How well do people in London understand strangers?:)

Dangerous 1991 HIStory

Proud Member
Me and my friends are all 17-18 years old, so our english is not too advanced.
While i have no problems watching movies without subtitles, im worried if people will understand me.

Im also interested if people in London talk fast? :)

LoL...what a cute question. Well, there are SOO many foreigners living in London (including me) that they are used to ALL types of accents! So there is no need to worry about that!

Where are you guys from?

In my opinion the people from London are very friendly and helpfull, especially the ones working in public places.

I think they are friendlier than people in for example Amsterdam or Paris (those tend to be rude, lol).

Yes they talk fast, but I can tell you get a lot of help!! It is amazing, when it comes to Michael, they will lend you a hand. Very friendly people

Lol, aww :)

From my experience, i don't think london is very friendly with foreigners/tourists. I'm not saying it's their fault necessarily, because it's the same here in Brighton; where I live!

Thanks for all replys!:)

LoL...what a cute question. Well, there are SOO many foreigners living in London (including me) that they are used to ALL types of accents! So there is no need to worry about that!

Where are you guys from?

Cute? Okaaaay :)
We are from Slovenia. :) (It is small country between Italy, Hungary, Austria and Croatia)

In my opinion the people from London are very friendly and helpfull, especially the ones working in public places.

I think they are friendlier than people in for example Amsterdam or Paris (those tend to be rude, lol).

People in Amsterdam looked very kind. They were really helpful, at least to my family. :)
But I agree that French people ussually ignore everyone that doesn't speak french:)

you will be fine. we are used to all the tourists here, and ppl are usually helpful if you don't know where you are going, need help with the london underground,etc.

of course, it helps if you are a young attractive female :p

By the way, if anyone's around london in July and wants a fellow fan to speak with, i'm here! I'm 21 and am a fully trained teacher in English as a Foreign Language, as well as having French as a 2nd language! I also study English literature and french at uni, so am used to mixing with new people :) PM me if u wana chat!

Also, as for london, people have mixed attitudes to foreigners. Most people are fine, especially those in the entertainment/tourist industry, but some business people can be a bit off.

LOL, I went to London twice and people were not friendly to me! :p (I'm not saying all people who live in London are not nice, but the people I met overthere weren't nice at all)

I'm Asian and appearantly some people overthere had problems with that. I was in line at Burger King and wanted to have some mayonaise, since the guy behind the counter did not understand what I was trying to say I tried to describe it, I went like ''It's the white sauce on the burgers'', he still didn't understand me so I gave up. When I walked away, I clearly could hear the guy saying ''Damn, those Asians annoy me''.

My English writing may not be perfect, but I'm pretty good when it comes down to speaking since I used to live in America for a couple of months. So it's not that they didn't understand what I was trying to say, because my English wasn't clear enough to them.

I also bought myself a tube ticket, when the cashier asked me if I would like to buy a Day ticket and I said no he was like ''Well, how do you think you're coming back then?'' and when I told him I would walk back so I could visit some shops on my way back he gave me this snobby look and replied with ''Whateeeeeeever''. Like what the hell ? xD

I also met this guy, who lives in London, on the internet and when I told him I liked London as a city he replied with ''Yeah me too, just sucks there are so many Asians''.

I'm not saying all British people are mean and rude, I probably just happened to meet the wrong people. xD

I've been to London twice and this gonna be my 3rd time. Most people there are very friendly and want to help you. I also came across people who where less friendly and didn't want to help but that happens everywhere.

And yes sometimes people in the UK tend to speak fast but if you explain that you don't get it totally they mostly repeat it slower.
Ohh and a map of London and travelguide are handy specially when you need directions. Once i didn't understand the directions someone was giving me so i showed the map i had and that made it much easier.

London is one of/if not the most multicultural cities in the world so its very tolerate of all races etc.
I think its generally friendly...if you get the timing right.
I would also say that the 'real londeners' are the most friendly so just look out for the really strong 'Londoner/english accent'.
I think maybe they can come across as quite serious and so may seem unfriendly, but they are just like that cause they want to help.

Well, thats my interpretation of London people...I live in Scotland.

i wouldnt worry im from the north of england and they dont understand me either.lol loodon has a reputation of being unfriendly because its a big city and no one has the time of day for anyone else because they are rushing everywhere and the theroy of the further north u go in the uk the friendlier ppl are. but most ppl are ok. like with anywhere u will get rude ppl as well as decent ppl. i wouldnt worry about being from a different country there, theres more foregin ppl in london than brits lol going into burger king or mac ds is like being abroad on holiday. no ones understands u and you get a totally different order to what u asked for lol

pple have been telling me mixed things. when i told my sister who stays there,due to the military, ill be going 2 a pub she said "an american in a london pub??! id love 2see that" and she also said i shud worry about gettin shanked or stabbed cuz there is alot of thats goin on lol,and not 2 wear to many mj shirts cuz ill look like a tourist and pple will be rude. im like what the hell lol.

^ :unsure: what the heck? I'm really starting to not like the sounds of this. AND whats the deal with hatin' on Asians? Now I'm starting to wonder about the hate on african americans? What in the world! Why the dislike for americans or tourist in general. I mean your sister sounds like she knows what the deal is if she's in the military. Michaelsson please tell me your not going alone?

And to think I was thinking about going ALONE myself. THese folk betsta not make me get STRAIGHT PROJECT HOOD ON THEM. ah right MATEs.:ermm:

not saying all londoners are like this.

I'm a born and bred Londoner lol.

michaelsson, don't worry about getting stabbed lol you only have to worry about things like that in really dodgy areas, not like where the O2 is or central London or anything.

I love London but I admit that people here aren't always that friendly. But MJ fans are!

I'm sorry that you snorlaaax had a bad time here to do with you race, but I think you were just unfortunate. That is horrible that you had to put up with that. Basically all Londoners I know are not like that at all. 1/3 of London is made up of ethnic minorities.

I'm so excited that all the Americans are coming here :wild: I love Americans LOL I don't see many in London, personally :eek:

^ :unsure: what the heck? I'm really starting to not like the sounds of this. AND whats the deal with hatin' on Asians? Now I'm starting to wonder about the hate on african americans? What in the world! Why the dislike for americans or tourist in general. I mean your sister sounds like she knows what the deal is if she's in the military. Michaelsson please tell me your not going alone?

And to think I was thinking about going ALONE myself. THese folk betsta not make me get STRAIGHT PROJECT HOOD ON THEM. ah right MATEs.:ermm:

i hope they love african americans lol well they shud they love mikey so they gotta love us hahaha. and yea when she told me im like ommfg,my paradise vacation is going to be a nightmare lol. and no im not goin alone,plus my sister will be meetin us to show us around since ill be n town a week b4 the show. and lol yea i dont wanna have 2act a fool neither.

I'm a born and bred Londoner lol.

michaelsson, don't worry about getting stabbed lol you only have to worry about things like that in really dodgy areas, not like where the O2 is or central London or anything.

I love London but I admit that people here aren't always that friendly. But MJ fans are!

I'm so excited that all the Americans are coming here :wild: I love Americans LOL I don't see many in London, personally :eek:

ill admit a just a tad bit worried not 2much, i mean i planned on wearing a different mj shirt a day,but if im gonna get treated like shit 4it i mean,well nvm i dont care im wearing michael loud and proud lol. but yea hopefully ur right,and aww lol we r excited to be coming to london!!!

shaun don't get stabbed over it! Lol fit in, we've worked on the accent, i'll help w/ the slang, we'll do it man

lmao i know right! im gettin that accent down packed cdfu(lol)!! u know we can get a bit ghetto @ times tho lol

Oh dear.. I'm having second thoughts about going alone now. Damnit.

lol @ this thread

I've been wondering this too.

Stop worrying people..

You have to be cautious like you have to be in every big city but overall central London is a friendly place for a tourist.

No idea what it is like for a non-white person but London is very multiracial, wouldnt worry about it.

Last edited:
lol, I cant believe how much people are freaking out.
Its just like any other big city...New York, Paris, Rome etc...but infact, I would personally say that of all the big cities, London, overall, is the safest. You will find there is a feeling of safety more so than other european cities. A friend of mine from Australia, stayed in Italy and got mugged. Since then, she has been scred to go out alone in public but when she came to visit me in London, she was so suprised about how safe she felt in such a big city that she decided to go shopping alone!

You will be fine guys/girls, stop worrying.

All I will say is, be very understanding of the way 'the system' works.
I will give you an example of ignorance. I was in a restaurant in London with my friend, and next to us was an American family. When the waitress came to take their order. The american said he wanted a sandwich without the bread. Of course, the waitress said that we dont do that, you have to pick from the menu and there are salads or sandwichs. The american then was really rude and said 'why cant you make a sandwich without the bread, thats all I want, cant you do it'.
Well, Im sorry but, how stupid can you be, a sandwich is not a sandwich without bread and I suppose unlike in America, europeans stick to whats on the menu.
It is just things like that to watch out for, be tolerate of how we do things and you will be fine.

Anyway, make sure you get a map. You can just follow that and keep to yourself if you are alone. London is a very 'organised' city, in the sense that, it is easy to find things, despite it being quite big, so if you just follow the map you will be fine...and probably wont need to ask any strangers directions.

London is a great city - people should not stress so much over it lol. And there are LOADS of foreigners - hard to find a Brit most of the time!

I dont want to worry about it but I m worrying coz I use English as 2nd language and I am Asian one. On July I will fly alone ..and will be my first time to London. I dont like when somebody look down on Asian especially Thai Girl.

I think Gaz Idea is cool (another thread_CLUB MJJC) that will help us a lot

Blue Eyed Belle , can I talk to you ? :)

Actually I have my friend there but they cant go with me everywhere so I set to travel around before the show and hope London ppl will help me when I have a question about ticket or way to go :)

I like african-american You guy have your own style :D

I dont want to worry about it but I m worrying coz I use English as 2nd language and I am Asian one. On July I will fly alone ..and will be my first time to London. I dont like when somebody look down on Asian especially Thai Girl.

I think Gaz Idea is cool (another thread_CLUB MJJC) that will help us a lot

Blue Eyed Belle , can I talk to you ? :)

Actually I have my friend there but they cant go with me everywhere so I set to travel around before the show and hope London ppl will help me when I have a question about ticket or way to go :)

I like african-american You guy have your own style :D

Don't worry too much about it. ;) I probably just met the wrong people, it could happen in any other town so don't get too nervous about it, and there are also a lot of Asians in London (most of them are from India, ect), so if they don't want to help us at Burger King, we can always eat some curry (YUMMY), bet they want to help us overthere. :p
Besides, Michael fans are most of the time very nice and respect every kind of race, so there shouldn't be a big problem. Bet you're going to be fine and find lots of people who are willing to help you!

And my father happens to be Thai too! :D

LOL, I went to London twice and people were not friendly to me! :p (I'm not saying all people who live in London are not nice, but the people I met overthere weren't nice at all)

I'm Asian and appearantly some people overthere had problems with that. I was in line at Burger King and wanted to have some mayonaise, since the guy behind the counter did not understand what I was trying to say I tried to describe it, I went like ''It's the white sauce on the burgers'', he still didn't understand me so I gave up. When I walked away, I clearly could hear the guy saying ''Damn, those Asians annoy me''.

My English writing may not be perfect, but I'm pretty good when it comes down to speaking since I used to live in America for a couple of months. So it's not that they didn't understand what I was trying to say, because my English wasn't clear enough to them.

I also bought myself a tube ticket, when the cashier asked me if I would like to buy a Day ticket and I said no he was like ''Well, how do you think you're coming back then?'' and when I told him I would walk back so I could visit some shops on my way back he gave me this snobby look and replied with ''Whateeeeeeever''. Like what the hell ? xD

I also met this guy, who lives in London, on the internet and when I told him I liked London as a city he replied with ''Yeah me too, just sucks there are so many Asians''.

I'm not saying all British people are mean and rude, I probably just happened to meet the wrong people. xD

im sorry you got treated like that when you came over here.
and i have even been treated horribly in london.
and im english. lol but i wouldnt like working in london.
perhaps they were having a bad day.

but other than that.
were pretty nice people.
aspecialy us MJ fans.
i will welcome everyone.
:D
i love MJ fans.

Back