar. he's credited with virtually every instrument on Morphine. and also drum programming (though i'm 90% sure that just means laying down his beatboxing).

and on Invincible it's the same scenario as Dangerous where a lot of the tracks had mainly synthesis and programming so credits read like "All musical instruments performed by Michael Jackson and Rodney Jerkins".
Excellent answer. :clapping:

i think many people overestimate the fact that you can simply play an instrument without taking into account how skilled/naturally talented you are at doing it. same with thinking that if their artist plays but doesn't (can't) read music then they're somehow extra special, lol. (wrong)

Lauryn Hill picked up and learned the guitar in a matter of a few months, then went and made a full album from it with just three chords played differently on all 12 tracks
f_laugh.gif

sounded good, mind you.

L. Hill was brave to do that entire album the way she did, I admired what she did with that album even if many didn't understand.

I don't think Michael would give himself credit on his album notes for instruments he never played. So I'm pretty sure Michael can play Percussion, keyboards, synthesizers and guitar. But because I've never seen him play them, I'm not to sure how good Michael is at playing them. Though he must be good, because he's played those instruments on his albums.

I think in a 1991-92 Rolling Stone cover story on Michael. Teddy Riley said Michael had the ability to be a great guitar player, or something along that line.

I agree with troubleman84 than Michael mainly plays percussion, keyboards, and synthesizers. At least when making demos of his songs.

Imgine MJ playin give in to me on stage wite a guitar!!!!

:O

Back