Oct 26 hearing

JMie

Guests
They said it's going to be a status hearing. What does it mean exactly? What can we expect happening that day?

i was told on another board,that the 26th would just be a meeting of both side attorneys,to discuss the fluid samples they asked for,

status hearing isnt really anything.from what ive read and from the past with mj its just as it says a hearing to see the status of everything. basically for the judge to see if everyones on course to be ready for the prelim in january. if the defence want to try and start delaying things then we will get an idea on tuesday. not sure about murray being there. think it depends on the judge.like with mj and other than the hearings he had to be there for they said mj didnt have to show cause of the hassle it caused.

judge told both sides to come to an agreement about the samples if they didn't he said he will decide so I think it's safe to assume that will be something that will be discussed in that hearing. any other things / requests that either side has will also be talked about. Murray may or may not be there.

good question. see if i can see anything on the court website

cant see anything on the court site or where it maybe u have to pay to view

I don't know if I should stay up late for it... it doesn't look like it's going to be an important hearing, right?

12.30 local time according to mjjstreet.com from a fan in L.A

^So according to that the hearing would have started 40 minutes ago. Anything from the court yet?

havnt heard a thing. either the time is wrong or the hearing is over the phone or in chambers

important parts are in bold.

it was a in chambers meeting
the prelim date is still jan 4th.
there's still the issue of evidence

Doctor Charged in Michael Jackson's Death Faces Hearing Next Year

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 @ 04:15PM print it send it

Conrad Murray - charged with the involuntary manslaughter of Michael Jackson -- will have his preliminary hearing in January, RadarOnline.com is reporting.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor scheduled the hearing for January 4th.

During that court event, the judge will determine whether there is enough evidence for the cardiologist to stand trial.

Murray is accused of giving Jackson a lethal dose of sedatives, including the anesthetic propofol.

He had been hired to serves as the singer's personal physician during a series of comeback concerts.

After emerging from a 45 minute in chambers meeting with Judge Pastor and Dr. Murray's attorneys, the District Attorney, David Walgren, said he expected the hearing would last for about 10-15 days.

"This is a must go counsel on January 4th," Judge Pastor said.

Judge Pastor also asked for "counsel to submit a stipulation by November 4th, 2010 about the handling of certain forensic evidence."

It wasn't specified what the evidence was or which lawyers would be submitting the documentation.

Dr. Murray submitted to a waiver that would allow his preliminary hearing to be interrupted once it began.

Judge Pastor said, "Dr. Murray has an interest in the preliminary hearing. The Jackson family has an interest in it, as others do."

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...ichael-jacksons-death-faces-hearing-next-year

thaks ivy can u explain the below.presume the forensic is about what was mentioned in other reports.and anything out of the ordinary about submitting a wiaver a what it means

Judge Pastor also asked for "counsel to submit a stipulation by November 4th, 2010 about the handling of certain forensic evidence."

It wasn't specified what the evidence was or which lawyers would be submitting the documentation.

Dr. Murray submitted to a waiver that would allow his preliminary hearing to be interrupted once it began.

Lawyers try to shorten hearing in Jackson case
© 2010 The Associated Press
Oct. 26, 2010, 4:23PM
photo
Damian Dovarganes AP

LOS ANGELES — Prosecutors and attorneys for the doctor charged in Michael Jackson's death say they are trying to work out ways to shorten a preliminary hearing scheduled in January.

Some of the evidence against Dr. Conrad Murray will be presented during the hearing that Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor said Tuesday must begin on Jan. 4.

After the hearing, the judge will decide if there is enough evidence for Murray to stand trial for involuntary manslaughter.

Murray was present during the hearing Tuesday, when the judge met with attorneys for 40 minutes in closed chambers to discuss issues related to evidence.

Deputy District Attorney David Walgren says the Jan. 4 hearing may last two to three weeks, but the witness list could be shortened if he reaches stipulations with attorneys for Murray, who has pleaded not guilty.

http://www.chron.com...tx/7265138.html

Deputy District Attorney David Walgren says the Jan. 4 hearing may last two to three weeks, but the witness list could be shortened if he reaches stipulations with attorneys for Murray, who has pleaded not guilty.
whats your take on this ivy?

- about forensic evidence

I think that's about the previous issue with the retesting of 3 syringes. it seems like the judge wants the sides to reach to an agreement by November - which makes sense for a January prelim.

- about shortened prelim hearing

all is going to be determined in the prelim is that if there's a probable cause to go to trial. so you need only that much evidence and you wouldn't want to show all your cards (evidence and witnesses) either. so if the DA thinks that they can make their case with a low number of witnesses and both sides agrees to keep their prelim witness to a certain limited size I don't see why not.

- about the waiver

I'm not sure about what to make of that waiver. it allows for an non-continuous preliminary hearing. for example it means that once it starts one side can ask for a 1-2 week break and the judge can allow it. but I have no idea why or whether it's good or bad. I guess it might allow to respond to the unexpected developments but like I said I'm not sure.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=11977930

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Attorneys in Michael Jackson's death received two key rulings on Tuesday when a judge kept in place a January criminal hearing for a doctor who supplied the pop star's medications, while his father lost a challenge to the estate.

A Los Angeles judge kept a January 4 start date for a preliminary hearing to determine if there is enough evidence for Dr. Conrad Murray to stand trial on a charge of involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's death.

The "Thriller" singer died in June 2009 from an overdose of prescription drugs, principally the powerful anesthetic propofol. Murray has admitted giving Jackson propofol as a sleep aid, but has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter.

In a separate matter in the 2nd District Court of Appeal, a three-judge panel unanimously ruled the singer's father, Joe Jackson, was not entitled to a court hearing to challenge the status of two men now in charge of Jackson's multimillion dollar estate.

At stake for Joe Jackson, 81, was a chance to participate in revenues earned by his son's estate.

Forbes magazine on Monday named Michael Jackson the top-earning celebrity of the year with revenues of $275 million pouring in from record sales, licensing and other business deals.

According to his will, Michael Jackson's estate benefits his three children, his mother and various charities. The estate is currently overseen by Los Angeles attorney John Branca and music executive John McClain.

I'm gonna do a lot of praying.

Joe and Randy were there too today according to fans who went to court.

Thanks for the info guys and thanks ivy for the breakdown. Looks like the new year will be tense.

cheers ivy. i presumed it was only the prosection that have witnesses at a prelim. or is it the case that the defence can put some up aswell? which would make the comment about shortening the prelim more easy to understand

looking on a cali lawsfirm site it says the defence can put up witnesses but its pretty rare and they only do it if they think they can get the charges dismissed at the prelim

Felony Preliminary Hearing This is a contested hearing before a Judge, sometimes called a "probable cause hearing", held within 10 days after arraignment. The Prosecutor presents witnesses to convince the Judge that there is at least probable cause to believe that the charged crime(s) was (were) committed and that the defendant committed the crime(s). Because the burden of proof is much less than at a trial, the Prosecutor generally does not call all potential witnesses to testify at the "prelim"; generally, the victim and some eye witnesses plus some of the police witnesses testify. The defendant, through his attorney, can cross-examine the witnesses and present his own evidence (including witnesses). If probable cause is established, the defendant is "held over" (i.e., held to appear at) the Superior Court for trial. If the Judge decides that there is not probable cause that the defendant committed the charged crime(s), the judge can bind the case over on different charges, can reduce the charges to misdemeanors, or can dismiss charges. A defendant can give up his right to a Preliminary Hearing.

Last edited:
So it all starts in January? Can't belive it's taking this long. I know they are trying to be thorough (spelling?).....

well the actual trial could be be at least 9 months away.jan is only the prelim

randyu.jpg

joe1l.jpg

joe2u.jpg

I have heard that not many fans were at the court this time. One of the large fan groups who have been to other court appearances went to Neverland instead, as they dont get on with another fan who goes to the court. This fan group have stated that they wont be going to court unless the fan they dont get on with stops going to court appearance!!

I have heard that not many fans were at the court this time. One of the large fan groups who have been to other court appearances went to Neverland instead, as they dont get on with another fan who goes to the court. This fan group have stated that they wont be going to court unless the fan they dont get on with stops going to court appearance!!

crazy

Back