The Michael Jackson Musical: 'MJ'

I do not think it will be a disaster.

I hope very much it's great and people will go uplifted singing MJ's songs.

I find it weird they got people who believe he's guilty and still doing the show. like, what the heck? i just hope that the show will be good and don't drag it down with fake lies etc. i swear if this show full of that then i don't know anymore. let's just hope it will be good. that's all we can do. :(

Last edited:
I find it weird they got people who believe he's guilty and still doing the show. like, what the heck? i just hope that the show will be good and don't drag it down with fake lies etc. i swear if this show full of that then i don't know anymore. let's just hope it will be good. that's all we can do. :(

If they somehow manage to slip past the Estate and insert a scene that implies that he's guilty, I hope people boo the shit out of it.

No special expectation for this show but at least MJ will be remembered by the next generation

Yeah. next gen who believes he's guilty. i'm not wishing that. i just hope it's goes well. that's all we can hope for. we will see previews next summer so we can only wait and hope until then.

If they somehow manage to slip past the Estate and insert a scene that implies that he's guilty, I hope people boo the shit out of it.

LOL! i hope so too. that's what i'm worry about. can't answer this question. we only hope at this point.

There is too much hysteria from fans, running around saying that the people working on the musical "believe MJ is guilty." That is a gross over-simplification of the actual facts of the matter and I truly think that fans have been sucked into the usual spin and misrepresentation that goes on in the US and UK media.

STATEMENT FROM THE ESTATE

As we are sure you have recently read, tickets for the new Broadway play, “MJ The Musical”, go on sale January 15 with previews starting at the Neil Simon Theatre on July 6, 2020 and the show will premiere on August 13, 2020.

In the meantime, we wanted to say how excited we are about the show. We were excited when we worked with Cirque du Soleil and Jamie King in creating “Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL World Tour” which went on to become one of the most popular and highest grossing touring shows of all time. And we were equally excited about working again with Cirque de Soleil and Jamie King in creating the “Michael Jackson ONE” show in Las Vegas which just enjoyed its 3,000th performance and remains one of the top selling shows in Las Vegas.

We also were very pleased about the work we did with Spike Lee in creating the “Bad 25” documentary and the documentary “Michael Jackson’s Journey From Motown to Off the Wall.”

We are confident that this new Broadway show will be every bit as good as any show we have had a hand in creating.

Some of you have expressed concern about Lynn Nottage. Let us assure you that Lynn Nottage is a huge Michael Jackson fan. We are always careful about selecting the creative talent who will work on a Michael Jackson project. She was ambushed by the UK tabloid reporter and statements made in casual conversation were taken out of context and have been misconstrued. No show we ever create about Michael will be anything other than truthful and positive, and of course we would never validate the lies and slander that have been perpetrated by Reed, Robson, Safechuck and HBO in what the fans have called a “bullcrapumentary.”

The creative team on this Broadway show is outstanding. Lynn Nottage is the only living playwright who has won two Pulitzer Prizes. Christopher Wheeldon, also a huge Michael Jackson fan, is an acclaimed director and choreographer who won the Tony Award for his work on “An American in Paris” on Broadway.

Having seen rehearsals and read the book we can assure you fans will be very excited. Of course, no one can replace Michael. No one can do what Michael did. There was a reason that Berry Gordy confirmed that Michael is the greatest entertainer who ever lived. However, just as in any movie where a famous historical figure is portrayed, once we enter the playhouse, we have to suspend our disbelief and look forward to seeing a great show paying homage to Michael’s legacy.

You all know that the media has tried very hard to negate Michael’s influence in the world. To use their term, they tried to cancel Michael. The Michael Jackson fans and the Michael Jackson Estate will not allow that to happen. The love of Michael is too strong, it will always be with us. While some media outlets might be hesitant to telecast new Michael Jackson programs in the short term, that will turn around in the long term since everyone wants to see and enjoy Michael and his work. This Broadway show will go a long way toward reminding the world who the King of Pop is. Let’s celebrate it, let’s embrace it and let’s remind everybody that Michael is the greatest of all time.

72420993_1181355078741688_4020347104273629184_n.jpg

Newbie question: Where does the Estate initially post their statements? I see them floating around on the internet but cannot find the source. Thanks. :)

There is too much hysteria from fans, running around saying that the people working on the musical "believe MJ is guilty." That is a gross over-simplification of the actual facts of the matter and I truly think that fans have been sucked into the usual spin and misrepresentation that goes on in the US and UK media.

I agree.

Newbie question: Where does the Estate initially post their statements? I see them floating around on the internet but cannot find the source. Thanks. :)

https://www.michaeljackson.com/

The Official Michael Jackson Facebook page

MJ Vibe

There's an FAQ section on the Michael Jackson website, where some of the more common, pressing fan inquiries are answered.
In that section, it's also possible to submit a question. MJ Vibe seems to post breaking news and statements very early...I am guessing that it has a direct link to the Estate online team.

Thanks. I checked there, but I’m specifically looking for the official place where I can find all those “Statement from the Estate” posts. Is there some kind of publicly accessible archive? Or do they only e-mail those statements to specific people?

I’m not questioning the authenticity of the statement posted above btw., just looking for the best source to link people to. Fortunately I’m surrounded by people who are very critical when it comes to “things found on the internet” and who check the source whenever possible. :)

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. :)

You can sign up for email notifcations on the offical website. I've been getting them since 2009

I see they are still trying to pretend that she didn't say she believes Wade and James. Very shameful that they are lying like this. It's pretty sad that people like this are looking after MJs legacy.

Billyjeanplxiv;4272147 said:
You can sign up for email notifcations on the offical website. I've been getting them since 2009

Thanks, I’ll sign up for the newsletter then. :)

No archive of past statements online, though?

More of the Making of “MJ” the Broadway musical are coming out. The latest is from the musical theatre sound designer for the show, Gareth Owen.

Gareth Owen’s career in sound began when the night club he was handling the lighting for became a live music venue. Inspired to pursue a full-time job in the audio industry, he secured work experience with sound rental company SSE, which saw him hone his skills on the festival and touring circuits.

While working for SSE, Gareth met a sound engineer who was mixing West End musical Blues Brothers. He had been offered a tour with Deep Purple and was looking for someone to cover him so he approached Gareth. While working on Blues Brothers Gareth made more connections with people in the theatre world and was offered more jobs.
Realising he enjoyed that area of the audio industry, Gareth decided to focus more on theatre, resulting in his current role, musical theatre sound designer.

In a resent interview, Owen was asked what are his next projects. While listing the new “Back to the Future musical, Prince of Egypt both in London, he also mention he will be doing “Diana” (a musical about Princess Diana) and MJ, the Michael Jackson musical.

For MJ, he was instructed by the Estate to “Create us the best sound in Broadway history”

While the show is due for July 2020, you can find more information at https://mjthemusical.com/

The Estate of Michael Jackson released a statement regarding Lynn Nottage’s comments in different news interviews (actually the Estate only mentioned one of those). Despite the message of the Estate reassuring fans that Lynn is 100% behind the project and a huge Michael Jackson fan, the feeling online is divided. It will be best to hear this from the two Pulitzer Prizes winner herself.

MJVibe has tried to contact Nottage many times for comment but has not received any answer as yet.

I just sign up for a news letter. i probably won't be able to go to the show because it's far away from me BUT i'm interested of the updates and if i'm lucky i may go. that's only it's good.

They send them to the big MJ fan sites through email. That's how we get them.

ScreenOrigami;4272151 said:
Thanks, I’ll sign up for the newsletter then. :)

No archive of past statements online, though?

That's a really good idea, but I'm not aware of any archive that has them all. That's not to say that one doesn't exist or that it's not being created by people within the community, who run fan sites, forums, clubs, etc. I'll ask around.

Also, as Anna has stated, the larger fan sites receive statements directly by e-mail. MJJC staff members receive them by e-mail and if you sign up for the newsletter on the MJ website, you'll certainly have your finger on the pulse.

:)

Thanks Anna & Mikky Dee. I believe it would be helpful if the Estate had an official public archive online, as people are actively seeking out reliable information. But it is what it is. I didn’t mean to derail this thread that much. ;) I’ll sign up for the newsletter. Thanks again. :)

I see they are still trying to pretend that she didn't say she believes Wade and James. Very shameful that they are lying like this. It's pretty sad that people like this are looking after MJs legacy.

Yeah I find that really strange. Her quotes were from reputable sources/articles. It could be that they set stuff straight with her behind the scenes and just aren't saying that because they don't want to look like the bad guys.

I'm wondering if she did believe them at one point, but then figured out the truth as more info came out.

Sony Exec Lia Vollack Launches Stage Production Company; Initial Roster Includes Controversial Michael Jackson Musical

Lia Vollack, a 22-year veteran of Sony Pictures Entertainment’s music and theater divisions, has formed a new company to develop Broadway productions, Deadline has confirmed. Lia Vollack Productions’ initial slate will include two shows already being prepped by Sony for 2020 premieres, including the controversial Michael Jackson musical.

The new company will produce the musicals, with Sony continuing on the projects as a partner.

In addition to MJ the Musical, Lia Vollack Productions will also produce Almost Famous, the musical based on Cameron Crowe’s 2000 film about a young Rolling Stone writer on tour with a big time rock band in the 1970s. The production, which received a pre-Broadway tryout at San Diego’s Old Globe Theater this fall, features an original score by Tom Kitt, with lyrics co-written by Kitt and Crowe. Directed by Jeremy Herrin, the musical also features a number of hit songs from the ’70s.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/sony-l...cal-almost-famous-michael-jackson-1202788497/

Lia Vollack is considered one of the leaders of music for film. She started her career in NYC as a theatre sound designer and eventually went to California where she became the President of Worldwide Music of Theatrical for Sony Pictures Entertainment. She created the digital label Madison Gate to publish film music that otherwise may have never seen the light of day. Some of its latest releases include Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’ soundtrack to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the jazz score to Midnight in Paris, a second volume for Country Strong as well as the soundtrack for The Social Network. She was also involved with Adele’s Oscar-winning son Skyfall for the James Bond film of the same name. Additional projects she has spearheaded include the soundtrack for The Amazing Spider Man and the remake of Annie. Other artists she has worked with include Paul McCartney, Pharrell Williams, Britney Spears, One Direction, Hans Zimmer, and Danny Elfman, to name a few. More recently, Ms. Vollack was appointed the Executive Vice President of Theatrical for Sony Pictures Entertainment, where she is helping develop a number of film-to-stage projects, including the West End musical Groundhog Day, based on the 1993 Bill Murray comedy.

https://americantheatrewing.org/advisors/lia-vollack/

Last edited:
Controversial MJ musical...??

Why is it controversial? - Just because it's MJ or??

MJ is controversial since at least 1985 according to MSM... :rolleyes: It's a way to taint anything even neutral by always using the same negative attributives attached to it.

ozemouze;4274782 said:
MJ is controversial since at least 1985 according to MSM... :rolleyes: It's a way to taint anything even neutral by always using the same negative attributives attached to it.

There’s no cheaper trick to grab the reader’s attention than to tack a few adjectives on to everything. I only wish they’d look up some synonyms, because their overuse of “controversial” is getting tiresome and reminds me of this:

2bgykhc.jpg

:laughing:

I'm seeing this on Twitter, but the article doesn't appear to be available in Europe, or the USA. Fans are saying it was maybe published too soon and has been pulled?

Exclusive: Ephraim Sykes Speaks About Being Cast as Michael Jackson In “MJ” The Musical
https://essence.com/articles/exclus...utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-button-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He looks like a great choice if the news is true. He seems to be an MJ fan :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVMTCL27rcc

[video=youtube;hVMTCL27rcc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVMTCL27rcc[/video]

and a nice - and very talented - guy...

....Born in a musical household, Sykes grew up learning the drums, saxophone, trumpet and piano from his parents. He graduated from the Alvin Ailey/Fordham University BFA program with honors, and then toured with the Ailey II company for two years. “I went to Fordham as a dancer dancer. I had tunnel vision,” he remembers.

A choreographer's assistant tapped him to audition for The Little Mermaid, which led Sykes to his Broadway debut in the Disney musical. “Once I got that, I felt at home. I never thought to do Broadway before that moment,” Sykes says. “My whole journey to Broadway has been—I can't even say a dream because I could have never dreamt it. I keep working hard and winding up in places I would have never expected.”

...After Hairspray Live!, Sykes was in demand, but he chose an audition for a stage show over pilot season. "All my agents and managers are like, ‘All right, Hollywood is buzzing about you.’ I had 20 to 25 meetings right after, and lo and behold, the first audition I had was for Ain't Too Proud,” Sykes says. “I really just understood this piece and this man's life.” Sykes captures the electricity of the troubled Temptations lead singer. “This is the most monstrous role I've ever had to take on,” Sykes explains. "My measure of success with this show is really just feeling like I've tried my best.”

Awards season voters have taken notice of the triple-threat: Sykes is nominated for the Drama League Distinguished Performance Award and an Outer Critics Circle Award for his performance in Ain’t Too Proud. But Sykes says it’s about a lot more than trophies: “The award is when I walk out of the stage door, and I meet somebody that says, ‘What you did really connected to me.' I love what I do. That's the award for me.”

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/19560...th-hairspray-live-co-star-ariana-grande-more/

(And he's a great dancer, too).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of his twitter/ instagram posts, from Feb 17:

Today's inspiration #MichaelJackson #GOAT ��

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQjXPirAkvH/

Last edited:
myosotis;4274861 said:
I'm seeing this on Twitter, but the article doesn't appear to be available in Europe, or the USA. Fans are saying it was maybe published too soon and has been pulled?

Yeah, I saw this making the rounds on Twitter last night. Someone was able to take a screenshot before they took it down, so it might really be an accidental leak. :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"> <a href="https://t.co/c3fdRidOKs">pic.twitter.com/c3fdRidOKs</a></p>&mdash; hatethejess (@hatethejess) <a href="https://twitter.com/hatethejess/status/1197302765640454144?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 20, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I really hope it&#8217;s him, he seems to be perfect for the job. :)

Michael Jackson Broadway Musical Finds Its Star

Tony nominee Ephraim Sykes is set to play the late King of Pop when 'MJ the Musical' makes its New York debut in the summer of 2020.

Producer Lia Vollack and The Michael Jackson Estate announced on Thursday that Ephraim Sykes is set to take on the role of the late King of Pop. Sykes has been cast as Jackson in Broadway's incoming MJ the Musical.

The production — previously titled Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, after Jackson's 1979 single — will begin preview performances July 6 with an official opening set for Aug. 13 at New York's Neil Simon Theatre.

The show — directed and choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon — will cover Jackson's career milestones with an emphasis on his achievements throughout his 20s and 30s. MJ the Musical will feature Jackson's catalog of hits and a book by two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Lynn Nottage.

News of Sykes' casting comes months after HBO's Leaving Neverland — which spans four hours and explores sexual abuse claims made against Jackson by former child stars James Safechuck and Wade Robson — won the Emmy for best documentary or nonfiction special. Following Leaving Neverland's debut in January at the Sundance Film Festival, Jackson's estate called the project "a tabloid character assassination" and insisted it "isn't a documentary," while Jackson's family called director Dan Reed and the pic's two accusers "opportunists."

Despite the scrutiny Jackson's legacy has faced, Sykes told Essence in a recent interview that he is looking forward to showcasing the iconic musician's "human" side. "I really want to do my best to bring it back down to show how human he truly was," he told the publication. "Putting those extraordinary circumstances, for better or for worse, so hopefully we can all have a little bit more empathy with him, his downfalls, his demons, his struggles as well."

Sykes is currently on Broadway in Ain't Too Proud: The Life and Times of the Temptations, portraying Motown recording artist David Ruffin, which earned him a Tony Award nomination this year. He has also received a Chita Rivera Award and the Helen Hayes Award, among other honors. Just yesterday, Sykes was nominated for a Grammy as a principal artist on the original cast recording of Ain't Too Proud.

Sykes was last seen on screen as Seaweed J. Stubbs in NBC’s Hairspray Live!. His Broadway credits include Hamilton: An American Musical, Memphis, Newsies, Motown and The Little Mermaid.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/michael-jackson-mj-musical-casts-ephraim-sykes-as-king-pop-1256852

Back