Jason Derülo Says He Wanted To Be Like MJ

billyworld99

Proud Member
In a recent interview, American double platinum singer, songwriter and dancer Jason Derülo, discussed the impact Michael Jackson had on his career.

Being that young, I didn't really understand totally what was going on," Jason said of first seeing Jackson on TV. "I just knew I wanted to be cool just like that.

I wanted to be smooth, I wanted to be someone who was affecting people - I've seen people fainting, crying and stuff - I wanted to be just like that."

Derulo went on to say: "But as time progressed I grew a real, real true passion for music. It never went away, it just got stronger and stronger and stronger as days went by.

"Certain people have destinies and I always knew what my destiny was. I never had a back-up plan, I knew that this was going to be it. If death caught me first, that would have been the only thing to stop me."

Source: MJFC / omgmusic.com

It's a shame. Seems like Derulo could have been something had he have been born 10 or 15 years earlier. He has the passion but the days of truly showing it are gone unfortunately. Technology really did kill music.

^ I don't think you can blame technology. You can still make great music, in fact, it should help. I don't like his singing voice to be honest. Ridin' Solo drives me insane.

Everyone wants to be like MJ though. That's the bar that no one can simply come close to, its simply so high its completely unreachable.

Every young singer wants to be like Michael Jackson. Man we all do

I seen this guy, and he was so much a carbon copy but without the innovative moves Michael done!

His voice is not good, and his dancing is just copied. learn to utilise Mikes amazing moves but use your own originality.

Terry

he wanted to be like MJ - who didn't?;) Anyway, from all of the latest newcomers I think he's quite good. As for now - I really like him.

His dancing is really bad.

Looks like a very awkward impersonator of Chris Brown impersonating Michael.
You nail it.

Even though Justin started as copycat, to me he is good dancer, that can be seen as talented of the new generation. Usher comes second.
Chris brown can't dance. Every dance step he does looks lame. He is not smooth, clean and precise in his moves.

You nail it.

Even though Justin started as copycat, to me he is good dancer, that can be seen as talented of the new generation. Usher comes second.
Chris brown can't dance. Every dance step he does looks lame. He is not smooth, clean and precise in his moves.

Actually I thought Chris's dancing was really improved during his tribute to MJ this year@ BET.

Actually I thought Chris's dancing was really improved during his tribute to MJ this year@ BET.

Please don't get me started. He's always been a crumper, not a real dancer such as Mj who was able to embrace all worlds and styles of the art and the music.

Back