Meeting Michael - Beautiful, Touching Stories

TheChosenOne

Proud Member
banner2ru.png

Meeting Michael Jackson - Beautiful and Touching Stories

Michael was a beautiful and special human being. We have heard so many stories about how
gentle, sweet and kind he was to friends, colleagues and even complete strangers.

As they say in Law & Order - here are their stories!

The research for this thread was done by MJ TinkerBell. Kudos to you MJT!​

The day I met Michael Jackson
July 6, 2009 by Nick Soon

AFTER 22 years of keeping the secret, Riverstone Aboriginal leader Vilma Ryan has decided to speak about her personal meeting with Michael Jackson. Mrs Ryan, 70, arranged for the star to visit Murawina Preschool at Redfern when he was in the country during his 1987 tour promoting his Bad album.
She said she had been sworn to strict secrecy.
According to Mrs Ryan, Jackson and his entourage spent two hours at the centre. “Michael was very interested in Aboriginal affairs, especially black deaths in custody, but didn’t want to alienate his fans,” she said.
At the time of the visit Mrs Ryan worked as director of the centre.
She said she had been told the visit would have been cancelled if the press found out. “I was also warned not to publicise it even after his return to America,” she said. “That’s why it was never reported. It was the highlight of my life and my biggest secret for 22 years.”
Mrs Ryan said she was first invited to meet with Mr Jackson at the Regent Hotel in Sydney after she passed a letter to his people at Sydney airport. “Michael wanted to meet with staff, parents and kids of the preschool after his Sydney concert when I told him about my work. He gave me 100 tickets to his concert at Parramatta Stadium when I told him our kids couldn’t afford to see his show.

“He was very polite, soft-spoken and respectful during our meeting.”
She said the day after his concert, Mr Jackson’s people asked her to meet at his hotel and guide him and about 30 others to Redfern.
“I organised a team of Aboriginal women guards to look after his security and instructed them to lock the doors after his arrival,” she said.
“He spent about two hours at the centre talking with the kids, their parents and staff.”
She also organised for a group picture of Michael with the kids at a Surry Hills photo studio after the visit. “I cried when I heard he passed away and so did many of the kids who met him.”

There is a Radio broadcast with Vilma about Michael on this page.

The Source:
http://www.thesauce.info/2009/07/06/...ichael-jackson

The day I met Michael Jackson
Last Updated: June 28. 2009 12:34AM UAE / June 27. 2009 8:34PM GMT

A Michael Jackson photographed for the cover of Rolling Stone magazine in 1971. AP / Rolling Stone

Maryam Ismail, a regular columnist with The National who now lives in Sharjah, met a relatively unknown Michael Jackson 40 years ago when she was a five-year-old girl growing up in New Jersey. Here she recalls the little boy she will never forget.

When I heard the awful news, my mind jumped back in time. Back 40 years to a hot, summer Saturday afternoon in Harlem, New York. Back to when I was a five-year-old girl on a day out with my mother. Back to the day I met a rambunctious, smart-alec, 10-year-old boy who wanted to show me his new dance moves.

My mother danced at the Apollo Theatre in Harlem. It was – still is – the spiritual home of black American music, and it was her second home too. She just couldn’t stay away. My father was different, he liked to stay home, so she always took me with her.

When we got there we would do the rounds, first backstage, then the refreshment stand, and then front-row centre. That was our spot. It was there that I saw them all: the Chi-Lites, the Stylistics, Gladys Knight and the Pips, the Delfonics, James Brown, and other stars that most people under 40 don’t know.

My mother knew nearly all the R&B stars of the Sixties and Seventies. It’s a tale involving impossibilities, love, and lots of unanswered questions.

My parents loved to tell stories, and this was one of theirs: one late night my mother was just getting off work at the Apollo when she met the handsomest man in the world – my father, who just happened to be out front, taking a break from driving his lorry.

Love at first sight made my mother trade in her dancing costume and her baby cobra for a life of love that lasted more than 30 years.

It’s funny how things start out one way and have a completely different ending. Our trip that day from our home in Newark, New Jersey, took two buses and two trains.

I was a little slow following my mother off the train, and got caught between the doors. “Grab my hand. I’ll pull you out,” my mother shouted. I really thought I was going to die, but she got me out before the train began to move.

It was one of the scariest days of my life, but that’s not the only reason I’ll never forget it.

Coming out of the subway we met this guy who was walking alone, as we approached the Apollo on 125th in Harlem. “See you later,” he and my mother said to each other after speaking briefly, and we continued on our way. I didn’t think to ask who he was; my mother knew so many people.

I loved the Apollo too. Walking under the marquee, I loved to look at the Wall of Fame, a ground-to-ceiling panorama of all the performers who had performed there since the 1940s.

The Jackson 5 were new then. Two years earlier they had won the regular Amateur Night at the Apollo, but they had still to be “discovered” by Diana Ross.

That day they were low down on the bill and performed in the early evening. When the curtain went up and this group of five boys stood there ready to dazzle the crowd, the audience seemed more curious than enthralled – even when they performed their soon-to-be hit, ABC. Who were they?

It wasn’t until later that evening, backstage, that I realised who that stranger on the street was: Joe Jackson, the family patriarch. In the spacious backstage lounge we met Mr Joe again. Then it clicked. He was with those kids on stage.

“Hey, I want you to meet someone,” he said to me. Next, here comes this kid with a huge afro hairstyle. He had changed out of the white shirt with the long, pointy lapels into a loose, golden brown turtleneck, two shades lighter than his chestnut brown skin.

Taking a few hops before he landed on the steps where I was sitting, he spoke without looking directly at me, as boys often do with girls.

“Hi, how ya doin’?”

“Hi.”

“Look at this.” He jumped down three steps at a time.”

I wasn’t impressed. “Is that all?”

“No, I can do more than that, you’ll see.”

And we did. Oh, didn’t we just. The greatest song-and-dance man of all time, maybe the greatest entertainer of all time.

But that day he smoked me. I guess that’s what I remember most about him. I was jealous of his wit. Not mad, just jealous.

Of all of the things Michael Jackson later became famous for, no one could imagine the kid that I met that day. But that’s the boy I can never forget.

The only proof that this other Michael ever existed is in the Jackson 5 TV cartoon, where he was always trying to get in on the action, and his big brothers were always kicking him out with: “This is not for you, small fry.” Can you see the irony of it?

How many times have I looked at the Michael we now know and wondered what happened? “What did they do to you?” I’ve always wanted to ask. When I met him that day he was more than just another talented kid, but he still seemed to know the difference between performing on stage and just being him.

When it was time to go that day backstage at the Apollo, we both said: “See ya later.” He waved, and he was gone. I never saw him again.

The Link:
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090628/NATIONAL/706279810/1298

Richard Simpkin Photographer - Artist - Author

Michael was in Sydney in 1996 to do some concerts. The hotel was full of Jackson fans, twenty four hours a day. On the final day that he was in Sydney, I went down to his hotel wearing a casual suit and holding a laptop computer. I walked into the hotel and up to the first floor. Once there I sat down and worked on the computer. After thirty minutes or so, one of Michael’s security guards cleared the entire floor, he noticed that I was working on the computer and did not bother me. A few minutes later, Jackson walked out of the lifts and over to my direction, where there were a few children waiting with their parents to meet him.

Michael happily signed autographs for the children and posed for photos. After he had spent time with the children. I casually walked up to him and asked for a photo. Michael simply nodded his head and put out his arm so I could stand next to him. He walked down the stairs and signed as many autographs that he could for his devoted fans.

The Source:
http://www.richardsimpkin.com.au/Ric...& Famous.htm

Michael Jackson Saved My Grandma.
Friday, 26th June 2009

In december 1997, my maternal grandparents, joseph and concetta delisi, were on an american airlines flight from JFK to LAX. sitting coach, they were visiting my family for christmas.

a couple of hours into the flight, my grandma (literally) falls ill. what started as a stomach ache, ended with granny fainting and tumbling into the aisle.

when she awakes, hovering above (next to my grandpa) and holding out his hand, michael jackson.

“are you o.k.?” mj asked, in his delicate voice.

he helps grandma up, and invites my grandparents to join him in first class. they accept.

while grandma rests, grandpa enjoys first class service and chats it up with *****. they discuss family, food, and italy (gramps favorite subjects.)

upon landing, michael offers to drive my grandparents from LAX to my folks house (in the valley.) once again, they accept.

with grandma getting pushed through the airport in wheelchair, they make their way to MJ’s limo. however, in an effort to dodge paparazzi, they’re forced to make three limo transfers by jackson’s security.

once settled and on the 405N, michael pops-in one of his favorite movies (at the time,) men in black. they watch it together.

once they arrive at my childhood home, mom opens the front door to find my grandparents standing on the stoop, with michael jackson behind them (holding their bags.)

MJ enters the house, puts the bags down, and stands in front of the christmas tree. he is enamored by its beauty and the “family spirit” in the home.

my mom, in utter shock, FAILS to grab a camera to document the event, instead invites michael jackson back for a christmas party. he politely declines, returns to his limo, and heads to neverland ranch.

while a photograph was never taken, he left our family with an amazing memory, one that showed us michael jackson’s heart, soul, and genuine kindness.

The Source:
http://www.chriscantore.com/2009/06/...ed-my-grandma/

Hot Sauce talks about time spent with Michael Jackson..
by Dretam Inc./Dretam PR

Dretam PR client and famed street ball player Hot Sauce reminisces
about his time spent with Michael Jackson.

On his birthday in 2007, Michael Jackson flew legendary street ball player Hot Sauce to Neverland Ranch to meet his nephews and two of his children, Prince and Paris. Following is Hot Sauce’s memory of what he described as the most inspirational moment of his life.

“His nephews requested to see me. That was a shock in itself because they could have gotten any celebrity they wanted and they chose me. He flew me in on his birthday. When we pulled up he was waiting at the door. I was in awe, at first I thought he was a statue. Once I went inside the house, I could hear tourists telling me to open the door so they could see inside. I met his children and nephews and we went to the zoo on the premises
in golf carts.

Once we returned to the house we had dinner. We sang happy birthday and ate so much food. He kept asking me did I get enough and did I want more. I could barely eat because I was still in shock that I was even there. He made sure everyone was full. After dinner we sat at the table and talked. He acted like the average dad and uncle with the children. I was playing around with the basketball with his nephews when he asked me to show him some moves. So I did my boomerang and hurricane handles. Then I asked him to show me some of his moves. He did the air walk/moon walk move and said ‘that’s all I’ma give you.”

The most inspirational moment with him for me was towards the end of the day when he pulled me to the side and said ‘you are an inspiration to the kids. If I flew you out you know you’re special. Don’t let nobody bring you down ,do it the way you want to do it and do it right.’”

About Hot Sauce
Phillip Champion, also known as Hot Sauce, is an American basketball player who has played on the Streetball AND1 Mixtape Tour from its creation in 2000 until 2006. Known, worldwide, Champion is widely regarded as the best streetball player in the world.

The Source:
http://www.tambriapeeples.com/hot_sa...ichael_jackson

A close encounter with MJ in Manila
By Gwen Cariño (The Philippine Star) Updated July 11, 2009 12:00 AM

The author (right) shares a light moment with Michael Jackson during a Christmas party for orphans in Manila on Dec. 7, 1996.

MANILA, Philippines - (The author, a former PR officer of the Manila Hotel, writes about her experience with hotel guest Michael Jackson in December 1996.)

When I was a public relations officer at Manila Hotel, I was assigned to head the annual Orphan’s Christmas Party where 300 children from different orphanages around Metro Manila were treated to a day of fun and surprises. It was one of the biggest projects on my plate and it was such a challenge to focus on work the day before the big event, knowing Michael Jackson was billeted in the hotel.

Two nights before, I had been fortunate to be part of his welcome line at the hotel lobby together with the rest of the PR and sales staff and saw him walk by.

The day before, a guy claiming to be Michael Jackson’s aide from Mamarao Productions came to the office. I couldn’t recall his name but he looked for the “person in charge“ and said his boss had read the announcement about the event in the Dear Guest flyers we had circulated to all the rooms a week before. Michael wanted to know how he could help. His aide went up to the Penthouse and down to the PR office several times after we gave our suggestions.

Michael offered to fill up the 300 loot bags with goodies and toys, candies and chocolates. But after getting close to 50 sponsors, it was actually a problem for us to dispose of everything.

So I thought hard... how can the King of Pop meaningfully join the affair? I couldn’t possibly have him be with the kids in the palayok game or the pabitin as he might end up being mobbed! And since the annual event was really all about giving, I mustered all my courage and told the Mamarao guy that the best thing I could think of was for Michael to literally be present to help distribute the loot bags, sign autographs and pose with the children for photos.

“Wow, that may not be easy. You’re talking about handing goodie bags to 300 children and I can just imagine the chaos. We’ll see. I’ll get back to you,” he said.

Lunch break came and it was the most hurried one I ever took in my life. It wasn’t until after 5 p.m. that Michael’s aide came back and said, “Michael is more than happy to do whatever you suggest. How do we go about it tomorrow?” I wanted to scream. I had to calm myself and regain composure as the Lizzie Maguire in me said, “Get real, get back into focus.”

We agreed that Michael would come in after the games, musical program and snacks, at the last part to give out the loot bags. My colleague Annette Africano and boss Dulce Agnir requested for additional security around the garden and the stage area as this was where we decided to distribute the gifts. We made sure the children would form an orderly line.

Then the moment arrived. It was at the Champagne Gardens on Dec. 7, 1996. I was surprised to see him walking towards us, guided by his aide. Michael came up to me as I had to brief him.

“Hi, how are you? Thanks so much for letting me in, I know I’m early ’cause I didn’t want to miss the program.”
I said, “Are you kidding? Thanks so much for volunteering! Here’s what Michael – why don’t you just sit here and watch the musical numbers before we get into the gift giving. I will have to tweak the program a bit.”

He replied, “Sure, anything you say... (pausing to look at my name tag) Gwen!” I was stunned at how incredibly sweet and modest he was. And in my mind it was, “Oh my God, this is really happening!”

Amazing how he patiently sat through the whole program. Carol Banawa, then an “Ang TV” mainstay couldn’t believe MJ was watching her perform. She had her red blouse signed by him right after her number.

Then followed Stefano Mori’s dance number. Later, his back up singers and dancers came up on stage followed by select kids from different orphanages who danced to the beat of ‘Billie Jean’. Oh, the smile on Michael’s face was just amazing.

Then we announced that Michael will be distributing gifts onstage. I explained to him that there’s a loot bag for the younger kids and another for the older ones and he nodded. The thrill and excitement he gave those children was incredibly touching. It was in between the gift bag distribution that I caught a glimpse of MJ, not as a performer but as a person.

It was one in the afternoon. Santa Claus (David Endriga, a friend of fellow PR officer Francis Capistrano) was with us. The heat was scorching and I was worried that Michael felt so hot with his black long-sleeved signature attire and hat.

“Are you alright Michael? We can let you take a break,” I asked.

He said, “I’m cool, Gwen. Just imagine how Santa feels inside his velvet suit and beard. We’ll be fine.”

I never heard him complain or say a word about how hot it was or how long the line was. He had the most beautiful manners. He didn’t even ask for a drink or a towel to wipe his sweat but one of our banquet staff made sure he got a glass of fresh orange juice.

An hour passed and we were halfway through gift-giving when we noticed that the garden was getting filled up. Suddenly, there were people from media, politicians, officials and hotel guests, including those in a wedding reception at the nearby Champagne Room who deserted the newlyweds just to get a glimpse of the King of Pop.
“Oh, this isn’t supposed to be, I’m so sorry,” I said.

“It’s all right, we’ll get through it,” Michael said, smiling. As we finished giving out the last loot bag to an 11-year-old orphan, a new line of more kids and adults formed. Michael’s bodyguard, Wayne, said. “We can leave now.”
Michael replied calmly, “We can’t leave when there are still people in line. It’s Christmas, dude.”

I felt my heart beat faster and the hair on my arms and the back of my neck stood up. He wasn’t just the most electrifying performer, but the most generous person.

One of the most memorable moments was when a lady came up to him for an autograph. Laughing and holding his tummy, he said “Hey Gwen, you’ve gotta check this out.” He whispered, “It’s a blank check. The lady is making me sign on a blank check.”

We laughed hard and little did we know that it wasn’t even half of the comedy. He later showed me and Wayne other stuff people would use or pick up on the ground when they couldn’t find paper for him to sign on. One lady made him sign at the back of her elegant, designer Filipiniana gown. One teenager came up to him holding a dead leaf and another one, a popped balloon. Imagine how our laughter ballooned as well.

It was an amazing, genuine experience. At one point he asked if I was going to catch his History concert and I said, “Tomorrow night.”

“Oh, you’ll have a blast!” Michael told me.

At this point he became concerned about the stage as adults outnumbered the kids. His face had nervousness written all over it but he still didn’t complain. He tapped the wooden floor with his foot several times making sure it was sturdy enough not to fall apart.

“I’ve experienced the stage collapse and I just want to make sure we’re all safe here,” he explained.

Half of me wanted the line to finish because we were literally melting and worried about our safety, but half of me didn’t, knowing that once the line ended, Michael would leave.

At some point it did end. I managed to get an autograph for my sisters and me before our general manager, Clem Pablo, requested him to sing ‘Give Love on Christmas Day’.

Cesar Sarino, one of the hotel’s officials, addressed his thank you note to the King of Pop. Then I saw his guards and aides whisking Michael off stage. I said in my mind, “Oh man, I didn’t even have the chance to say goodbye.”
Suddenly, I saw Michael return on stage and say, “Thanks so much to you and your team, Gwen. This really means a lot.” Then he held me beside him and said, “I’ll see you at the concert.”

As Michael Jackson is laid to rest and returned to pristine condition in the afterlife, these two incredible acts of the King of Pop – volunteering for charity and unselfishly spending time with the less fortunate – will forever be the way I will remember this man.

Thanks, guy!

And I am going to try to spice them up with some pics (the MJ TinkerBell would do it)!

Thank you for this thread. It's nice to see some positivity for a change. :flowers:

I love to read this thread and such lovely stories. :wild::girl_in_love::heart:

Thankyou sooomuch for these inspiring factual stories Nancii and MJT! Michael you are beautiful beyond words...and we are so proud to love you for all time...:wub:

Hot Sauce talks about time spent with Michael Jackson..
by Dretam Inc./Dretam PR

Dretam PR client and famed street ball player Hot Sauce reminisces
about his time spent with Michael Jackson.

On his birthday in 2007, Michael Jackson flew legendary street ball player Hot Sauce to Neverland Ranch to meet his nephews and two of his children, Prince and Paris. Following is Hot Sauce’s memory of what he described as the most inspirational moment of his life.

“His nephews requested to see me. That was a shock in itself because they could have gotten any celebrity they wanted and they chose me. He flew me in on his birthday. When we pulled up he was waiting at the door. I was in awe, at first I thought he was a statue. Once I went inside the house, I could hear tourists telling me to open the door so they could see inside. I met his children and nephews and we went to the zoo on the premises
in golf carts.

Once we returned to the house we had dinner. We sang happy birthday and ate so much food. He kept asking me did I get enough and did I want more. I could barely eat because I was still in shock that I was even there. He made sure everyone was full. After dinner we sat at the table and talked. He acted like the average dad and uncle with the children. I was playing around with the basketball with his nephews when he asked me to show him some moves. So I did my boomerang and hurricane handles. Then I asked him to show me some of his moves. He did the air walk/moon walk move and said ‘that’s all I’ma give you.”

The most inspirational moment with him for me was towards the end of the day when he pulled me to the side and said ‘you are an inspiration to the kids. If I flew you out you know you’re special. Don’t let nobody bring you down ,do it the way you want to do it and do it right.’”

About Hot Sauce
Phillip Champion, also known as Hot Sauce, is an American basketball player who has played on the Streetball AND1 Mixtape Tour from its creation in 2000 until 2006. Known, worldwide, Champion is widely regarded as the best streetball player in the world.

The Source:
http://www.tambriapeeples.com/hot_sa...ichael_jackson

"It's very nice to meet you too," Michael Jackson said to me in his very soft, high voice, as I had the amazing experience of meeting him, unexpectedly, in Orlando, Florida in 2002 when, by chance, we were eating at the same restaurant.

I was competing at the Miss America Jr. Teen pageant and on the last night my family and I ate at a very popular Japanese steakhouse, the Benihana (which Michael told me was one of his favorites).

My family got out of our seats when we heard a lot of commotion at a nearby table. When our cook told us that Michael Jackson was eating in the next room, we couldn't believe it. We left our chairs and our food to see if it was true. It was.

Michael was so gracious and generous, at times even shy. The owners closed the restaurant to additional customers and Michael took pictures and talked with people for over two hours. Everyone was standing in line to meet him. He was very patient and sweet despite the numerous people and downright chaos. I particularly remember people outside the restaurant's locked glass doors banging and shouting to get in to see him.

I saw poised beauty queens turn outright giddy in a matter of seconds of just seeing him. Everyone around him was talking loudly and screaming, not only for his attention, but because they were impressed. I felt a natural high and an excitement that rivaled Christmas and birthdays. Energy and excitement radiates from Michael! As he walked outside to a waiting car, hundreds of fans were gathered. As his car drove off, I saw two women pass out.

His kids, wearing spiderman masks, were with him along with an entourage of about 10 people. Michael talked with everyone and it took him hours to slowly walk out of the restaurant to the limo outside. He signed autographs and gave hugs. He was very relaxed and seemed genuinely happy.

I actually wasn't a huge Jackson fan, besides knowing him and appreciating his music, until I met him (my junior year in high school) and since then I defended him during the next years. When I met him he was nothing like those reports you see on T.V. The literal pandemonium that surrounded him was unreal. It really put into perspective the good and bad of his amazing star power. And yet he still remained calm, composed and childlike.

It's been really tragic to hear of his passing. He is such a huge international star. I've been living in China for almost two years, and I've found that Chinese people universally know two people- Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson. Sometimes showing the picture of me and him, especially in China where it is hard for me to communicate, has been a great conversation starter.

I feel incredibly honored to have met him. There's just something about him and being in his presence that is hard to explain- it's simply...special.

Messick is a 23-year-old American living and working in Beijing.
(China.org.cn July 9, 2009)

The Source:
http://www.china.org.cn/culture/Mich...t_18101976.htm

This is so beautiful, I'm smiling and crying at the same time...yes, we-the fans who have been blessed to 'know' , love, honour, appreciate and be inspired by the 'real' Michael Jackson for years and years truly understand every word of this heart-warming story! Thankyou for continuing to inspire the world sweetest angel of Light...we love you and miss you with every breath...hope to meet you soon someday... :)

"It's very nice to meet you too," Michael Jackson said to me in his very soft, high voice, as I had the amazing experience of meeting him, unexpectedly, in Orlando, Florida in 2002 when, by chance, we were eating at the same restaurant.

I was competing at the Miss America Jr. Teen pageant and on the last night my family and I ate at a very popular Japanese steakhouse, the Benihana (which Michael told me was one of his favorites).

My family got out of our seats when we heard a lot of commotion at a nearby table. When our cook told us that Michael Jackson was eating in the next room, we couldn't believe it. We left our chairs and our food to see if it was true. It was.

Michael was so gracious and generous, at times even shy. The owners closed the restaurant to additional customers and Michael took pictures and talked with people for over two hours. Everyone was standing in line to meet him. He was very patient and sweet despite the numerous people and downright chaos. I particularly remember people outside the restaurant's locked glass doors banging and shouting to get in to see him.

I saw poised beauty queens turn outright giddy in a matter of seconds of just seeing him. Everyone around him was talking loudly and screaming, not only for his attention, but because they were impressed. I felt a natural high and an excitement that rivaled Christmas and birthdays. Energy and excitement radiates from Michael! As he walked outside to a waiting car, hundreds of fans were gathered. As his car drove off, I saw two women pass out.

His kids, wearing spiderman masks, were with him along with an entourage of about 10 people. Michael talked with everyone and it took him hours to slowly walk out of the restaurant to the limo outside. He signed autographs and gave hugs. He was very relaxed and seemed genuinely happy.

I actually wasn't a huge Jackson fan, besides knowing him and appreciating his music, until I met him (my junior year in high school) and since then I defended him during the next years. When I met him he was nothing like those reports you see on T.V. The literal pandemonium that surrounded him was unreal. It really put into perspective the good and bad of his amazing star power. And yet he still remained calm, composed and childlike.

It's been really tragic to hear of his passing. He is such a huge international star. I've been living in China for almost two years, and I've found that Chinese people universally know two people- Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson. Sometimes showing the picture of me and him, especially in China where it is hard for me to communicate, has been a great conversation starter.

I feel incredibly honored to have met him. There's just something about him and being in his presence that is hard to explain- it's simply...special.

Messick is a 23-year-old American living and working in Beijing.
(China.org.cn July 9, 2009)

The Source:
http://www.china.org.cn/culture/Mich...t_18101976.htm

Hugs to you Nancii ((())) Rating this great thread with a 5 Star! :)

Originally posted by billyworld99

The first time I met Michael Jackson was backstage at The Forum in Los Angeles in early July 1980. He was at the QUEEN show that evening and came to see the band afterwards. He spent time with John Deacon and they talked about ‘Another One Bites the Dust’ which Michael says must be a single. He also spent time with Freddie. He was 22 years old and was like an excited teenager. He had really enjoyed the show and was still ‘up’ from it.

The next time was a couple of years later when Freddie had been invited to Michael’s house in Encino, just north of Hollywood. We arrived at the house, having passed a security tower at the gate. We got out of the car at a mock Tudor mansion, bricks at the lower level, and white stucco and wooden beams above. Michael came to greet us with a big smile, obviously proud of his house. Before we could go in, he insisted we accompany him on a tour of the grounds. I will never forget Freddie Mercury walking through mud, wearing white jeans and white tennis shoes, talking to llamas! We were shown all the animals and taken down to a pond where Michael had swans. Michael had a real love for these animals and birds; they were part of ‘his family’, as Freddie’s friends were part of his.

Michael took us into the house. I don’t know how many rooms there were in it. I do know that Michael lived there with his mother, Katherine, his two sisters, Latoya and Janet, and there were rooms for guests should anybody stay over. As we entered Michael’s bedroom, I was struck by three things, that gave an insight to Michael.. All around the room, on the floor were his gold and platinum awards for ‘Thriller’. They obviously meant a lot to him, he kept them close, but he didn’t need to show them to the world, he didn’t need to show everybody how good he was. The second thing was the large terrarium along one wall containing his snake. Much had been made in the press about this favourite creature, and he was in Michaels’s room, but under heavy planks of wood kept in place with many bricks. He may have been a ‘friend’, but kept very securely. Third and last was- in the middle of the room was a king-size mattress on the floor.

Freddie asked Michael “where is the bed? You have enough money to buy one!” Michael’s reply “when I sleep I like to sleep close to the earth”,

“But we are up on the first floor!” retorted Freddie.
We were shown through many rooms including a film room which had a vast library of films where I watched one, while Freddie and Michael worked, joined by Janet. Another wonderful situation was when Freddie was in the toilet, Michael took me to his video games room and we played the early version of table tennis. There were two players, one black and the other white. We started playing and Michael was the one who pointed out that we were playing the opposite colours – “I’m playing the white and you’re playing the black!”

On the way to the studio at the back of the ground floor we were taken through the kitchen where we were introduced to Katherine, Michael’s mother. She was very kind and hospitable. When Freddie asked for an ashtray, she produced a jam jar lid, as no one in the house smoked!
The work comprised of a Michael track, ‘State of Shock’, which only needed another vocal, which Freddie happily provided. When they had finished it really only needed mixing, but sadly after this session time was the enemy and Freddie and Michael never had free time together, so Michael got Mick Jagger to put his vocal on this and it was released in this form.

The next was a Freddie piece he was just working on at this time. There was a piano tune and Freddie had come up with a few words. Freddie sat at the piano and let Michael try the singing. Where there were no words written Freddie told Michael to ad-lib, which he did with words about love.

Michael then ordered in some food for us all. There were these large platters of cold meats, salads, bread, and fruit. We started in, but Michael wouldn’t touch any as he was a strict vegetarian at the time and would only have food made by his mother.

Work was started on a third track with a working title ‘Victory’. There was only one technician in the studio. There were no instruments set up and no musicians. Freddie and Michael worked in much the same way. At the start of a track they need a drum track to keep the beat, and then they add music and instruments to this. Michael had a clever idea for the bass drum beat. He and Freddie were in the control room with the technician and I spent 5 minutes banging a toilet door in perfect time!! Somewhere in Michael’s vaults there is a tape of me!!

The studio was a place of work for both Freddie and Michael, but watching them you could also imagine two children in a play room. Both of them would throw their hands in the air and burst out laughing when either of them made a mistake, but it really was a serious business too. Thinking back now to this time watching these two masters of their craft were together in one place putting this music together, gives me goose bumps.

Who was Michael Jackson for me? I met a beautiful young man. He and Freddie had much in common. He was confident, and already an incredible musician and performer. He was a resourceful technician and a considerate human being. He never once treated me any differently than he did Freddie. He thought of others in situations even though it might have had nothing to do with him. In the few conversations I had with him, I got the impression that he had few friends. He was working almost all of the time and had many professional connexions and associates. Maybe he was already a bit lonely, having to have so much security at that early age, and having to resort to bringing indoors the entertainment anyone else his age could go out for. He was only 3 years younger than me, but still hadn’t grown up! He still wanted so many of the simple things in life to bring him happiness, but did find some peace with his animals.

http://montreuxmusic.com/mmm/content...4/lang,english

Originally posted by Turtle Dove.

http://www.newsweek-interactive.com/....html?from=rss

The Day Shaq Showed Michael Jackson His Bed

The basketball star knew that the King of Pop almost bought his house. What he didn’t expect was for Michael to pop in for a visit.

By Shaq O'Neil
Newsweek 6/25/10

Back in the day: O'Neal and Jackson

Like most people of my generation, I grew up idolizing Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five. Their dance moves, afros, and hip costumes—everything about them—were the coolest things my friends and I had ever seen. I mean who didn’t want Michael’s red leather jacket from “Thriller”? I sure did. Even though my family spent a great deal of the ’80s in Germany with my military father, there was no way you could miss Michael and his shiny glove or his famous dance, the moonwalk. I could do the moonwalk better than anyone in my class in Germany. The world loved him and so did I.

When we did arrive back in the United States during the mid-’80s, Michael was the undisputed King of Pop, and my brother, sisters, and I ate it up. We watched every one of his videos from the album Thriller with laserlike focus, analyzing his every move so we could re-create them in our living room. “Beat It” was pretty much our family anthem, since we listened to it and sang it so much. After I entered the NBA and got drafted by the Orlando Magic, I went to purchase a house and wanted one on the lake in Florida. The real-estate agent told me he had the perfect house for me and that Michael Jackson had been interested in buying it as well. I actually bought it.

One day out of the blue, there was knock on the door and when I opened it—there stood the King of Pop in all his glory. I’m rarely without something to say, but on that day and at that moment I was speechless. He wanted to see what I’d done with the place (LOL), so I took him on a tour. As you might expect, he loved my recording studio and couldn’t get over my round Superman bed that fits 45 people. He thought it was the coolest thing he’d ever seen. Having just gotten a taste of fame myself, I was really surprised by how normal and kind he was. I could tell he really enjoyed just hanging out and talking for a while about basketball and other stuff going on with me. He liked just being a regular guy for a moment.

Since he was so nice, I asked him to hang around a little longer so my youngest sister, Ayesha, could come over to meet him. She loved Michael on an entirely different level and would have killed me if I hadn’t held him there for her. He stayed, and it was probably one of the best days of our lives. He came back to visit another time with Lisa Marie Presley. She loved my Superman bed, too! A couple years later, when I became a Los Angeles Laker, Michael invited me to Neverland for the day. Again, I was speechless. To go to someone’s house that had a zoo and roller coaster was surreal. I was more excited than any of the kids there. I had a ball and so did Michael.

As my career became more hectic, it wasn’t as easy to spend time with him, but we kept in touch over the years through friends and associates. His death really hit me and my family hard because he’d been so much a part of our lives before we’d ever even met him. My youngest son, Shaquir, who is just 7, cried his eyes out when he heard he’d passed away. Michael was the most amazing performer of my lifetime and, for me personally, an inspiration and a friend.

Posted on: <!-- ab on -->June 26, 2009 - 3:43 pm

<!--StartFragment-->London, UK June 26, 2009 Fri 11:15 am

<!--StartFragment-->
In the mid 60&#8217;s or thereabouts, I heard a group of pop singers who went by the name of &#8216;the Jackson 5&#8217;. Many years later when I had the facility of a video player I saw them in action live. The youngest among them, was this chubby cute little fellow with an extraordinary voice and a body that for his age and countenance, moved exceptionally well. I found out his name was Michael &#8211; Michael Jackson.
For several years thereafter, we did not hear him or of him; the Beatles had invaded the music scene and the entire universe had adopted them as their own.
It was around the mid 70&#8217;s that lightening struck and from it emerged this grown up version of Michael Jackson, singing, moving, dancing like he was from some other planet ! Mesmerized by his brilliance in each and every department of music and performance, he changed the very psyche, of not just the kind of music he was making, but also the psyche of the listening audience. Nothing compared to him. He was just this incredible perfection that God could have possibly created in his mercy.
His body moved like a wound up toy machine. Every conceivable action of rhythm and style was incorporated inside his diminutive form, without any blemish. The exhilaration that he provided became synonymous with the ultimate. He was the impossible.
With the greater advent of modern technology and its rather slow percolation into the developing world, we would only get to see or hear him, through great effort made by those that had the privilege of travel. These, purveyors and bringers of good tidings, would carry with them his music and his videos from across the seven seas into our lives. And we the possessors of such rare material, became the idols of great attention, simply because we had in our possession, a video of Michael Jackson .
Time passed by. Our own travels became more frequent and we started becoming proud owners of his CD&#8217;s and Video. They became our most prized possessions. Those who did not get an opportunity to be in similar circumstance, looked upon us with awe and gratitude when we would play for them, somewhat reluctantly, MJ music and video. Everyone wanted to dance like him, dress like him, BE him. But no one came anywhere near.
Soon after my accident in 1982, I went to the United States of America for recuperation and consultations with the medical fraternity there on my post- operative condition. It was while I was in New York that we came to learn of Michael Jackson on tour with one of his many concerts that he was performing in. The next one was to be in a city called, oddly, Jacksonville Florida. The show we discovered was on the next day. It was an opportunity we just could not miss. So we boarded a flight and landed up in the morning at Jacksonville, without knowing a soul, without any hotel reservation and without a ticket to the concert. Moving from one location to the other with a friendly helpful cabbie, we landed up in the same hotel that MJ was in, only to be shown the door because the entire hotel, and all the floors had been taken up by Mr Jackson and his massive entourage. Begging and pleading with the management for some space, the kitchen, parking lot, a bench in the lobby, we finally managed a small discard in the corner somewhere, where my brother and I, he accompanying me on this escapade, rested our bodies before we undertook the other more important ordeal &#8211; tickets for the show !!
By the afternoon, we discovered ourselves loitering around this massive football stadium, with no clue whatsoever where and how we could get inside this cavernous enclosure to see THE MJ perform.
The walk about seemed endless. After consuming tons of ice sticks and the fizzies in the hot and humid atmosphere, and witnessing countless groups of fans in ecstatic gear and temperament; one particular individual standing out in his peculiarity by trying desperately to warn visitors NOT to go inside, because MJ was the devil incarnate, we finally, minutes before it was gearing up to start, met our savior &#8211; the ever reliable tout !! An exorbitant bargain was struck and we were racing up the galleries even as the first strains of the colossal audio system started up.
Our seats were.. well.. comfortable. They were made of cement and were not individual in nature, just a long endless strip that ran around the stadium in uniform fashion. The air was fresh and I thought somewhat cooler than where we met Monsieur Tout and we soon realized why. We were in the last row of the tier at the very edge of this monstrous construction, looking down upon a mass of almost a 100,000 humanity, requiring most definitely, the assistance of a parachute in case we wanted to make an immediate exit !!
With a bit of shoving and pushing we finally were able to seek deliverance &#8211; the space to finally rest our posteriors. This unfortunately lasted just a few seconds, for, a huge bang of music almost immediately, tore our eardrums away and a blinding light from the stage on one end, accompanied by the most decibel led roar from 100,000, got everyone on their feet again !! And that is how we remained for the next three hours !! For almost 45 minutes the build up kept us in hungry anticipation and then&#8230; almost by magic.. he was on stage&#8230; NOTHING WAS HEARD THENCE, NOTHING WAS SEEN THERAFTER, NOTHING BUT UTTER.. UTTER .. HALUCIGENIC MADNESS !!
That was my first introduction to him in person. But it was not the last !!

In the early 90&#8217;s on another private visit to New York, the door bell of my room in the Helmsley Palace Hotel rang, and I sauntered up to open it. There as I stood in the doorway, across me, was Michael Jackson ! He looked a little surprised as he turned around to those he was accompanied with and in his now well known soft voice gently spoke up &#8211; &#8220;Oh ! Excuse me ! I think I have the wrong room !&#8221;.
I have no recollection of what I said in return, whether I said anything at all, how long I remained in that state and when I closed the door to come back in. But that was him and he had come to the wrong room !!
Later the next day, my friend Mohan Murjani, who was perhaps working with MJ on some project and staying in the same hotel, set up a meeting for me with Michael Jackson and we met and laughed at the previous days incident and exchanged pleasant conversation. He was soft spoken, very humble and most polite. Introduced me to his Mother who accompanied him and then I was out of there !!

I never saw him again but when he came to perform in Mumbai at the Andheri Sports Complex, Prateeksha, where I live, shook the entire night with the vibrations of all his most popular numbers booming out from the venue.
An exceptional artist has gone. Someone that created an almost outer world experience for all of us with his art.
When I get back I shall pull out an old birthday party recording of 7-8 year aged Abhhishek, dressed like Michael and dancing to &#8216;Thriller&#8217;.

http://bigb.bigadda.com/?p=2857

*****Amitabh Bachchan is hailed as the greatest actor in the history of Indian cinema. He has been at the top of super-duper, mindboggling megastardom for decades now and is the highest paid actor in Bollywood. His genius has won him popular and critical acclaim and he continues to be the favourite of all generations of movie goers in India. With a career spanning 40 years, the 60 plus actor is going strong, doing movies, hosting the Indian version of 'Who wants to be a millionnaire' and endorsing the greatest number of popular international brands! He is respectfully refered to as the Big B. The accident he had that later took him to US in 1982(where he saw the Michael Jackson concert) almost killed him. The entire country had prayed for his recovery. Together with his talented actor wife Jaya, successful actor son Abhishekh and supremely beautiful daughter-in-law ex Miss World and actress Aishwarya Rai they are referred to as the first family of Bollywood.

I met our beloved Michael in 1988 when I was 12 years old. I loved him even then. Oh how I loved him!! I must have driven my family crazy but I am the youngest and only daughter so they indulge me.
My birthday is in Dec. and I got a combined Christmas/birthday present of tickets for the BAD tour shows in Kansas City and Chicago (we live on the southwest side)

My parents took me to the show in KC and there are no words to adequately describe how I felt. Just absolutely magical.

Anyway after the show my parents let me join up with a small group that would try to find Michael. And we did!!!To our delight he stopped to talk with us and asked each of us our names and where we were from.

My whole body was exploding with pride as this perfect gentleman,my hero, greeted my mother and father and shook both of their hands and thanked them for coming to the show.
I cannot begin to tell you how impressed we all were with this lovely man who must have been so tired but took the time to say hello and he seemed sincerely happy to do so.

In the 23 years since I met Michael I can tell you I have never met anybody else whose mere presence could make me feel such joy and love all at the same time. I imagine heaven must be like this.

June 25,2009 I am sitting alone in my car in a parking lot and I have just heard that Michael Jackson is dead. Just a short time later my parents call to see if I am ok.
I am hysterical. I keep saying I didn't even know him why does this hurt so bad. My mom practically yells at me "Oh yes you did know him" and I know I did...And I don't think you had to physically meet Michael Jackson to have known him.

I truly believe we all knew/know him. On some level we are all connected and Michael touched our longing for pure unselfish love.

With Michael we had it. I know we have it still.
Like it said at the end of TII "LOVE LIVES FOREVER"

I just have to believe that.

I met our beloved Michael in 1988 when I was 12 years old. I loved him even then. Oh how I loved him!! I must have driven my family crazy but I am the youngest and only daughter so they indulge me.
My birthday is in Dec. and I got a combined Christmas/birthday present of tickets for the BAD tour shows in Kansas City and Chicago (we live on the southwest side)

My parents took me to the show in KC and there are no words to adequately describe how I felt. Just absolutely magical.

Anyway after the show my parents let me join up with a small group that would try to find Michael. And we did!!!To our delight he stopped to talk with us and asked each of us our names and where we were from.

My whole body was exploding with pride as this perfect gentleman,my hero, greeted my mother and father and shook both of their hands and thanked them for coming to the show.
I cannot begin to tell you how impressed we all were with this lovely man who must have been so tired but took the time to say hello and he seemed sincerely happy to do so.

In the 23 years since I met Michael I can tell you I have never met anybody else whose mere presence could make me feel such joy and love all at the same time. I imagine heaven must be like this.

June 25,2009 I am sitting alone in my car in a parking lot and I have just heard that Michael Jackson is dead. Just a short time later my parents call to see if I am ok.
I am hysterical. I keep saying I didn't even know him why does this hurt so bad. My mom practically yells at me "Oh yes you did know him" and I know I did...And I don't think you had to physically meet Michael Jackson to have known him.

I truly believe we all knew/know him. On some level we are all connected and Michael touched our longing for pure unselfish love.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story of meeting Michael. Even though I never got the chance to meet Michael, I do feel like I know him. His spirit is all around us and LOVE does live forever.

:girl_sigh: :heart:

Made me cry.... :cry:

This was originally posted by ivy and I wasn't sure where to place it. I guess is the best place for now.

He had a cameo appearance in the film, and this is Mary’s story:

KB: Did you guys know, when you started the movie, that he was going to be in the movie?

MV: No, Not at all. I think it was his idea actually; I don’t know for sure. You’d have to ask Barry Sonnenfeld, but I’m pretty sure that he had asked to be in it because he was a fan of the first movie, and this was the sequel. It was Sony Pictures, and he had his music deal at Sony, so he has a lot of Sony contacts and when they contacted Barry, he was like “Oh yeah! That would be great!” They were all excited that he wanted to be involved in this movie.

KB: When they told you he was going to be in it, what was your reaction?

MV: I just thought it was great; I was sorry that it was just a cameo! I was hoping that he would have, like, a part! But it was just strictly a one-day cameo. But I was so excited about it.

KB: When you got the word, did you call him for his sizes? How did you get his sizes so you could create the garment?

MV: Well, you know, I am sure you’ve dealt with actors who are super, super busy and I knew there was no way I was ever going to get a fitting with him. So, we contacted his agent, and of course they give you these sizes that are not really sizes, they’re more like clues instead of sizes… When you know what people’s measurements should be, and you get this stuff like, a human being could never possibly have these measurements… So I knew that those were completely wrong. I knew that he had a designer that he’d been working with for like thirty years (Michael Bush), and I thought, “Well, if anyone’s gonna know, he’s gonna know…” At the time I think he was out of the country; I had trouble getting in touch with him. I knew that Rick Baker had body casts of him; it turned out to be a little bit of a hunt to find his sizes. Another designer had just done something with him where he made suits, and I found out where those suits were made. And, yeah. So it was a little bit of detective work! Michael’s designer contacted me, a couple weeks later, and then we pieced together sizes. I was able to hire a body double that we did the fittings on.

KB: So tell me about when you met him – was it the day he was supposed to work? And then you had to fit him that day?

MV: Yeah, exactly, it was like the day he was going to work, and I had the suit and the shirt and the shoes and the whole thing. And it was on the Sony lot, and he had a trailer, just like a normal Starwaggon, nothing special. He had one security guard, and he knew I was coming – it was just me, because we didn’t want to crowd his trailer with a whole lot of people – so it was just me, and his outfit, and the security guard let me in. And like, he was there, in like sweatpants and a robe, and you know how they have these like little small kitchens in those motor homes? He was at the table, making sandwiches! And there were these two kids, like little kids, his kids, and they were coloring. It was like the most perfectly normal family scene you could ever imagine. I never thought that his kids would be there, for one thing, because he was working. And I never expected for him to be making them sandwiches! I was expecting something, I guess, a little more elaborate! Or a little more bizarre…?

KB: (laughs)

MV: And he was just like, “Oh Hi! – Oh, you have my suit?” And he was like, “Oh, I’ll put it on!”, and so he went to the back of the trailer and put it on. I had pre-tied the tie, you know, velcroed it in the back so that he, well he’s probably used to stage clothes that are already pre-rigged, and so… everything was fine. He said that he wanted to keep the clothes, and I just said, “Fine!” I’m sure everyone expected that. And then he went out and shot the scene, and it was just him shooting against a green screen. I think it took a couple of hours. And then, that was the end of it!

It was really interesting because he was really quiet, more concerned with the kids’ lunch than anything else. A phone call came in about music, a business call, and he suddenly, completely changed. He was then a very efficient person, you know, efficient voice and it was just all business, like a Wall Street stock trader or something. You could really see how he was, a businessman. It was very interesting.

KB: Yeah. I mean, when you think about the superstars you’ve worked with in your lifetime, he’s gotta be up there in the top!

MV: Oh, definitely.

KB: We’re very privileged.

Thank you, Mary, for your time and for sharing your story about costume icon Michael Jackson. I look forward to talking with you in the future about more of your fabulous work!

http://frocktalk.com/?p=961

Editor&#8217;s note: This summer, make-up artist Michael Thomas and pop star Michael Jackson died within two months of each other (Thomas&#8217; obituary is posted on our site). Here, Thomas, who was Jackson's make-up artist for The Wiz, recalls some memorable experiences with Jackson on and off the set. Thomas&#8217; wife, Christine Domaniecki, shared Thomas&#8217; memories with us.

Wizardry Behind The Wiz

On The Wiz, we had Vac-u-Forms made from plaster life masks of each actor who appeared as a main character (including the Cowardly Lion, the Tin Man and the Scarecrow, played by Michael Jackson). They were made because every week or so, Stan Winston&#8217;s Los Angeles-based lab would ship a bunch of the actors&#8217; freshly made foam-latex appliances to New York, where we shot the movie.

After I brought the Scarecrow appliances home, I would lightly attach the foam-latex pieces to the Vac-u-Form and pre-color them. It saved a lot of application time when we were in the make-up room at the Kaufman Astoria Studios. Keeping the foam-latex pieces on the form during pre-painting kept them in shape, the way a coat hanger keeps wrinkles out of a coat. On the inside of one of the forms, you can see a few color swatches. I duplicated the color of the Scarecrow's greasepaint in artists&#8217; acrylic. I put acrylic on the neck ruffle he wore as well, because if I used greasepaint, it would rub off onto his costume.

We were allowed to keep the forms at the end of the movie. I have about five.

Every morning I began Michael&#8217;s make-up by applying a bald cap to keep his hair, which was in very small braids, in place. Next I would apply the foam-latex pieces: a forehead piece, two cheek pieces, a nose piece (which was supposed to look like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup wrapper), a chin piece and a neck ruffle. They went on in the morning and had to be maintained during the day.

Because the Scarecrow was a very cartoon-y character, Michael made lots of exaggerated facial expressions to bring the Scarecrow to life. The facial calisthenics looked great, but they also loosened the foam-latex pieces, so I would have to re-glue and re-paint the make-up (for more on this, see the Martini Shot in Issue 81 of Make-Up Artist magazine). To remove the make-up at the end of the day, I would stand behind Michael, lift the back of the bald cap and peel it up over his head. The cap and the foam-latex appliances would come off pretty much all in one piece.

But then I&#8217;d duck down behind his chair so he couldn't see my reflection in the mirror, put the make-up (which now looked like a spooky mask) on my hand, slowly raise it up behind his head and jiggle it, going, &#8220;OOODLE-OOODLE-DOOODLE-DE-OOOOHHH!&#8221; He would laugh like crazy, as if it were one of the funniest things he'd ever seen. I really enjoyed his childlike sense of humor; I could say or do any dumb thing and it would get a big laugh. I would then remove the remainder of his make-up, glue and adhesives and that would be it. We&#8217;d go home and get ready for the next day's shooting.

Fun and Games

When we were talking one day, I told Michael that when I was a little boy, I taught myself how to draw, which was pretty much the beginning of my becoming a make-up artist. He asked to see an example. I took a pen and drew a quick sketch of the Frankenstein monster. He liked it. He said that he and his brothers and sisters sometimes played a game to fight boredom: One of them would draw a few abstract lines on a piece of paper, give it to another sibling and say, &#8220;OK, now make a fire engine out of this, or a tree,&#8221; etcetera, and the other sibling had to complete the drawing in a certain amount of time.

When I played the game with Michael, I tried to trick him by drawing a few curvy lines that I felt did not suggest a cat. As far as I was concerned, these curvy lines looked nothing like a cat. So I said, &#8220;Go ahead, make a cat out of these lines!&#8221; And within 30 seconds he had drawn a cat. Not as I would have pictured one, standing on all fours, but a pussycat curled up asleep.

Then he made a couple new drawings on the spot, and I kept them with his blessing. One of the drawings was of a man&#8217;s face [see article for picture]. It&#8217;s pretty sketchy and kind of impressionistic, but there are a couple of eerie similarities between the drawing he made and his own face, later on, after he had so much plastic surgery done.

On the Outside

There's a phenomenon that frequently occurs when a make-up artist and an actor work together: instant intimacy. Make-up artists and hairstylists are kind of like psychiatrists or bartenders. You&#8217;re in the same room, physically close for hours at a time, sometimes for many days. Because people usually have the urge to talk, the subject matter often changes from chitchat to some very serious subjects. And though the two of us were only together to work on a movie, we got to know each other pretty well.

I asked Michael over for dinner one night. We had to keep quiet about it, because if anybody found out, word would spread like wildfire. It was 1978 and at age 19, Michael was already well-known around the world. So he came over to our apartment in Bergenfield, New Jersey with his armed bodyguard, Spence. Dinner was Cornish game hens and, by Michael&#8217;s request, Stove Top Stuffing, which he said the folks in his home town of Gary, Indiana referred to as &#8220;dressin&#8217;.&#8221; When he ate, he really dug in: He got food all over his face, all over the table, all over his clothes. He was very passionate about anything he did, and I suppose eating was one of those things.

We had a great time that night. Because I play guitar a little, I showed him how to play some easy chords on my acoustic guitar. He had always admired people who could play musical instruments and had often fantasized about being the lead guitarist in a rock band.

At that time, the comedian Robert Klein had made an appearance on Saturday Night Live; he came out with a harmonica, gave the band the downbeat by stomping his foot, and cried, &#8220;Lemme hear some blues!&#8221; The band struck up the introduction to a blues number and he began playing the harmonica with them, stomping his feet, leg pumping in time. After the opening 16 bars, he pulled the harmonica from his lips and, foot still stomping, sang, &#8220;I can't stop my leg, little darlin&#8217; ... I can't stop my leg, little guurrl!&#8221; Well, Michael got a big kick out of this. So while I played a blues chord progression on my guitar, Michael stomped his foot and sang, &#8220;I can&#8217;t stop my leg!&#8221; At one point while he was singing, he said, "Now listen to me, people&#8221; and I broke up because he was really getting into it. From this visit, I got the sense that he was a very normal, healthy kid.

So I got to know the great Michael Jackson a little. He told me once that whatever he happened to be doing&#8212;working on a movie, cutting a record, appearing live on stage&#8212;it was the most important thing in his entire life while he was doing it. It really showed. No matter what he was doing, his talent spoke&#8212;and sang, and danced&#8212;for itself.

Michael was a very special person whose life was a combination of extremes. He enjoyed normal, down-to-earth things, but he also earned lifetime membership to a very exclusive club. His talent, tempered by lifelong discipline, reached the hearts of countless admirers and reshaped music for all time. He was denied his childhood; I think he spent the rest of his adult life trying to live it for the first time. He was a big kid!

http://makeupmag.com/news/newsID/653/

Back