Everything you ever wanted to know about worldwide record sales—Michael Jackson, the Beatles, Pink F

KB50MJ

Proud Member
Everything you ever wanted to know about worldwide record sales—Michael Jackson, the Beatles, Pink Floyd and more!

On the UK message board I wrote about last week, ukmix.org, a poster calling himself MJDangerous has been submitting reams of information about sales figures from around the world, notably about Michael Jackson.

With that exhaustive data, I first assumed he was a Sony employee, based either in Britain or France. MJDangerous was kind enough to respond to an email I sent him. It turns out he is French, just recently out of school and working as an engineer. His name is Guillaume Vieira. He’s not in the business at all, but rather a fan who for the last six years has been collecting press releases, Billboard stories and sales data and collating them into a coherent and persuasive portrait of an elusive beast: Legitimate accountings of worldwide record sales. I found the information he had at his fingertips impressive*.

We had the following chat over the weekend. I rearranged it a little and did some minor editing.

Hitsville: Thanks for taking the time to talk about this. What’s your experience in collecting worldwide sales figures? They are notoriously difficult to discern, aren’t they?

Guillaume Vieira: Figures are difficult to discern in the beginning, but I faced enough of them to discern them immediately and quite easily now. I’ve checked charts, certifications and officially reported sales of over 10,000 albums in the last six years. When a figure is said to have been officially reported but hasn’t, I know it instantly. As I said, it is easy for me—I already know all the figures that have been really reported.

Hitsville: As you’ve no doubt noticed, the New York Times after Michael Jackson’s death stated flatly that he had sold 750 million records worldwide, and that Thriller had sold an “estimated” 100 million. Every other news outlet in the land, not to mention the indefatigable U.S. cable channels, cited similar figures. Are they accurate? What’s your best estimate about Thriller?

Vieira: The figure of “over 100 million” for Thriller came out, just like the figure of 750 million for Jackson, in November 2006 at World Music Awards. The last reported figure by Sony was 54 million worldwide, during the HIStory era, while the Guinness Book of World Records reported Thriller at “over 50 million” worldwide. In 2006, his management team reported it sold 104 million worldwide—54 million in the US according to the RIAA and 50 million elsewhere according to Guinness!

Thriller indeed sold over 28 million copies in the US. It was a giant blockbuster there (37 weeks #1). But to sell 100 million it would have to be even more successful in every other market than in the US, which represents 40 percent of international sales. It was for sure a blockbuster, but that much was simply not possible!

In UK, its shipment is up to 4,12 million copies with last week’s sales.

In France, it sold a record breaking 3,3 million copies (1,8 million by Feb 1984 according to Billboard; 2,5 million by 1988 according to SNEP—the French equivalent of the RIAA. Then we have documented sales for recent years).

Italy, 1,19 million up to 2001, published by Sony Music. Thriller 25 is Gold there, as a whole it sold 1,3 million in this country by now.

Germany, 3xPlat (1,5m**) since 1995, not many figures since that time but chart performances put it around 2 million.

Sweden, recently certified 4xPlatinum, 400,000, plus 20,000 copies for Thriller 25.

Netherlands, 800,000 copies by 1996 (8xPlatinum, highest certified album ever), by now over 1 million.

Austria, 400,000, 8xPlatinum, again highest figure ever reached (local albums included).

Belgium, 550,000, 11xPlatinum, second to Helmut Lotti’s Goes Classic only.

Spain, 500,000 by 1984, around a million currently.

In Europe, it sold close to 17 million copies. This figure is massive—more impressive than 28 million in US. Since IFPI introduced album certifications for Europe in 1994, no album ever reached even 10 million. The only one studio album that reached 10 million in Europe in the last 20 years is Dangerous, by Michael Jackson himself, released in 1991, which sold 12 million copies in the old continent. That album, regarded as half a flop in the US, is to Europe/Asia/Oceania the equivalent of Shania Twain’s Come On Over in the US—The biggest album released in the last 2 decades.

Billboard recently reported a figure of 2,5 million copies in Japan for Thriller (it sold 1,616,000 copies while charting in 83/84 alone, without counting imports, 30% of sales of foreign acts). It sold around 6,5 million in Asia.

Over a million in Australia, recently certified 14xPlatinum (980,000). In South America, it is the best selling album ever for a foreign act: more than 600,000 copies in Argentina, over 1,3 million in Brazil, 400,000 in Chile and a million in Mexico. Then over 3 million in Canada. In Africa, it sold 600,000 copies in South Africa alone, 300,000 copies in Turkey, over 2 million in the continent.

Then we only have to add figures: US 28,5m, Europe 17m, Canada 3,3m, Asia 6,5m, Latin America + Oceania 6m, Africa 2m, total around 63 million. As you can see, a lot of accurate data is actually known; the jigsaw is far from being as obscure as people may think. Give or take a maximum of 2m, this figure of 63 million is correct.

Hitsville: What’s your ballpark estimate of how many records Jackson sold worldwide?

Vieira:

Albums - at least 205 million, at most 225 million
Singles - at least 105 million, at most 120 million
Digital singles - at least 19 million, at most 22 million
Music Videos - at least 14 million, at most 17 million
Ringtones - 2 million, give or take a few thousands (1,4 million in the US)

All those figures don’t include sales of the Jackson 5/Jacksons, except for Digital singles. The group sold:

Albums - at least 45 million, at most 60 million
Singles - at least 40 million, at most 55 million

All together, that puts a ballpark at 430—500 million, but since some figures may be a bit too high, and others too low (they aren’t all in the low side or all in the high side), a more correct one would be worldwide records sales somewhere between 450 million and 480 million.

That’s around 80 million more than Elvis Presley, 40 million under the Beatles***.

Hitsville: Those are impressive figures, even if they don’t approach those big round numbers the papers were tossing about. Let’s talk about the Jackson Five for a minute. It’s funny—while I hadn’t published it, I was working on a post discussing whether the figure of 100 million sold for the Jackson Five, as is claimed, could possibly be right. To be honest, I thought it couldn’t; their heyday lasted about 18 months. In the U.S. they’re the equivalent of, say, Three Dog Night. On the other hand, I also remember Michael Jackson perhaps in the Martin Bashir documentary, recalling that as a 12-year-old he would get royalty checks of $200,000, which I thought was a large figure a) at the time and b) considering infinitesimal royalty rate the group was getting from Motown. But it makes sense if the group was selling records at those levels. Did they really sell anything like 100 million records?

Guillaume: The Jackson 5/Jacksons did sell around 100 million; they sold around 50 million of each singles and albums. But that is up to now! When that figure was first claimed in 1977, they were obviously, far, far from reaching it. That claim even supposed they were the second group reaching that milestone after the Beatles—outselling even the Rolling Stones, which was not true at all (and still isn’t!). Their single sales in the US were massive; even up to now they still are close to Madonna in this area, and outsold acts like Whitney Houston.

Hitsville: In the context of Motown, the Jacksons were the label’s 5th or 6th biggest act. As I look over a crude marker like the biggest chart acts of Billboard, its strikes me that Berry Gordy oversaw the careers of close to ten percent of the biggest acts in history. Do you have an off-the-cuff sense of how many records Motown sold?

Guillaume: Motown sales were truly gigantic in the 60s and 70s. Single sales were huge at that time and to be honest they were definitely dominating that sector. Album sales of Motown acts are very often not that impressive: First because the market wasn’t big at the time, second because their acts are more remembered for their singles than their albums in general, third because Motown releases the same hits packages again and again, cannibalizing sales of original albums. Only Stevie Wonder, and later Lionel Richie, sold loads of albums while signed by Motown. It is hard to guess the entire sales of the label (especialy since I haven’t studied several of their key acts), but let’s check a few of them:

- Jackson 5 - 70 million (not including sales of the Jacksons, who weren’t on Motown anymore)
- Michael Jackson - 20 million
- Stevie Wonder - 170 million
- Lionel Richie - 85 million
- Diana Ross/Supremes - 190 million
- Commodores - 60 million
- The Temptations - 110 million
- Marvin Gaye - 110 million
- Four Tops - 40 million
- Miracles/Smokey Robinson - 55 million

A total of 910 million - most of them were singles. With all their acts, it is safe to say the Motown label sold well over 1 billion records, which is an incredible total.

Hitsville: Now, if it’s fair to toss in the Jackson Five’s sales with Michael’s, it’s fair to toss in Paul McCartney’s with his previous band. What’s his totals compared to Jackson’s? Diana Ross’ totals as a solo artist combined with with the Supremes?

Guillaume: Diana Ross/Supremes total is ahead, not that far from 200 million records sold. Paul McCartney is the master. He sold around 170 million records on his own, added to over 500 million with the Beatles; that is over two thirds of the road to a billion! Obviously, on such a list, Michael Jackson wouldn’t be at 2, considering the three other Beatles would be ahead of him. Macca with 670m, Lennon with 620m, Harrison with 550m and Ringo with 525m, then Michael Jackson with around 465m. When we see how hard it is to sell 10 million records (and despite what most people think it has always been very hard), those numbers are from another world!

Hitsville: Janet Jackson gets overlooked sometimes in the Michael hoopla, but she is a top-tier star in her own right, isn’t she? What’s your best estimation of her worldwide sales and her ranking worldwide?

Janet sold 45 million singles and 65 million albums, which ranks her among the top 60 best selling acts ever, quite an achievement already, definitely a star on her own. She is in par with the likes Nirvana, Journey, and the Who in terms of album sales and sold many more singles than them.

Hitsville: What are the second and third best-selling albums worldwide, behind Thriller?

Guillaume: Dark Side of the Moon, by Pink Floyd, is the second-best-selling album ever. It is now up to 42 million and still selling very well year after year. It is harder to say which album is at three—a trio of soundtracks sold about the same at 40 million: Grease, Saturday Night Fever and The Bodyguard. Grease looks like having the lead yet and anyway is the one that is still selling the most so it will end at 3 sooner or later.

Jackson’s Bad ranks in the top 10 while Dangerous sits inside the top 20. Interesting to note that despite their relatively small sales in the US compared to Thriller, in the rest of the world they were almost as massive as Thriller and are among the seven and eight best-selling albums ever, along with Dire Straits’ Brothers in Arms, Dark Side of the Moon and the three soundtracks previously named. All those albums sold 20 to 23 million outside of the US, except Thriller, which sold close to 35 million.

———–

* I have no way of checking the authenticity of his figures but, to give an indication of the extent of the data he’s working with, a single post in this forum detailing Jackson’s sales just in the UK runs some 7200 words.

** Outside the U.S., platinum certifications are done somewhat proportionally smaller in the different markets.

*** Hitsville would like to point out his rough estimates on Jackson’s sales jibe roughly with Vieira’s.

http://www.hitsville.org/2009/07/12...ales—jackson-the-beatles-pink-floyd-and-more/

hmm... I have a few questions/ remarks here.

1. These records do not calculate MJ's sales post his death right? these figures have been the same ever since what? 2007?

2. The beatles are just getting higher and higher by the minute. at first i heard it was around 400 mil, then 450 mil, now it's 500 mil? I'm sorry im having a hard time believing that. out of their 13 albums only 3 managed to sell over 30 million, the rest sold below 20 million, which would roughly add up to 290 mil and i'm being painfully generous here . Are you trying to tell me that their singles were +200 million?

3. Even if all is said and done. The article confirms that MJ is only about 40 million away from the beatles, so if his posthumous sales are estimated at 50 million at the end of the year... does that mean he's already the biggest selling act?

4. Dangerous sold more than Bad...

hmm... I have a few questions/ remarks here.

1. These records do not calculate MJ's sales post his death right? these figures have been the same ever since what? 2007?

2. The beatles are just getting higher and higher by the minute. at first i heard it was around 400 mil, then 450 mil, now it's 500 mil? I'm sorry im having a hard time believing that. out of their 13 albums only 3 managed to sell over 30 million, the rest sold below 20 million, which would roughly add up to 290 mil and i'm being painfully generous here . Are you trying to tell me that their singles were +200 million?

3. Even if all is said and done. The article confirms that MJ is only about 40 million away from the beatles, so if his posthumous sales are estimated at 50 million at the end of the year... does that mean he's already the biggest selling act?

4. Dangerous sold more than Bad...

Well The Beatles sold around 350 million albums:
1. Please Please Me (1963)- 5 million

2. With The Beatles (1963)- 6.2 million

3. Meet The Beatles!(1964)- 7 million

4. Introducing The Beatles (1964)- 3.5 million

5. Beatles For Sale (1964)- 6 million

6. The Beatles's Second Album (1964)- 3 million

7. A Hard Day's Night (1964)- 10.2 million

8. Something New (1964)- 3 million

9. Beatles '65 (1965)- 4.5 million

10. The Beatles VI (1965)- 4 million

11. Help!(1965)- 10.3 million

12. Rubber Soul (1965)- 13.9 million

13. "Yesterday" … And Today (1966)- 3 million

14. Revolver (1966)- 11.3 million

15. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)- 26.2 million

16. Magical Mystery Tour (1967)- 9.5 million

17. The Beatles (White Album)(1968)- 19.1 million

18. Yellow Submarine (1969)- 5.5 million

19. Abbey Road (1969)- 26.4 million

20. Hey Jude (1970)- 5 million

21. Let It Be (1970)- 10.2 million

Separation of the group.

22. The Beatles 1962-1966 (1973)- 24.6 million

23. The Beatles 1967-1970 (1973)- 24.6 million

24. Rock 'N' Roll Music (1976)- 4.5 million

25. The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl (1977)- 4 million

26. Love Songs (1977)- 3 million

27. 20 Greatest Hits (1982)- 5 million

28. Past Masters Vol 1 (1988)- 2 million

29. Past Masters Vol 2 (1988)- 2.5 million

30. Live At The BBC (1994)- 7 million

31. Anthology 1 (1995)- 10 million

32. Anthology 2 (1996)- 4.6 million

33. Anthology 3 (1996)- 3.5 million

34. One (2000)- 30.8 million

35. Let It Be ... Naked (2003)- 3.6 million

+ 20 million for any other special albums released in any country (Rarities, Beatles Ballads, Greatest Hits, Reel Music, Rock 'N' Roll Music I and II, etc ... Boxed Set)
+ 5 million for "Love".

That plus about 140 million singles makes around 500 million sold for them.

And MJ sold 460 million records WITH The Jacksons and his solo records.

And if you do that for him, you have to add Paul M, Ringo S., John Lennon, And Harrison with the Beatles and it will be higher.

But over all. The Beatles are #1 in overall record sales.

But they are a group. MJ is a solo artist and released WAY less than they did.

the beatles have sold more after their breakup and lennon's passing i don t think they sold that many records at their active years,same with elvis, and they haven't been physically here for decades
michael did this while alive and active ,just imagine his figures in 30 years time they will be astronomic.Michael has no competition

And if you do that for him, you have to add Paul M, Ringo S., John Lennon, And Harrison with the Beatles and it will be higher.

wait wait... Beatles have 35 albums? :mellow: well that answers my confusions. I was only going about 13 albums... LOL i completely missed like what? two thirds? Anyway MJ as a solo artist has sold around 350 Million before his death, which means, if he really sold 50 million after his death, he has 400 million sales currently... not bad.. not bad...

The Beatles are in the TOP 3 of the best selling ACT of this decade (00-09)

And sorry, but Bad sold more than Dangerous.

wait wait... Beatles have 35 albums? :mellow: well that answers my confusions. I was only going about 13 albums... LOL i completely missed like what? two thirds? Anyway MJ as a solo artist has sold around 350 Million before his death, which means, if he really sold 50 million after his death, he has 400 million sales currently... not bad.. not bad...

Yea. MJ sold around 35-50 million records so far since his death. so he is closing in on around 400 million now as a solo artist.

But MJ has gained so much sales alive that in his death he should sell more than the Beatles and Elvis in time.

Since MJ just died his legacy will live for ever. and these sales will last for a LONG time

it sure did in the u.s. u.k. and ww. people need to stop lying about that.

what is the top act of this decade and where does MJ stand?

And as far as i know bad sold around 30 mil while Dangerous sold around 32 mil.. or am i missing something here as well?

And as far as i know bad sold around 30 mil while Dangerous sold around 32 mil.. or am i missing something here as well?
the sales of those 2 albums havnt been recertifyed in 15 years or so. so i guess we dont know the real figures other than from 15 years ago

With the whole Bad and dangerous thing.

They are almost the same in sales everywhere. But bad is usually ahead of Dangeorus in some markets.

Bad- 34 million

Dangoeurs- 31 million.

THESE ARE CONFIRMED SALES ONLY

BAD

America - 12,404,000
Minimum estimate - America: 14,000,000
USA - 10,000,000 (2003) + 461,000 (SS 2004-2009)
Canada - 700,000 (1988)
Mexico - 450,000 (2001)
Brasil - 700,000 (2001) + 33,000 (codes)
Argentina - 60,000

Europe - 1,000,000/IFPI.2009 + 10,738,000 (original) = 11,738,000
Minimum estimate - Europe: 14,400,000
|----- Special Edition: Europe - 1,000,000/IFPI.2009
UK - 221,000 (2002-2007) + 2,000 (Clubs) 228,000 (2009) = 451,000
France - 54,000 (2003-2008) + 80,000 (2009) = 134,000
Denmark - 15,000 (2009, 2001 ed.)
|----- Original Edition: Europe - 10,738,000
UK - 4,051,000 (1992) + 217,000 (shop sales 1992-2000) + 28,000 (club sales post93) = 4,296,000
France - 1,600,000 (1992) + 54,000 (2003-2008) + 76,000 (2009) = 1,730,000
Germany - 2,000,000 (1995)
Italy - 1,280,000 (2001)
Spain - 400,000 (1988)
Finland - 52,000 (2008)
Sweden - 200,000 (1988)
Austria - 200,000 (1993)
Switzerland - 250,000 (1988)
Netherland - 100,000 (1987)
Greece - 130,000 (2009)
Belgium - 100,000

Oceania - 555,000
Minimum estimate - Oceania: 600,000
Australia - 420,000 (2001)
New-Zealand - 135,000 (2009)

Asia - 1,622,000
Minimum estimate - Asia: 3,500,000
Japan - 1,000,000 (2003) + 21,000 (2009)
Singapore - 46,000
Hong Kong - 80,000
China - 250,000 (1987) Link
India - 200,000 (2009)
Thailand - 25,000 (1993)

Turkey - 500,000
--------------------------------------

Dangerous

America - 10,181,000
Minimum estimate - America: 11,200,000
USA - 8,000,000 (2003) + 394,000 (SS 2004-2009)
Canada - 600,000 (1993)
Mexico - 600,000 (2009)
Brasil - 450,000 (2001) + 37,000 (codes)
Chile - 100,000 (1994)

Europe - 8,871,000
Minimum estimate - Europe: 12,000,000
UK - 2,163,000 (2008) + 93,000 (2009) = 2,256,000
France - 1,900,000 (2001) + 39,000 (2003-2008) + 64,000 (2009) = 2,003,000
Germany - 2,000,000 (1993)
Italy - 790,000 (2001)
Spain - 600,000 (1993)
Finland - 62,000 (2008)
Sweden - 355,000 (1992)
Austria - 200,000 (1995)
Switzerland - 250,000 (1995)
Denmark - 15,000 (2009, 2001 ed.)
Netherland - 300,000 (1996)
Hungary - 40,000

Oceania - 720,000
Minimum estimate - Oceania: 800,000
Australia - 630,000 (1996)
New-Zealand - 90,000 (2009)

Asia - 2,620,000
Minimum estimate - Asia: 3,500,000
Japan - 800,000 (2003) + 19,000 (2009)
Singapore - 191,000
Hong Kong - 80,000
China - 250,000
Malaysia - 180,000 (1993)
South Korea - 800,000
Thailand - 100,000 (1993)
Taiwan - 200,000

Israel - 80,000
Turkey - 219,000

KB50MJ - I love your threads, but could you add your contributions into the first one????

There will be many pages and ... the "numbers" will "dwindle away"...

(anyway, do you have the links of your threads here on the board??? Could you post me them?)

And BTW, The BEATLES re-released BOX set of 14 albums... it seems (id say) it totally failed in terms of selling and ruling the charts..., they are total FLOP!!!!

Last edited:

BAD has currently sold over 34.8 million worldwide, so it should reach the 35 million figures within a few months. Dangerous has sold close to 32 million worldwide. Currently these are roughly the sales of Michael's studio albums and compilations with Sony:

Off The Wall - 22 million
Thriller (including Thriller 25) - 72 million
BAD - 34.8 million
Dangerous - 32 million
HIStory - 21 million
Blood On The Dancefloor - 8 million
Greatest Hits Vol 1 - 3.2 million
Invincible - 10-11 million
Number Ones - 10 million+
The Ultimate Collection - 800,000+
The Essential Michael Jackson - 5.5 million+
King Of Pop - 2.4 million

Then there are all the Motown solo albums and other various compilations etc that were released which adds up to around 30 million. There Michael's album sales are around 250 million. Michael's singles sales are currently roughly between 130-140 million. Therefore Michael's solo total worldwide sales are roughly 380-390 million. This is incredible considering that Michael has not released that many albums compared to the majority of artists.

Last edited:
Both are the 2 most important acts in the music industry history - The 2 only true audience breaking acts. The Beatles boosted alone all music markets in developped countries, while Jackson broke almost all third world markets thanks to Thriller.

Every acts have to thanks them both because some of their sales are possible only thanks to them.

the Beatles are the best selling act ever, this is obvious, they sold almost as much as Jackson and Elvis together, this says everything about their performance.

But this do not mean that they have accomplished everything. In some countries like China or India, this is not the Beatles but yes Jackson with Thriller that has break the market.

the Beatles are the best selling act ever, this is obvious, they sold almost as much as Jackson and Elvis together, this says everything about their performance.

But this do not mean that they have accomplished everything. In some countries like China or India, this is not the Beatles but yes Jackson with Thriller that has break the market.

Also, you just can't argue about the 8 years of their career, times are different now, at their time they were releasing albums much more quickly. Why don't you say for example that in 8 years they released more studio albums than Jackson in 37 ? In most, the fact that they are not anymore able to release new stuff (as two of them are dead), helps A LOT their sales - Their catalog is selling much more that what it should have sold if they were still recording music. It helps them in the fact that their Hits package will sell easier than an active act.
Also, the Beatles have never and will never sell an album to an audience as large as which Jackson has done.

The Thrillermania was as big as the Beatlesmania, if not bigger.

AHAHAH. Do you really believe that? THEY ARE NOT IN THE TOP3 this decade.

1. The Beatles DID NOT sell almost as much as Jackson and Elvis together.
2. The Beatles were known for not being amazing performers.

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about worldwide record sales—Michael Jackson, the Beatles, Pi

1. The Beatles DID NOT sell almost as much as Jackson and Elvis together.
2. The Beatles were known for not being amazing performers.

...yes, and physically neither The Beatles not Elvis could sell a billion records, simply physically the LP, MC or CD... its impossible to sell so many pieces of records = physically...

Both Bees and Evils are mega totally overrated... (especially Elvis...)

When will you give the certification dates for all these beatles sales?
You never answered my questions from you previous thread.

Many different sources from many different people. But these are the avr. estimations on sales.
Well that 750 million figure seems kind of a stretch to me because when you add up his sales, they don't really add up to that amount. Its a possibility if you include the unit sales of every track his voice was on, but with his solo recordings 392 million seems about right.

Here's how I see it.

The biggest selling music acts of all time:

1) The Beatles- 400-420

2) Michael Jackson- 392 million

3) Elvis Presley- 300-330 million

The Beatels Sold more. Their at 495 million records. MJ is at 335.

KB50MJ You claimed on your 02/13/2009 post(quotes above) that the Beatles sold 400-420 million records. Then on your 06/19/2009 post you claimed the Beatles has sold 495 million records?

How have the Beatles (495 million) sold 50-75 million units this year(and I 'm even adding the entire year of 2009)!?!? Where is their chart positions and sales info to back up this ridiculous claim? You need to post this info or are you too "inflating sales figures". I believe that Michael Jackson has really outsold the Beatles. Their numbers are purposely inflated (by everyone in the Music industry and people like you. and you know this. Produce a chart (estimating) of all Beatles sales as you are doing with MJ and you will see that (like with the Eagles greatest hits) it's does not add up. I will post an article (below) that was published by Billboard and Reuters to illustrate this point.

^^ The Eagles are 29x platinum since '07.

These numbers are nonsense. Read below and see why I know this.

So you think that Thriller has sold more than 40 million copies since 1992 ?? That seem unrealistic to me. Knowing that an album sells best the first years it's out makes it impossible to me that Thriller should have sold just as good from 1993-2008 as it did from 1982-1993!

As unrealistic as this; Hess perhaps???

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSTRE56I2B820090719

"Thriller" sales soar close to Eagles' "Hits"

Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:15pm EDT By Ed Christman

NEW YORK (Billboard) - For nearly a decade, the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" has been the recording industry's ultimate evergreen release, certified by the RIAA as the all-time best-selling album in the United States. But thanks to continued robust demand for Michael Jackson's catalog since his June 25 death, "Thriller" appears on the verge of matching "Their Greatest Hits," at least in the eyes of the industry trade group.

In March, the Recording Industry Association of America certified "Thriller" as 28 times platinum, meaning that at least 28 million copies of the album have been shipped since its 1982 release. That's just a notch behind the Eagles' hits compilation, which was released in 1976 and was certified 29 times platinum in 2006.

Billboard estimates that the posthumous surge in Jackson's sales and Sony Music Entertainment's efforts to push Jackson CDs into the distribution pipeline have likely propelled shipments of Jackson product, if not yet sales, beyond the 29 million-unit mark in the United States.

Amid the recent explosion in Jackson sales, "Thriller" has enjoyed the second-biggest sales bump in his catalog, just behind the hits collection "Number Ones." During the three weeks that ended July 12, "Thriller" sold 552,000 U.S. copies, for year-to-date sales of 608,000, according to Nielsen Sound Scan.

STRONG SALES TO CONTINUE
Most industry executives believe that the most recent Sound scan week -- which included the widely watched memorial service for Jackson at the Staples Center in Los Angeles -- will mark a posthumous weekly peak for Jackson sales. They also expect sales to wind down slowly in the next few months, which means sales will remain strong. In the week ended July 12, Jackson's album catalog sold a combined 1.1 million copies, up from nearly 800,000 in the preceding week and 422,000 in the week he died.

"Thriller" and "Their Greatest Hits" were instant hits. The RIAA first certified "Thriller" platinum in January 1983, just two months after its release, while "Their Greatest Hits" was certified platinum in February 1976, mere days after it arrived.

Propelled by groundbreaking videos for the singles "Billie Jean," "Beat It" and the title track, "Thriller" reached the 20 million certification milestone in October 1984, becoming the RIAA's top-selling album of all time. The album's next RIAA certification, at 21 times platinum, came in May 1990. The RIAA's certification of "Thriller" as 28 times platinum in March came 13 months after Sony's release of a deluxe 25th-anniversary edition of the album.

The RIAA's second certification of shipments of the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits" didn't occur until August 1990, when it certified the release as 12 times platinum. The RIAA couldn't immediately explain why the album wasn't certified at earlier platinum milestones, or why it was next certified at 14 times platinum in December 1993, and for 22 times in June 1995, despite U.S. sales of only 919,000 during that period. When the RIAA certified "Their Greatest Hits" as 26 times platinum in November 1999, it unseated "Thriller" at the top of the RIAA's all-time ranking.

Since being certified as 29 times platinum in January 2006, "Their Greatest Hits" has sold 404,000 copies, including 33,000 this year and 115,000 in 2008.
Representatives at Sony and Warner Music Group, which distributes "Their Greatest Hits," declined to comment.

Quote:
"Thriller" reached the 20 million certification milestone in October 1984, becoming the RIAA's top-selling album of all time. The album's next RIAA certification, at 21 time’s platinum, came in May 1990.

Thriller sales from 1984-1990???
This says it all, only 1 million (21xUS)
(166,667+ copies sold per year)

Thriller sales from 1991- (March)2009-17.3yrs.
7,000,000 million(28xUS) more sales (404624 + units per year)

Quote:
The RIAA's second certification of shipments of the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits" didn't occur until August 1990, when it certified the release as 12 time’s platinum. The RIAA couldn't immediately explain why the album wasn't certified at earlier platinum milestones, or why it was next certified at 14 times platinum in December 1993, and for 22 times in June 1995

Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits"
(1,000,000 (1xUS) albums sold)

1976- 1990
11 million (12xUS) sales!!!???
(785,715+ US albums per year)

1990-1993
(14xUS) 3,000,000 more sales!!!???
(1,000,000+ copies per year)

1994- 1995
(22xUS) 8,000,000 more sales!!!??
(4,000,000+ copies per year more) sales???!!!!!

1996-2007
(29xUS) 7,000,000 more sales!!!??? (636,000+ copies per year more) sales???!!!

This is unbelievable!
Please do not ignore this please respond with verification only please.

The Beatles made an insane amount of albums so they are going to sell more. For MJ to sell so much with the few releases he made is the true testament to just how phenomenal he is.

When will you give the certification dates for all these beatles sales?
You never answered my questions from you previous thread.

KB50MJ You claimed on your 02/13/2009 post(quotes above) that the Beatles sold 400-420 million records. Then on your 06/19/2009 post you claimed the Beatles has sold 495 million records?

How have the Beatles (495 million) sold 50-75 million units this year(and I 'm even adding the entire year of 2009)!?!? Where is their chart positions and sales info to back up this ridiculous claim? You need to post this info or are you too "inflating sales figures". I believe that Michael Jackson has really outsold the Beatles. Their numbers are purposely inflated (by everyone in the Music industry and people like you. and you know this. Produce a chart (estimating) of all Beatles sales as you are doing with MJ and you will see that (like with the Eagles greatest hits) it's does not add up. I will post an article (below) that was published by Billboard and Reuters to illustrate this point.

These numbers are nonsense. Read below and see why I know this.

As unrealistic as this; Hess perhaps???

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSTRE56I2B820090719

"Thriller" sales soar close to Eagles' "Hits"

Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:15pm EDT By Ed Christman

NEW YORK (Billboard) - For nearly a decade, the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" has been the recording industry's ultimate evergreen release, certified by the RIAA as the all-time best-selling album in the United States. But thanks to continued robust demand for Michael Jackson's catalog since his June 25 death, "Thriller" appears on the verge of matching "Their Greatest Hits," at least in the eyes of the industry trade group.

In March, the Recording Industry Association of America certified "Thriller" as 28 times platinum, meaning that at least 28 million copies of the album have been shipped since its 1982 release. That's just a notch behind the Eagles' hits compilation, which was released in 1976 and was certified 29 times platinum in 2006.

Billboard estimates that the posthumous surge in Jackson's sales and Sony Music Entertainment's efforts to push Jackson CDs into the distribution pipeline have likely propelled shipments of Jackson product, if not yet sales, beyond the 29 million-unit mark in the United States.

Amid the recent explosion in Jackson sales, "Thriller" has enjoyed the second-biggest sales bump in his catalog, just behind the hits collection "Number Ones." During the three weeks that ended July 12, "Thriller" sold 552,000 U.S. copies, for year-to-date sales of 608,000, according to Nielsen Sound Scan.

STRONG SALES TO CONTINUE
Most industry executives believe that the most recent Sound scan week -- which included the widely watched memorial service for Jackson at the Staples Center in Los Angeles -- will mark a posthumous weekly peak for Jackson sales. They also expect sales to wind down slowly in the next few months, which means sales will remain strong. In the week ended July 12, Jackson's album catalog sold a combined 1.1 million copies, up from nearly 800,000 in the preceding week and 422,000 in the week he died.

"Thriller" and "Their Greatest Hits" were instant hits. The RIAA first certified "Thriller" platinum in January 1983, just two months after its release, while "Their Greatest Hits" was certified platinum in February 1976, mere days after it arrived.

Propelled by groundbreaking videos for the singles "Billie Jean," "Beat It" and the title track, "Thriller" reached the 20 million certification milestone in October 1984, becoming the RIAA's top-selling album of all time. The album's next RIAA certification, at 21 times platinum, came in May 1990. The RIAA's certification of "Thriller" as 28 times platinum in March came 13 months after Sony's release of a deluxe 25th-anniversary edition of the album.

The RIAA's second certification of shipments of the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits" didn't occur until August 1990, when it certified the release as 12 times platinum. The RIAA couldn't immediately explain why the album wasn't certified at earlier platinum milestones, or why it was next certified at 14 times platinum in December 1993, and for 22 times in June 1995, despite U.S. sales of only 919,000 during that period. When the RIAA certified "Their Greatest Hits" as 26 times platinum in November 1999, it unseated "Thriller" at the top of the RIAA's all-time ranking.

Since being certified as 29 times platinum in January 2006, "Their Greatest Hits" has sold 404,000 copies, including 33,000 this year and 115,000 in 2008.
Representatives at Sony and Warner Music Group, which distributes "Their Greatest Hits," declined to comment.

Quote:
"Thriller" reached the 20 million certification milestone in October 1984, becoming the RIAA's top-selling album of all time. The album's next RIAA certification, at 21 time’s platinum, came in May 1990.

Thriller sales from 1984-1990???
This says it all, only 1 million (21xUS)
(166,667+ copies sold per year)

Thriller sales from 1991- (March)2009-17.3yrs.
7,000,000 million(28xUS) more sales (404624 + units per year)

Quote:
The RIAA's second certification of shipments of the Eagles' "Their Greatest Hits" didn't occur until August 1990, when it certified the release as 12 time’s platinum. The RIAA couldn't immediately explain why the album wasn't certified at earlier platinum milestones, or why it was next certified at 14 times platinum in December 1993, and for 22 times in June 1995

(1,000,000 (1xUS) albums sold)

1976- 1990
11 million (12xUS) sales!!!???
(785,715+ US albums per year)

1990-1993
(14xUS) 3,000,000 more sales!!!???
(1,000,000+ copies per year)

1994- 1995
(22xUS) 8,000,000 more sales!!!??
(4,000,000+ copies per year more) sales???!!!!!

1996-2007
(29xUS) 7,000,000 more sales!!!??? (636,000+ copies per year more) sales???!!!

This is unbelievable!
Please do not ignore this please respond with verification only please.

Look man. TRUST me. I would LOVE for MJ to have outsold the Beatles, and part of me still wants to beleive that.

But the numbers aren't made up.

That 420 million figure I gave for the mwas based of an estimate I made from info I recived that claimed the Beatles were a little over 400 million. And that was claimed in 2006. So I estimated that currently that would be hihger(hence the 420 million figure).

But I was wrong.

I checked around on a chart analysis forum called UKMix.org and I found out that my numbers were very low for them.

They have offical data over there explaing how The beatles sold around 495 million. That number comes fro mthe most respected chart guru on the net.

Here is a list of their Album Sales:
1. Please Please Me (1963)- 5 million

2. With The Beatles (1963)- 6.2 million

3. Meet The Beatles!(1964)- 7 million

4. Introducing The Beatles (1964)- 3.5 million

5. Beatles For Sale (1964)- 6 million

6. The Beatles's Second Album (1964)- 3 million

7. A Hard Day's Night (1964)- 10.2 million

8. Something New (1964)- 3 million

9. Beatles '65 (1965)- 4.5 million

10. The Beatles VI (1965)- 4 million

11. Help!(1965)- 10.3 million

12. Rubber Soul (1965)- 13.9 million

13. "Yesterday" … And Today (1966)- 3 million

14. Revolver (1966)- 11.3 million

15. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)- 26.2 million

16. Magical Mystery Tour (1967)- 9.5 million

17. The Beatles (White Album)(1968)- 19.1 million

18. Yellow Submarine (1969)- 5.5 million

19. Abbey Road (1969)- 26.4 million

20. Hey Jude (1970)- 5 million

21. Let It Be (1970)- 10.2 million

Separation of the group.

22. The Beatles 1962-1966 (1973)- 24.6 million

23. The Beatles 1967-1970 (1973)- 24.6 million

24. Rock 'N' Roll Music (1976)- 4.5 million

25. The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl (1977)- 4 million

26. Love Songs (1977)- 3 million

27. 20 Greatest Hits (1982)- 5 million

28. Past Masters Vol 1 (1988)- 2 million

29. Past Masters Vol 2 (1988)- 2.5 million

30. Live At The BBC (1994)- 7 million

31. Anthology 1 (1995)- 10 million

32. Anthology 2 (1996)- 4.6 million

33. Anthology 3 (1996)- 3.5 million

34. One (2000)- 30.8 million

35. Let It Be ... Naked (2003)- 3.6 million

+ 20 million for any other special albums released in any country (Rarities, Beatles Ballads, Greatest Hits, Reel Music, Rock 'N' Roll Music I and II, etc ... Boxed Set)
+ 5 million for "Love".

So Their ALBUM sales are 350 million. Thats ahead of MJ by 100 million albums. MJ has 255 million albums sold.

Now according toi the same site The beatles sold 140 million singles. So that makes 495 for The Beatles.

I'm just trying to be fair here.

The beatles deserve their success.

The Beatles made an insane amount of albums so they are going to sell more. For MJ to sell so much with the few releases he made is the true testament to just how phenomenal he is.

Agreed!

And since MJ owns The Beatles catalogue, I think the discussion is over, right? LOL

That is my point. He was a solo act with less material out.

I think it's only fair when deciding who was the biggest musical act to take into consideration how well MJ's DVDs and VHS tapes have sold. I haven't read it anywhere but I wouldn't be nervous to bet money he has sold more home videos than any other musical act.

Really what collection would be complete without the DVDs?

That is my point. He was a solo act with less material out.
the solo part doesn't matter much to me, because MJ had more people to work with. Instead of being limited to the same 4 or 5 guys to play instruments he always picked the best people to work with.

He had more people backing him up then Lennon had. Just for guitars alone he's had Slash, Van Halen, Santanna and more.

Back